• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vaco6121

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Near Rochester, MN
HH Sheikh Ahmed bin Saeed Al Maktoum, Chairman and Chief Executive of Emirates Group said: "The world has literally gone into quarantine due to the COVID-19 outbreak. This is an unprecedented crisis situation in terms of breadth and scale: geographically, as well as from a health, social, and economic standpoint. Until January 2020, the Emirates Group was doing well against our current financial year targets. But COVID-19 has brought all that to a sudden and painful halt over the past 6 weeks.

"As a global network airline, we find ourselves in a situation where we cannot viably operate passenger services until countries re-open their borders, and travel confidence returns. By Wednesday 25 March, although we will still operate cargo flights which remain busy, Emirates will have temporarily suspended all its passenger operations. We continue to watch the situation closely, and as soon as things allow, we will reinstate our services.

"Emirates Group has a strong balance sheet, and substantial cash liquidity, and we can, and will, with appropriate and timely action, survive through a prolonged period of reduced flight schedules, so that we are adequately prepared for the return to normality."

www.cnbc.com

Emirates Airline to temporarily suspend all passenger flights from March 25 as UAE halts all air travel

Major airlines are slashing services as demand screeches to a halt while people are urged to stay at home to slow the spread of the coronavirus.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Yep saw this on a social media feed.

My favorite international airlines - hopefully the world will go back to normal sooner rather than later so no one's jobs will be cut.

FeD

Oct 25, 2017
Expected and understandable.

On that note, I looked up to the sky today and seeing absolutely no contrails is kinda nuts for where I live. Kinda a nice sight to see.

Last edited:

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Oh lol, my bad. I'll fix it!
Unless that's what you meant
48AqsUo.png

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
It's the right decision. With countries closing borders to tourists and expats it is not logical to continue flying.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Walked back:

"We will operate passenger flights to UK, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Japan, Singapore, Australia, South Africa, South Korea, USA & Canada. "

Emirates Airline @emirates

Today we made the decision to temporarily suspend most passenger flights by 25 March 2020. SkyCargo operations will continue. This painful but pragmatic move will help Emirates Group preserve business viability and secure jobs worldwide, avoiding cuts. https://bit.ly/2xfHUo8 1/5

Having received requests from governments & customers to support repatriation of travellers, Emirates will continue to operate passenger and cargo flights to few countries until further notice, as long as borders remain open, and there is demand. https://bit.ly/2xfHUo8 2/5

We will operate passenger flights to UK, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Japan, Singapore, Australia, South Africa, South Korea, USA & Canada. The situation remains dynamic; travellers can check flight status online. https://bit.ly/2xfHUo8 3/5​

We deeply apologize to our customers for the travel disruptions and inconvenience caused. We are committed to minimize impact to our customers. Learn more:
https://bit.ly/39eSDfz 4/5

We will continue to watch the situation closely, and will reinstate our temporarily suspended passenger services, as soon as feasible. These are unprecedented times for the airline & travel industry, but we will get through it with your support. https://bit.ly/2xfHUo8 5/5

11:56 AM - Mar 22, 2020

OP
OP
Vaco6121

Vaco6121

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Near Rochester, MN
Walked back:

"We will operate passenger flights to UK, Switzerland, Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Philippines, Japan, Singapore, Australia, South Africa, South Korea, USA & Canada. "

United did the same thing announced all long haul International flights were cancelled then a day later announced their were walking back from that announcement. Wonder if the airlines are doing this to try and force their governments to do a bail out?

chrisypoo

Oct 27, 2017
And yet Alaska won't even refund my goddamn flight because they "don't currently consider COVID 19 a valid excuse for refunding non refundable flights." Man, fuck airlines, they're run by the scummiest, greediest mother fuckers, and I say that as someone whose step father retired from 34 years of working at an airline. Oh, and they've lowered his retirement payments multiple times with no explanation. The airline industry is one that's in need of huge reform.....hopefully that's a positive that comes out of this colossal mess, if we get any positives at all.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My spring break air miles redemption trip to Singapore got canceled first by Alaska then again by Alaska when they realized they'd only canceled half of it. Singapore Airlines whose flight it was never actually communicated any such thing even after the trip became impossible because of their 14 day quarantine.

I have a now VAST number of air miles that I may never get to use - Alaska is really great about stuff like that - if you're pregnant for example, they let you pause your mileage status for a year for free so that you can retain it even though you can't fly - but domestic carriers are going to be absolutely ravaged by this. I've no idea who'll survive and in what shape.

Boeing is already in deep shit.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
United did the same thing announced all long haul International flights were cancelled then a day later announced their were walking back from that announcement. Wonder if the airlines are doing this to try and force their governments to do a bail out?

Emirates and Etihad for that matter do not need a government bailout as they're owned by the respective royal families of Dubai and Abu Dhabi. This particular backtracking is mostly a political thing as it's specific to those countries listed and working with them to assist in repatriation. As for the others, there will be bailouts and nationalisation happening dependent on country. Alitalia for instance has already become nationalised.