• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
ea25284ebeb538c2e901c15967923af63964de521cbbc3b934c7c4c0901871d2_1.jpg

Every fucking time.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
So um, why are they targeting Valve when there's far worse examples out there? I couldn't even get past the intro, it sounds like an angry forum fanboy.

If this is a dig at VR games being made for VR because VR is expensive...duh? Technology has to start somewhere before it can improve.

Verchod

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry I got bored two minutes in. Clearly a quiet week in the office.

They can run the business how they want, and consumers can choose to consume those offerings and support them, or not.
It's not my business, it's theirs.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
"Valve is anti-consumer and ignores what people want"
Few minutes later
"People are praising HL Alyx everywhere"

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
Video is going to get a lot of dislikes and they'll take it as though that proves their point. Not the fact that they are flat out wrong about multiple topics lol.

TF2 is almost 13 years old and they supported that game a lot. They won't do it forever.

They didn't bring Campo in because they were out of writers. The main writer worked on Episodes 1 and 2 and the original writer was involved.

Valve likes to try new things and I think that's good for the industry instead of rehashing the same titles over and over.

Turned into an Epic Game Store ad at the end.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
in the last ten minutes, 400 people have 'disliked' this video, and 0 people 'liked' the video, with one person actually undoing their like

I'm rolling here

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Here's my problem. When the game comes out, Engadget will review Alyx. And that review will add to the game's Metacritic and Opencritic rating. Considering this video/article (written by the Senior Editor at Engadget, no less), how do we know they will give it a fair review?

Oct 27, 2017
This is kind of a weird video. Opinions and all but I'm not really sure their conclusion follows reality in any sense.

That being said, the fact that they went prequel seems like something of a troll to me. I'm sure it isn't, but it reminds me of when David Lynch was given the opportunity to do a film wrap up to Twin Peaks and he made a prequel instead.

But if we follow that pattern, we only have to wait like 20 after Alyx to get the sequel to 2.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
Half-Life 2 was the first title that made Steam a requirement

Didn't CS require this first?

Also, while I kiiiiiind of understand the 'take' going on here, it's also hilariously poorly titled, and doesn't make most of its points very well.

edit:

Like....how is 'not making the game I want them to' any more anti-consumerist than any other thing? The 'customer' isn't always right, lmao.

Oh, and here come the EGS talking points....eesh.

Yas

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Arctic Circle, Finland
This video felt like it's trying to get hate clicks and visibility for Engadget's YouTube and own page. A very weird video I was watching. I hope the reporter is not shred to pieces for presenting (hopefully) her own opinion on this, even though I disagree with almost everything.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
This is kind of a weird video

That being said, the fact that they went prequel seems like something of a troll to me. I'm sure it isn't, but it reminds me of when David Lynch was given the opportunity to do a film wrap up to Twin Peaks and he made a prequel instead.

But if we follow that pattern, we only have to wait like 20 after Alyx to get the sequel to 2.

Why would it be a troll. The seven hour war wasnt really explained much and thats what people were asking about since HL2, because this is a huge part in the HL story that needs to be explained and fleshed out.
Besides that, Valve already said you should have played up to HL2: Episode 2 to play Alyx, so we do not even know if the whole game is a true prequel.

Also Gabe Newell literally said yesterday in the IGN interview HL is important for Valve in the next 10 years and more titles will come.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Engadget, can you make one on Nintendo, Square, and Kojima too? I mean afterall, Mario, Final Fantasy, and Metal Gear all jumped from 16 bit to 32 consoles when people were just wanted another 2D game from each franchise, and in the case of Final Fantasy and Metal Gear, totally jumped to a competitor.

Oh, also do one for Ninja Theory, Insomniac, and a whole host of other developers.

Deleted member 2840

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I only read the article and it almost gave me a brain aneurysm, so I won't try the video(that's possibly the same thing as the article). But from the article:
What a shitshow of actual, factual falsehoods, hyperboles, exaggerations and completely bizarre takes. What someone said earlier applied, it felt like a Grayson article cranked to 11.

