• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Engadget: Xbox Is Poised To Dominate The Next Console Generation

• Agree

Votes: 1,256 29.1%
  • Disagree

Votes: 3,063 70.9%

• Total voters
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
Let's look at the rough numbers.
Microsoft has sold about 150 million consoles since they entered the business over 3 generations.

Sony has sold 432 million consoles over 4 generation and maybe 90 million handhelds over 2 generations.

So Microsoft are running about 50 million per gen, Sony double that. This isn't even counting handhelds, Nintendo or other party's that have or could enter into competition.

Yes Engadget past evidence does state that Xbox will dominate.
So Sony released PS3 later and much more expensive with less 3rd party games while 360 was a success from the get go and had a a extra boost with Kinect yet Sony still managed to overtake 360 with PS3 in sales, after the mess that was the PS3.

And now we have e people think Xbox will outsell PS5 lets be honest it has no chance. Unless PS5 release is a flop with online only, no 3rd party support etc.
Sony best selling console sold 150 million units, Ms best selling got only 80 million.
Sony worst selling console got 80 total sales, Ms gost 20 million.
So we have a 2/1 and 4/1 scenario.
Patcher himself said this at the beginning of the gen, there are always at least 2x more people inclined to buy a PlayStation instead of an xbox

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
MS are certainly going to be more competitive next gen. Absolutely. Harsh lessons have been learned and Xbox has been completely elevated to a much higher level of importance to MS since Phil Spencer's promotion.

The level of investment into Xbox currently is night and day.

I agree that, despite Sony having the better reviewed games this year, MS have had a more exciting year. But that's excitement for the future.

Personally I'm a bit burned out by narrative driven third person action games and didn't finish any of Horizon, God of War or Spiderman. I'm also instantly put off any anime styling in games too. Never been a fan. So there's an opportunity for MS next gen.

It's also incontrovertible that Sony dropped indies hard half way through this gen and MS are much better there too. Sony needed indies at the start of the gen whilst their mega games were getting built. It worked. But MS have the diversity now with things Sony doesn't like Ashen and Below.

That said, kudos to Sony for PSVR. I loved mine for the 6 months I owned it. I hope that they drag MS into this sphere too, but totally get the MS view that wireless units will drive better adoption.

Also. MS are being louder about their future because of two reasons. Firstly, their present, games wise, isn't exciting enough to claim mindsshare. Secondly, their future plans are more complex than Sony I think so they have to get the messaging out early.

Can you imagine Sony coming out with PS5 going "Here's our mega console. Here's the games. Enjoy"... Then MS going. "Here's two consoles, but you don't need either. You can play on your phone or PC with a controller or mouse. Just sub to this and off you go".. It's a more complex message, but one I think is working.

I do think Sony will implement portability next gen. But like Apple, they do everything proprietary. So prepare to buy a Sony tablet to play on the go.

From everything but 1st party games we know about, the MS plans are more exciting to me than just another PlayStation with great games. But Sony may have other plans. I just like MS's interest in innovation more.

Will they "dominate"? Depends if you are still using the increasingly outdated sounding "consoles sold" metric. MS don't care if they sell you a console next gen. There's no profit in them anyway. They want to hook you into a subscription. That's the real money. On that metric I think they'll dominate, unless Sony counter. PS Now currently is nothing like Gamepsss will be next gen. I'm excited to play on the scarlett, then my phone on my commute, then at lunchtime on my work PC, then my tablet when on business.

But as mentioned, Sony aren't doing nothing. I just hope they don't just release PS5 and that's it. We're beyond that now.

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
I don't get the logic at all, they're not even outselling the competition today - they will have the potential of a 1:2 disadvantage going into next gen with ~66% of the market having their games locked to Sonys PS5...click bait IMO.

