• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 4, 2017
Brazil
wow, its the same person responsible for all those bad articles about how MS is poised to dominate the nextgen where they complete ignore what Sony is doing.

Also, the first time she uses "anti-consumer" I was like

SingleComposedBlackfootedferret-size_restricted.gif

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

Yep. I saw this video come up in my feed yesterday and rolled my eyes. To be fair, I had some dude on Facebook arguing to me on a post where I said that doom and half life having new entries at the same time is cool - he was saying VR should be ILLEGAL because THIRTY PERCENT of the population cannot use it. Funny thing is I've done studies on VR and motion sickness through my PhD and linked to studies that show that the real situation was much more nuanced, and called the studies a straw man. He then went on to argue that Nintendo never makes products that even 1% of the population could not use and valve should be disbanded for making VR a thing. I pointed out how Valve isn't the only VR maker and not even the top headset maker and he called it a straw man.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I don't generally like to respond to an article like this, but...

Wow, what a trash article that's poorly researched at best and telling lies at worst, and sounds like someone mad that they either don't have VR or aren't excited about VR.

purseowner

From the mirror universe
Oct 25, 2017
UK
TIL that it is apparently 'anti-consumer' to not give every video game franchise a third numbered entry.

Jesus christ.

arit

Oct 29, 2017
But those can cause anticostumer bullshit. For example let's say you want to backup the savegames in your PC into an SD card so you can format your PC to upgrade to the next windows. Well too bad you either need to manually search for the save file of every single game (including hidden directories like appdata) or use a 3rd party software. If you don't have internet for that, too bad it will take working weeks to find the files. I HIGHLY disagree that all that effort so that i can play in "another" hardware isn't anti-costumer.
The usage of %appdata% is actually a Microsoft requirement to get desktop applications certified and one would call it best-practice.
Valve may offer the option to have a link to it in the interface, but even then developers would have to use it.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
The usage of %appdata% is actually a Microsoft requirement to get desktop applications certified and one would call it best-practice.
Valve may offer the option to have a link to it in the interface, but even then developers would have to use it.
God damn I hate Windows so much. Given that I don't even think there's a requirement that games have local save files, I think a good compromise would be an easy way to just download all of your cloud saves into a zip.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
This is full of:
  • lies
  • entitlement
  • bad research
  • assumptions portraied as facts
  • plain illogical/ conflicting stuff
It is clear, that this is either in bad faith, or just plain clickbait to get attention.
Why are we discussing this? so bad, its not worth getting anny reaction

Well... shure, best practice, but as far as i know not for every file, and i would bet, they dont have a definition of "game saves data", i think its for "configurations". And i had enough games that saves it elsewhere.

Regardless, a simple menu option in Steam called "open save folder" or "backup saves to..." would be enough.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I'll bite but this is the last comment I make because discussion here in ERA always revolves around insulting "you don't understand the terms"/ "slight inconvenience " (despite being issues i can't play my games). The donwplaying of issues is at all time high.

You do not know what anti-consumer means. Those are user experience or QOL upgrades that would be welcome, but are not anti-consumer in the least. "You are being very reductive of what anti-costumer can mean" - no, words have meanings and you should know them before using terms you do not understand.
As mentioned by sheaaaa, those are QOL features/improvements that could be made but do not prevent you or oppose you from using Steam or the content you've purchased on it (or are attempting to purchase as the case may be). To not implement them is maybe not the most user friendly, but are not anti-consumer, by definition. Does the fact that you can do none of those things on any other platform or console also mean all other DD storefronts and platforms are anti-consumer as well in your view?
read below for the rest but the to answer directly your question. YES all other storefronts and platforms are more anti-costumer than valve.
While i obviously prefer valve (as you can see from my profile) my point was that valve still has a lot it should improve.
So now anti consumer means "things that annoy or cause slight inconvenience to customers"... Oookaaaayyyy
That is the interpretation of the word for a while now in many communities. It really hurts the true meaning of the word. People watering it down with all those overreactions, when people are disappointed with a product or a company. People, like the guy from the video, tries to give his personal criticism more meaning by labeling it "Anti-Consumer".
According to the Portuguese dictionary "cliente" (costumer) = "pessoa que vai comprar a uma loja ou ponto de venda" (person that buys from a store). "anti" = "exprime noção de oposição" (express a notion of oposition)
In Portuguese the terms literally means " oposition to the person that is buying from a store". So if in English means something else then i'd appreciate if explaining it specially with sources. I literally have in my profile that i am portuguese for this very reason.

