• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

justiceiro

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Good. I want to be rewared with something worth when i decide to play the entire game again in a higher difficulty.

Please tell me what game is this so i can check it out.

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Yeah it's 100% always bad, should never be done and quite frankly it's just yet another ableist remnant of old design that doesn't need to exist anymore.

But it used to annoy me even in stuff like Sparkster and other Konami games back in the day. Felt like a waste of time when I'm trying to just play games I rented within the time limit.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't mind if it's something small, like the Easter egg from Halo 1 on legendary.

What's really awful is Jet Force Gemini, which waits until the seeming end of the game to let you know you need to go back through the entire thing and save hundreds of teddy bear creatures to actually see the ending. I was a poor teenager at the time who could barely afford games, and I still quit playing it in protest. Outrageous.

Stefarno

I ... survived Sedona
Oct 27, 2017
I've never heard of such a thing. Sounds like mgs3 where it asks you what your favorite metal gear was. If pal mgs2 had that question then today I learned something new.
It was in the European version (maybe the Japanese one too?) - there were 5 options to pick from when you started the game for the first time:
-I've cleared the previous game multiple times, so bring on the action!
-I managed to clear the previous game, but action isn't my strong point!
-I didn't clear the previous game myself, but I watched everything!
-I didn't clear the previous game and action isn't my strong point!
-I didn't clear the previous game, but bring on the action!

The first three start you at the tanker, the last two start you at the plant and they also determine which difficulty options you are offered. After you beat the game you can choose either section or them both.

There were some other changes too like a European Extreme difficulty and a boss survival mode. We also got a making of DVD included as an apology for the delay meaning everything got spoiled.

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Understandable (though I wouldn't frame it as "disrespecting time"). I similarly hate when difficulty levels are locked behind playthroughs, as there's no good reason to deny a new player from the hardest difficulty options your game has to offer.

Last edited:

Gezech

Oct 28, 2017
Cave Story comes to mind. Hell is literal Hell. I eventually mastered how to traverse the level but then it ends up having a multi-phase hard-as-nails boss at the end. I repeated the level enough times to lose my patience and just YouTube the "Best" ending.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why it's bad to reward players who engage the game on a deeper level. In the age of youtube, wikis, etc., if you don't want to do it you can just look it up online.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
I was playing Double Dragon 2 on NES on Warrior difficulty and the game lets you get all the way to mission 8. Once you clear the level it tells you to try again on Supreme Master if you want to fight the final boss.

What a lack of respect for people's time.

Also do other games do this kind of stuff? Even today?
I think it's worth noting that back then, games were designed not just to be played a lot but also to be very, very difficult to beat in the course of a single rental period, so you'd need to rent it a ton of times

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Theres a reason things like that dont exist much nowadays.

Instead we have "Play through my shooter heavy game using only non-lethal terrible stealth mechanics to unlock the non-poorly written ending."

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
I don't mind it if the game is either not super long or just has a generally good reply value. Lots of us grew up on this so it was fairly normal. I'm not sure if I could get myself back to being able to no-hit Super Ghouls n Ghosts on professional, though.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Jamestown basically locked you out from progressing through the game's story unless you replay the previous levels in harder difficulty. Such bullshit padding.

Tigerfog

Oct 28, 2017
Montreal
Some Konami games (Tiny Toons SNES) would outright skip levels and some level segments when you play on EASY difficulty.
It was a weird time to be a gamer.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do you need a "reward"? Is the enjoyment of playing the game itself not rewarding enough?
Sure, you don't "need" it, but it's a fun little extra. Like I said, having a small reward with an extra fight or cutscene isn't taking anything away from those who play on lower difficulties but rather just showing appreciation to those who played the game at the harder ones. It's nice to have some sort acknowledgment of your accomplishment even if it's just a video game.

Shopolic

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I look at them as some rewards for finishing games on hardest setting, so I don't have any problem with them. Maybe it wasn't that good in the old days but now with Youtube, we can watch those endings easily.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
A lot of people in here really seem to think "please don't gate story content behind difficulty" means "no rewards for hardcore players."

Y'all can just get new weapons or bonus levels or some shit. There is literally no reason to block certain people from seeing the full narrative just so you can feel vindicated for playing on Nightmare Mode.

