• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017
I own a Surface Pro 7 and seeing how decently powerful the 10th gen CPUs (I know...I know, they're no Ryzens), I decided to see how emulation would fare. The Switch was a gamechanger for me in terms of finding something that I can play on the go (obviously less so with a pandemic, but here's to hoping things would be normal), and hence that's why I thought of the Surface Pro. I can plug to HDMI through USB-C, and the thermals are quite balanced. I found that I was able to emulate up to Gamecube quite well before the system starts to get warm.

Anyway, the real gamechanger was the fact that I was able to boost the resolution to 720p/1080p, and it looks beautiful. Thanks to the ability to emulate my library at higher resolutions, I see no reason to have old consoles hooked up to my HDTV anymore (let alone looking at HDMI mods, which are costly and requires soldering skill/knowing someone who can solder reliably)

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
I recommend if you're playing any GC games to look up to see if anyone has made HD texture packs for them, can really enhance some games like Paper Mario. I know there's also a Paper Mario custom texture pack to replace the button images, so if you're playing with an Xbox controller the in game prompts match the Xbox X, Y, A, and B etc

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I see no reason to have old consoles hooked up to my HDTV anymore (let alone looking at HDMI mods, which are costly and requires soldering skill/knowing someone who can solder reliably)

It depends on the console and which games. For example there's still N64 and PS2 games that don't work well in emulation, and if you are lag-sensitive then there's a difference in "feel" as well. Some N64 games look beautiful upscaled but then when I play them on the original hardware on a CRT they are definitely more responsive. It varies from game to game.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, the real gamechanger was the fact that I was able to boost the resolution to 720p/1080p, and it looks beautiful. Thanks to the ability to emulate my library at higher resolutions, I see no reason to have old consoles hooked up to my HDTV anymore (let alone looking at HDMI mods, which are costly and requires soldering skill/knowing someone who can solder reliably)

Lag mostly, but if you don't feel it then that's fine. It's only really an issue with games that demand instant responses like punch out and the like.

I find it a bit messy myself having so many consoles hooked up. I already have pretty much my entire library dumped, so long term I'm looking at buying a Mister FPGA system, which will allow me put most of my earlier consoles into storage, but I'm waiting for a good monitor with 60hz single strobe, so I don't have motion blur issues either.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
The main reason to use original hardware or FPGA clones is that you know you're getting the original experience as intended, and it doesn't add any latency.
Emulators rarely have 100% compatibility - even the ones rated as being highly accurate - and may add latency.
Of course with run-ahead emulation and VRR displays, it's now possible to achieve lower latency than original hardware in many cases, but it requires a powerful system to achieve that.

Sound emulation is often overlooked too.
It's generally good for systems like the SNES/Genesis, but I was recently reading that the Beetle PSX core in RetroArch still doesn't have some of the accuracy improvements made in the latest version of Mednafen - and that affects big games like Final Fantasy VII.
For many other systems, I just don't know how it compares to original hardware, since they might be less tested in general.

It's possible that things have improved since I last tried, but I was never able to get GameCube/Wii emulation to run 100% smoothly and glitch-free compared to playing on a Wii U either (or original hardware).
The games ran well, but not exactly as they should. You'd get an occasional stutter or audio glitch here and there.

The downside to original hardware or FPGA clones is that it's expensive, and you don't get the filtering/shader options that you do with emulation to make many of these games look their best on a modern display.
There are many CRT shaders/presets which are very impressive these days, and look far better than the basic filtering/scanline options that you get with HDMI-modded systems or FPGAs (if any).

Lag mostly, but if you don't feel it then that's fine. It's only really an issue with games that demand instant rezponses like punch out and the like

I find it a bit messy myself having so many consoles hooked up. I already have pretty much my entire library dumped, so long term I'm looking at buying a Mister FPGA system, but I'm waiting for a good monitor with 60hz single strobe, so I don't have motion blur issues either.
Can't retroarch get even lower latency than the original consoles now?

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Emulation has always been magic to me. I never had a SNES, but used to play Battletoads in Battlemaniacs on the family pentium 1.

One crazy thing is that emulation on the OG Xbox is still pretty poor. When the console first came out I waited to buy it, assuming its PC architecture meant an emulator would be out like 6 mo after launch.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
Emulation/preservation is one of the absolute best things about video games.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
Maybe this is a dumb question, but I am still confused by all of this.

Is Emulation allowed, or is it not allowed?

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
It's amazing that a lot of PS3/360 games can now be played pretty much perfectly on PC, upscaled and with better framerates.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
As someone who adores video games, I've never been much a fan of emulation.

