• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Idk but posting in any Em thread is a bad idea unless you're prepared to deal with an extremely " u mad bro? Fuk the h8trs" defense force. It's very... interesting , I'll leave it at that
I just literally want to know. There are plenty of other people who have said things significantly less bad than Eminem who are not allowed to be promoted in any way on this forum. Why is he an exception?

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I just literally want to know. There are plenty of other people who have said things significantly less bad than Eminem who are not allowed to be promoted in any way on this forum. Why is he an exception?
I for one don't really keep up with what artists say. Has he said any of these things outside his lyrics/promoted them in interviews and such?

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Here's a half a verse from Get You Mad, color coded for multis.

What a wonderful day, I should go outside and play
Ain't no need to sit inside the house and hibernate
Hi, Renée
I was just about to toss a live grenade
In your driveway and drive away
Are you afraid of a blade made of a razor with AIDS?
Blood drippin' from it
Rippin' your stomach like a paperché
You talk a lot of shit, but you was never ill, though
I'm sick enough to beat you to death with a feather pillow

You don't get that type of intricate rhyming from Em these days outside a few bright spots but almost all of SSLP was like this.

Uhhhhh, he's way past this level of multis now. Like way past. I guess they seemed more evident and obvious back then because he would sound them out more. But he's basically rhyming entire sentences and phrases, it's just so overloaded it doesn't even resonate anymore.

Someone already posted an example after your post and the whole thing is lit up. The last slow cadence he did was Killshot, and even starting out the song it's a 5 syllable pattern:

hit me on a text
hick-eys on her neck
diss me I'm per-plexed
compli---ment me on the next

then a 3 syllable multi:

heart attack
norditrack
autograph
starter cap

The thing is Eminem is absolutely obsessed with multi-syllable rhyming to the point that it actually hurts his content since he'll say really stupid stuff just to fit a rhyme pattern. So it's weird to say he doesn't do it anymore when that's probably the only thing that has focused on delivering more of over the years.

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
Reminder you can be irrelevant and still be commercially successful. A marginal amount of artists in modern music and picking up what Eminem's stuck-in-2001's ass is putting down.

burnsy

Banned
May 31, 2018
Excellent talent. I just wish Eminem would focus on better music rather than focus on his technical skills in most 8f his songs. His latest album is an awesome accomplishment though

Village

Oct 25, 2017
consecutive

What? I don't hate Em as much as some of ya'll do but like... I don't think he has put concecutively good albums out in years...like a long while. Did I miss something.

I mean this new one actually pretty good , its just like... how do you explain so much of his material past the eminem show? I guess folks really liked stadium rap em?

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
This only reinforces my (baseless) opinion that Eminem is the greatest rapper who ever lived.
This is the exact reason people say Eminem is overrated haha

If everybody stopped calling him the best maybe he wouldn't be shat on as much

He's def top 5 lyricist not sure if top 5 rapper though

But many agree this is up there as one of his best albums, not Eminem Show though

I also understand why a lot here don't like him because of his use of homophobic not apologising for him but unfortunately that was a norm in HipHop at the time thank god it's not anymore

I'm confident he's not actually homophobic, he even took shots at Trump banning transgender from the military

Wouldn't be Suprised to see an apology song to the LGBT community down the line known him

Doesn't excuse what he said though, it's why a lot the MMLP is unlistenable to me anymore

As for the women hate well.... I don't see that stopping anytime soon

Last edited:

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
This is from 3 different songs in 2017 & 2018:

zjbwbyw6vi911.png

mzTt5Qi.png

TrW3FTO.png

I guess you could argue that those are just the "bright spots" you mentioned but if you release these bright spots sometimes multiple times a year then I don't really feel like one has much room to argue :P I'd wish people would stop trying to project a loss of talent onto Eminem when they simply don't realize that over the years their taste changed and that they are now into different things than they were at 16. Eminem bars can be just as amazing as they ever were these days.

I disagree, as I said the SSLP was filled front to back with things like this. I picked a single song that wasn't on any album but I could post the whole album for this. My taste didn't change, Em just started doing a lot more simplistic rhyming and Dad joke bars that are cringy and became more punchline heavy. Let's look at half a verse from a song on each of his last 3 albums that still have multis but more simplistic and with cringy bars.