So yes any thing that forces inconvenience to me for using a product for no good reason is anti-costumer because it is creating a barrier between costumer and the product. There is obviously degrees in which this is done. I not being able to acess a game because it needs to update (and i don't have internet to DL it) is a different importance to forums being filled with mysogenist/racist/harassment that the devs and most "normal" people have to deal with.

Now i think most of you think anti-costumer means trampling the costumers rights. Which is not that anti-costumer means in portuguese at all. Bypassing costumer rights is illegal and due to software companies being HUGE it usually takes quite a bit until someone forces them to comply with the law. How many EULAs break the law and nobody does anything? Not following the costumer rights is not anti-costumer its civil code violation/crime.

Alongside the above its extremely disturbing seeing you all use "consumer" which in portuguese literally means to eat without regard or to ingest mindlessly . Reading that as a portuguese national makes it very insulting. It sounds like the costumers are just things that are there to eat content and nothing else. It completely degrades the costumer. In fact its a word that is very rarely used outside the food industry. Nobody here will say you consume video games. I find it baffling that is used int his forum so commonly. We have anti-costumer and anti-client yet all you prefer anti-consumer which of the 3 is the only one that degrades the costumer.

I have marked in red the biggest problems, with which I agree. The rest is of relatively little importance, consumer-wise.
IMO that should be a warning. It might be little importance to you but its important to me, a lot. I mean you really are ok to losing access to a game because of a DRM?
I will half jokingly say that i'd appreciate if all games older than 5 years you have are sent to me. Since you don't mind losing access to old games i'm sure i can set them up on my local hospital.

Uh... "I don't like it" isn't even a valid refund reason in a country like Australia which has very pro consumer refund rules.

• Discoverability is being worked on all the time right now with their experimental discovery tools
  • I can't think of a worse thing to introduce than a digital second hand market. How it is right now is fine. If someone plays the game, they pay the publisher/developer of that game. If you think it's too expensive, wait for the *inevitable* sale, of which there will be plenty. All it takes is some patience.
  • There *is* a way to access previous versions of the game, it just requires the dev to make use of the beta branches. There's quite a few who do.
  • You want Steam to *force* devs to use a specific path for save files? (Appdata tip, you can easily get there with Run -> %appdata%)
  • Where's the issue here? Use it and you'll find out. Unless you're talking about trading/selling which there's no reason for Steam to support and if that's something you do you really should just keep proper track of it.
So "i don't like it" is a VALID reason in the EU for most products for 14 days. Source
Software and digital purchase are still not included which is in IMO a very big flaw.
So i can buy a 100€ DVD player and if i don't like return it. But a 100€ CE edition that i don't like i'm forced to have it.
IMO the lack of rights for digital costumers is the reason that digital is a mess with "licenses" that can't be transmited and other things like that.
It makes,IMO, 0 sense from the costumer point of view that if I buy a physical game i can resell it but a digital game i can't despite being literally the same product with the exception of the way data is transmitted.

You can access previous versions of the game through console commands:

Did not know this was possible. thank you

There are quite a few games that don't save in appdata. I'm not an engineer so maybe i' m wrong but when save/load system is created it can be made to load from whatever directory you want. Is it really necessary to have save files in a hidden directory? if yes how come many games manage to have it in either the documents folder or in the game folder?

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I started playing steam because a lot of games that were expensive in other platforms were cheap as fuck on steam. How is it anti-consumer?