I mean, have MS even closed the gap at all? I'm pretty sure it's always been ~ 1:2.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just a few:
Controller for disabled people
xCloud (ok that one doesn't count yet)
Live
Integrated Cloud saves
Any XBox as a dev machine
Elite controller
GP
PlayAnywhere
BC
X1X

Anyway... I was writing my comment in the context of the Engadget article. Seems like a lot of people here are sensitive when it comes to pro-xbox stuff.

Honestly, all of this is good, but above all of them are games. I go where the games are, what plastic box they are on is irrelevant as long as the games are there.

Oct 27, 2017
Just a few:
Controller for disabled people
xCloud (ok that one doesn't count yet)
Live
Integrated Cloud saves
Any XBox as a dev machine
Elite controller
GP
PlayAnywhere
BC
X1X

Anyway... I was writing my comment in the context of the Engadget article. Seems like a lot of people here are sensitive when it comes to pro-xbox stuff.

Lol The persecution complex when someone challenges your hot take? The only thing you could say that is innovative in this list is the adaptive controller which is a great thing for disabled gamers, but other than that? All extensions or evolutions of thing that were already had. BC is innovative, but not PSNow despite it coming out before GamePass was even a thing? Ok guy.

H-I-M

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
I can understand were they are coming from. This gen Sony hasn't really done anything innovative and MS has done all the cool stuff. TBH I kinda expected Sony to lose current gen (before hardware was revealed) but they have bounced back nicely. I don't think Sony is a company that can hold their grip on the console business, they have done well to claim the top spot again this gen, but in the long run, I think they will lose (but maybe not to MS, maybe someone else will claim the throne). Sony is just not big enough or technological enough to really push the console business into the future.

Ofc this is IMHO.... next few years I see Sony delivering very strong software and not yielding their top dog spot. But MS will also deliver some kick ass hardware with great software. I expect a 60/40 split next gen in favour of Sony but maybe with the goodwill slowly evolving to MS.

Next gen might be one of the best for us consumers... I don't really want any company dominating. 30/30/30 split would be best for all IMHO.

You should definitely consider applying for a job at Engadget.

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I can see XBox doing very well next Gen but it isn't going to dominate. Might bet back to a more 50/50 split between them and Sony.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, all of this is good, but above all of them are games. I go where the games are, what plastic box they are on is irrelevant as long as the games are there.

Absolutely, given MS lack of games, and its current position within the market, its doing much better then it has any right to, so once the game do eventually hit, it's going to be interesting to see the eventual shift, as they excel in other significant areas, so bringing game content in line with thier work in services, online and hardware will result in an attractive product for gamers. Fixing an obvious problem (games) is perhaps why the article believes they're poised to do well, because it's not an unseen problem to fix, like Sega, who did have the games with DC but still weren't able to break through.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
Microsoft are not winning the UK next gen Sony have it on lock. Microsoft don't really have any thing to offer over Sony that can turn tides. FIFA is king here and it is heavily associated with playstation.
What a load of rubbish, they won the UK in the 360 era and are doing okay this gen. they have every chance of winning in their second strongest market !

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna happen in my country, Norway. Though, I can see them gaining some ground, here, and elsewhere, because of the acquisitions of new studios and by learning from their pre Xbox One release mistakes.

Deleted member 3897

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely, given MS lack of games, and its current position within the market, its doing much better then it has any right to, so once the game do eventually hit, it's going to be interesting to see the eventual shift, as they excel in other significant area. Fixing an obvious problem (games) is perhaps why the article believes they're poised to do well, because it's not an unseen problem to fix, like Sega, who did have the games with DC but still weren't able to break through.

MS is not doing well with exclusives just because they acquired a bunch of studios. Do you expect the regular person in the street to care about every acquisition they make like we do on ERA? No they don't, they care about the result, the product the acquired studios are releasing.

MS are still, for the regular person on the street, in the same position as they have always been, this changes when the products starts coming out.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Without 1st exclusives? This generation has proved otherwise.

