• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

haradaku7

May 28, 2018
I'm in the exact same situation but I think I'm warming up to having a child. I love my girlfriend but the resposnabilty of a child scares me.

But change is good and I'm ready I think.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wish other people would have some self doubt before procreating, would save of kids a lot of heart ache.

Ultimately though why would I want to cede having children to the people that didn't worry about whether they'd be good parents or find the time to balance their lives though?

I'm in the same boat, struggling to try and establish my own identity before I become someone's father, worrying whether I'd be a good dad or not, wondering how I would ever get any free time to myself. It will come to a head in my relationship too. My life flipped so fast from NEET without an adult relationship to even considering having kids it's completely knocked me for six.

If you can honestly say you're 99.9 percent set on never having kids, let her go. If you need to mull it over for a couple of years to get your head around it, you should probably let her go in that case too so she doesn't waste precious childbearing years.

Last edited:

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
the easy 'solution' is for me to say "okay, let's have some kids!" but this is probably the only thing in the world i won't compromise on. conversely, i don't want her to compromise by *not* having them either.
This stood out to me. If kids/no kids is something you're both adamant on with your life goals, this is going to be the worst solution long-term for everyone involved, and it would likely have a significant probability of dooming your relationship in the future.

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Being profoundly different people looking for profoundly different things seems like a very sensible reason to end a relationship.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
I was in a similar Position many years ago. Now I have 5 month old boy and I love him to death. Best thing in my life.

My first position was exactly like OPs. But it changed over time. Children are hard work but they are worth the stress.

Oct 27, 2017
I've always told my recent gfs and people I dated that I don't want kids, full stop. Some were pretty chill about it and agreed that we should part ways, others not so much, but it is better that way. My current gfs know this, and I've always told her that if the changes her mind about it she's free to leave, because I won't change my stand, ever.

bawjaws

Oct 28, 2017
That said, if you decide to have kids with her you still got like 2-3 years before she should get pregnant, as you should get married first and get yourselves ready for said kid.
Oh fucking please. What the fuck is this bullshit?

I mean, your entire post was dreadful shit but this is the cherry on top of the turd.

honkycat

Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Kids aren't the end of the world, you'll love them and won't be able to imagine life without them says every parent ever. Sounds more like you are being selfish about this whole thing, wanting your freedom over what your partner wants because it's comfortable. If you've been together 5 years, don't end it because you are afraid to leave your comfort zone.

That said, if you decide to have kids with her you still got like 2-3 years before she should get pregnant, as you should get married first and get yourselves ready for said kid.

Edit: I am just going to clarify that while plenty of kids DO have shitty parents that don't want them and are not capable/willing to take care of them, that doesn't seem to be you. There's a difference between not being capable and not wanting. And there's a difference between not wanting to have kids and not wanting your kid. If you love this woman and are just afraid of life changing decisions, running from life changing is not going to make things better.

Making decisions different than the decisions you made is "selfish", got it.

You realize the Earth is dying and quality of life is going to drop precipitously right?

Maven

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Earth
I wonder if this happens:

OP breaks up with gf

5 years later creates a thread on Era, "forever alone."

Poeton

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
My wife has a friend who wanted to have kids but her long term boyfriend did not and he basically wasted her time for a few years before they finally broke up a fe year or so ago.

To be fair he didn't waste her time as much as they constantly avoided dealing with the road block in their lives. But he knew.

honkycat

Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Adoption is a thing.

"The planet is dying" is not a great excuse, it's fine to just don't want kids.

First of all, don't be condescending.

Most of my extended family is adopted, I have an adopted brother, and fostering is exactly what I plan on doing if I change my mind later in life.

But I disagree with your assertion that it isn't "a great excuse"

It is not an excuse it is a practical reason that WILL have an impact on mine and my hypothetical child's life.

But go off I guess you seem to know more about this than me, you're so wise

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
First of all, don't be condescending.

Most of my extended family is adopted, I have an adopted brother, and fostering is exactly what I plan on doing if I change my mind later in life.

But I disagree with your assertion that it isn't "a great excuse"

It is not an excuse it is a practical reason that WILL have an impact on mine and my hypothetical child's life.

But go off I guess you seem to know more about this than me, you're so wise

I was talking about OP, he said he don't want to have kids for other reasons (like his grandparents).

Everyone is free to choose what to do with their lifes.

Mest08

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I think it's fine to not want to have kids but I'm not quite sure i understand your reasons. Shitty childhood? So your childhood was shitty so that means your kid's will be as well? Don't think that makes sense. Have to take care of your grandparents? Ok, that's commendable but not really your responsibility and just sounds like an excuse. And let's be honest here, if you're 32 your grandparents are probably in their what, 80s? Not to be a dick, but it's not like they'll be around forever. You want to spend your money on what you like? Ok, that's fine. But is it not your girlfriend's money, too? You didn't say you couldn't afford it, you said youre selfish. The only legit reason is really your health concern and you didn't provide much info there, not that you're obligated to.

It'd be one thing if you hated kids, wanted nothing to do with changing shit diapers, listening to crying, waking up for feedings, etc. Quality of life shit. But your reasons to me sound more like excuses. Like, if you had a good childhood, your grandparents were not around and your girlfriend said she'd pay for everything child related, you'd want kids?

UF_C

Oct 25, 2017
Have a kid. It's amazing. The value of life goes up immeasurably. Things start having meaning you never even knew could. I never wanted kids but my wife did. I'm so grateful I did. Nothing has brought more joy to my life than my son and daughter.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
Have a kid. It's amazing. The value of life goes up immeasurably. Things start having meaning you never even knew could. I never wanted kids but my wife did. I'm so grateful I did. Nothing has brought more joy to my life than my son and daughter.