Nerokis

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing Double Dragon 2 on NES on Warrior difficulty and the game lets you get all the way to mission 8. Once you clear the level it tells you to try again on Supreme Master if you want to fight the final boss.

What a lack of respect for people's time.

Also do other games do this kind of stuff? Even today?

Oh man, I went through the Double Dragon games for the first time last week, and yeah...DD2's ending shenanigans were quite something.

It's not just a "true ending" situation - it's an actual cliffhanger. And, for me, the question being answered there was going to affect how I perceived the entire game. Went straight to YouTube.

Feb 24, 2018
I've never liked the "It rewards players" and "Just watch it on YouTube" arguments

The former implies people who can't play on those difficulties because of disabilities etc shouldn't be rewarded or inheeriantly lesser in their eyes (or more likely they don't care or didn't think of them usually).

The latter doesn't speak highly of the game in question if its more rewarding to watch it elsewhere. You should want people to play the game, not go elsewhere... Plus I doubt the company and devs appreciate it when their fans tell people to just go watch their games rather then play/buy them.

I'm fine with unlockables as long as their doable for all and in multiplayer, aren't intrusive (IE ones tied to achievements so people end up playing for those and don't help their teams on the actual game or end up being disruptive or achievements that encourage bad teamwork).

Of course doable and accessible doesn't mean it can't be hard, I think Smash Ultimate does a good job balancing the game's single player so it's doable for all while still balancing out the easy and hard stuff. Nintendo overall after the ableism and non-caring they displayed during the Wii and DS era have heavily improved in this department.

Also no, story content shouldn't be gated.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Sure, you don't "need" it, but it's a fun little extra. Like I said, having a small reward with an extra fight or cutscene isn't taking anything away from those who play on lower difficulties but rather just showing appreciation to those who played the game at the harder ones. It's nice to have some sort acknowledgment of your accomplishment even if it's just a video game.

In my eyes at least, there's a difference between a bonus little boss fight/scene, or what the OP is about and what happens in games like Cuphead, where you literally can't finish the game if you need to play on an easier difficulty.

16bitnova

Oct 28, 2017
Agreed. I also have when games hide essential story beats behind grindy or collectathon type objectives like Assassin's Creed back in the day. Hiding "Adam and Eve" story cutscenes behind collecting a bunch of pointless tedious shit.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
My point was that you (general "you") can't really claim that a "reward" for beating a specific mode doesn't matter except for when it suits you. It either matters to you, or it doesn't. And either opinion is fine, but you ought to be consistent.

I don't consider the full story a "reward", a trophy or secret boss would be a reward.

I play many games for the story, so if part of it is locked I won't even bother (hi, Arkham Knight).

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I don't consider the full story a "reward", a trophy or secret boss would be a reward.

I play many games for the story, so if part of it is locked I won't even bother (hi, Arkham Knight).
I thought this was about secret endings and bosses such. Someone even brought up the Bloodborne ending locked behind the umbilical cords thing, which is something I definitely missed the first time, but it's not, like, "the" canon ending necessarily.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
Also no, story content shouldn't be gated.

Story content is already gated since you have to play through the game in sequence anyway. I don't think there's much separation between that and the difficulty modes in a game like Double Dragon 2, where the lower two difficulty levels cut and / or heavily simplify content anyway (so the only "real" mode is Supreme Master, the other two are just training wheel modes).

OdjnRyu

Nov 8, 2017
Cursed Castilla punishes you by locking you out of the best ending if you use up too many Continues. My response to this is to play the game once and never again.

Catshade

Oct 26, 2017
I dont really mind that as long as the normal ending is still delivering some closure. Arkham Knights true ending requirement sucks, but the normal ending is still somewhat satisfactory for me.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I like my kick ass gaming skills being rewarded. Totally cool with me to lock endings behind challenging feats. But hey I grew up in the 8bit era.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
I'm fine with this stuff on NES/SNES-era games (and modern games built around these mechanics) since they're usually short games.

One huge offender is Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn. While you can do it on any difficulty, the best possible (and canonical) ending is locked behind a lot of obscure BS, like triggering fights between characters that you normally wouldn't do when playing casually, but you also have to be on a second playthrough (and this is a 40-60 hour game we're talking about!).

Chucat

Dec 11, 2020
Ghost n Goblins series.

