• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
User Warned: Posting Unmarked Spoilers
So it turns out in DMC5 Vergil was the cause of all the trouble due to splitting himself into Urizen and V with Yamato. As Urizen he killed an entire city basically and spent the game thrashing around Dante, Nero, Trish, and Lady. Once he returns as Vergil he immediately tries to fight Dante and doesn't seem to even care or acknowledge the chaos he did as Urizen.

Yet despite all this at the end of the game Dante seems willing to patch things up with Vergil, while Nero doesn't acknowledge him as a father, he stills acknowledges him as family. He basically gets off with a slap on the wrist. By the end of the game he and Dante have reformed their brotherly bond.

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
Is it really so hard to write a title that doesn't spoil the end of a video game lots of people probably still want to play.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Because it's a shitty chuuni story that's secondary to the main purpose of the game, no one but the Sparda family matters.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Urizen and V are treated as different people from Vergil. Even though Vergil is the one who ripped Nero's arm off and created those two versions of himself. I guess he was dying at the time but that's no excuse.

That said, I don't think they're completely ok with him. There's just too much going on at the end and Vergil seems willing to help. There's no time to sit down and say, "I forgive you," or "Hey dad I guess we're cool now"

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
It's just a dbz vegeta situation where everyone respects power. Best not to think too hard about it.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Is it really so hard to write a title that doesn't spoil the end of a video game lots of people probably still want to play.
Game came out 2,5 years ago, no one should ever need to worry about spoiling something after that time, especially on the internet. It's unreasonable and it will never be reasonable and it cannot be presented as reasonable.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because Vergil wasn't in control of Urizen.

He was V.

The reason he split himself to begin with was because he was at his limit and dying.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because magical demon fantasy bullshit means it wasn't Vergil who destroyed Redgrave.

This doesn't have an applicable scenario in real life because while loss of rational thought can happen in a person the idea of a person doing something wrong on the scale of the destruction of the entire city where they are literally completely morally clear for doing so isn't really something that can happen with actual real life human beings.

Also it's not that Vergil doesn't care, it's that Vergil coming back means that DMC now has to run its only story, where he and Dante must have their destined clash ordained by the screams of their blood, only this time Nero is there being Captain Sensible and thinks their rivalry is stupid so he beats the hell out of both of them to get them to take the problem seriously.

The actual punchline, though, is that Devil May Cry 3, where the destruction of the city through the rise of Temen-ni-gru was couched by PS2 hardware making it difficult to get a real scope on the damage or human cost of Vergil's actions, is now definitely murder that Vergil committed through his own will because DMCV showed us what happens when Vergil makes a big tower climb out of a populated city.

Game came out 2,5 years ago, no one should ever need to worry about spoiling something after that time, especially on the internet. It's unreasonable and it will never be reasonable and it cannot be presented as reasonable.

Gotta say, of all the "we need a statute of limitations" on spoilers talk that is consistently and inevitably wrong, 2.5 years is a new deadline even for those asinine standards.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Because they didn't think the plot through. They just thought it was OK to have a high stakes cutscene where people are being brutally slaughtered but forgot they want players to sympathize with Vergil by the end of the game.

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
It's an anime.
Killing thousands of people and almost destroying the world doesn't mean that you can't be redeemed in one episode without any real justification.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
They go down to hell at the end and the implication is they aren't coming back. Vergil volunteers to trap himself in hell to make up for what he's done and Dante takes the responsibility of being his brother's keeper, knowing that Vergil will inevitably try and do this all over again if he doesn't keep an eye on him. They charge Nero with watching over the human world.

It's obviously not the best story but it isn't "Everyone forgives Vergil at the end" either.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They go down to hell at the end and the implication is they aren't coming back. Vergil volunteers to trap himself in hell to make up for what he's done and Dante takes the responsibility of being his brother's keeper, knowing that Vergil will inevitably try and do this all over again if he doesn't keep an eye on him. They charge Nero with watching over the human world.

It's obviously not the best story but it isn't "Everyone forgives Vergil at the end" either.

Eh, I think it's pretty clear Vergil's significantly mellowed out after learning Nero is his son and losing to him in the final boss fight, coupled with his time as V and his familiars dying to prevent Vergil from re-experiencing the trauma of his time as Nelo Angelo.

Like, him and Dante in Hell for all eternity getting to beat the shit out of demons and each other is probably the most fulfilling family bonding they could have.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
you-dont-turn-your-back-on-family-when-they-do-5978447.png

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal

I checked about 9 pages of the OP's thread posting history and this is the only time they spoiled something in the title. Haven't played DMCV yet but still very disappointing to see.

I think if a game has a particularly good story then spoilers do matter. I've not played God of War (2018) yet (but have played all the other titles) and I'd be pretty annoyed if someone just openly spoiled the game in the title.

Oct 27, 2017
Shitty writing inspired by shitty anime.

See the countless shonen anime/manga that has heroes forgive the villain because they are "misunderstood" or something.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Because you're not supposed to think about it too hard, just like you're not supposed to think about how Virgil has killed thousands upon thousands of people because "I wanna be STROOOOOOOOOONGER" even though both of his big plans turn out to be wet farts that don't actually make him any stronger.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Because Dante is as crazy as Vergil and Nero was just happy that immediate danger was resolved so he can go back to Kyrie.
They really don't give a shit about damages.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's not like the story ends with Vergil relaxing on the beach...

Also Vergil wasn't Urizen.