Oct 27, 2017
Why would it be a troll. The seven hour war wasnt really explained much and thats what people were asking about since HL2, because this is a huge part in the HL story that needs to be explained and fleshed out.

Besides that, Valve already said you should have played up to HL2: Episode 2 to play Alyx, so we do not even know if the whole game is a true prequel.

I don't think it's actually a troll, I just think it's funny that they know what everyone wants and they decided to go the opposite direction because they do in fact, do what they want, Possibly the only valid point in the video. Which is fine, that's what creators should do when they have the means to enact that vision

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
If I get one thing out of 2020 it would be to stop the extreme over-usage of the term "anti-consumer".

It's been beaten to death and it's no longer meaningful.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The main points are:
-HLA is best played on Index. Well a VR game is best played on the best VR headset of the moment.DUH

I've always found this point baffling. Certainly, the Index being a premium headset is going to offer a slightly better experience. But it's not like you're getting a significantly hampered experience on another headset. I'm still getting the full experience on my Vive. As are the people with an Oculus Quest or a Windows Mixed Reality headset.

Oct 25, 2017
The video went out of its way to paint fans of Valve very negatively, like they have stockholm syndrome. Just because they are looking forward to Alyx, buying an expensive Valve Index kit, made Gaben memes, or prefer to use Steam. That specifically is really crappy and unnecessary.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's an 8-minute long video about how Valve is bad because they won't make the video games she wants them to make.

How did this get made?

Absolute

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
The gaslighting of anyone ok with this having stockholm syndrome is probably the most embarrassing thing about it.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017
The article was just astonishingly stupid and borderline incoherent. The term "anti-consumer" has lost whatever meaning it ever had.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Hey I have this shitty opinion, and also anyone that doesn't agree with me has stockholm syndrome. If you dislike this statement you prove my point, lol.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
So um, why are they targeting Valve when there's far worse examples out there? I couldn't even get past the intro, it sounds like an angry forum fanboy.

If this is a dig at VR games being made for VR because VR is expensive...duh? Technology has to start somewhere before it can improve.
No it doesn't. It was supposed to take off yesterday, I mean 3 years ago. And it was supposed to do this without a killer app. Why? Because I'm an experienced journalist and I know how these things work.

At least, that's their line of thinking.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
And what does she even mean by this?

Whit what kind of logic does someone reach that type of conclusion?

The whole 'valve fans have stockholm syndrome' aspect and thus are hating on my video aspect, I would imagine.

(Never mind the fact that it's a fallacious argument that only serves to detract from criticism)

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So she's insinuating that the only way someone could reasonably have issues with her video is if they're a blind Valve fan oblivious to the "truth" she's presenting?

What a crock of shit!

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Anti consumer:

Proton, so Linux players can play Windows games without much problems.
Steam Remote Play together, so you can play couch coop games with friends, who do not own the game.
SteamLink, so you can stream the games to every Android device everywhere.
Family Sharing, so you can share games with your family and friends.
Controller configuration, so you can use whatever controller on Steam you want.

Anti-Consumer.
This. Working on technological things like this is good. Even when they were trying to do Steam Machines and Steam Controller, I was glad to see them trying that (even though it didn't end well).

Hell if you want to make the argument purely based on "They don't make games!!!!" that's not even true!

Since Portal 2 Valve put out the following:

Counter-Strike Global Offensive*
Dota 2*
Artifact
Dota Underlords*
The Lab**
Half-Life Alyx

*These games are still regularly updated with new content.

**You could argue not counting The Lab as a game because it's more of a tech demo, which is fair.

I know lots of people complain about TF2's lack of updates, but the game has been around since 2007. It had it's glory years of getting updated quite frequently, to the degree Dota 2 and CSGO get updated today.

I think their ventures into VR are a good idea, as it was a new platform and fairly uncharted ground. Based on all the footage of Alyx, I can confidently say that there's no VR game quite like this one, and I think this will truly break ground in the VR space.