I find very hard that a PS3 situation happens again. I can see ps5 to have a bigger and better competition but no way the next xbox will be a dominant machine.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
It's waaaaay to early to tell, and plus, internationally Xbox still has a very hard fight in front of them. With strong Sony offering, I think that not much will change [Xbox will retain healthy sales only in US and UK].

goonergaz

Nov 18, 2017
What a load of rubbish, they won the UK in the 360 era and are doing okay this gen. they have every chance of winning in their second strongest market !
Did you miss the part where they're sorting 1st party out ?

Ok, we get you're hopeful of the impossible ;)

Seriously though, last gen was a draw WW and this gen is a Sony clear victory - next gen if Sony offer BC there's going to be a really tough time getting people to switch sides...even if they start producing good titles (because it's not like Sony have nothing to offer).

Oct 27, 2017
Neither agree nor disagree. The Xbox brand has clearly signaled an interest in advancing game distribution, while Sony has focused the PlayStation brand on content--telling top-tier single-player stories. Your distribution platform is worthless without worthwhile content, and your content will go nowhere if it can't keep up with the systemic tech.

I think that there will be a bit of overlap between the two companies next generation, and certainly some trends between 'em--streaming games come to mind--but the market is about to get a whole lot more complicated.

I would be cautious with that...it paints a (wrong) picture of Playstation just being single-player gaming machine akin to "PSN was unplayable last gen". Have people forgotten that the biggest phenomenon this gen is a free2play title with a massive user-base on PS4 (and without a paywall)? PSnow isn't doing as bad as Era is saying either. We also have yet to see whether the all-in on gamepass initiative by MS will be a financial viable for them in the long run. Era threads based on "Phil says" at least are not providing crucial information in that regard and MS does more spinning than showing numbers. Trying to be like Netflix is fine, but there are some dark clouds on the horizon of Netflix's future, so the status "being Netflix" can mean shit in 5 years from now.

Regarding domination outside of the traditional console market, just look how fast things are moving: before MS was even able to fix W10 store and gain a little traction, Epic store emerged and will kick their balls before they can come anywhere close steam. Focus on services also means more potential competition. The console business has always been a red flag for other bigger companies because of the high entry level - it's a game with very high blinds. Imo before MS even comes close to dominating that market, I can see Google, Apple or whatever swoop in and win it all. Outside business related products, MS has never had that huge global hit, that "sexy" product for everyone in the mass market, so why do people have such enormous expectations when it comes to MS?

Last edited:

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Might sound silly to say but one exclusive for Sony above all others has me tied to PlayStation indefinitely. That would be Dreams (and I've not even got in on the Beta yet).

Sure though Microsoft has done enough that I'm receptive again for next gen, but they have to bring exclusives I care about.

The funny thing is, if they bring some kind of cheaper streaming box where I can play the next Halo for a low cost of entry then that's what I'll do, but PS5 is shaping up to me by next main console and where I'll play 99% of my games, barring a collossal cock up on their end. This as a long time Sony fan but primarily a hardcore Xbox 1 and 360 owner back in the day.

Games like Journey and TLOU got me hooked to PlayStation for the foreseeable. Dreams looks like a revolutionary "thing" that will probably soak up most of my free time creating and seeing what others have created.. I think that game could and probably will blow up into something massive. Xbox has nothing like it. No one has.
Yes, I was about to talk about the Dreams experiment. Sony has several teams teams doing GOTY AAA games. Sony has also PSVR and years of experience and already successful games like Astro-bot, Firewall and eventually Dreams in VR.

Buying a few small studios won't be enough to compete with all those diverse Sony exclusives in 2 years. It takes Sony and Nintendo like 5, 6 years to make GOTY worthy games. Dreams would have eventually needed more that that. Astro-bot concept started in 2013, done by a team that was doing AR stuff already more than 10 years ago.

Microsot will need much more commitment and time to compete with Sony. They should have bought those studios (and more) in 2013 and begun working on VR (and even streaming) more seriously (hardware and software) years ago.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Can you imagine Sony coming out with PS5 going "Here's our mega console. Here's the games. Enjoy"... Then MS going. "Here's two consoles, but you don't need either. You can play on your phone or PC with a controller or mouse. Just sub to this and off you go".. It's a more complex message, but one I think is working.