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
So "i don't like it" is a VALID reason in the EU for most products for 14 days. Source
Software and digital purchase are still not included which is in IMO a very big flaw.
So i can buy a 100€ DVD player and if i don't like return it. But a 100€ CE edition that i don't like i'm forced to have it.
IMO the lack of rights for digital costumers is the reason that digital is a mess with "licenses" that can't be transmited and other things like that.
It makes,IMO, 0 sense from the costumer point of view that if I buy a physical game i can resell it but a digital game i can't despite being literally the same product with the exception of the way data is transmitted.
Ill ignore the rest and correct you factually here:
You get 2 weeks for physical stuff, when you ORDER it. If you buy it in the store? no.
Why do most stores still do this? because :
  • people would by online to get the option -> less customer
  • they realised that the amount of returning products is offset with the amoung of "yeah, not shure if i need it, but if i can return if i dont like it ill try it" customers, since , even with the right, for most people returning something is a hassle.
The legislative came from the difference of retail and mail order:
In the store you could check the product for defects, functionality etc, and decide if you like it. Mail order did not allow for that.

You could argue that media products even in retail dont count to that. (and they dont, usually you can't return a cd, dvd, vinyl, etc), since the value of these products is "consumed" by playing/seeing/hearing/reading it.
You dont get your money back for contert tickets, movie tickets, theater tickets...

Im not arguing FOR or AGAINST these policies, im just explaining that there is a difference between product types, and where you were factually incorrect. (if you're speaking of a concrete legislation in a country in the eu, maybe, but you said "in the EU".

My Personal opinion in "should you be able to get your money back for media you did not like"... its mixed.
I understand the sentiment, especially with big productions... but at the same time, youre "consuming" the content, and the cost were there (more in physical form then digital, digital is a whole other beast), and it would desinscentivise to invest in more risky endavors. Mind you, the main industrie is way to save and we already have this problem, bit now were in critiquing capitalism...

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anti-consumer refers to business practices regarding money transaction that unfairly puts a business at a higher leverage than the consumer in the open marketplace. I.e. things like price fixing, a coordinated effort to currtail a consumer's ability to shop around for a better price, or price gouging on essential items like medical supplies because "voting with your wallet" is literally impossible.

Sure, you could take the word consumer and the prefix anti in the most literal way to understand it as "anything I (the consumer) do not like" but that's not how it's used in conversation. It'd be like refering to any video game as "virtual reality" since they are quite literally virtual simulations of physical reality, when it's pretty obvious what VR refers to.

People using "anti-consumer" to refer to things not really related to marketplace transactions simultaneously sound like someone to me who was just recently introduced to the word, and also someone who is trying to give their distaste for something more gravitas with dramatic sounding language.

"I can't change the UI too much" is not anti-consumer. Using a term like that to describe UI complaints, is rushing into a conversation about economics to say "don't forget about icon placement!"

Last edited:

Lost Knight

Mar 17, 2019
West Virginia
Valve isn't perfect, but they've done far more good than harm in this industry. Steam made devs make PC ports again, it gave indies a lot of opportunities to shine. Valve is a pioneer in this industry of delivering digital goods and many companies copies them since and made the PC platform flourish after the early 2000's nightmare of publishers abandoning it. People have been asking for a game like Half-Life Alyx for years and when they finally make it you call them anti-consumer for making it?

Valve are no angels, but you really need a good faith argument for me to take you seriously.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah, if you take anti-consumer literally, and think it through to the end, you come to the conclusion, that every practice that is not "gift your product to every person" is anty consumer. Simply "break even cost" would be anti customer, since every customer nor has to pay something (-) and the producer is getting something (+).

Capitalism is essentially anti customer/consumer inthis chain of thought.

blitzblake

Banned
Jan 4, 2018
Given that L4D3 would print money, valve is actually being pro consumer in these financially uncertain times. They're sparing us that compulsory purchase.

Rosol

Oct 29, 2017
The sad thing is they didn't support their own feature - family share with this specific game, kind of strange when almost all other vr games on steam support it. May be the first time a platform holder has restricted this on their own game on their own platform.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
The sad thing is they didn't support their own feature - family share with this specific game, kind of strange when almost all other vr games on steam support it. May be the first time a platform holder has restricted this on their own game on their own platform.
They did say it's not really about the sales but I'm sure they want some of their money back.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And what does she even mean by this?

With what kind of logic does someone reach that type of conclusion?

Not surprising coming from Engadget as they've whined about this during their review as well.
Imagine calling Valve anti-consumer after they've single-handedly revived Linux gaming, released their new flagship title on all VR platforms all the while all the Ubisofts of the world exist, that's a hell of a bubble to live in.

s0l0kill

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My family share is working for this game, what's the issue?