I'll admit - taking something that doesn't require super precise timing - say a Gamecube RPG, and experiencing it in 4K/60fps on my PC is amazing. No doubt.

But for old arcade games or classic fighters? I'd rather pay (much) more for the original experience - quirks and low resolution and all. I'm hungry for the "authentic experience" and all the timing/low latency that comes with it.

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
has been a gamechanger for me since 1997 i discovered it. I truly love it (even though i don't use it that much anymore)

Emulation is legal, rom talk is not
But it seems like you need the latter for the former, no?

EDIT: Sorry this isn't the venue for this conversation, but I have always been interested but skeptical due to concerns over where it was something you were actually allowed to do.

androvsky

Oct 27, 2017
It depends on the console and which games. For example there's still N64 and PS2 games that don't work well in emulation, and if you are lag-sensitive then there's a difference in "feel" as well. Some N64 games look beautiful upscaled but then when I play them on the original hardware on a CRT they are definitely more responsive. It varies from game to game.
True, but for older 8-bit and 16-bit systems, Retroarch now has a run-ahead option that lets you match or even beat the original hardware's latency even over HDMI. It doesn't take crazy hardware either, a $40 Raspberry Pi 4 can handle it for many cores.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but I am still confused by all of this.

Is Emulation allowed, or is it not allowed?
Emulation is perfectly legal. There's a lot of handwaving on how to get the games into the emulators, but Retroarch is starting to improve the situation since they're starting to support playing CD-based games directly from the original game disc. They're also promoting open hardware specs for inexpensive ROM dumpers so people can play their own cartridges too.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

MoosGoMoo

Banned
Jan 27, 2021
But it seems like you need the latter for the former, no?

EDIT: Sorry this isn't the venue for this conversation, but I have always been interested but skeptical due to concerns over where it was something you were actually allowed to do.
If you own the game (so have paid for it), who cares. And if the game isn't legally for sale anymore (so nobody who made/published the game can profit from it), who cares. The only people losing out are second hand sellers. Again, who cares.

Video games is the one medium where it's still a pain to access a large library of content. Films, music and books are all pretty much there for everyone, but games? Locked behind decades old hardware.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
As someone who adores video games, I've never been much a fan of emulation.

I'll admit - taking something that doesn't require super precise timing - say a Gamecube RPG, and experiencing it in 4K/60fps on my PC is amazing. No doubt.

But for old arcade games or classic fighters? I'd rather pay (much) more for the original experience - quirks and low resolution and all. I'm hungry for the "authentic experience" and all the timing/low latency that comes with it.
MiSTer FPGA would get you that "authentic" experience really for the most part. That said, it's fun to mess around with OG hardware. My main issue is CRT or rather lack of it. Plus, old hardware is fairly fragile.

That said, yeah, since I mainly play older games like RPGs, Adventure, etc... that don't require precise input, emulation works really well. Still going to put together MiSTer for the others.

More advantages of emulation are english translations for titles that never made it out of Japan, game tweaks/ROM hacks, cheats (:P), save states, and more. That said, MiSTer does provide some of that and you can even get some of the functionality through Everdrive type carts and alike.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
If you own the game (so have paid for it), who cares. And if the game isn't legally for sale anymore (so nobody who made/published the game can profit from it), who cares. The only people losing out are second hand sellers. Again, who cares.

To be absolutely clear here, we care. And we won't host discussion about piracy or justification of piracy, for any reasons. You can discuss emulation and happily emulate your games without piracy.

If anyone wants to check up on our rules about discussing piracy and emulation (Eamon696 !) it's all in the FAQ.

While software piracy is never acceptable, emulation is legal and discussions about it are welcome. As long as a hack can be used for legitimate homebrew and/or legal emulation it can be discussed here, and those discussions should not be derailed by piracy concerns. Do not enter a thread about homebrew or emulation and conflate the subject with piracy.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any advancement on playing Monster Rancher through emulation? Cause i never finished Monster ranchcer evo on the ps2 and the case taunts me

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
MiSTer FPGA would get you that "authentic" experience really for the most part. That said, it's fun to mess around with OG hardware. My main issue is CRT or rather lack of it. Plus, old hardware is fairly fragile.

That said, yeah, since I mainly play older games like RPGs, Adventure, etc... that don't require precise input, emulation works really well. Still going to put together MiSTer for the others.

More advantages of emulation are english translations for titles that never made it out of Japan, game tweaks/ROM hacks, cheats (:P), save states, and more. That said, MiSTer does provide some of that and you can even get some of the functionality through Everdrive type carts and alike.

