• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Enderal is a total conversation mod for Skyrim that first released back in 2016. Since then, some of the developers have been working on a story expansion fleshing out the conspicuously under-used Undercity area. The new version of the mod is only being released through Steam for technical reasons, and only requires you own "Skyrim Classic or Skyrim Legendary Edition on Steam. No DLCs required."

New Release Changes:
  • Two "crafting classes" that utilize alchemy and enchanting for combat - use potions to shapeshift into a werewolf as the Lycanthrope, use enchanting to craft spirit companions.
  • Improved performance and stability for a smooth experience.
  • Twelve new side quests plus two non-linear guild questlines: Work your way up the Golden Sickle, Enderal's merchant's guild and infiltrate the ranks of the Rhalâta, the enigmatic cult ruling the Undercity.
  • Reworked and improved crafting, spells, and much more.
(I think they've also added a third ending.)

IMHO, the Enderal is one of the best total conversations mods ever created, and one of the best RPGs of the past few years. First person open world RPGs are pretty rare, and it's great to see modders carrying that torch through modding. The post-release support from the developers has been awesome, too, with heaps of post-release patching and now this expansion.

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
For anyone wondering, this is a completely standalone SKU, so don't worry about your mods/saves/inis getting overwritten etc from your existing Skyrim/Skyrim SE installs.

shnitzel

Dec 3, 2017
Great trailer. The music, voice acting and atmosphere is soo good. I absolutely need to play this some time.

Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, how did I miss this announcement? I've been waiting YEARS to play this........never wanted to jump in without the extra content. Man, this is going to be amazing

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
All over this one.

You don't even have to have Skyrim installed.

The Enderal launcher just looks for your Skyrim license and installs independently once it's discovered.

Can't wait.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't even played through the original Skyrim questline yet......started playing on PSVR but set that aside to wait for higher resolution VR displays. After being blown away by Nehrim, I decided to wait for this release of Enderal. Hoping that my 4 year old rig can play this close to maxed out 1080p.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Btw, people, to reiterate what Dr. Carroll says; Enderal, yes, this Enderal, is one of the best RPGs of 2016 to stroll out of the west. Fun, snazzy, and a story told in melodramatic but confident style, continuing off of a previous conversion mod for Oblivion that nevertheless isn't directly needed to gel with the setting as it works fairly well stand-alone. Also stronger mechanically and play-wise to Skyrim in a myriad of ways, so praise engines for refinement. A mod much overlooked in proportion to its scope!

flyinj

Oct 25, 2017
I played about 10 hours of the original release of this.

This isn't just a Skyrim mod. It is an entirely new RPG with new systems, combat, story, etc that uses the Skyrim engine.

It is REALLY good.

I would say the closest comparison is Gothic running in the Skyrim engine. The combat is so much better than Skyrim (it is still janky, but this time euro-jank instead of goofy Skyrim combat).

I have no idea how these people worked for free on this thing. It could easily be released as its own epic RPG.

I can't wait to play the new version.

Oct 25, 2017
So this is out and yet I'm stuck at work and also have Civ. VI Gathering Storm begging to be played when I get home. Need some impressions on this from those who are far more fortunate than I am right now.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
enderal was pretty good, although the plot was basically a mass effect ripoff.

will be checking this out

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Bumping this just to say I found myself staying up late both last night and tonight getting lost in this. I'm having a great time. It's scratching that big open-ended-single-player-western-rpg itch that I haven''t really had scratched since...Elex?

Also I think it looks pretty great for a game built off of Oldrim.

7r8qYvc.jpg

Some bigger: outdoors images:
https://my.mixtape.moe/noctfv.png
https://my.mixtape.moe/lqsoae.png

Dutch Masters

Jun 7, 2018
It's a shame how few people are going to play this game. Many just write it off as another skyrim mod and move along.

It really is fantastic.

rybrad

Oct 25, 2017
What's a fun build to play? I typically love melee but hate how it felt in Skyrim so I was a caster for that game.

Line

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The combat is still Skyrim.
With an actual try at balance, so magic is not a complete joke and scales with your own power; but the stealthy pewpew will always reign supreme since the AI is not great.
I found melee to be pretty complicated, many enemies do a ton of damage in close combat, especially when you don't know their power level as there is no scaling. Not uncommon to be sent flying in two hits.