Lordy, no. If you don't want to have kids, DONT HAVE A KID. Yes it sucks to break up with someone who does, but there are no take backs here.

Sure you could roll the dice and be happy you did in the end, or you could end up regretting it and being stuck in the situation for near on 20 years and basically being unable to talk about it because regretting having kids is a giant taboo.

There is no compromise position in this, you can't have half a kid. If you're certain you don't want them (and frankly at your age you're probably pretty certain) then you have to end the relationship for both your sakes.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kids aren't the end of the world, you'll love them and won't be able to imagine life without them says every parent ever. Sounds more like you are being selfish about this whole thing, wanting your freedom over what your partner wants because it's comfortable. If you've been together 5 years, don't end it because you are afraid to leave your comfort zone.

What a disgusting sentiment. Kids are something you have because you want to have them. Not because of some dumb platitude or as a personal challenge.

Anyway end it now. It's clear that they want kids and you don't and this is something neither of you should compromise on.

K' Dash

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Lots of bad advice from parents in this thread.

If you don't want kids, end it, there are plenty of women who don't want kids either, so you can align their goals with yours and be happy.

Namea

Dec 2, 2017
If you're absolutely convinced that you don't want kids, you should split up. But you should be honest with yourself as well, so make sure you take a good look at the reasons why you're against the idea of having a child. It's gonna be tough either way. Wishing you good luck.

CelticKennedy

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2019
I think when it comes to having kids it has to be a "fuck yeah" decision with both parties. I feel like if there is any uncertainty about it, chances are you will have some bad issues down the road with your partner.

If you have any friends with children, ask if they would be alright with your partner and you babysitting sometime. Haha.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
Can anyone ever say they were 100% ready to be a parent, I don't know if anyone truly is. Hell, statistically, 50% of pregnancies are unplanned so there's a lot of parents out there that probably weren't ready. That being said that doesn't mean you should jump into it as well without having an honest discussion with your GF. Minds change, circumstances change, feelings change and maybe that's something worth exploring. However if you truly feel that you're not ready, best to end it now before you're too far into the relationship.

Byakuya769

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Sucks, but if either of you relent—there's a high chance that there will always be some resentment about having kids in the relationship. Best for you both to just move on.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

All these posts sound like they they almost parody.

breadtruck

Oct 27, 2017
I have a friend who's wife just filed for divorce kinda out-of-the-blue over this same thing.
He thought they were happy.

Let her go so she can get what she wants out of life. If not now, she'll do it later.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
Yep went through it with my ex - after we split up it obviously sucked for 6 months but she then found someone and has since had 3 lovely little kiddies and I found someone who is of a similar opinion to me and we have now been happily together for 11 years.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
Might be worth trying to work through your feelings about children with a therapist if you're having second thoughts, but if you're really sure then it sounds like you know what needs to happen.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Unfortunately not much you can do in that situation. Having a kid just to appease someone won't help when you truly don't want one, and it's such a big thing that it's not something a partner can just accept.

And there is nothing wrong with not ever wanting a kid. Goddamn, I will never understand why people try to be forceful about it.

derder

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So there are a few talking points:

1. Don't bring climate change data or whatever was recommended. Spreadsheets don't need to be part of this conversation.
2. Kids are hard. If you're not emotionally or financially capable at the age of 30, don't roll the dice on them.
3. She has less than 10 years before it's impossible or dangerous. If you don't want kids, break it off immediately so that she has a chance to find another partner.
4. Don't ask your 30s friends if kids are worth it, you need to talk to your 50 or 60 yo friends or co-workers. Life satisfaction is very different for the last half and you'll get a completely different perspective.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd break up. What else can you do? If you have one, youll resent her/the kid and if you dont she'll resent you and be unhappy.

Personally ive had multiple kids so 1 kid to me would seem like a cake walk, but if you dont want a kid you dont want a kid.

Deleted member 33116

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
I never ever ever want kids. They're a deal breaker for me. If my partner wanted them then it'd be an instant relationship ender. It's not fair on me to have a kid I don't want and it's not fair on my partner to not have the kid they want.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Her biological clock is ticking, so the pressure is significant for her, it'd be unfair to rob her of her chance to bear children.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Oh fucking please. What the fuck is this bullshit?

I mean, your entire post was dreadful shit but this is the cherry on top of the turd.

I know we are all about smashing the patriarchy and such nowadays, but even if I don't agree that anyone adamantly against having kids should force themselves to have them, the part about getting married isn't bad advice. Having kids is absolutely a huge financial burden, and grabbing whatever tax benefits and such you can get as a married couple both leading up to and after birth is basically a requirement for most couples. It shouldn't be like that, but this is the world we live in.

Geoff

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whilst I agree that it's an incompatible difference there are many, many men who have ended up compromising in your position and most of them don't regret it.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
It's good that you recognize you shouldn't try and convince her. Life's hard but you'll both bounce back.

Pull the plug. Talk to her straight. She's 30 so she has limited time to do it.

Freakzilla

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Edit: I am just going to clarify that while plenty of kids DO have shitty parents that don't want them and are not capable/willing to take care of them, that doesn't seem to be you. There's a difference between not being capable and not wanting. And there's a difference between not wanting to have kids and not wanting your kid. If you love this woman and are just afraid of life changing decisions, running from life changing is not going to make things better.

2-3 years? Marriage? Wtf
I was 38 when my son was born. Sure, I'll be almost 60 when he graduates high school, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I'm sure and everyone is different but being 40 chasing a toddler is unimagible to me. 29 chasing a 3 year old and a soon to be mobile 6month old is intense. Plus I never wanted to be old while kids were in highschool