Sorry! Should have been more clear - completely agree with your sentiment. While I still prefer original hardware (I use an OSSC to hook up my older consoles to my OLED), I'm 99.9% satisfied with hardware-based FGPA emulation. Analogue's stuff is amazing, and I've started looking into my own MiSTer.

Agreed, it gets you close enough for 99.9% of people. But then, even with that, something like an arcade fighter is just... extra special when dealing with the original hardware. The CRT. The cab. Etc.

Shiranui93

One Winged Slayer
Mar 7, 2018
I'm emulating DKC Returns in 1080p right now and the difference in image quality compared to the Wii is phenomenal. It feels like it wasn't even meant to be played on the Wii but on a higher resolution device in the first place. In addition, I set the motion controls to the shoulder buttons of my Switch Pro Controller, so I don't have to deal with the forced shake controls either. And it runs without any stuttering whatsoever.

It's beautiful.

filkry

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of modern consoles with OSs and home brew scenes make it very easy to dump your own games with an ergonomic app. I'm still occasionally picking up 3DS or Wii games and the first thing I do is stick them in the console and dump them, so when my console kicks the bucket I will still be able to play my games.

I'll be sad when this capability goes away, as I expect the kind of enhanced security that began in the Xbox One will keep future consoles from ever being opened up.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I love emulation, and the great thing is, it should get better with time

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I'm emulating DKC Returns in 1080p right now and the difference in image quality compared to the Wii is phenomenal. It feels like it wasn't even meant to be played on the Wii but on a higher resolution device in the first place. In addition, I set the motion controls to the shoulder buttons of my Switch Pro Controller, so I don't have to deal with the forced shake controls either. And it runs without any stuttering whatsoever.

It's beautiful.
A lot of the Wii games (and Gamecube games for that matter) can be upsampled really nicely to 1080p and beyond and look all the better for it. Now I have a better PC I'm playing a few of my Wii games via Dolphin and something like Super Mario Galaxy 2 looks fantastic in HD. Likewise, playing Sonic Colours with a code to unlock its FPS (to 60FPS) is a game changer for it, infinitely smoother experience to how it was on a console.

Other games I've messed around with that benefit from emulation is Yakuza 1&2 for the PS2. Before I had the PS3 HD collection I'd play the PS2 versions via emulation because a) I like the original games over the remakes and b) emulating the games in this fashion lets you up the res to an HD picture (and they look great) while also eliminating the insane load times that plague both PS2 entries.

And there's many other advantages... I like to play games on the original hardware where I can, but emulation is an excellent alternative that can not only preserve the games for future generations (not like the physical games will last forever) and in some instances, improve the experience over the original game (as you say, DKCR is vastly better without that garbage "shake to roll" mechanic)

Eamon

Prophet of Truth
Apr 22, 2020
To be absolutely clear here, we care. And we won't host discussion about piracy or justification of piracy, for any reasons. You can discuss emulation and happily emulate your games without piracy.

If anyone wants to check up on our rules about discussing piracy and emulation (Eamon696 !) it's all in the FAQ.
Thank you I will review the FAQ!

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Emulation keeps getting better over time and that is exciting. I wish some systems weren't so hard to emulate accurately though.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
Emulation is going to be the way a lot of old games get anything near a remaster. As more emulators support texture dumping and replacing, you'll see a lot of AI upscaled texture packs for games that no one is re-releasing due to rights issues and lack of interest.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
People often mention latency but as long as you don't play competitive and/or fighting games requiring ms-precise input you should be fine.

When it comes to sound emulating games might show some flaws in some or many games. Not too mention that depending on the platform and gaming you're required to tinker with different versions and/or settings.

Graphical glitches and bug, also on the gameplay might occur. So you probably might want to check out an emulation wiki about known bugs and issues.

Then again having many consoles simulatenously set-up to your sound system and TV might be as much bothersome as I most recently experienced by myself. As inconvenient emulation sometimes sounds it's still more convenient depending on the game and platform than hooking up original hardware.

Also, depending on your hardware you might as well use emulators. If you don't have an old tube anymore there's not much of a point, as in playing on your 4k TV except you invest in additional hardware solutions that manipulate the output on your modern screen. Which, again, requires time, money and some tinkering.