Also my lord I had no idea this had caused so much negativity going by the reactions here.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's always kinda weird when we get blatant fantasy scenarios to excuse a character's culpability, but then no one in the audience is capable of accepting them.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you can't really blame Dante for how he acts towards his twin brother. How many decades have passed between DMC3 and 5? Three, four? They're all each other ever really had and Dante took Vergil's death really hard, so he was probably really excited just to have his brother back.

Nero quite rightly gave Dante and Vergil a lot of shit for how they behaved, especially after he found out he was Vergil's son, but then they both buggered off anyway. No doubt they're going to go looking for Sparda and beat the shit out of him for letting their mother die, then return to Earth and actually try to patch things up with Nero.

Y'all know what? I think, the end went exactly as Vergil has planed all along. He and Dante forever reunited alone in hell.
Happy End. 🤗

5's story is... not so good and doesn't do him nor Dante a huge favour.
Rule of cool, it doesn't really matter, that's how DMC just is - take it or leave it.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I think they are both so obsessed with their own generation that since they realized there is a new one they decided it's time to pass the torch. Dante was always the good guy and Virgil was on the edge.

OP
OP
PhoenixAKG

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I mean, you can't really blame Dante for how he acts towards his twin brother. How many decades have passed between DMC3 and 5? Three, four? They're all each other ever really had and Dante took Vergil's death really hard, so he was probably really excited just to have his brother back.

Nero quite rightly gave Dante and Vergil a lot of shit for how they behaved, especially after he found out he was Vergil's son, but then they both buggered off anyway. No doubt they're going to go looking for Sparda and beat the shit out of him for letting their mother die, then return to Earth and actually try to patch things up with Nero.

Isn't Sparda dead?

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean it's been pretty obvious for awhile that Capcom's strong suit is presentation and gameplay and definitely not storyline lol.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
A) It's DMC, story's dumb

B) I don't think Dante was alright with Vergil, despite him technically not being Urizen, if you really wanna look at it that way. Like he went there to have a fight to the death. And even after Nero got in the way, he took Vergil to hell, presumably permanently, along with himself.

Nero has additional emotional baggage there, so he's not an entirely rational actor in the situation. He's also canonically an unbeliveable goodboy boyscout, so I totally can see him "forgive and help atone" kinda guy.

C) It's DMC, story's dumb

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I think it's pretty clear Vergil's significantly mellowed out after learning Nero is his son and losing to him in the final boss fight, coupled with his time as V and his familiars dying to prevent Vergil from re-experiencing the trauma of his time as Nelo Angelo.

Like, him and Dante in Hell for all eternity getting to beat the shit out of demons and each other is probably the most fulfilling family bonding they could have.

Oh definitely, I mean it's all anime boy power of friendship stuff, but I'm just saying it's not like Dante and Vergil are best buds, bro-ing out forever in hell on equal terms. They both enjoy fighting demons, but it's also very clear that Dante is there to imprison Vergil in hell and stop him if (when) he tries to leave.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh definitely, I mean it's all anime boy power of friendship stuff, but I'm just saying it's not like Dante and Vergil are best buds, bro-ing out forever in hell on equal terms. They both enjoy fighting demons, but it's also very clear that Dante is there to imprison Vergil in hell and stop him if (when) he tries to leave.

I don't think that at all. I think the intent of DMCV's handling of Vergil is that he finally got over his thirst for power and bonded with Dante in about the only way the two of them can. He whines at Dante about keeping score over their fights and then gets tilted when Dante is about to say his catchphrase in the final shot of the game. They are actually bro-ing out forever in hell on equal terms.

Like would Power Dick Vergil ever try to talk Nero down from a fight? Hell, would Power Dick Vergil ever say something as pathetic as "if I beat Nero then by default I beat you. Agreed, Dante?"

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I don't think that at all. I think the intent of DMCV's handling of Vergil is that he finally got over his thirst for power and bonded with Dante in about the only way the two of them can. He whines at Dante about keeping score over their fights and then gets tilted when Dante is about to say his catchphrase in the final shot of the game. They are actually bro-ing out forever in hell on equal terms.

Like would Power Dick Vergil ever try to talk Nero down from a fight? Hell, would Power Dick Vergil ever say something as pathetic as "if I beat Nero then by default I beat you. Agreed, Dante?"

I see where you're going, but on the same token I think matrix-cat is also "technically" right as well.

While Dante is definitely enjoying himself, he's also personally taking responsibility for his brother and keeping an eye on him, and pretty much alluded to such. Both so he won't lose his twin again, and also so that Vergil doesn't get any ideas of "backsliding".

When you think about it from the stand point of how Dante got effectively a "do over" for what he couldn't do at the end of DMC3, it's (almost)
endearing.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
What are they going to do? Kill each other? Good luck with that shit. Can't even knock each other down for more than a few minutes.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I see where you're going, but on the same token I think matrix-cat is also "technically" right as well.

While Dante is definitely enjoying himself, he's also personally taking responsibility for his brother and keeping an eye on him, and pretty much alluded to such. Both so he won't lose his twin again, and also so that Vergil doesn't get any ideas of "backsliding".

When you think about it from the stand point of how Dante got effectively a "do over" for what he couldn't do at the end of DMC3, it's (almost)
endearing.

I mean yeah this is exactly what I think of it.

Dante gets to hang out with his brother killing demons for all eternity, where DMC has shown that Vergil's fall and eventual death were the most emotionally devastating moments of Dante's life and that whenever he's not killing demons he's a morose sad sack who can't motivate himself to pay his electrical bill. The dude could not have gotten a better sendoff than DMCV.

DrunkDadbr

Banned
May 19, 2021
Because its a japanese game and they ace at things that doesnt make sense. Capcom is one of the best in this field.