• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MakgSnake

Dec 18, 2019
Canada
Unreal and amazing. LOVE this album. Em comes and saves HIP HOP. In my opinion of course.

Darkness is an excellent track. Plus that video...

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
God please take Eminem and give us Mac back. If Mac was alive em would be working at McDonald's

This is hilarious because there are so many memes made by his fans. And I refuse to believe they aren't being serious.

a37db0fc4ac390ec87fb93f1d82fd4c3.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
Illinois
I played the album for my food runner who is a huge trap rap kid and he says m+m has sucked for years and this is garbage and m+m shouldnt make music anymore.

I tend to agree.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Right, because throwing meaningless fodder based on their perception of a thread title is just so much better.

They might still think it's shitty. The point being not to throw everything into a "hate Em to hate Em" umbrella just because they think something of his is shitty.

Also, meaningless fodder? What does that even mean?

Vctor182

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Heard the album all the weekend and yeah, it is pretty good. Kamikaze took a a shot at mumble rappers and here he embarrass them combining trap beats with lyricism. As much as I like Darkness it feels out of place with the direction of the album.

There's a bit for everyone in this album, a couple of songs take you back to the past and if you cringed at them imagine if he stayed the same way. So I'm glad he moved on with the times, no f****t bars.

Here's a video were these guys breakdown Godzilla bar by bar, it's over 1 hour long. They do reaction videos to rap music and even if they do exaggerate their reactions they explain the bars really well.

Yes, Eminem is still relevant in 2020, get over it.

m23

Oct 25, 2017
Here's a video were these guys breakdown Godzilla bar by bar, it's over 1 hour long. They do reaction videos to rap music and even if they do exaggerate their reactions they explain the bars really well.

Yes, Eminem is still relevant in 2020, get over it.

Those guys are great, love their breakdowns.

I'm still waiting for Big Quint's reactions.

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think this album is fantastic. The critics will shit on it like they do on all Eminem stuff, but it's really good.

Mxlegend99

May 20, 2018
So far I like this album. I loved Kamikaze also. For now I rate it ahead of this one. But that may change after I've listened afew times.

Revival didn't have a single song I liked. So its great to see after he had such a terrible album he has turned it around.

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
A few more spins and it basically confirms what I initially came away with, which is to say this is the encapsulation of modern-day Em. 4-5 tracks too many, not a focused narrative or theme even though the marketing/artwork would suggest otherwise, and too many forced formulaic ideas which he's done better in the past.

The 2-3 love songs on each album are the most head-scratching to me. Like why? No matter what kind of Em fan you are or were, I have yet to come across anyone that says yeah man I listen to Eminem for his love songs about relationships gone wrong. This is especially worse post-Love The Way You Lie. That worked and he's been trying to recreate a hit like that since. Where is his editor here? Dre? Royce? Paul? Why doesn't someone step in and say yeah man that sucks?

Which, going back to the point about a lack of direction, brings me back to what is the aim of the albums he releases now? Is he going for mainstream commercial success? If its commercial success, then just feature every pop artist out right now and do endless tragic love songs and one of them will hit the mark like Love The Way You Lie.

But if the goal is to just make an album that just appeals to rap heads (which is what I wish he would do) then why include the Ed Sheeran tracks? the 2-3 tragic love songs that serve no purpose to the overall vibe of the album? Dre or someone he listens to should challenge him to make a 10 song album that focuses on a central theme. He has access, the respect off, and connects to work with anyone in the game. Any producer, any rap artists past or present, and even artists from other genres. Make rappity rap album I think he always wants to make. Get Nas on the album. Get Andre3k on it. Get Kendrick. Have a feature on every track. But really he doesn't know what he wants cause in the past during his peak he was able to balance both and do both. He was able to infuse enough of a pop sound, mix it with unforced humor, and still have heavier and personal songs. That perfect balance is not something he is capable of anymore. And as a huge fan of his from back when he came out you always hope out a little hope he will recapture it or realize he can't and focus more on what he can still do.

This album should have been fully political. You have a song about gun control. We know how he feels about Trump. Instead of one song like Darkness there should have been 4-5 songs with a theme/message. The rest should just be posse cuts with artists he loves and admires. And the oddest thing in the world is that Alchemist is his dj and the one time he actually raps over his production, its only a beat that I find terrible (Stepdad). Who chose that beat? its awful.

I usually enjoy skyler grey features but this one.... was aight.

Goes to show how different each song hits for everyone. I usually don't enjoy any of their tracks together, though I do think she is an ok singer on her own but this song hit the mark for me. The beat is forgettable but the chorus has a church sound that hit me just right. I played this song for my wife in the car and she reminded me of who it sounded like....Hozier. Speaking of him, he should have been on the chorus. It is his sound IMO completely. Would have been an awesome feature.