With less time for gaming than 15 years ago and with how far emulation already got I stick to that. I'm not enough of a retro-fan to maintain all this old hardware. I still hold my RGB modded French N64 model dear but I think I'm not gonna play soon on original hardware while I boot up my games via emulator at least every once in a couple of weeks or months.

sbenji

Jul 25, 2019
I think I'm the only one in the world but I hate when anything is rendered at a higher resolution than what it was designed for.

witcher 3 is unplayable on series x. everything is so sharp it highlights the lowlights in the game.

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
Emulation is perfectly legal. There's a lot of handwaving on how to get the games into the emulators, but Retroarch is starting to improve the situation since they're starting to support playing CD-based games directly from the original game disc. They're also promoting open hardware specs for inexpensive ROM dumpers so people can play their own cartridges too.

I did not know it was becoming possible to run off of the disc.

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
Save states alone are a blessing for old games. Some old FPS games like Call of Duty Finest Hour and Medal of Honor Frontline don't have checkpoints, so falling back to a saved state saves so much time when revisiting them.

That plus being able to use any controller, enhance graphics, and move saves between devices (Pokemon Red save between PC and PSP). I almost exclusively emulate anything I can.

I got Sonic Colors for Wii from a pawn shop and immediately played in on Dolphin instead of the actual console. The save states and enhanced resolution made up for a few sparse hiccups.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017

Are you talking about for a specific console or something? I was playing saturn games off the disc like 20 years ago on SSF, and nobody liked it. We all ripped our games to isos and used virtual drives because it was such a hassle!

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Emulation is the number one reason to have a great gaming PC and I'm not even joking! Okay, maybe mods is number one, but emulation is up there.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Emulation is amazing. Not only it enhances the experience, it even allows us to have new ones. Stuff like Fightcade and Slippi are keeping classic fighting games alive and kicking, even in the middle of a pandemic. You can hop on Slippi right now and play some Super Smash Bros. Melee with better online experience than pretty much almost every fighting game out there right now.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
FPGA clones is that you know you're getting the original experience as intended

FPGA isn't a guarantee that you're getting the original experience. The accuracy of the cores is only as good as the developers writing them, and while there are very talented people writing very awesome software, mistakes can still slip through.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought a gaming computer for saturn emulation, and again for PS2 emulation some years later lol
I've had two computer rigs in the past ten years- one with 512MB VRAM dedicated entirely to PS1 emulation, and my current rig with 8GB VRAM, dedicated to playing PS2/GC/Wii/Wii U with the quickness. 😂 Playing older games with better textures, stable framerates, a few hiccups here and there, it's totally worth it. I'm a good 50/50 split between a disc or cart I've ripped and a new EXE these days to be honest.

Emulating Breath of the Wild well is a fucking miracle and I nearly weep whilst playing. (And ripping via FTP at 200kbps oh yeah.)

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Are you talking about for a specific console or something? I was playing saturn games off the disc like 20 years ago on SSF, and nobody liked it. We all ripped our games to isos and used virtual drives because it was such a hassle!

I would assume so, as I've also played ps1 games on emulators using my actual game discs.

But I agree with OP. These days I'd rather play my games on an emulator rather than use the actual system. Also I play LTTP randomizer all the time.

oneils

Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa Canada
I think I'm the only one in the world but I hate when anything is rendered at a higher resolution than what it was designed for.

witcher 3 is unplayable on series x. everything is so sharp it highlights the lowlights in the game.

Witcher 3 was also a pc game at launch (in 2015?) and has always supported high resolutions.
edit: maybe the xbox one version had low res textures and those haven't been updated on xbox series x?

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Emulation is the best. Its so nice being able to laugh at these chucklefucks when they try to re-sell me a half assed port of a game.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Sorry! Should have been more clear - completely agree with your sentiment. While I still prefer original hardware (I use an OSSC to hook up my older consoles to my OLED), I'm 99.9% satisfied with hardware-based FGPA emulation. Analogue's stuff is amazing, and I've started looking into my own MiSTer.

Agreed, it gets you close enough for 99.9% of people. But then, even with that, something like an arcade fighter is just... extra special when dealing with the original hardware. The CRT. The cab. Etc.
Speaking of arcade fighters. There are now adapters to hook up MiSTer into genuine Arcade cabinets! Saw a few YouTube videos on that. Now, that's enticing...

OP
OP
MegaManTrigger
Oct 26, 2017
You could run PSX games off the disc for years. As far back as Emulators like Connectix Virtual Game Station (An Emulator over 20 years old) and ePSXe even. It's just the matter of accuracy and running the games better at higher than native res has come a very long way.

Oh I just mean for Retroarch unless I misunderstood. The only standalone emulators I know you could run off the disc were ePSXe and PCSX2.