• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which one?

• Enemies drop money

Votes: 210 61.4%
  • Enemies drop items that can be exchanged for money

Votes: 132 38.6%

• Total voters

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Games with enemies dropping weapons for you to sell usually turns out to carry junk since weapons to buy tend to be weaker than what you find out there.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Screw immersion; ain't nobody got time for pointless busywork extra steps. Extra shitty if your inventory space is very limited like in WoW and you have to periodically visit a vendor just to keep looting stuff.
I'll gladly take busywork in WoW when I get a chance to loot an item that can be auctioned for 250,000 gold, which recently happened to me. And also, nowadays there are many ways to have your own personal vendor in WoW.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on the enemy. Like if it is some sort of lizard it doesn't make sense to drop money but if it is a soldier it makes sense for it to drop both items and money.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Some games give you both. You get money and get parts that you can sell for more money or you can use to craft equipment.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I like how XII handled it, it unlocked stuff to buy and it was framed as provisional support for belonging to your Guild and the items mostly had generic plz sell me text but sometimes the descriptions let ya envision the item a lil bit better so it fleshed out the world in it's own little way.

GlowingBovine

Prophet of Truth
Nov 27, 2017
If we're talking just junk items to sell, then just drop money instead. Hate selling junk.

But in games like Fallout, I like looting the different items. Some weapons/ammo/drugs can cost quite a bit, and it's a great feeling finding something valuable on an enemy. You could also just drop a large amount of money to afford a rare item but it's not the same.

Also gives the opportunity for unique loot like special weapons and armor that thematically match the enemy and serve as a trophy.

Plus it's nice taking down a big bad like a Super Mutant Behemoth and seeing all the loot, even if you do see 80% of it.

Hexa

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
In general they should drop items, though selling items should be made super easy in terms of the UI. Like a "sell all junk" button.

Let's take it further. Before you fight the enemies you have to purchase these tokens with which you fight said mobs.

When you win, you get a random number if unrelated currency that you can redeem in a kiosk in town. This would totally not be gambling. 😉

I did play an RPG like that that had a gambling aesthetic throughout so the tokens you fought with were themed as gambling chips. Though enemies dropped chips and there some chips that could be used again after a number of turns so you didn't rely solely on the limited use chips you purchased in town thankfully as inventory space was very limited.

Fawz

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
In a single player game, I like to get money unless there's an economy system where item price differs based on where/when you sell it

In a game with interactions with other players that includes trade I'll take item drops over cash dropping straight up

In both cases I hate junk items that serve no purpose other than to force you back to town to get your equivalent cash

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just drop the money. If you're going to do the item thing, give me a "sell all junk" button at the vendor. If it's a primary gameplay thing, that's OK. I'm thinking space sims with scrap and trading economies, Freelancer for PC was sort of like this in the days before 'loot' was a standardizdd concept.

I'm playing FF12 right now and it's money making is primarily driven by selling loot items, but it tosses them in a list with a few useful items (!!) and makes you manually sell each one. Worst possible system.

Aug 13, 2019
It depends on the enemy. If it's something that'd have money, then dropping money, as well as other valuables, makes sense. Wolves and other animals should drop items that can be sold or used for crafting.

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
Money does not take space for inventory and it's not limited, usually, so I just take money.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Not a fan of games where they just fill your inventory with junk "for the immersion". This is doubly so for games with inventory limits. I absolutely loathe having to decide weather these bear toes are worth more to me than these ostrich gullets just because I killed one-to-many mobs before returning to town.

If a game wants to go heavy in the sim direction, like skyrim, then I actually don't mind it but, in 95% of circumstances, it just feels like the game is wasting my time for no reason.

Dec 4, 2017
The third Bard's Tale lampshaded this by having enemies drop items that were instantly converted to cash. The narrator says something along the lines of "you were going to pawn off this junk at the first opportunity anyway".

Oct 12, 2020
I like item drops, if the monster are just beast and have no need for money. Woudn't make sense for them to have money in there non-existent pockets. It also opens the door for flavor text, which allows for world-building. But, like other said, it should be clear, that there isn't another function for it and it may should not add to a weight limit.

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I like Etrian Odyssey's implementation, where enemies drop loot to sell off and get money for... which also in turn unlocks items/equipment as you do so. Makes encountering new enemies feel more meaningful.
I like this too. This way shops don't sell OP weapons and challenge stays until end. Game constantly keeps you on edge. Boss weapons are powerful, but the materials aren't always easy to acquire.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I'll gladly take busywork in WoW when I get a chance to loot an item that can be auctioned for 250,000 gold, which recently happened to me. And also, nowadays there are many ways to have your own personal vendor in WoW.

Are you for real? I'm obviously talking about grey vendor trash, which is what the thread is about, not useful loot.

Bowl0l

Oct 27, 2017
Neither. Simulate real life by forcing players to work. For example, filling surveys, watch ads.

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Down with loot drops! I'm sick to death of loot. No more.

Get your currency, buy what you want from stores/merchant NPC.

Tom Nook

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
70d.jpg

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
If those items can be used for something else too, like crafting, give me the items. Otherwise, gimme the money.

kagete

Oct 27, 2017
If humanoid and they have pockets and equipment on them, then Yes, drop the cash. In fact, they should drop exactly what they have equipped. If cutting of their ears or horns trades for cash sure.

If hunting monsters in the wild, then just drops for trade or crafting please.

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
As long as there's a clear sign that the item is only good for selling and not for crafting or something else, like in Opctopath Traveller, I'd rather get items and not money as battle rewards

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
It's time to decide.

Enemies dropping money outright is pretty convenient
But if enemies drop items that can be exchanged for money, that'd make more sense, that'd be more immersive in a way.

I can see the appeal in both, personally.

Final Fantasy XII is the perfect example as to why it doesnt make sense if you are not doing anything else with those items. You cant literally do nothing else than sell them for money, so why not ....just get the money?

kitler53

Oct 15, 2020
i prefer cash.

when an item is dropped i want it to be a useful item. the absolute worse is when useful items and useless items (vendor trash) are both dropped and it's not clear which is which. i hate it when i find out late game that i vended an item early game i should have held onto.

but really either can be fine. it's all in the details of how the economy is structured.

KillstealWolf

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Money tends to just speed up the whole process to be honest.

I understand the appeal of getting unique items from what you fight. But there's the added busy step that you need to sell it in the stores which takes time, bad games ask that you sort your inventory beforehand which takes more time, Even worse games don't indicate if the item you have is a crafting material (one that you might need for a side quest later) or straight up Vendor Trash that you can just sell for cash. And then there's Inventory Caps as well and you become encumbered and...

Look, just gimme the money up front. Zelda was a lot more fun when you just got the Ruppees, you don't have to worry about getting an Amber and not knowing if you should sell it or if it's required for crafting something later on.

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I hate when games give you tons of "junk" items and tells you to sell all your junk, then some of those items can be used later for something else but the game doesn't let you know.

That is the WORST.