Anyway this is how I group the songs:

Really good/Liked A lot:

• Premonition
  • Unaccommodating
  • You Gon Learn - Royce bodies this track. I wish this was actually longer with a 3rd verse by Royce. The beat and him on it are perfect. Surprised to learn Royce produced this too
  • Darnkess - best track on the album and one of the better tracks he has made probably ever in his career. Wish the rest of the album was more like this.
  • Leaving Heaven - love the 3rd verse and like I said the hook/chorus/feel of the song works for me.
  • Yah Yah - love posse cuts esp when its unexpected guests. Black Thought absolutely destroys the songs. The beat is a little too loud IMO. Wish Qtip had a verse on this instead of Royce.
  • Marsh - liked the production a lot and Em carries it well enough. Could have used a guess verse
  • Lock It Up - really really liked this song but it kinda feels like it stops before it gets going. Great beat and hook and it needed a 3rd verse. Or a feature. For some reason I kept thinking Kendrick on this track would have fit perfectly.
  • I Will - Em is great on the chorus (another of his strengths I wish he would employ more). Really good for a posse cut. Of course, the SH guys did well in this setting as they always do.
  • No Regrets - not much to say. This is the Em I like. The Em he can still do well. Feels real and not forced. Production and hook work. Needed to be longer compared to the other songs which are too long.
  • Godzilla - don't care for the 3rd verse trying to outdo Rap God but the overall production and Em on it are good. Being able to rap that fast is impressive but really not appealing sonically. Wish instead of that 3rd verse he actually had Juice Wrld verse. Or anyone else. Love the beat.
Absolutely not needed and or awful
  • Little Engine - hate the chorus. Em forces things here. Still would take over the love songs though. What this songs does or tries to do, Marsh does better.
  • Stepdad - heavy subject matter he tries to deliver comically. Like he did with Brain Damage way back when but he completely fails here. The beat is awful and Em can't recreate that magic here. This needed a better beat and a more sincere serious tone.
  • Those Kinda Nights - Again trying to be funny but Em in 2020 can't do what he did in 2000. Back then this would be a highlight track with how he would be able to weave his entire skillset into a song like this.
  • In Too Deep - just awful. Why? Why on earth would anyone put this track on any album?
  • Never Love Again
  • Farewell - IF they had to include love songs, Never Love Again and Farewell would be my choice to keep as they aren't terrible but by the time you get to the 4th love/break up song it is just irritating beyond belief. Between these 4 tracks, there is more 1 good song with 3 strong verses.

So an album that could have been really good if he cuts out 6 songs and makes it shorter or instead of these 6 tracks/themes, he went with more posse cuts. He loves Redman. Why hasn't he worked with him since Off the Wall? All the old school OGs he mentions throughout the album? Why aren't they on the album? Or if you don't want to do that, make more personal songs. I disagree with ppl when they say Em needs to mature like Jay did on 4:44 cause, in reality, Em has always made heavy subject matter songs about his life, his wife, his mom, his kids, and social commentary. That Jay Z made an album like that, finally, is more of a reflection on him than other artists.

It is just that before with Em, his heavy material used to be wrapped with other off the wall unique sometimes funny sometimes dark material. He can't and shouldn't do the fun stuff anymore. And there is no shock value left. So stick with the personal songs. Still with the production style that never really went away and he can shine on. Sadly he won't and no one will tell him to do it.

Between Kamikazee, Revival, and this album I can put together a really good 10-12 track album but as with that album, there is no sense of direction. Sucks but then again most artists who peaked 20 yrs ago don't make their best at this stage of their careers. I've come to accept it and just enjoy the good songs in-between the fat he puts around them.

Last edited:

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
A few more spins and it basically confirms what I initially came away with, which is to say this is the encapsulation of modern-day Em. 4-5 tracks too many, not a focused narrative or theme even though the marketing/artwork would suggest otherwise, and too many forced formulaic ideas which he's done better in the past.

The 2-3 love songs on each album are the most head-scratching to me. Like why? No matter what kind of Em fan you are or were, I have yet to come across anyone that says yeah man I listen to Eminem for his love songs about relationships gone wrong. This is especially worse post-Love The Way You Lie. That worked and he's been trying to recreate a hit like that since. Where is his editor here? Dre? Royce? Paul? Why doesn't someone step in and say yeah man that sucks?

Which, going back to the point about a lack of direction, brings me back to what is the aim of the albums he releases now? Is he going for mainstream commercial success? If its commercial success, then just feature every pop artist out right now and do endless tragic love songs and one of them will hit the mark like Love The Way You Lie.

