• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Morten88

Dec 22, 2019
Why are Engadget trying to ruin their reputation with a video and article with so much wrong information? How was this accepted?

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
People are mad, so it's only natural that the criticisms in the video are entirely salient lol

Y'all can enjoy your game and still recognize Valve is ultimately still a tech firm with obscene wealth and responsibility to very few. Half-Life coming back doesn't erase that. Nothing does.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area
Let me rephrase myself then: it's ok to be upset about a company requiring an expensive peripheral to play the latest game in a popular series. Why is that so difficult to accept? It doesn't make Valve evil, it just means a lot of people will be left out, and it's perfectly fine for them to be upset about that.

Just wondering does this logic apply to new consoles? If say HZD 2 is exclusive to the next gen, would it be anti-consumer for HZD fans to require an expensive purchase ($500) to play the latest game?

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
People are mad, so it's only natural that the criticisms in the video are entirely salient lol

Y'all can enjoy your game and still recognize Valve is ultimately still a tech firm with obscene wealth and responsibility to very few. Half-Life coming back doesn't erase that. Nothing does.
Despite valve obscene wealth and responsability to only themselves they literally push the market forward for both devs and costumers.
IMO its weird saying that a valve has a bad attitude while ignoring the fact that all other platform holders keep trying to find ways to exploit the constumer.

While valve is developing a game which can be played in their competitors hardware we have sony/nintendo/microsoft with their shitty exclusives. How can valve have a bad atitude when it allows for occulos VR and HTC VR to play their game?

Did you see the meltdown sony fanboys had when HZD was announced for PC? can you imagine the meltdown if Sony/nintendo/microsoft essentially allowed their games on all platforms?

Alongside the above it is IMO ,expect able that jornalists/editors do a bit for fact checking before publishing stuff. The fact that the video has stuff that is outright wrong just shows how little effort was put into the video.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I think her point was that Valve fanboys eat anything Valve does without complaining and suffer Stockholm syndrome, so people disliking their video is due to them being Valve fanboys that dont want ot see the obvious Valve being bad.

This makes no seeeeeeeeense.... who is playing Artifact? WHO!? Anybody? And TFT IMO is hilariously superior to Battle Chess or whatever they call DOTA's equivalent.

Where does this narrative that everything Valve puts out gets accepted and praised come from? Its so completely stupid.

Just wondering does this logic apply to new consoles? If say HZD 2 is exclusive to the next gen, would it be anti-consumer for HZD fans to require an expensive purchase ($500) to play the latest game?

This is a great question with consoles also now being 300+. I desperately want to see the spin on this, because now EVERY console exclusive has to fall under this banner or folks just need to admit that the argument is silly from the outset. Lets keep that same energy and go on about how Super Mario games are anti consumer.

Last edited:

Micael

Oct 28, 2017
I have seen some leaps in logic regarding the role stockholders have in corporations, but implying that stockholders help with consumer rights is the kind of leap not even superman can achieve.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same author
www.engadget.com

The Epic Games Store is the best thing that could happen to Steam

By the time The Game Awards cameras switched off on December 6th, after three hours of sternum-pounding concerts, raucous celebration and heartfelt speeches, the video game landscape had changed in a massive way. In the show's first hour, the studio behind Fortnite and the Unreal Engine launched...
Same author

www.engadget.com

Epic Games throws down an ultimatum for Steam

Epic Games threw a grenade into the world of digital distribution when it revealed its own storefront late last year, complete with a better deal for developers than anything offered by Steam, the longstanding king of PC gaming. The Epic Games Store has a revenue-share model of 88 percent for...

she realized those articles gives clicks. Really Engadget's Grayson

Spark

Dec 6, 2017
Same author
www.engadget.com

By the time The Game Awards cameras switched off on December 6th, after three hours of sternum-pounding concerts, raucous celebration and heartfelt speeches, the video game landscape had changed in a massive way. In the show's first hour, the studio behind Fortnite and the Unreal Engine launched...
Same author

www.engadget.com

Epic Games threw a grenade into the world of digital distribution when it revealed its own storefront late last year, complete with a better deal for developers than anything offered by Steam, the longstanding king of PC gaming. The Epic Games Store has a revenue-share model of 88 percent for...

Wow, either they're getting paid by Epic or they have woefully journalistic integrity. Or both.

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same author
www.engadget.com

Same author

www.engadget.com

🤔

nded

Nov 14, 2017
People sure are mad that Valve made a video game. Now I understand why they didn't make a Half-Life game for over a decade.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
This makes no seeeeeeeeense.... who is playing Artifact? WHO!? Anybody? And TFT IMO is hilariously superior to Battle Chess or whatever they call DOTA's equivalent.

Where does this narrative that everything Valve puts out gets accepted and praised come from? Its so completely stupid.

And people accepted paid mods right after Valve introduced those.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Same author
www.engadget.com

Same author

www.engadget.com

:Omegalul:

Oct 26, 2017
Doing more research than an failing elementary student would be a good start.
It would but unfortunately even mainstream media is currently failing by that metric, not to mention the white house.

Calling it anti-consumer is a bit hyperbolic (just as it is in the video) but certainly a lot of consumers would be disappointed.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
Fair enough, but even if they were valve's most profitable products it doesn't change the fact that an independent company with bucket-loads of money can make whatever the hell it wants to make.

