• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I know everyone and their dog are taking photos like these right now, but it's still pretty crazy to see the places that are normally chock full of people almost completely empty.

TheBiInBilingual

THE STORE ENSURED ME THERE WOULDN'T BE FILM
Feb 22, 2018
Haunting and horrifying. Good that everyone is obeying the rules though. I had to travel by train recently and had a clear view on the streets of Amsterdam, they were completely empty as well. So not used to that.

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Prague is one of my favorite places, a shame that they are so empty, but it must happen.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't every city centre where no one really lives be non crowded on a cold sunday morning (all shops closed, tourists still in bed)?

Prague also abolished parking in the city centre, so there is that. Munich is on lockdown too, and looks like this Sunday morning, come noon there's an awful lot of bikers and joggers about.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Had a friend teach English in Prague and she said that the medical system there does not fuck around with contagious diseases and that there are all kinds of penalties for going to work with a virus and they'll even do welfare checks on you to make sure you're home. Is that true?

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Wouldn't every city centre where no one really lives be non crowded on a cold sunday morning (all shops closed, tourists still in bed)?

I've been around town fairly early on sunday mornings, and have never ever seen the city (Dublin) as quiet as it is now.

Some snaps from around midday today on some of the (normally) busy streets off the main shopping thoroughfare in Dublin:

hHQABPT.jpg
GVbbMdr.jpg
epAdYbd.jpg

* I was on my <30 minute walk within 2km of my house, of course!

Reedirect

Oct 27, 2017
Had a friend teach English in Prague and she said that the medical system there does not fuck around with contagious diseases and that there are all kinds of penalties for going to work with a virus and they'll even do welfare checks on you to make sure you're home. Is that true?
Can't confirm the welfare checks, but other than that it's all true. Everyone outside also has to cover their face with a surgical mask or you risk getting fined. The government fucked up with in a lot of ways, for one they majorly underestimated the amount of equipment for medical workers and hospitals, but they did a good job in introducing widespread countermeasures to prevent the virus from spreading, and it's going fairly well as of now.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018

Well, yeah, but some of the photos were taken around 10am, so not exactly at dawn, and some of those places (like the Old Town Square and Malostranske Square) are never ever empty normally, not even at night.

Bedlam

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Seeing that bridge empty is crazy.
Yup. When I was there I could hardly see the bridge underneath all the tourists (me and my group were part of the problem, obviously).

Anyone else feels some strange comfort when seeing these usually bustling and crowded places being temporarily abandoned? So beautiful and serene.

smurfx

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
good hopefully all those people staying away will be there this time next year without the worry of coronavirus.

Joni

Oct 27, 2017
Yup. When I was there I could hardly see the bridge underneath all the tourists (me and my group were part of the problem, obviously).

Anyone else feels some strange comfort when seeing these usually bustling and crowded places being temporarily abandoned? So beautiful and serene.
I think the craziest thing I remember was working on the airport during the Eyjafjallajökull eruption and seeing the local airport completely empty. This doesn't feel as crazy yet. Of course, as I live in a small town, I don't see a huge difference in number of people out and about.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I promise this isn't a dig at China, but does anyone have some verified comparison images of the smog levels there since lock down for them started?

I'm in Houston TX and some of the photos my friends have posted from downtown are creepy.

SOBOSLDR

Nov 27, 2017
I live in Prague too and the trams are pretty empty. Traffic near my flat seems less but not a by as much as I would have thought. Our park still gets people but less there as well.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I was in January for the first time in Prague - truly a great looking city.. for me who loves historical cities, it was such a pleasure to see

8OjrS9g.jpg

1Epjq2n.jpg

w8HNqKY.jpg
rPxpodp.jpg

nPomFhR.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 46948

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
I live in Prague too and the trams are pretty empty. Traffic near my flat seems less but not a by as much as I would have thought. Our park still gets people but less there as well.

Everything was a lot emptier the first week after the quarantine was first imposed. Yesterday the streets were full of people again - they all had masks on, but otherwise, it was business as usual. I think people got used to the new situation and stopped being afraid, which honestly is dumb since we're just getting started.

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile in a town near me.

Normally Llandudno would be absolutely rammed with pensioners and holiday makers from the North of England.
Now its just goats.