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Yep. I saw this video come up in my feed yesterday and rolled my eyes. To be fair, I had some dude on Facebook arguing to me on a post where I said that doom and half life having new entries at the same time is cool - he was saying VR should be ILLEGAL because THIRTY PERCENT of the population cannot use it. Funny thing is I've done studies on VR and motion sickness through my PhD and linked to studies that show that the real situation was much more nuanced, and called the studies a straw man. He then went on to argue that Nintendo never makes products that even 1% of the population could not use and valve should be disbanded for making VR a thing. I pointed out how Valve isn't the only VR maker and not even the top headset maker and he called it a straw man.
Did you mention to him how Nintendo has made 2 separate VR headsets themselves?

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Did you mention to him how Nintendo has made 2 separate VR headsets themselves?

Of course I did. I also mentioned how they do make products that cant be used by everyone, like ring fit and games with mandatory motion controls. He called it a straw man. Like I said, the conversation was completely detached from reality.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ok, let's go with order.

no, making a videogame trying to increase the adoption of your platform is not anti-consumer. By this standard pretty much every company is anti consumer by the only act of making business.
Don't get me wrong, it can be technically true by dictionary definition, but reality is it's an understandeable practice. What is anti consumer is giving less to the end consumer for no benefit.
basically, stripping dlc out of the game to sell them later is anti consumer, microtransactions on retail 60 bucks game are egregiously anti consumer...making a good game exclusive to your platform because you want to make it appealing is not.

Same goes for "valve doesn't give us the games we want, so it's anti consumer". this is just a ridicolous stance. Valve doesn't have to give us the games we want as much as we don't have to buy the stuff they are making instead. That's how the market works, a company makes a business proposition and the customer decides if it's worth the money they ask for. Of course sometimes customers don't act logically or are victim of predatory practices (see the microtransactions cited earlier), but it's not the case here.

Also i think she kind of missed the train by several years about those gabe memes and him being some kind of meme sevior of the pc industry..haven't seen those kind of memes for years and years...probably if you go looking into some subcultures of valve fans they are alive and well, but they are nowhere as widespread as they used to be.

i do agree though that it's ridicolous when people go up in arms against the epic store because forces people to use their platform to play certain games, when steam had and still has a chokehold on the entire pc market and people are ok with it because apparently steam is not additional software you have to use to ply certain games while the epic store is...

kinf od reminds me of those people up in arms because bayo 2 was exclusive to nintendo, enraged that they had to buy a nintendo console to play it.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
in arms against the epic store because forces people to use their platform to play certain games, when steam had and still has a chokehold on the entire pc market and people are ok with it because apparently steam is not additional software you have to use to ply certain games while the epic store is...

There is a difference between criticising another store/PC-plattform and going in Arms.

One one hand you have people just shouting "FUCK EPIC!", on the other you have a lot of legitimate criticism, because Steam, as a plattform/storefront/launcher offers you far more than EGS does and to some people those features became standard features for those people. For most "console like games" I am using BPM exclusively, because my TV is in another room and with an extended desktop (since it has a different resolution than my PC), it would be a pain in the ass to just play them on my TV every time I start it. With BPM I start it, it starts on my TV in the native TV resolution with just one button click.

Furthermore I share my library with my wife, who plays some of my games on her Macbook.

For others they are Linux gamers.

Others use their DS4, which creates problems in EGS (Try using DS4 in the Subnautica EGS version and compare it to the Steam version).

Others want Achievements. I mean EGS is out for 1 year and 4 months now (at least this version) and achievements are still on their to-do list.

I feel there is A LOT to criticise Valve/Steam for. But this video is not it and full of "false facts", ignoring real facts etc.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
I wake up in the middle of the night clenching my fists and yell, "Valve how dare you make the game! How dare you!"

Dec 14, 2019
Did Tim Sweeney pay her? Valve isn't perfect, but they have so many consumer friendly features, it's crazy. I'm still waiting for Valve to release a valid alternative to GeForce Now with publishers support. When it happens I'm in heaven.