So companies that aren't publicly traded are afforded a creative freedom in a creative industry that other traded companies dont; in that they arent forced to pump out sequel after sequel after sequel to their past hits in order to hopefully heighten the chance of future success by betting on a sure thing rather than just trying new stuff that they enjoy?

Im trying to follow here, but its still making this video looks stupid from my position. Yes, not going public allows the company to retain complete autonomy if they are successful in the marketplace. To what or whom do we owe this flash course in the benefits and drawbacks of IPO's or whatever?

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
I made a video about how I am right and that how many people think I am wrong, which makes me more right. I imagine that this will be a video where many people tell me I am wrong, proving once again, that I am right. God I love being right.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I thought it was a parody until I saw she wrote the other controversial article about epic game store.

I could agree with that, but this? This is too much. It's not even directed at valve itself, but at its fans? This is not a article, is someone venting. Why people vent on the internet instead of talking to their close friends and family?

Oct 31, 2017
She keeps saying Anti consumer but it's a very poorly constructed argument beside the revenue share part.
There would be a lot to say about the "revenue share part", starting with dispelling the notion that Valve invented that kind of split (they didn't) or that it was some abusive, monopolistic practice when it was introduced (it wasn't, if anything it was far more alluring than any other self-publishing option previously available) and then questioning the (somehow rather common) claim that Valve never does nothing to deserve it.

But even putting ALL of that aside, it's still not clear how that would be "anti-consumers". It literally doesn't affect consumers in any way.
At most, it could be made a misguided attempt to argue that it's "anti-developers".

Last edited:

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Can´t disagree with anything said. Not that these are new points. Cue Jim Sterling link XY.
Valve has been laughably anti-consumer since 2004 (Steam lead to a swift lawsuit in Germany but the service itself transformed a lot over the years) and is frankly less likable that EA or Activision. Or dare I say Epic. Not that I am crazy about any of them. They released good games along the way of course. Alyx is one of them.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
The level of this video is almost, almost "The Verge 2,000 dollar PC Build" where after this they treat you as a joke of a site.

HebrewHammer

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I watched the video and think her points are valid.

What am I missing?

I mean, they're not damning to the point of not using Steam or buying Valve games - but still - valid criticism, no?

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
ea25284ebeb538c2e901c15967923af63964de521cbbc3b934c7c4c0901871d2_1.jpg

Every fucking time.
Forgive me for being way late but holy shit this is amazing.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Let me rephrase myself then: it's ok to be upset about a company requiring an expensive peripheral to play the latest game in a popular series. Why is that so difficult to accept? It doesn't make Valve evil, it just means a lot of people will be left out, and it's perfectly fine for them to be upset about that.

Meh. It's ok to be upset, but not logical. They're not requiring an expensive peripheral to play the latest game in a popular series. They made the latest game in a popular series on an expensive peripheral, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
One of the most insane videos I've seen. Why would you ever want your name associated with this trash? Imagine going to another employer and being like "yeah here's some of my work" and linking this video.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
I'm not sure it's "anti consumer", but I do think Valve has done a disservice to gamers by not porting their last gen games to PS4/XB1. They could have paid one of the many studios outscoring it this gen, and made hand over fist on even that half hearted attempt. Left 4 Dead 2 and Portal 2 alone would have sold millions easy.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure it's "anti consumer", but I do think Valve has done a disservice to gamers by not porting their last gen games to PS4/XB1. They could have paid one of the many studios outscoring it this gen, and made hand over fist on even that half hearted attempt. Left 4 Dead 2 and Portal 2 alone would have sold millions easy.
I'm not sure it's "anti consumer" but I think MS and Sony have done a disservice to gamers by not providing full backwards compatibility. They could have paid any number of engineers and made hand over fist even on that half hearted attempt. All that backward compatibility would have sold millions easy.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The game is not designed for non-VR interaction. At all. It would not have been a port in any capacity and would have to be a redesign. They had a vision that could only be fulfilled using the VR medium. Not sure why that's so bad of an idea. Otherwise, I guess I can see why Portal 2 and L4D2 could have been on current gen consoles but eh.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Can´t disagree with anything said. Not that these are new points. Cue Jim Sterling link XY.
Valve has been laughably anti-consumer since 2004 (Steam lead to a swift lawsuit in Germany but the service itself transformed a lot over the years) and is frankly less likable that EA or Activision. Or dare I say Epic. Not that I am crazy about any of them. They released good games along the way of course. Alyx is one of them.

Outside of GoG, I can't think of anyone more customer oriented than Valve. Clearly you've never had the pleasure of dealing with the console platforms.

SimpleCRIPPLE

Oct 28, 2017
I watched this video the other day, and all I could think of during it was "calling a company anti-consumer because they won't make a sequel" is the most entitled bullshit take I've heard in a while.

Deleted member 18324

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I think the thing that drives irrational Valve hatred more than anything here is seeing a company become wildly more successful outside of the console duopoly rather than in it, which is why you have posts like the above calling it a "disservice to gamers" that Valve won't fuck around with porting old games that run on a toaster on Valve's own platform