• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Looking back at this article just seems all the more ironic in retrospect considering today's press releases by Embracer Group.

www.polygon.com

Nordic Games acquires THQ's Darksiders, Red Faction and more in $4.9M bid

Nordic Games acquired "substantially all" of THQ's remaining intellectual property, including titles in the Darksiders, Red Faction and MX series, pending court approval, as part of a $4.9 million...
I find this also quite funny:
Earlier today, Gearbox Software announced it had submitted the highest bid for the Homeworld franchise. Court documents reveal the property was purchased in a $1.35 million bid. Gearbox beat out Aspyr Media for the sci-fi strategy game series.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
dodged a bullet there tbqh
Why? Are the skeletons in Pitchford's closet that are about to come out soon? As much as I dont like the guy, BL is a banger IP that MS would love to get, especially as their DLC model might do well in a GP environment.

Or that BL wont be exclusive to MS?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why? Are the skeletons in Pitchford's closet that are about to come out soon? As much as I dont like the guy, BL is a banger IP that MS would love to get, especially as their DLC model might do well in a GP environment.

Or that BL wont be exclusive to MS?
as we just found out, they're gonna keep working with take two on borderlands.
beyond that, it's best that they don't work with randy pitchford.

I find this also quite funny:
lol, quite the full circle moment

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
In the recent months:
  • June: WB looking to sell gaming division, interest by MS, Activision, EA and T2 (didn't happen)
  • August: 4A Games by Embracer, Leyou by Tencent
  • September: Zenimax-Bethesda by MS
  • November / December : Codemasters by T2 then EA, Embracer acquires 12 studios
  • January : Tencent reportedly raising several $ billion, Next Level Games by Nintendo (first in 13 years though it was specific), edit: Tencent acquires majority stake in Klei
  • February : Gearbox (edit: + Aspyr) by Embracer, Sumo making their 3rd acquisition in 12 months (clearly not as big as other though)
Did I forget anything?
Devolver bought CroTeam

Focus Home picked up Deck 13 at some point, though this may have been earlier, don't remember now.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Hate Gearbox. So I don't really care. Though I would probably sub to Embracer if they did an EA Play vibe. A cheap fee to experience mediocre content with some golden nuggets inbetween. I'm being genuine here, I feel the sentiment is the same on Era.

I've said it before and i'll say it again..

These dudes are prepping for a console.
Or alternatively it's a money laundering operation.
Or both.

Sadly place your bets on who Embracer will acquire next.

Atari SA - Wikipedia

If Embracer Group is able to successfully acquire Atari, they could very well set up their own subscription service under the Atari brand.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Embracer Group is the European Tencent (except they don't have a social media platform infrastructure, film production and distribution wing, music label, and computer software branch...yet). Seriously though, every month they announce an acquisition. Also bouncing off that Brad Sams tweet, it's evident that Embracer Group is a frequent bidder in the market, which can compete with the likes of Microsoft and Tencent.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I had no idea Gearbox was worth that much. Is the Borderlands IP really that valuable?

ZugZug123

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes, I can live without Borderlands but Homeworld getting under this umbrella is pretty sad :(

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
God i cannot read Koch without my body jerking from horror every single time.

Cursed name.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Do we think Embracer Group will go bankrupt like THQ?

Absolutely not, they can sell off one of their publishing divisions to another company to make back the money such something like that occur. Unlike THQ, Embracer Group is not spending stupid amounts of money on marketing their titles or releasing gimmicky products.

Typhoon20

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know it's not 1.3B upfront..but are they really worth that much ? It's basically just Borderlands as a big IP. And even that's ...eh these days.
This and Codemasters. So expensive. Sony really got the best deal with Insomniac lol. This Codemasters and Gearbox acquisition shows me that the Zenimax one is a damn good deal as well.

The acquisition wars have started.

Nov 8, 2017
I know it's not 1.3B upfront..but are they really worth that much ? It's basically just Borderlands as a big IP. And even that's ...eh these days.
This and Codemasters. So expensive. Sony really got the best deal with Insomniac lol. This Codemasters and Gearbox acquisition shows me that the Zenimax one is a damn good deal as well.

Borderlands is a tens-of-millions seller each time it comes out. Then they publish other people's games like Godfall or We Happy Few. They own the Homeworld IP (games in dev based on that) and the Duke Nukem IP. I'm unsure about if they own Brothers in Arms.

I predicted around 1 billion a few weeks back, turns out I was slightly under!

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

The Borderlands IP is pretty huge in gaming so I definitely think that adds a ton of value (to your comparison, Insomniac didn't really own any valuable IP of their own, which is where a lot of the value in these acquisitions). I also wonder if people here sort of underestimate the value in buying up huge developers (Gearbox has like 500 employees I believe) with years and years of experience in shipping AAA games. Like, yeah, you can always just open up new studios from the ground up but I imagine there's a huge value in just getting a developer that is up and running like this.

biglo25

Apr 28, 2020

Yeah the Zenimax deals come with some good ips and engines which they basically got for the dirt cheap and it was paid in cash too. cash in the business sense if you know what i mean

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Can they get rid of Randy Pitchford already?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nobody actually wants Atari. It's too far gone, they are associated with ancient shit that nobody under 40 cares about, and even a lot of their popular associations (like Pac-Man) aren't owned by them.

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Maybe they can get them to fix the busted ass trophies on the PS5 version, since Gearbox ain't gonna do it willingly on their own.