• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.newyorker.com/culture/p...y-life-brain-aneurysm-surgery-game-of-thrones

This article is crazy. Reading these details and how close she came to dying both times is terrifying. Some excerpts:

The diagnosis was quick and ominous: a subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH), a life-threatening type of stroke, caused by bleeding into the space surrounding the brain. I'd had an aneurysm, an arterial rupture. As I later learned, about a third of SAH patients die immediately or soon thereafter. For the patients who do survive, urgent treatment is required to seal off the aneurysm, as there is a very high risk of a second, often fatal bleed. If I was to live and avoid terrible deficits, I would have to have urgent surgery. And, even then, there were no guarantees.

That first surgery was what is known as "minimally invasive," meaning that they did not open up my skull. Rather, using a technique called endovascular coiling, the surgeon introduced a wire into one of the femoral arteries, in the groin; the wire made its way north, around the heart, and to the brain, where they sealed off the aneurysm.

The operation lasted three hours. When I woke, the pain was unbearable. I had no idea where I was. My field of vision was constricted. There was a tube down my throat and I was parched and nauseated. They moved me out of the I.C.U. after four days and told me that the great hurdle was to make it to the two-week mark. If I made it that long with minimal complications, my chances of a good recovery were high.

One night, after I'd passed that crucial mark, a nurse woke me and, as part of a series of cognitive exercises, she said, "What's your name?" My full name is Emilia Isobel Euphemia Rose Clarke. But now I couldn't remember it. Instead, nonsense words tumbled out of my mouth and I went into a blind panic. I'd never experienced fear like that—a sense of doom closing in. I could see my life ahead, and it wasn't worth living. I am an actor; I need to remember my lines. Now I couldn't recall my name.

I was suffering from a condition called aphasia, a consequence of the trauma my brain had suffered. Even as I was muttering nonsense, my mum did me the great kindness of ignoring it and trying to convince me that I was perfectly lucid. But I knew I was faltering. In my worst moments, I wanted to pull the plug. I asked the medical staff to let me die. My job—my entire dream of what my life would be—centered on language, on communication. Without that, I was lost.

While I was still in New York for the play, with five days left on my SAG insurance, I went in for a brain scan—something I now had to do regularly. The growth on the other side of my brain had doubled in size, and the doctor said we should "take care of it." I was promised a relatively simple operation, easier than last time. Not long after, I found myself in a fancy-pants private room at a Manhattan hospital. My parents were there. "See you in two hours," my mum said, and off I went for surgery, another trip up the femoral artery to my brain. No problem.

Except there was. When they woke me, I was screaming in pain. The procedure had failed. I had a massive bleed and the doctors made it plain that my chances of surviving were precarious if they didn't operate again. This time they needed to access my brain in the old-fashioned way—through my skull. And the operation had to happen immediately.

The recovery was even more painful than it had been after the first surgery. I looked as though I had been through a war more gruesome than any that Daenerys experienced. I emerged from the operation with a drain coming out of my head. Bits of my skull had been replaced by titanium. These days, you can't see the scar that curves from my scalp to my ear, but I didn't know at first that it wouldn't be visible. And there was, above all, the constant worry about cognitive or sensory losses. Would it be concentration? Memory? Peripheral vision? Now I tell people that what it robbed me of is good taste in men. But, of course, none of this seemed remotely funny at the time.

I spent a month in the hospital again and, at certain points, I lost all hope. I couldn't look anyone in the eye. There was terrible anxiety, panic attacks. I was raised never to say, "It's not fair"; I was taught to remember that there is always someone who is worse off than you. But, going through this experience for the second time, all hope receded. I felt like a shell of myself. So much so that I now have a hard time remembering those dark days in much detail. My mind has blocked them out. But I do remember being convinced that I wasn't going to live.

The article also goes into detail about her childhood, her fear of not being able to remember her lines if she suffered brain damage, why she feels lucky and grateful, and how she is helping a charity for people who have suffered from brain injuries.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Inappropriate commentary in sensitive threads, previous warning for the same behavior
i think i had one of those during season 7.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Good god, that all sounds horrific. I can't even imagine that kind of dread, knowing that even if you survive, you might be a shell of your former self.

May 26, 2018
Jesus... poor Emilia

Just based on those descriptions it's like... I wanna give her a hug man

I wonder how many people go through shit like that every year

Starphanluke

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 15, 2017
Wow, I can't imagine. I'm so glad she's still with us. I really love her work in GoT and in Solo. I know some aren't fond of her acting, but I think she really shines in the right role. And she's such a wonderful, bubbly personality.

Stop. You're not funny.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
Oh Emilia..!! Never knew she had to go through survivng an aneurysm and the aphasia after effects. I don't keep up with her but had she taken a brief sabbatical from acting at those periods..??

Will save this read for a later point..!

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
glad she came through.

glad she still can control her eyebrows to her fans delight

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did some math. She was on Breakfasts at Tiffany's until April 2013, and given her timeline she got her brain surgery in April and must have spent until the end of May 2013 in the hospital thinking she was gonna die or not be able to remember any lines. Season 4 of Game of Thrones started filming in July 2013. How scary must it be knowing you are in the hospital with only a month or so left to recover to go back to the biggest role of your career.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
Not simply an incredible thing to survive and recover from... but that it was kept pretty much under wraps all this time. That's some sound security.

Sweeney Swift

User Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
#IStandWithTaylor
I'm so glad she's alright and recovered, I'm so happy to see her sharing her story publicly and promoting the charity, and I'm so looking forward to what she does next

To that hateful asshole in the thread whose posts I'll never see again, may you never go through something like she had to

sora87

Oct 27, 2017
Shit man, that's horrible. She always seems so upbeat and happy, love it when she's on the graham norton show.

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
Incredible that she was able to survive that (and also incredible that they were able to keep that from leaking - wow). Hope she stays healthy and well.

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is funny but inappropriate. edit it out or you will getting quoted for the next 2 days. i bet some folks have already reported you.

As for Emilia, what a brave woman. i wish her the best of luck. The guy who plays Gendry was in a UK tv show called Skins and he had a history of brain anerysms in the show. crazy.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
What a champion to fight through what I can only imagine must have been one of the scariest medical episodes to live through. Glad you're still with us.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus. I'm glad she's alright. What a horrifying experience she had to go through, and TWICE at that.

I have so much respect for her for getting through it and staying positive. I don't think I would've survived if I were in her shoes.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Didn't expect to be greeted with a piece of trash joking about aneurysms in this thread.

Jesus Christ.

Anyway, that's frightening. Glad to hear she survived.

Rassilon

Oct 27, 2017
UK
tenor.gif

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
The shitty part of all of this is that she is young healthy lady. Some times my youth makes me feel invincible, but this could happen to any of us. So terrifying and doesn't help with my anxiety.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Man that sounds awful, was all of this kept secret until now? I don't remember hearing about it.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strokes are scary af. Are they genetic?

Glad she is ok.

Viewt

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
The scariest thing about aneurisms is that they're so swift and so random. My fiancée's boss is a relatively young health nut and he got laid out with one of these recently. He was having some bad migraines and went to the doctor only to be rushed into full on invasive brain surgery that same day. Now he has to stay in dark rooms or the pain is too much to handle - the timeline on when he'll be cleared to resume regular work is a giant question mark.

What a nightmare.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
holy shit one aneurysm is scary enough and it can end your life regardless of how healthy you are. wth....and she beat two?!