I do think Sony will implement portability next gen. But like Apple, they do everything proprietary. So prepare to buy a Sony tablet to play on the go.

I've been playing Tearaway [PS4] on my windows laptop.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
Just because they are sorting 1st party out MS is not gonna dominate with the snap of their fingers. It takes time and it requires change in minshare.
Never said they were all I stated was they are sorting it.

Ok, we get you're hopeful of the impossible ;)

Seriously though, last gen was a draw WW and this gen is a Sony clear victory - next gen if Sony offer BC there's going to be a really tough time getting people to switch sides...even if they start producing good titles (because it's not like Sony have nothing to offer).

It's not impossible for them to dominate the US and UK ;). Anyway the PlayStation will sell the most worldwide again next gen, but if Microsoft can sell 70 million consoles it'll be a great recovery.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
nah.. Playstation brand is too strong. If Sony doesn't get too arrogant again, Playstation will be the top dog again. But it will definitely be closer race next gen.

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Did you miss the part where they're sorting 1st party out ?

Did you miss the part where they are going to create new IPs when sony and nintendo have IPs with more than 10y in the making?

It's hard to create something new that make people care.

Look at The Witcher series, it took 3 amazing games to get traction and make people care about their next project. It won't be easy for Microsft to do it at all. They should go for big names like CD Project or Konami. This would make people
Really care about their 1st party exclusives.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
Not gonna happen in my country, Norway. Though, I can see them gaining some ground, here, and elsewhere, because of the acquisitions of new studios and by learning from their pre Xbox One release mistakes.

I think they'll gain ground everywhere. Even sworn Sony fans, if they see only two games they like next gen and own a PC, will sub for one or two months just to play them then cancel their sub. From the MS business model, that's what their after. Obsidian will do that by itself. Interestingly some gamers will think they're somehow sneaking the game from MS. They would have used a 14 day free sub. But they'll be doing precisely what MS want them to do. Test out the subscription. They'll come back. They always come back once content flows.

Plus I think at launch MS will have a £35 a month all access subscription for their new console with subs included. Sony have to match that or they'll lose some gamers. Why pay £399 for a console with one game when you can pay £35 for a console with hundreds of games that you can play on the go? It's such a no brainer I can see people double dipping on day one. In that situation MS wins because they have sold you a console AND the subscription. Sony only sold you a console.

Sony have to counter these moves by MS. I hope they do. I'd happily pay £70 a month for both consoles if they both released 1st party on their subscriptions.

Paxton25

May 9, 2018
Did you miss the part where they are going to create new IPs when sony and nintendo have IPs with more than 10y in the making?

It's hard to create something new that make people care.

Look at The Witcher series, it took 3 amazing games to get traction and make people care about their next project. It won't be easy for Microsft to do it at all. They should go for big names like CD Project or Konami. This would make people
Really care about their 1st party exclusives.
That's why they start with a bang and release the next Xbox with Halo! Lots of people care about halo and it was arguable the biggest franchise last gen and has done good numbers this gen.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
nah.. Playstation brand is too strong. If Sony doesn't get too arrogant again, Playstation will be the top dog again. But it will definitely be closer race next gen.

Yeah. It'll take a cock up and I hope they don't. But they have before and MS are changing the game. They're seeing Google as competitors now as well as Sony. Google entering the fray is more of a worry for Sony than just MS. Sony could get crowded out or be reduced to the Nintendo level of having its own niche and sticking to it.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe not next gen, but when the dust settles decades from now, MS will still be around and Sony might not.
Especially if everything does go cloud stream only (I hope not), because MS has the infrastructure, while Sony most certainly cannot compete on the same level.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing Tearaway [PS4] on my windows laptop.
Exactly.

