• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sony doesnt show up to E3 at all: SONY DID AMAZING!
Nintendo doesnt do a live show: IS NINTENDO LEAVING THE VIDEO GAME BUSINESS?!

You're missing some context. When Nintendo did their first direct at E3, they were in a different position. They had the Wii/Wii U/3DS. Not the PS4.

The Sony stuff is surprising, but it's clear that you remain bitter about how Nintendo is treated by the larger gaming press.

DeaDPooL_jlp

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
People may be upset but i'm glad Sony didn't do a hype campaign for months with absolutely nothing warranting it (looking at you Microsoft)

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
if you strip all context out of everything, yah it might seem like the world has a massive hate boner for Nintendo or that Sony is totally skating by unscathed operating under the exact same set of circumstances as Nintendo. oh wait, they're not.

the reality is Nintendo's E3 skipping and directs coincided with the launch and spectacular failing of the Wii U, the negativity surrounding Nintendo was justified and earned

if you're gonna live in the past with this persecution complex at least get the context correct

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
OK the various threads in here are whatever they were predictable and expected but this is just taking it to a ludicrous degree.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
the reality is Nintendo's E3 skipping and directs coincided with the launch and spectacular failing of the Wii U, the negativity surrounding Nintendo was justified and earned

It wasn't...? How Wii U sales had anything to do with skipping a live conference?

Also remember how Nintendo got a lot of negative commentary when deciding to show Breath of the Wild only at E3, later becoming one of the most revered show ever thanks to that.

Nov 30, 2018
Their decision to announce the PS5 with a in depth article was the best way to go.

Microsoft clearly stumbled trying to use buzzwords for Scarlett.

They didn't need a conference these year, I saw everything I needed to.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
As expected, PS4 got a lot of multiplatform software showcased on E3, but more importantly, Death Stranding and Final Fantasy VII really had excellent promotions. And those two games are exclusives, and both will be out in less than a year.

Plus, there is still chance that TLOU2 will be 1H 2020.

PS4 is still a very hot console, lots of amazing software [including big exclusives] is coming.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
that's an awfully charitable description but Sony did choose the right year to do it given the hype surrounding PS5 information as it's doled out through multiple channels over time

Buzzard

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Sony in 2019 : PS4 on the cusp of selling 100 million units...generation leader by millions

Nintendo in 2013 : WiiU is a colossal failure

Yes Nintendo does attract lots of doomsayers but the difference in reactions is also due to the very different places each platform holder is/was at the time

Nintendo had/has a massive warchest (PlayStation was in the red at that time). Plus 3DS was stabilizing by that time.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
Call it a hot take if you want. I think they're right in the sense that they still had a presence around E3 without being there. Wired article did its thing. Multiplatform games were shown at E3. Death Stranding before that and ending with FF7. Where are the lies?

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
Sony pulled a chicken shit move by not showing up IMO. E3 is for the fans. Even if you have a smaller, shorter show you should show up for them. They still bought some exclusive content though.

Deleted member 17388

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They already did better this year without weird musical interventions at least :p

iXqdBoG.gif

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
this but unironically

nintendo will take it if we see animal crossing imo but this has been quite the lackluster E3 so far

that entire week of speculating if we'll get a state of play which lead onto the death stranding tease stream and trailer was way more engaging and better than anything at E3 so far
Eh, FF7 was pretty hype.

WinFonda

Oct 27, 2017
USA
It wasn't...? How Wii U sales had anything to do with skipping a live conference?

Also remember how Nintendo got a lot of negative commentary when deciding to show Breath of the Wild only at E3, later becoming one of the most revered show ever thanks to that.
I didn't say the sales had anything to do with their decision? I said the horrible failing of the Wii U combined with their decision to move away from E3 was the source of the negativity, not the lack of E3 in and of itself. Nintendo had like, nothing going for them once upon a time if it's a struggle to remember? So if you don't consider context, if you look at things a vacuum, then there might appear to be some obvious bias against Nintendo. The facts are different though, Sony's able to get away from this E3 unscathed because the circumtances of the two companies were entirely different, and the video in the OP outlines why.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
what do they mean by 'and that's just the start' ? did they know something we don't? I thought the press conferences are pretty much over now other than nintendo direct. is Sony going to have surprise SOP soon or something?

Oct 25, 2017
This is all very Yikes. I don't like the sentiment of this article and it plainly sounds like it was written to rile up and cause console wars. Sony didn't show up so they can't technically win. But at least their absent wasn't in vain as they truly didn't have anything to show, and neither do many of the studios who attended this week.