The equivalent of shouts is absolutely vital depending on your build, but you have a lot of leeway in making hybrid specs later on. I think having some summons is very important if you want to go melee.

Acu

Jan 2, 2018
I really tried to get myself into this. Been long since I tried a full conversion mod or any content mod for Skyrim. Years, maybe.

Being said that, I found the first 7 hours of this absolutely amazing and well directed. They clearly know how to set up the mood, introducing the world and dropping lore tid bits here and there that WILL keep you engaged.

But then it comes the actual gameplay... is still Skyrim at its heart.

Bad movement, bad hitting angles, enemies are arrow-sponges, impossible way to know where exactly is your enemy (even more with all the weird pacing some monsters tend to take if you are up on a hill). I honestly think that any approach to what Gothic/Risen games did with you, the hero, being a total piece of shit at the start was greatly executed then and poorly copied after that. And even if I downscaled the difficulty, the combat is not fun after all. Is still Skyrim.

So, yea, Enderal seems to be great and the world looks gorgeous, the characters likable and the lore is promising. The voice acting is supreme for a completely amateur work and the perks and abilites looks fun and diverse enough to experiment.

BUT is still Skyrim.

And yea, I looked up for mods to change the combat, to make it really engaging and what not, but it still was a patch over an awful core system. After having played SO many great games with much, far more better combat systems, I can't manage to like this.

I feel really bad, because everything about Enderal looks SO great...

Roven

Nov 2, 2017
I played it for a while when it first was released but performance was pretty wonky. I'm still going to wait for special edition version.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I played it for a while when it first was released but performance was pretty wonky. I'm still going to wait for special edition version.

For some reason, the settings default to highly limit CPU and Ram usage (like 2 cores and 2GB?). I had a huge performance boost when I turned those sliders all the way up in the configurator.

Roven

Nov 2, 2017
For some reason, the settings default to highly limit CPU and Ram usage (like 2 cores and 2GB?). I had a huge performance boost when I turned those sliders all the way up in the configurator.
I remember tweaking the settings and getting some improvements, but those huge frame drops when looking in random directions were just too annoying. Let's hope the special edition will fix those issues completely (If it will come at all)

OP
OP
Dr. Caroll

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Devs have just uploaded a new patch. I was holding off for this patch personally because it fixes some quest breaking bugs. https://steamcommunity.com/games/933480/announcements/detail/1753493876397557292