That Sony and their services continue to get dismissed is amazing.

Folks with blinders on: But but but how, when are they gonna copy, match Game Pass?

Us trying to use logic: By allowing down loads on PSNow...

Sony allows downloads on PSNow. Goal post moving commences.

That some folks also acting like Game Pass is some new, untapped service is amazing. Game Pass at its basic has been done by Sony since PS Plus IGC.

EAAccess, Games with Gold comes out later....then Game Pass but Game Pass is some innovative revelation.

The content is has is different, innovative, radical, the service itself is not.

Don't let Sony just expand IGC to be more like Game Pass.....I hope they do that, just for the responses.

Last edited:

Expy

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. It'll take a cock up and I hope they don't. But they have before and MS are changing the game. They're seeing Google as competitors now as well as Sony. Google entering the fray is more of a worry for Sony than just MS. Sony could get crowded out or be reduced to the Nintendo level of having its own niche and sticking to it.
MS should be more worried about Google than Sony because the Xbox brand is much much weaker.

Deleted member 3876

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Two companies competing neck-and-neck is a far better situation for consumers than one getting so big they get a wee bit complacent, and is the more likely scenario anyway.

Deepthought_

Banned
May 15, 2018
Agree. It feels arrogant Sony is kind of coming back. I don't fully trust them not to do something slightly weird with PS4 bc on ps5 - like charge a small fee or something,

Arrogant Sony had BC early in the ps3s life

Only reason I can think why ps4 had no Bc was because the ps3 cell was a failure and they wanted to move on to different architecture I think

Last edited:

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly.

That Sony and their services continue to get dismissed is amazing.

I think it's just recency bias. Microsoft made announcements recently along the lines of future intentions to have 'everything, everywhere'.

Sony made announcements of the same intentions...5 years ago.

Microsoft's announcements are more recent in the memory but they're no more ambitious than Sony's stated goals.

Yes, Sony's implementation has room for improvement...but Microsoft's implementation needs to begin in the first place. And it's too easy to fall into the trap of idealising something that does not yet exist in the market vs something that has been iterated upon in the open for years, and continues to be iterated upon.

As for the promise of 'first party games day and date' on Gamepass - which seems to be the major buzz point for people over the PSNow model - and whether sony would match that, or risk disruption to their business... I don't think they have to match that promise in order to get a huge headstart on catalog appeal in their subscription service going into the next generation. If Sony debuts a backward compatible PS5, and puts most or all of their first party PS4 catalog on PSNow, they'll have a huge headstart on those fronts in the early years of the generation. It'll take a long period of very high quality 'day and date' first party releases on Gamepass to catch up to what Sony could do overnight with PSNow, IMO, and by the time they did, who knows what the PS5 content offering on the service will look like. Now whether Sony will or not, I don't know, but I rarely see much analysis of the strengths Sony could bring to bear in this discussion without necessarily disrupting their own new-releases model. The PS4 catalog, and Sony's hits, could be a huge plus for Sony on both the home hardware and sub/streaming front, certainly in the key early years of the next cycle. While we are imagining, let's imagine: it's 2020, you buy a PS5, and then for 15 or 20/month or whatever, you've got Bloodbourne, God of War, Spiderman, TLoU2, Dreams, and the rest all on tap? That would be a very tempting proposition I think.

And - of course - those games would be downloadable to your PS device or streamable to generics if you don't want to buy a PS4 or PS5. Netflix-style portability and streaming for PS content is here, now, and I'm not sure why it would go away or won't expand to more generic devices going forward.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2017
I don't agree with this simply due to the sheer amount of Japanese exclusives Sony gets. This generation showed that more American consumers are willing to partake in Japanese games like Yakuza and Persona. Microsoft don't have the clout in Japan to get these titles. Plus, Sony's Worldwide Studios have been mostly great successes and their boosted reputation will help them over the next generation.