But if the goal is to just make an album that just appeals to rap heads (which is what I wish he would do) then why include the Ed Sheeran tracks? the 2-3 tragic love songs that serve no purpose to the overall vibe of the album? Dre or someone he listens to should challenge him to make a 10 song album that focuses on a central theme. He has access, the respect off, and connects to work with anyone in the game. Any producer, any rap artists past or present, and even artists from other genres. Make rappity rap album I think he always wants to make. Get Nas on the album. Get Andre3k on it. Get Kendrick. Have a feature on every track. But really he doesn't know what he wants cause in the past during his peak he was able to balance both and do both. He was able to infuse enough of a pop sound, mix it with unforced humor, and still have heavier and personal songs. That perfect balance is not something he is capable of anymore. And as a huge fan of his from back when he came out you always hope out a little hope he will recapture it or realize he can't and focus more on what he can still do.

This album should have been fully political. You have a song about gun control. We know how he feels about Trump. Instead of one song like Darkness there should have been 4-5 songs with a theme/message. The rest should just be posse cuts with artists he loves and admires. And the oddest thing in the world is that Alchemist is his dj and the one time he actually raps over his production, its only a beat that I find terrible (Stepdad). Who chose that beat? its awful.

Goes to show how different each song hits for everyone. I usually don't enjoy any of their tracks together, though I do think she is an ok singer on her own but this song hit the mark for me. The beat is forgettable but the chorus has a church sound that hit me just right. I played this song for my wife in the car and she reminded me of who it sounded like....Hozier. Speaking of him, he should have been on the chorus. It is his sound IMO completely. Would have been an awesome feature.

Really good/Liked A lot:

• Premonition
  • Unaccommodating
  • You Gon Learn - Royce bodies this track. I wish this was actually longer with a 3rd verse by Royce. The beat and him on it are perfect. Surprised to learn Royce produced this too
  • Darnkess - best track on the album and one of the better tracks he has made probably ever in his career. Wish the rest of the album was more like this.
  • Leaving Heaven - love the 3rd verse and like I said the hook/chorus/feel of the song works for me.
  • Yah Yah - love posse cuts esp when its unexpected guests. Black Thought absolutely destroys the songs. The beat is a little too loud IMO. Wish Qtip had a verse on this instead of Royce.
  • Marsh - liked the production a lot and Em carries it well enough. Could have used a guess verse
  • Lock It Up - really really liked this song but it kinda feels like it stops before it gets going. Great beat and hook and it needed a 3rd verse. Or a feature. For some reason I kept thinking Kendrick on this track would have fit perfectly.
  • I Will - Em is great on the chorus (another of his strengths I wish he would employ more). Really good for a posse cut. Of course, the SH guys did well in this setting as they always do.
  • No Regrets - not much to say. This is the Em I like. The Em he can still do well. Feels real and not forced. Production and hook work. Needed to be longer compared to the other songs which are too long.
  • Godzilla - don't care for the 3rd verse trying to outdo Rap God but the overall production and Em on it are good. Being able to rap that fast is impressive but really not appealing sonically. Wish instead of that 3rd verse he actually had Juice Wrld verse. Or anyone else. Love the beat.
  • Little Engine - hate the chorus. Em forces things here. Still would take over the love songs though. What this songs does or tries to do, Marsh does better.
  • Stepdad - heavy subject matter he tries to deliver comically. Like he did with Brain Damage way back when but he completely fails here. The beat is awful and Em can't recreate that magic here. This needed a better beat and a more sincere serious tone.
  • Those Kinda Nights - Again trying to be funny but Em in 2020 can't do what he did in 2000. Back then this would be a highlight track with how he would be able to weave his entire skillset into a song like this.
  • In Too Deep - just awful. Why? Why on earth would anyone put this track on any album?
  • Never Love Again
  • Farewell - IF they had to include love songs, Never Love Again and Farewell would be my choice to keep as they aren't terrible but by the time you get to the 4th love/break up song it is just irritating beyond belief. Between these 4 tracks, there is more 1 good song with 3 strong verses.

So an album that could have been really good if he cuts out 6 songs and makes it shorter or instead of these 6 tracks/themes, he went with more posse cuts. He loves Redman. Why hasn't he worked with him since Off the Wall? All the old school OGs he mentions throughout the album? Why aren't they on the album? Or if you don't want to do that, make more personal songs. I disagree with ppl when they say Em needs to mature like Jay did on 4:44 cause, in reality, Em has always made heavy subject matter songs about his life, his wife, his mom, his kids, and social commentary. That Jay Z made an album like that, finally, is more of a reflection on him than other artists.

It is just that before with Em, his heavy material used to be wrapped with other off the wall unique sometimes funny sometimes dark material. He can't and shouldn't do the fun stuff anymore. And there is no shock value left. So stick with the personal songs. Still with the production style that never really went away and he can shine on. Sadly he won't and no one will tell him to do it.

