• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Pretty damn scary. I sure don't remember that Trump portrait from my NZ trip back in March.

I never heard of a Journalist Visa before, and this guy was from the US right?

But yeah don't under-estimate the Trumpers here in Cali, they're really out and proud here. I see someone with a Trump shirt and/or hat at least once a day.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
I never heard of a Journalist Visa before, and this guy was from the US right?

Yes. It is required. I picked up some freelance assignments a few years back when one European outlet had their editors turned back at LAX because they arrived for E3 on tourist visas. Empire is based in London, IIRC. A US citizen wouldn't have a US visa.

The Last Laugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 31, 2018
Why is it that people put these stories out but for some reason never put the piece of shit's name out there. They are a journalist so you know they got it down. Name and shame these fucking flaws and expose them. The story without the name , yeah sorry bad time but what is the point without the information?

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Before 45, there was a mural that stated "Welcome to the United States" that hung over the escalator on the way to passing through customs at the airport here.

The last few times I've gone through the airport, I noticed that it has been covered over with a tarp. I mean I don't know what the deal is but I noticed it happened after 45.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Yeeeeah, I'm pretty much never visiting the US ever again, I'm pretty sure they'd send me straight to Gitmo just for my near unpronounceable name.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When I go to the embassy here in Bangkok, I have to look at his dumb smirking portrait (and Pence right next to him) staring down at me. Horrible douche chills.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
They like to rail that all opposition is communist while exercising communist style tactics.

The irony.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
For those saying he failed at his job...he writes for a movie magazine. Not much room to write about the shitty politics of a customs officer between the reviews for Angry Birds 2 and Crawl. He highlighted the issue on his social media account, not much else he can do other than giving interviews to those in the media that actually cover things like this.
As for posting the person's name and badge number publicly, that's just inviting all sorts of shit in this age of doxxing and harassment.
I do hope he at least puts a complaint in against the aggressive little shitbag, and I hope said shitbag gets fired for his intimidation tactics, but twitter isn't the place for those kinds of specifics.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
If you can't respect the First Amendment, then you don't deserve to work for the federal government.

I assume this chump swore an oath to uphold the Constitution, too.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
When I go to the embassy here in Bangkok, I have to look at his dumb smirking portrait (and Pence right next to him) staring down at me. Horrible douche chills.
I was at the US embassy in Ukraine and didn't notice a picture of Trump, thankfully. At least where I went. They probably had it somewhere else and I just didn't notice it.

Anyway, this story is sad. All the worst people have been emboldened to act like complete douche bags.

Apr 19, 2018
James is good people and this is fucked up

Yeah, Dyer is pretty awesome. I met him at SW Celebration in Chicago earlier this year.

What an unfortunate incident, but I don't blame him for pushing it further. He's since followed up that he wasn't physically detained or mistreated other than the fake news diatribe that he'd received, but it's still a worrying state of affairs that cases like this are becoming commonplace nowadays.

Vimes

Oct 25, 2017
This isn't even the first time I've heard about customs officers harassing journalists this way... at LAX.

CBP has also been pulling over journos and activists near the border and threatening them.

Even if you somehow ignore the human rights abuses, they are power tripping thugs.

Apr 19, 2018
I didn't catch the next follow-up until the Empire Podcast mentioned it today, but it looks like the incident was addressed by the CBP:

Newsweek said:
"Yes, the incident happened," CBP spokesperson Jaime Ruiz told Newsweek, referring to allegations made by Empire Magazine writer James Dyer, who said on Thursday that a CBP officer derided him as "fake news" and inquired about whether he worked for MSNBC or CNN, both frequent targets of President Donald Trump.

Ruiz said that the agency is "strongly advising Mr. Dyer to file a formal complaint so this matter is properly investigated and resolved." While Dyer did not express any desire to pursue the matter further—and CBP would not name the individual suspected of harassing Dyer—he did profess that the encounter disappointed him and tainted his perspective of the free press in America, something historically regarded as a robust and respected institution.

"It's hugely disheartening to see that this 'fake news' narrative that Trump has started has become so normalized that a customs official greeting visitors to the country is announcing it as fact," he said. "That and hostility toward press is a tool of autocratic regimes and not what you expect from the US. I don't recall ever having had any border issues in the past, here or anywhere else. I think the crux of why this surprised me so much is that it really shouldn't happen in America. It shows just how far the narrative of misinformation has taken root and that's very worrying."