Stepfather from Music to Be Murdered By

And put him down like they did to my dog
I'm talkin' euthanasia (Euthanasia), like kids in Taiwan
This fuckin' shit's like Saigon (Saigon)
Neighbors called police on him
So many battery charges, this dude's like lithium-ion
Then Mom and him let bygones (Bygones)
Just be bygones
So on eggshells, I walk and just try not to piss this guy off

The Ringer from Kamikaze (a song I really like)

But my beef is more media journalists
(Hold up, hold up, hold up)
I said, my beef is more meaty, a journalist
Can get a mouthful of flesh
And yes, I mean eating a penis
'Cause they've been pannin' my album to death
So I've been givin' the media fingers
Don't wanna turn this to a counseling sesh
But they've been puttin' me through the ringer
So I ain't ironin' shit out with the press
But I just took this beat to the cleaners

Chloraseptic from Revival

Instinctive nature to bring the anguish (Yeah)
To the English language
With this ink, you haters get rode on like a piece of paper
This rap shit got me travelin' place to place
You barely leave your house
'Cause you're always stuck at your pad, it's stationary
Yeah, that's why when I brainstorm, gotta write it out
Simon Cowell of rhymin' foul, that's why you sound so shook
Wire bound notebook got tied around your throat
Hook it inside your mouth, go—hruh

For every one "Nice Guy", a song I find ridiculous with wordplay I get 3 "Marsh". His beat selection, hooks, and multis have all declined despite, as I said before, bright spots. Even Revival, an album I hate and feel is his worst project to date, had outstanding multis and wordplay in a song like Framed. It's just too few and far between as even his songs I really like have bars that made me roll my eyes like Bad Guy off MMLP2 "I reached my full potential, I peeked". Childish Gambino changed his entire style, I was along for the ride the whole time so it's not about me changing but what I percieve as a decline for an artist who's first 3 albums I maybe have 4 songs in total I skip whereas now I find myself skipping half the album at times.

Uhhhhh, he's way past this level of multis now. Like way past. I guess they seemed more evident and obvious back then because he would sound them out more. But he's basically rhyming entire sentences and phrases, it's just so overloaded it doesn't even resonate anymore.

Someone already posted an example after your post and the whole thing is lit up. The last slow cadence he did was Killshot, and even starting out the song it's a 5 syllable pattern:

hit me on a text
hick-eys on her neck
diss me I'm per-plexed
compli---ment me on the next

then a 3 syllable multi:

heart attack
norditrack
autograph
starter cap

The thing is Eminem is absolutely obsessed with multi-syllable rhyming to the point that it actually hurts his content since he'll say really stupid stuff just to fit a rhyme pattern. So it's weird to say he doesn't do it anymore when that's probably the only thing that has focused on delivering more of over the years.

But that's the problem, he used to do that effortlessly and now he struggles to the point of it sounding off/bad/weird with some bad punchlines thrown in on top of it. It's like when Jordan played for the Wizards, you still saw flashes of Jordan but he was way over the hill and you could see it game to game as opposed to highlights.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017

Growing up as a fan of hip hop/rap its undeniable what talent he has let alone the connection he has to some of the greatest artists before him and aside from him.
Dr. Dre, snoop, Jay Z and many others would and have all said what amazing talent Eminem has.
Now of course people here on Era have their set agenda to say whatever negative thing they want but it doesnt really matter, look at the thread title, the stats speak for themselves.

I got to see him in concert a few times along with D12. Always a big hit.

Compbros

Oct 30, 2017
Growing up as a fan of hip hop/rap its undeniable what talent he has let alone the connection he has to some of the greatest artists before him and aside from him.
Dr. Dre, snoop, Jay Z and many others would and have all said what amazing talent Eminem has.
Now of course people here on Era have their set agenda to say whatever negative thing they want but it doesnt really matter, look at the thread title, the stats speak for themselves.

I got to see him in concert a few times along with D12. Always a big hit.