Between Kamikazee, Revival, and this album I can put together a really good 10-12 track album but as with that album, there is no sense of direction. Sucks but then again most artists who peaked 20 yrs ago don't make their best at this stage of their careers. I've come to accept it and just enjoy the good songs in-between the fat he puts around them.

I don't think Em has any interest in sticking to a narrative or theme. I think he just want to flex his technical skill, and the mixtape-ish format is allows him to do just that over a wide sampling of styles and subjects.

I strongly disagree with the notion he needs more features.

I'm with you on the love songs EXCEPT "Never love again" isn't a love song it's a prescription pill addiction song framed as love song. Its very well executed by em, even though it isnt a very original concept.

Last edited:

effzee

Oct 26, 2017
NJ
I don't think Em has any interest in sticking to a narrative or theme. I think he just want to flex his technical skill, and the mixtape-ish format is allows him to do just that over a wide sampling of styles and subjects.

I strongly disagree with the notion he needs more features.

I'm with you on the love songs EXCEPT "Never love again" isn't a love song it's a prescription pill addiction song framed as love song. Its very well executed by em, even though it isnt a very original concept.

I'm cool with him flexing his technical ability but that's what songs like GodZilla, Unaccomodating, Marsh, and some others serve. It's the love songs which take it completely off track.

And yeah my bad "Never Love Again" shouldn't have been grouped in with the love songs.

When I say he needs more features, I meant in place of the love songs. Posse cuts and work with artists he hasn't yet but respects. I'm shocked we don't have 1 Nas and Em collab by now.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia

Really good/Liked A lot:

• Premonition
  • Unaccommodating
  • Never Love Again

Generally agree except I actually love Stepdad's beat and overall production, it's the only reason it's still in my rotation and I like Never Love Again, contrasting addiction and a dysfunctional relationship is not a new concept but I think Em does it well here. My favourite song on the album is probably Leaving Heaven (this song speaks to me and I personally like the production and chorus) or Lock It Up though I agree it needed another verse or feature.

On another note, Melon's review dropped for those who like his stuff -

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
Oh what a nice surprise. Just started listening. About half way through. Enjoying it so far and look forward to repeat listens.

Last edited:

Odrion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's about 40 minutes worth of pretty good stuff here, which is a normal not-Eminem album's worth of music. So hey 7/10 from me. unlike him on the first track, I can't complain lol.

Last edited:

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I expected to loathe the Sheeran track, but I actually didn't mind it.

His female/male ballad tracks have got to go, though. Bring back Dinah Rae. (The girl he worked with on his older albums, notably Superman's hook vocalist.)

I surprisingly liked the modern-sounding rap tracks a lot, it's his attempts to emulate his old sound that fall flat.

Ultra

Oct 30, 2017
I was the
G, the O-A-T
Once I was played in rotation
At every radio station
They said I'm lyrically amazing

Reckon that's intentional? lol

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The arianna grande concert bit hit too close for me, other than that I didn't find much to hate on the first listen, I need a second listen to take everything in.

The Artisan

"Angels are singing in monasteries..."
Oct 27, 2017
Generally agree except I actually love Stepdad's beat and overall production, it's the only reason it's still in my rotation and I like Never Love Again, contrasting addiction and a dysfunctional relationship is not a new concept but I think Em does it well here. My favourite song on the album is probably Leaving Heaven (this song speaks to me and I personally like the production and chorus) or Lock It Up though I agree it needed another verse or feature.

On another note, Melon's review dropped for those who like his stuff -

I like Shawn Cee's reviews

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
I kinda went hard on this the night it was out

But honestly this grew like fuck on me, it's still Em being Em so if you didn't like him before he won't gain new fans

I feel this is best replay value since a long time, I haven't read through the thread yet, but seems to be getting heavily praised on HHH and Music on Reddit

I know reviews are kinda average I can see why, he's not reinventing the wheel

Still has some Corrny shit and couple of songs ruined by cringey hooks like Steodad and farewell.
But this feels like an actual album with mostly good production and replay value something Kamikaze was definitely missing and I won't talk on Revival

Right time to read through this thread haha if I wasn't a fan at first Jesus this going to be a ride

Edit: Just read the thread started off how I expected people liking darkness but hating the album

But as you notice later in the thread it gets a lot more positive for people like who it grew on

First album he avoided homophobic slurs not implying you should ever be praised for that

Calls his Dad a cocksucker which I guess you could make an argument is, but it obviously wasn't intended to be homophobic

Last edited:

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
After a couple of solid listens, I am enjoying the album quite a bit. The only tracks I have hated were stepdad and farewell.

Darkness is some real ass shit and extremely well produced imo. Kinda scared to even watch the video...

Jan 10, 2018
Getting around on it. Not high on the beats of alot of the tracks, but nothing to run away from. Yah Yah has gold verses, the chorus is sweet, but man that beat could live without that constant buzzing