Quests:
Mainquest
  • "The Void" (MQ02):
    • Fixed a softlock caused by the player only grabbing or reading one of Yero's letters.
  • "Interlude" (MQ08Prologue):
    • Fixed a bug that caused Leora Eren to not be present at the discussion in the Emporium.
  • "A Story from Spring" (FS_MQ18c):
    • Preliminary fix for a static object.
Sidequests
  • "Revenge is Sour" (NQ05):
    • Fixed experience points at the end of the quest.
  • "Find Max Niceblood!" (NQ18):
    • The message at his camp gets no longer displayed before the quest even started.
  • "The Ghost of the Bottle" (NQ33):
    • Fixed a display issue.
  • "The Elixir" (FS_NQ05):
    • Added an objective so that the player now clearly recognizes that he has to wait some time for the epilogue.
    • Fixed an issue with the notes of Mirell still being interactable after starting quest.
  • "Cuthbert's Legacy" (FS_NQ07):
    • Fixed a bug where Aurora got stuck during her animation, preventing the start of the dinner scene.
  • "A Foot in the Door" (NQ_G_01):
    • Fixed an issue that ended the previous quest early and locked the player out of the quest line.
    • Fixed an issue that lead to a hold when the player left Rogash's dialogue too early.
    • Fixed an issue that prevented Gunam giving the player his vouchers.
  • "The Long Way to the Top" (NQ_G_02):
    • Added an additional Questmarker for Old Garagatha, so if the player leaves, he'll find the location again.
    • The player is no longer able to leave Old Garagatha via teleport scrolls upon a certain point during the quest.
  • "Errand Boy" (NQ_G_03):
    • Probably fixed a bug that caused the combat soundtrack to get stuck when the two enemeis at the caravan.
      • If you already have this quest started or if the combat soundtrack is already looping in your save, you can enter the command "removemusic b6327" into the console. Make sure to do this at least 2-3 times and cornfirm each line with enter.
  • "In our Shadows" (FS_NQR03):
    • Knowledge dialogue gets evaluated properly.
  • "Dark Chambers of our Mind" (FS_NQR05):
    • Probably fixed an issue that caused the Father to appear way to early at the excavation side.
Tech:
  • Adjusted the file enblocal.ini to solve keyboard incompatibility issues.
  • Fixed a bug in the Battle of Treomar card game that caused the wrong card value to be stored if the player waited long enough while attempting to cheat.
  • Shrouded Mages can also be mesmerized.
  • Fixed an issue causing some NPC to only wear underwear.
  • Improved several conditions of generic dialogue.
  • Normal and Red Vynroot now also get affected by the perk "Careful Harvest".
  • Fixed a bug that caused souls to respawn and allowing the player to have multiple souls of the same name.
  • Learning and Crafting book should no longer restore health upon being read.
  • Lots of items are now properly craftable.
  • Probably fixed a bug that caused items to be renamed as their actual effect.
    • Already renamed items are not affected by this fix.
  • Fixed a crash caused when attempting to the book "Diary of a Miner".
  • Added a message that shows that the horseflute was added to the inventory.
  • Fixed an issue when the player used the horseflute from the back of the mount.
    • This probably only applies to new saves.
  • Attacking a dead Rhalâim in Old Aïsolôn no longer teleports the player into a certain place kills them shortly after.
  • If an enemy dies who got affected by a "Frenzy" spell or the talent "Entropic Blood", the EXP will be given to the player properly.
  • Fixed an issue with the Spell "Grave Curse" causing dropped body parts to be invisible in the inventory if they got picked up.
  • Another fix was added to prevent companions from being shattered.
  • Fixed "Cold Glance of the Rat Catcher" so that the head is still visible.
  • Fixed a bug within the werewolf transformation that caused players to lose set bonuses permanently. Removed redundant code.
  • Fixed multiple textures and cubemaps.
  • Phasmalist Workbench blueprints can be added to the blueprint collection.
  • Fixed multiple ownership issues of objects.

• Removed remaining strings from Update.esm.
  • Solved a issue between the Update.esm and Enderal - Forgotten Stories.esm.
Balancing:
  • Slightly reduced the duration of the talent "Eye of the Storm" by -2 / -2 / -3 seconds.
  • Reduced duration of "Tapestry of Souls" to 20 / 25 / 30 seconds, but made the soul sound hearable from a greater distance.
  • Increased cooldown of the talent "Arctic Wind" to 25 / 30 / 35 seconds.
  • Fixed issues concerning children helping the player in a certain fight against bandits.
  • It's now more difficult to obtain the "Aetera Dagger" in a certain tower.
  • Added more early game Entropy spells and learning books.
World:
  • Fixed multiple cases of open levels that allowed the player to glitch out of the level.
  • Fixed multiple cases of the player getting stuck between or in objects.
  • Improved Performance in the starting area and around Three River Watch.
UI:
  • Fixed lots of typos and descriptions, made multiple strings localizable.
Sound
  • Added missing voicefiles. Corrected multiple cut-off voicefiles.
Launcher
  • Datafiles show last plugin edit date instead of the creation date.
  • Reworked window mode selection.
  • Added additional shadow distance settings slider.
  • Optimized launcher load and save time.

• Improved usability of the Steam Workshop tool.
    • Default Workshop image defined.
    • Mods without files are no longer uploadable.
    • Mod tags can be adjusted via update mod option.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I really tried to get myself into this. Been long since I tried a full conversion mod or any content mod for Skyrim. Years, maybe.

Being said that, I found the first 7 hours of this absolutely amazing and well directed. They clearly know how to set up the mood, introducing the world and dropping lore tid bits here and there that WILL keep you engaged.

But then it comes the actual gameplay... is still Skyrim at its heart.

Bad movement, bad hitting angles, enemies are arrow-sponges, impossible way to know where exactly is your enemy (even more with all the weird pacing some monsters tend to take if you are up on a hill). I honestly think that any approach to what Gothic/Risen games did with you, the hero, being a total piece of shit at the start was greatly executed then and poorly copied after that. And even if I downscaled the difficulty, the combat is not fun after all. Is still Skyrim.