That series is literally the opposite of what the OP is saying.

You can beat those games on any difficulty and get the true ending, you're not locked out of the second loop because you picked a lower difficulty (unless the PSP version pulled something I don't know about).

They mean something like Mickey's Wild Adventure for PS1 where if you pick a lower difficulty, the game proceeds as normal until a point where it suddenly stops and tells you to restart on a higher difficulty to be allowed to see the later levels and the actual ending of the game.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was about secret endings and bosses such. Someone even brought up the Bloodborne ending locked behind the umbilical cords thing, which is something I definitely missed the first time, but it's not, like, "the" canon ending necessarily.

OP's about a game where they don't get the ending because they're not playing on the hardest difficulty, the game tells them they can't beat the game unless they play the hardest difficulty, so, the conversation has kind of tracked away from that origin.

Ionic

Oct 31, 2017
Yep, I remember those days. Painkiller was the last one I remember where you have to go through it's absolute hardest mode to get it's true ending.

This is actually what I came in here to mention. But it's egregious for a different reason. Playing on the hardest difficulty ends the game at chapter 4. You have to play on an easier difficulty to see any of the last levels. I played on hardest and just flat out didn't get to see a bunch of stuff because they gave me a non-canon good ending. It's the inverse of this thread's premise and it threw me for a loop.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
To be honest I'm ok with it. I like to have motivation to tackle that difficulty, actually it is better since nowadays I do hard modes solely for the achievements/trophies. Doing it for a new ending or any cool in game rewards seems great.

Also, Konami specially made me used of this in the 8/16 bit era so no problems at all.

If you don't feel like playing in hard mode you can always use YouTube.

Wallace Wells

May 24, 2019
The very first Rayman game has its final boss locked until you free the 6 things in every level if I remember correctly

one of the reasons why I was never able to finish it when I was younger

Oct 25, 2017
Lol what. This is like my favorite feature in games, assuming the game in question is actually fun to play of course.

Magicgamer

Oct 28, 2017
I like when developers add incentives to play on higher difficulties. Just like in real life you often get rewarded for doing things of higher difficulty/require more skill.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I completed the "normal ending" for Hollow Knight, saw the requirements for the "true ending", laughed, said "NOPE" and uninstalled the game.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Musha Aleste has maybe 3 endings depending on difficulties, each ending shows more scenes than the last one.
Used to beat the game on the hardest difficulty when i was 14 years old. Now i am not able to beat it on normal, Dat final level and Boss.

Honestly i like this feature, even if it sucks, gives you incentive to try to beat the game on harder modes.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I think this largely depends on how complete the game feels without the additional endings. If you still get a complete consistent story on any play through then it's hard to be upset about.

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Egregious examples I can think of:
Gunstar Future Heroes changes not just the ending but the whole story based on the difficulty. On easy it's little more than "we're under attack, shoot them!" while on medium and hard you get progressively more details about what's going on, what the backstory is, etc.
Tiny Toons: Buster Busts Loose skips boss fights and any chunk of a level deemed difficult (including the whole sky level) on easy. The story makes absolutely no sense that way. You go through a door and get the level ending cutscene where everybody talks to the boss character and whatnot.
Jamestown: The game has like 4 difficulty levels and each one cuts off at a different level so you have to gradually increase the difficulty up to the maximum to get to the final stage.
Contra 4 also has that "can't get the final stages on easy" thing, the difference between easy (9 lives per continue, all weapons immediately at level 2) and normal (3 lives, weapons at level 1) is a massive spike.

Oct 25, 2017
It's never fun if the player doesn't have enough skill.

I'm glad developers are thinking more about that nowadays.

I mean, the question is why the player is playing the game in the first place, no? Is it just to "see all the content"? Then yes, of course you would feel robbed. If I'm playing Uncharted or whatever you bet your ass I will agree with OP. But if I'm playing a bullet hell shmup I sure as hell have no business fighting the true last boss without mastering everything else in the game first.

Also can we please stop conflating skill/mastery requirements with accessibility? Accessibility means making it possible for everyone to reach mastery by breaking down interface barriers between the player and the game. It does not mean letting anyone breeze through any sort of game.

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
meh. YouTube has covered if you don't have the time/patience required.
And it's nice to have an incentive to try the harder difficulty.