Why are you conflating talent and sales? The "stats" only say he's the most popular rapper of all time. Drake has the most number 1 hits for a solo male artist. That speaks nothing to his talent. Rappers with subpar skills release number 1 albums. Em is most certainly talented, despite how I feel about his music making ability these days.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Why are you conflating talent and sales? The "stats" only say he's the most popular rapper of all time. Drake has the most number 1 hits for a solo male artist. That speaks nothing to his talent. Rappers with subpar skills release number 1 albums. Em is most certainly talented, despite how I feel about his music making ability these days.

You're right and I agree with you on the example you mentioned. I mean more of the over all long term of EMS career. Yeah he had a rough patch before the last album but hes still hitting big.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017

I think this just goes back to how you approach problematic media of any kind. I'm of the opinion that it's OK to like problematic things - as long as you are aware of their problems, that you engage with it and don't try to shut down the conversation if others put a spotlight on these problems.

Eminem is such a case for me. Especially his older texts are full of hateful, homophobic, transphobic lyrics, often fantasizing about hurting and murdering women in the most gruesome ways. I think where many people already diverge in approaching music is how they interpret the lyrics of an artist. Is everything Eminem raps as part of his music equal to him saying it as Marshall Mathers in an interview? Or is the role of a musician at points more similar to an actor playing a specific role or a screenwriter putting hate speech in the mouth of their characters? I think an argument can be made for both cases and that it not only differs from artist to artist but even from album to album and song to song.

In the case of Eminem it gets more complex as he has openly apologized for his use of the word "f....t" (an apology where he seems to have a pretty good grasp on why the use of the word is so toxic, I think) and has openly stated that he has not only no problem with gay and transgender people but also that he's glad that " we live in a time where it's really starting to feel like people can live their lives and express themselves."

None of this is supposed to mean that the criticism for his use of these words is invalid or unfounded. I do think that Mathers does not want gay or trans people to get harmed or their rights taken away in any way - his explicit campaigning for Democrats and attacks on Trump feed into that notion for me, too, even though Dems can obviously still be homophobic, transphobic etc.

It all comes down to if you personally think that people should still enjoy problematic media and where that cut-off point is. I personally decided not to play a game called "A Hat in Time" even though it looked really fun because it had the cameo of a straight-up white supremacist Youtuber in it - and the devs decided to leave it in after he came out as one. For me, it became impossible to enjoy the game from then on, simply by knowing that this person had any part in the creation of the game and that the devs didn't think it was substantial enough to remove him. I will not watch a movie made by Woody Allen because they make me kinda sick. I won't ever play Ion Fury. But I do still listen to Michael Jackson. I re-listen the Podcast by Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant & Karl Pilkington. I watch movies starring Scarlett Johansson or Kevin Hart.

So I absolutely get it and wouldn't ever be surprised by someone stating they can't listen to Eminem for these reasons. But I do think it's still possible to discuss and consume this kind of media while also being aware of and engaging with their problematic nature.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
It's always funny how some people mistake Slim Shady and the actual real person. Every controversial thing he ever said was in lyrics, the actual person is actually very left leaning AND making actual actions that resonate with this. But to some, the fictional Shady personna and the stupid shit he says in lyrics to be provocative is realer than Marshall Matters and everyhting he said and did in real life outside of his lyrics. Shrug.

"I sell 4 Mills when I put out a bad album" ^^

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
His latest album is one of his better ones, but still doesn't inspire me to listen to it more than once.

Glad he's finally switched up his beats, tho.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
No one can deny the monstrous impact of his lips and fast words he SPITS on the mic. He has co signs from everyone like your local firefighter to the local meth crowd hanging in front of your local Wawa in shimmersville Pa. He rapped with Elton so he loves gay people and his sound is totally influenctial and is everywhere these days. Guys like Kendrick and HYRF totally ripped his sound.

He is the only rappist (a title he has earned) worthy of being color coded in forum posts. He also hates mumble rappers and would FUCKING CRUSH them in a hip hop rap battle on the mics.

He's a real one and a great romodel and the streets love him as well and the mall aisle hot topic types.