As it's been mentioned many times in this thread, I highly recommend watching the interview with Gabe Newell and Robin Walker that went up yesterday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0zXkwLs_lo

One thing that gets discussed is Valve being a private company and not having to meet a deadline with a new game every quarter, or year, or something. They can invest in things like enhancing Steam, VR, controllers, hardware, Proton, etc. Regardless of that though, even before Alyx, Valve was and still is making games. They don't "count to 3" and have even joked about that themselves in the Dota 2 Gabe Newell Mega Kills pack. Just because Valve isn't making the games you always want does not mean they are not making games.

Lots of people always cite that announcement video reaction of Artifact at The International. Was Artifact the thing people expected or wanted? No, it wasn't. I think Artifact was still a great product marred by some poor design choices and miscommunications that led to it's demise. They tried to treat it like a physical card game even though it was a digital one and that just doesn't really work for what is still a digital card game. The game itself was excellent and I had a ton of fun playing it while people were still playing it, I just hope that remade version comes out some day, but I am not getting my hopes up about that.

I just don't see how saying just because a lot of people don't have VR, you shouldn't try to make good games for it. Other than the price, I think VR's biggest issues are it's accessibility, and based on what Valve has talked about and shown, Half-Life Alyx looks to be taking significant strides, offering different ways to play it for people's comfort. There's even an option to toggle whether Barnacles actually pull you up or just hold you in place! Seeing the floor falling out from under you in VR can be motion sickness inducing.

I think this video in the OP is really reiterating a lot of talking points on the internet that are mostly not true. Valve not making the exact game you want is not "anti-consumer". I could have seen that argument in maybe 2004 when people were concerned about DRM for Half-Life 2, and it's issues when it launched, but now people see Steam in a completely different light.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's actually a troll, I just think it's funny that they know what everyone wants and they decided to go the opposite direction because they do in fact, do what they want, Possibly the only valid point in the video. Which is fine, that's what creators should do when they have the means to enact that vision
Doing what you want instead of what your fans want is usually the best strategy though. It's usually worse for creators to make stuff explicitly for fans because often times, the reason people follow the content a person makes isn't there anymore. People may know what they want, but alot of times it's not going to be as good as what a creator knows what they want to make.

Edit: Oh I think I misunderstood you before your edit

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Poorly disguised port begging lol...

*lists how Valve changed its revenue share* "Valve hasnt changed their revenue share at all"

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I really wish valve was the worst platform holder around. Imagine the quality of PSN, xbox live and nintendo network if steam was the lowest quality platform.

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
And what does she even mean by this?

With what kind of logic does someone reach that type of conclusion?
Either she's in pure denial mode or she legitimately thinks (and stupid people will think stupid thoughts I suppose) that people dislike the video to show their dislike for Valve.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Valve doesn't have a massive team behind Team Fortress 2, a 13-year-old game? Preposterous.

She mentions Overwatch while calling Valve's stance on TF2 "anti-consumer". Here's the thing: TF2 has been F2P for years now. It's 13 years old. It still has a very healthy online community. It receives updates regularly. Blizzard announced Overwatch 2 less than 3 years after Overwatch 1 had released (OW1 is still a paid product, BTW). But somehow it's Valve who's "anti-consumer" here for not making TF2 into a massive eSports hit. OK.

And so on and so forth. This video is either extremely misguided or extremely ill-spirited. Or maybe a bit of both.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Either she's in pure denial mode or she legitimately thinks (and stupid people will think stupid thoughts I suppose) that people dislike the video to show their dislike for Valve.
I think her point was that Valve fanboys eat anything Valve does without complaining and suffer Stockholm syndrome, so people disliking their video is due to them being Valve fanboys that dont want ot see the obvious Valve being bad.

wossname

Dec 12, 2017
"If Valve were any other company, it would have seen the positive response its competitors received from the developer community and altered its revenue sharing model to match the new standard"

Yes, just like Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Apple and Google all did. Oh, wait...