I think what would slow them down would be pricing of the next console. If it's too high in comparison to Microsoft then they may lose but at least as far as their infrastructure goes, they'll be fine. I do think Microsoft will perform better though and their studio acquisitions should help on this front.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
A platform-agnostic 'Netflix for games' program, aka Game Pass is and will be the killer feature for Xbox going forward.

Article didn't seemed to skip that part entirely.

There's no question which box people will pick up if one offers a library of good games starting at 59.99 / 69.99 per game and the other offers access to library of good games for 9.99. Especially if there isn't a major disparity in the quality of the first-party launch lineup.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A platform-agnostic 'Netflix for games' program, aka Game Pass is and will be the killer feature for Xbox going forward.

Article didn't seemed to skip that part entirely.

There's no question which box people will pick up if one offers a library of good games starting at 59.99 / 69.99 per game and the other offers access to library of good games for 9.99. Especially if there isn't a major disparity in the quality of the first-party launch lineup.

Just like PSNow except for the $9.99 part?

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
lus I think at launch MS will have a £35 a month all access subscription for their new console with subs included. Sony have to match that or they'll lose some gamers. Why pay £399 for a console with one game when you can pay £35 for a console with hundreds of games that you can play on the go? It's such a no brainer I can see people double dipping on day one. In that situation MS wins because they have sold you a console AND the subscription. Sony only sold you a console.

I would not buy that at all. It's interesting for the real gamers, but the majority of buyers just play a few (sport) games a year and call it a day. It would cost almost 3000,- over the coarse of the gen. No way i'm paying that when buying everything separately is way cheaper.

Oct 2, 2018
They're really lacking in exclusives and some of the third parties they snapped up (i'm looking at you inxile - makes pretty ho-hum games).

Sony will still have their vanguard 1st party as will Sony. MS also suffers from PC syndrome - unless they have pure exclusives...not a chance.

Lys Skygge

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
While I don't think Xbox will dominate next generation, I do think it'll be a highly competitive generation between MS and Sony. MS has been pretty vocal about what they plan on doing, it makes me really interested in what Sony has up there sleeve.

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
They will probably do better but they aren't going to "dominate" unless Sony just does something totally bat shit crazy.

kanuuna

Oct 26, 2017
Just like PSNow except for the $9.99 part?
I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like in 2020. I can't compare the two by any other means than comparing current the library of games since it hasn't launched in my region.

I would love to see games like Death Stranding and Ghost of Tsushima launching as part of a games-on-demand program (similar to how Xbox currently offers first-party titles as part of the lineup for their service), but I'm not holding my breath.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MS is not doing well with exclusives just because they acquired a bunch of studios. Do you expect the regular person in the street to care about every acquisition they make like we do on ERA? No they don't, they care about the result, the product the acquired studios are releasing.

MS are still, for the regular person on the street, in the same position as they have always been, this changes when the products starts coming out.
I think me and you agree with the conclusion, but not the reasons on how it'll be achieved.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Sorry, but not yet. When I think about the games that would make me buy a console for, I don't think of Xbox. Even with the acquisitions, most of those studio make small scale games, so I don't see it happening next gen yet.

Maybe if they keep and grow the studio for another gen...

Lentic

Oct 27, 2017
They definitely are. The gaming industry is headed towards games as a service and cloud streaming. Those are two things that Microsoft has a significant head start on. I just can't see Sony realistically competing with Microsoft's cloud infrastructure.

Sony can't even run their store properly. I don't have a lot of confidence in them with network infrastructure.

Last edited:

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
No. Sony messed up in a number of extraordinary ways with PS3 that are unlikely to be repeated and still narrowly beat Xbox. They are also likely to have better early first party games to complement their system.

Oct 27, 2017
We'll see I guess, it's to soon to say anything, we really don't have that much of an idea on what next-gen even is, or when it's here. I need to see what's offered before really agreeing or disagreeing with the article.

But sure, Microsoft is going to have to work really hard to charm people outside of the UK and US, and I think that's going to benefit us all.