• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GlassCup64

Dec 16, 2017
Great new additions! I can foresee a lot of mileage out of the countdowns.
was hoping this would fix the bug on iOS safari where the page never completely loads but that's still present. the "X" to stop loading is still always present

edit: and sometimes the load bar never finishes
Ah, good to know this wasn't my internet.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Any chance we'll ever get folders for Watched Threads, or a way to split Gaming/EtcetEra from Latest & Trending?

Those are the last two big things I want

Love the timer update, will make things easier when trying to work out when big events start

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
Great updates! I hope that thread creators being able to edit their own typos in their threads will cut down on a bunch of reports for you folks so you can handle the more serious issues more quickly. I'm not sure how many of those simple reports you got each day, but it still took time out of your other stuff to do. Also cheers for the time/date preference update!

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I was wondering what Tickets were. The improvements to Alerts will be so nice. And hopefully title editing for OP will cut down on the silly useless page full of jokes about a typo. Next you need to let the OP move their thread to the other forum within 5 minutes because that seems to happen more often than title typos.

Dec 21, 2020 at 2:45 AM until I'm 41 because I'm old!

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
With the new ticketing system, will we actually get replies to our inquiries?

Hey, I hate to ask this in a thread about nice improvements, but uh, can we pretty please get an extension on how long 2FA stays active and logged in? I hate having to login every 30 days on hardware that I know is in my possession.

Yes please

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I really like the countdown (and count-up) feature! Two suggestions for future versions:
  1. Could we get an option to insert an "and" before the last unit of time in a sequence? (e.g., "2 months, 4 days, and 17 minutes", "4 years and 6 months", etc.) It would make the timers read a lot better when inserted in the middle of a sentence.
  2. An option for timers with forced single units; for example, a days-only timer even when it's been more than one month/year. (e.g., "833 Days" instead of "2 Years, 3 Months, 11 Days").
Great work once again!

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
Thread Title Edits!!!!! yes, finally we get out hands on this revolutionary new feature!

great job Era! these are great QoL changes that make a huge difference and better improve the Era experience for many. thanks 👍

Ckoerner

Aug 7, 2019
was hoping this would fix the bug on iOS safari where the page never completely loads but that's still present. the "X" to stop loading is still always present

edit: and sometimes the load bar never finishes

574-DA098-699-C-4110-8-CBA-7-B54-EB65-FFFC.png
Do you have an adbocker or other extension in place that might be mucking with loading?

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you really appreciate the added user edited titles option! I've reported so many of my thread titles with spelling mistakes hahahaha.

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018
There is now a word-counter under the reply editor

It doesn't update instantly (every 0.6s at most), so should be OK for even slower devices.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tickets are a better way to reach the staff than private messages, as more staff will have access to them, which should help ensure that you get a response. This system also functionally replaces the "Contact Us" email form. Please note that while we will do our best to respond at least once to all Tickets, response times may vary and we do not promise an endless back and forth.
What kind of wait should we expect before any kind of response is given on a ticket?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I feel personally attacked by the word counter in the input box. 🤬

Will be turning that off or hiding it :D

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is now a word-counter under the reply editor

It doesn't update instantly (every 0.6s at most), so should be OK for even slower devices.
It comes for free with one of software updates, so why not?
www.resetera.com

What's your thought on the new word counter?

So ERA what's your thought on the new word counter introduced on the forum? Do you like it, do you not like it? 25 Words

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018
I've decreased the time the word-counter script waits before re-computing the word-count. It doesn't run immediately as otherwise it risks being a CPU hog.

Fixing the "1 Words" thing needs some more work, we can change the phrase so it is "Word(s)" but 1 word posts aren't exactly super-common.

It needs about 2-4 pixels of padding on the left side.
Should be done. There are a bunch of places where the UI doesn't quite have as much padding or whitespace as it should, and are slowly being polished over time.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is the widget just a javascript thing or something more complex, do you have access to the source code?

DownUnderCoder

Administrator
Dec 15, 2018
Is the widget just a javascript thing or something more complex, do you have access to the source code?
It is some javascript I've written as part of the software Resetera uses. The bb-code only mode integration was more complex than it should have been and why despite the majority of the feature existing for over a year it hadn't been "default on".

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
what's up with the new feature which tells you how many words you've typed in your post?...any way to get rid of that?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Anyone else who thinks the site feels unresponsive since this update? Scrolling in particular feels very jerky. I noticed it immediately after the update, but I figured my own browser was probably the culprit. Except other sites don't have the issue, nor did restarting both Firefox and then my laptop solve the issue.

It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough for it to be noticeable. I haven't been able to find a pattern. For example, it happens on pages that just loaded as well as tabs that have been open for a while. It happens on pages without images as well as pages with relatively many of them. If anything it seems to come in spells, where the entire forum displays this behavior for 5 - 10 minutes before it returns to normal.

I'm using Firefox 83.0 on macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else who thinks the site feels unresponsive since this update? Scrolling in particular feels very jerky. I noticed it immediately after the update, but I figured my own browser was probably the culprit. Except other sites don't have the issue, nor did restarting both Firefox and then my laptop solve the issue.

It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough for it to be noticeable. I haven't been able to find a pattern. For example, it happens on pages that just loaded as well as tabs that have been open for a while. It happens on pages without images as well as pages with relatively many of them. If anything it seems to come in spells, where the entire forum displays this behavior for 5 - 10 minutes before it returns to normal.

I'm using Firefox 83.0 on macOS Mojave 10.14.6.
It's probably due to the word counter

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We've deployed an update to the Tickets feature allowing banned members to access it. This should help make ban appeals much easier for everyone involved.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
i would strongly suggest making the countdown feature mandatory for all event threads. it takes a few seconds and helps a lot. most OPs are just a tweet anyway so it's not a lot of extra effort.

A.J. from VC

Video Chums
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Hello. I submitted a ticket that was "Rejected" without a reason given. It read as follows:

Hotlinked images (referrer + credit)

I noticed that there are a lot of hotlinked images from our website on ResetEra. I also understand that you've disabled "referrer" site-wide in order for certain image hosting platforms to work properly.

However, smaller websites like mine can use up a lot of our resources due to rampant hotlinked images so it would be great if I could serve images to ResetEra normally (ie: with a referrer in-place).

Would it be possible to implement a different solution for these tricky image hosting platforms other than disabling referrer site-wide?

Also, crediting domains whenever an image is hotlinked from it would be a great way to provide credit where credit is due (for example, putting "via: soandso.com" underneath it).

For some clarity, I have a list of domains that hotlink from us a lot so I can serve smaller images to them which saves a ton of bandwidth. However, I can't add ResetEra to that list because its referrer is disabled site-wide.

As I also said, I think it would be fair to credit websites for their images with some sort of automated system.