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
Not a fan of his recent album?

best post hiatus

In terms of technical stuff I imagine sticking to his old ways of Multics without changing would be boring af

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Yoooo

Trust me I hated it first listen it's def a grower give it 1-2 more listens and ignore the dumb tracks like Stepdad and farewell and I bet you will enjoy it better
Co-signed, first full listen I was like "okay this is on the right path" but that's it, a few more full listens after it definitely grew on me, very solid album. After Kamikaze it's really on the right track, that's 2 goodies out of the last 3 :)

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
Co-signed, first full listen I was like "okay this is on the right path" but that's it, a few more full listens after it definitely grew on me, very solid album. After Kamikaze it's really on the right track, that's 2 goodies out of the last 3 :)
Yeah exactly
Although I feel this has more an album feel than kamikaze, Kamikaze was more a response to the (Deservingly) Revival hate since everybody at the time shit on it

This one feels content based and actually has replay value since fucking Relapse he finally has good production and hooks, outside of 2-3 stinkers

Salty_Josh

Oct 28, 2017
This is from 3 different songs in 2017 & 2018:

zjbwbyw6vi911.png

mzTt5Qi.png

TrW3FTO.png

I guess you could argue that those are just the "bright spots" you mentioned but if you release these bright spots sometimes multiple times a year then I don't really feel like one has much room to argue :P I'd wish people would stop trying to project a loss of talent onto Eminem when they simply don't realize that over the years their taste changed and that they are now into different things than they were at 16. Eminem bars can be just as amazing as they ever were these days.
Those are all corny af

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah exactly
Although I feel this has more an album feel than kamikaze, Kamikaze was more a response to the (Deservingly) Revival hate since everybody at the time shit on it

This one feels content based and actually has replay value since fucking Relapse he finally has good production and hooks, outside of 2-3 stinkers
Yep, I already listened to MTGMB more times than Kamikaze lol, and I like Kamikaze :)

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
YO FAV CUD NEVA HO!

But seriously, that is a staggering achievement. I was a huge, HUGE Em fan back in my high school days but not so much anymore. Nonetheless, he's still a great artist; I just haven't been feeling the stuff he has released recently. Still, it's a well deserved achievement.

n00bs7ay3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
It's always funny how some people mistake Slim Shady and the actual real person. Every controversial thing he ever said was in lyrics, the actual person is actually very left leaning AND making actual actions that resonate with this. But to some, the fictional Shady persona and the stupid shit he says in lyrics to be provocative is realer than Marshall Matters and everyhting he said and did in real life outside of his lyrics. Shrug.

"I sell 4 Mills when I put out a bad album" ^^

Saying homophobic, transphobic, misogynistic, etc. things and then hiding behind the excuse that it is ok but "lol its just a character that is meant to be provocative" is bullshit. It was ok for him to call Tyler the Creator a faggot in 2018 because it was a song lyrics and not an interview?

I was willing to forgive some of his stuff early in his career because he was a white person trying to make it in a traditionally black medium at a time when white rappers were pretty widely mocked. It still sucked but I get that by being controversial he was able to snowball that into attention that led to success. But that was over 20 years ago, the world has changed, and he no longer needs that gimmick to be successful. The fact that he is now in his 40s and is still doing that is embarrassing and has long since crossed over into the realm of actual hate speech. The problem is further exacerbated by the fact that there are plenty of people who are actually homophobic, misogynistic, and transphobic that don't treat his lyrics as a joke.

He is perfectly capable of making songs that are more mature and aren't filled with hate speech for the sake of being controversial. I was pretty happy when he released "Like Home". It is a very clear anti-Trump song (though even in that song he tries to lessen its impact by saying 'you don't have to agree with me') and he made a hard political stance. Unfortunately he caught backlash from his right-wing fans and completely walked back the message of that song in another song.

In 2020 Eminem's music is not acceptable content and largely should not be supported on ERA.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Eminem feels like such a relic, but he could release an album of farts and it would hit #1.

Noog

▲ Legend ▲
May 1, 2018
I think because the views he currently holds are all good. He's very anti-trump, in favor of gun control, pro-lgbt rights. He apologizes when he makes a mistake and begins to better himself. To me that makes him much better than someone who said something "less bad" but died on that hill

Aug 2, 2018
It takes a true master to be one of the biggest artists in the game while simultaneously being a washed up, irrelevant underdog.
Hold on a sec I'll reply but this goal post I'm moving sure is heavy!

