• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.engadget.com/2019/04/30/energizer-p18k-pop-crowdfunding/
Remember the comically enormous phone that Avenir Telecom showed off under the Energizer brand at this year's Mobile World Congress? Its subsequent crowdfunding campaign has crashed and burned, as The Verge points out.

The P18K Pop, as the name suggests, had an 18,000mAh battery (for reference, a typical smartphone has 3,000mAh) and consequently was about the thickness of three iPhones.
The phone got lots of attention and headlines, but as has been proven time and again in tech, those don't necessarily translate to sales. That lesson has come down on Avenir Telecom like a tonne of bricks (or brick-sized phones) now that the phone's crowdfunding page, which ambitiously asked for £927,873 (about $1.2 million), has closed at just 1 percent of its target.
Avenir's Indiegogo page attracted just 11 backers, who contributed a total of £11,602 (about $15,000). The campaign perks ranged from a single P18K handset at £425 ($549) to a three-pack at £1,227 ($1587).
Honestly I kinda of like it, but like 200 dollars like it.

dims

energizer-phones-at-mwc-2019-1.jpg

energizer-phones-at-mwc-2019-1.jpg

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
I dig it. Battery life is my main factor in looking for phones. Also makes me look like I have a big dong when its in my pocket.

Deleted member 8860

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm shocked that people wouldn't actually pony up for a thick-as-a-brick phone with astounding battery life.

Well, not that shocked.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mind a thicker phone if it meant more battery, but that's comical

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
I'm imagining Macguyver using one of these phones to melt through the lock on a bankvault door to escape just in the nick of time.

Yung Coconut

Oct 31, 2017
A) Too big of a monstrosity.

B) I'm not taking part in crowdfunding products from companies that don't need crowdfunding.

C) My current phone already lasts the entire day even if I don't charge it during work hours.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Imagine getting into an arguement with your partner and they throw the phone at you. They be on trial for manslaughter

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I guess you could say that battery's life... ran out.

Or maybe you could say it... didn't keep going. >.>

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
The LG Fiesta 2 has a 4500 battery and that lasts like a whole weekend on battery. My phone, after a year, has yet to die on me. Cut the battery in half with the size and you might have a product people would buy.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Their mistake was turning this into a public crowdfunding campaign when the product itself should have been targeted to industrial applications. I could easily see something like this becoming the Toughbook of smartphones, useful in military deployments or expeditions.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Why not just make a phone with solar panels on the back instead?

Actually, how efficient would solar panels at that size be?

SpecX

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
All this girth and there's still no aux port? No wonder this thing failed!

Why not just make a phone with solar panels on the back instead?

Actually, how efficient would solar panels at that size be?
Not sure, but can you imagine dropping a phone with a solar panel on it the the repair costs?

Corporal

Oct 27, 2017
Neat idea... but way too much heft. They went absolutely crazy there.

I'd consider a slimmed down version with, let's say, 6000-8000 mAh - roughly double the usual amount in today's phones. Ideally, it would be somewhat ruggerized and could survive a few tumbles. A "working man's phone", so to speak. All while still being somewhat manageble in size.

As if I'd ever consider chipping in for a crowd funded project run by decently sized companies though. That's for disaster relief and indie stuff, dammit. Asking me to pay for their market research is a bit much.