So, yea, Enderal seems to be great and the world looks gorgeous, the characters likable and the lore is promising. The voice acting is supreme for a completely amateur work and the perks and abilites looks fun and diverse enough to experiment.

BUT is still Skyrim.

And yea, I looked up for mods to change the combat, to make it really engaging and what not, but it still was a patch over an awful core system. After having played SO many great games with much, far more better combat systems, I can't manage to like this.

I feel really bad, because everything about Enderal looks SO great...
I get what you're saying. I couldn't go back playing vanilla Skyrim combat either. There has to be a combat mod installed, including stuff like non-telegraphed attack and dodge.

Do those mods work with Enderal, I wonder?

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Got about a dozen hours into the official launch code and this game is gd amazing.

The writing is really top notch. And the world is gorgeous.

I can't wrap my head around the fact that this thing is completely free.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Played and beat the original release, but I've got no idea how it's changed since then (if at all).

Two big questions for those who've played the updated version:
1. Can you just ignore the main quest? I have no desire to go through the story again, but would enjoy roleplaying new characters.
2. Have they increased the enemy variety at all? I remember most enemies were sadly still draugr and skeletons in the initial release.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Still playing this nightly and having a damn good time. Yes the combat is "still Skyrim" but that's not affecting my enjoyment much at all. I think the game is pretty gorgeous for what it is, Ark is shockingly detailed (puts Union City in New California to shame), and several of the quests are interesting and engaging. Not only that, but having dungeon areas that aren't just gated horseshoes filled with Draugrs (or whatever they are called) is pretty nice.

Killed my first dragon yesterday by distracting it with summons and then using eye of the storm on its back. I enjoy the quests where all you do is sit down and talk to a comrade at the tavern equally as much.

Ice Claws are kinda a neat mechanic too. I like encumbrance limits in theory but always hated how it was often just a strength stat dump to improve it.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
In the enderal folder open enblocal.ini and change EnableFPSLimit=true to EnableFPSLimit=false. I do not recommend this though. Skyrim's gets really buggy (moreso then normal) when going above 60.

Still feels choppy as hell, like gsync isnt working while enb is active. Any way to just get rid of enb completely and use RTSS to cap it at 60?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Gonna have to give this a try if people are saying the combat is tweaked. Skyrim's combat is all kinds of tragic and no amount of mods ever fixed the act of combat itself for me; best I could do was use perks mods that made it somewhat more palatable.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Tried to play this and just couldnt. Which is weird because I loved Skyrim back in the day, I guess... not so much these days. It also seemed very buggy.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Tried this out last night, really enjoying it a lot so far. It is definitely it's own game and I am really impressed by it. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes Skyrim/Oblivion/Morrowind, I think there's a pretty good chance you will enjoy this just as much.
Anyone playing with gameplay overhaul mod? This seems to add a lot to the game, from immersion, AI, enemy, to combat.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/78118
I did not install this one, but I did grab the NPC and kid overhauls and some other smaller mods that I always install for Skyrim anyways.

Oct 25, 2017
I've read people saying the side questlines aren't very good, unlike the main Elder Scrolls games, but the main quest is amazing. Should I just stick with the main path then? Any particular questlines that are worth exploring?

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I've read people saying the side questlines aren't very good, unlike the main Elder Scrolls games, but the main quest is amazing. Should I just stick with the main path then? Any particular questlines that are worth exploring?

Hmm. I'm not really feeling that so far. I haven't finished it, but the quest line that starts at the Undercity Arena is really engaging. It's got some great characters and mood, and I like how it's morally ambiguous. Looks like it's one of the major questlines in the game based on some of the achievement lists and such. Looks like the other major questline is the one that starts at the Golden Sickle guild.

I'm enjoying some of the low key quests as well, like the "companion" ones where you just chill with them at the tavern or on top of the watchtower. Most of the characters are surprisingly well voiced too.

Some of them are obviously kinda more filler (the egg hunt and the bounties) but on average I'm enjoying the side quests. At least there's no 'radiant' chaff to mentally screen out.

Dutch Masters

Jun 7, 2018
Beat the original version years ago and I'm enjoying the new version immensely. Lots of new content and it's interesting to play through the story again knowing what's going to happen.

Looking forward to discovering the new ending.