* *mumbles quietly while dragging goal post further out** ... mainstream doesn't count ....ugh, but not in the streets......weird beard...

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Saying homophobic, transphobic, misogynistic, etc. things and then hiding behind the excuse that it is ok but "lol its just a character that is meant to be provocative" is bullshit. It was ok for him to call Tyler the Creator a faggot in 2018 because it was a song lyrics and not an interview?

I was willing to forgive some of his stuff early in his career because he was a white person trying to make it in a traditionally black medium at a time when white rappers were pretty widely mocked. It still sucked but I get that by being controversial he was able to snowball that into attention that led to success. But that was over 20 years ago, the world has changed, and he no longer needs that gimmick to be successful. The fact that he is now in his 40s and is still doing that is embarrassing and has long since crossed over into the realm of actual hate speech. The problem is further exacerbated by the fact that there are plenty of people who are actually homophobic, misogynistic, and transphobic that don't treat his lyrics as a joke.

He is perfectly capable of making songs that are more mature and aren't filled with hate speech for the sake of being controversial. I was pretty happy when he released "Like Home". It is a very clear anti-Trump song (though even in that song he tries to lessen its impact by saying 'you don't have to agree with me') and he made a hard political stance. Unfortunately he caught backlash from his right-wing fans and completely walked back the message of that song in another song.

In 2020 Eminem's music is not acceptable content and largely should not be supported on ERA.
Fair enough, I just think it's easier in this particular case in the sense that the actual person behind the persona actually is on the total opposite side in his vision of pretty much everything. But I know this is a very subjective point I'm making, and I can totally understand how someone would not want the shit said by the fictive character Slim Shady to be said at all. I was just talking about conflating the very leftist Marshall Matters with his fictional rap persona Slim Shady, but again just my 2 cents :)

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
How the hell you can be irrelevant and succeeful? Do you what irrelevant mean? Read the dictionary

Because if you're not influencing and a source of artistic inspiration to the here and now and those that follow you're irrelevant. Eminem sells records to an audience that's tastes haven't changed and already expect to buy the record. No one is saying: 'fuck I love the cutting edge stuff Eminem is doing on this record he's really reaching new ground I need to incorporate this in my music'

See the Rolling Stones.
In 60s/70s: Successful and creates a catalogue of music that would shape rock to come even today. Regarded by fans and press alike.
80s - present: Still successful, sells out concert tours and greatest hits albums, but all new music is utterly irrelevant. No one cares and no new audiences are bought in.
Eminem is firmly the later in this analogy.

Oh and to answer your smartass quip:

Macmillan defines irrelevant as:
'not important or not relevant to what you are discussing or doing'

So tell me, how is Eminem's music relevant to what new music people is creating today? Who is putting out a record and in the press kit saying 'yeah Eminem's new one really influenced the sound on this one'

He's irrelevant. He's not important to anything music is discussing or doing. But you can still sell records to an existing audience.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
He's irrelevant. He's not important to anything music is discussing or doing. But you can still sell records to an existing audience.
I mean, there's plenty of current generation rappers who cite his work as an inspiration.

By the definition you're using tho Lil Peep probably has more relevance than Nas, Jay and Em combined.

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jay-Z`s last 11 albums have been #1.
And what is even the tenth album they're referring to? I only see 9.

Last edited:

pennanton

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, there's plenty of current generation rappers who cite his work as an inspiration. .

It's very easy to namedrop. I hear little hip hop or broader music at the moment that has discernible influence from Eminem in its flows, lyrical style or sonically in its production. When his music hasn't already sounded dated he's forced to conform to pop trends others have set.

By the definition you're using tho Lil Peep probably has more relevance than Nas, Jay and Em combined.

That's not untrue though. Mumble rap or whatever you want to label it as is in the zeitgeist, it's the here and now. It's absolutely relevant.

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Oct 25, 2017
Music To Be Murdered By is his first decent album in over a decade and the first one I've bothered to listen to more than once since probably Encore. Even then around half the tracks are filler and that's being generous.

I feel like he's coasted off his early success for the majority of his #1 run and some of those records had no business going #1 or selling a million plus, but it's still an impressive feat nonetheless.