• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Couldn't think of a more perfect match than Pitchford and 8chan lurkers tbh

Boogolo

Nov 1, 2020
Suprised at the price. Seems only $365m is guaranteed and the balance billion is dependent on sales targets.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
there's literally no independent studios that can make a AAA game. That's nuts. Remedy is the last one I think. Absolutely wild how fast we're moving into market consolidation

etrain911

Oct 27, 2017
Wooooof. I guess they really can't get rid of Randy, huh? That dude is a massive liability to any company.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Welcome to the content wars kiddos. The golden age of mid tier devs in the 360 / ps3 gen are over

embracer becomes the titans of AA to mid AAA content. They'll eat off catalogue shopping if they don't want to worry with setting up their own subscription model

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
This thread would be at a 1000 posts by now if it was Sony or MS instead of Embracer Group, haha.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Eh, it's just Gearbox if we're being honest with ourselves.

True, but I believe Gearbox would somehow have become incredibly important had another name been attached to them, judging from other threads I've seen.

As for Gearbox themselves, I'm a bit surprised they cost so little. Maybe Codemasters' price threw me off, but I'd thought they'd be closer to $2 billion than 1. Eh, Borderlands is really the only Gearbox series I care about, so I suppose it makes sense.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, it's just Gearbox if we're being honest with ourselves.
Yeah, I love the Borderlands series, but it took took them such a ridiculous amount of time to put out 3 after 2, and I've had no interest in anything else they do.

Hell even BL3 I've barely been able to get into despite loving the series, I'd rather replay 1 or 2 for the 5th time on Switch than 3. It felt like such an incremental update over 2 even though it took so long to come out.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if that was the sticking point?
1.3b is small potatoes for MS
embracer is not paying 1.3 billion for them just yet, it's an amount that could be paid over the span of a few years if certain goals are met.

as for MS, i think they're more interested in either studios that are smaller or big publishers that come with a ton of IP and a bunch of studios. i don't think gearbox was a consideration for them. not to mention, many companies would hesitate to get involved with randy pitchford and the bad press around him.

edit:
The day one purchase price amounts to USD 363 million in total, on a cash and debt free basis, of which USD 175 million is paid in newly issued Embracer B shares (the "Closing Consideration Shares") and the residual in cash. Subject to fulfilment of agreed financial and operational targets in the next six years, an additional consideration of maximum USD 1,015 million may be paid, of which a maximum of USD 360 million in issued Embracer B shares (the "Additional Consideration Shares") and the residual in cash. To earn the maximum consideration, USD 1,378 million the accumulated Adjusted EBITDA, including expensed development costs, must exceed USD 1,300 million over six years.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I was thinking this my self. I didn't even see any mention of gaming being consolidated.

Oh, it absolutely is and it's absolutely bad for the industry, I was just remarking on how little interest this specific thread is getting because it's not either brag or doom fuel for the console wars.

RedLangley

Oct 21, 2020
I feel genuinely concerned by all this acquisitions. Embracer doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I was thinking this my self. I didn't even see any mention of gaming being consolidated.

i've been working on an industry ownership map in my spare time... the main issue is trying to figure out how to indicate partial stakes lmao. But even just in bog-standard consolidation it's an interesting graph.

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
I mean it's better than getting bought by first party that's for sure. This way they're still multiplatform. They are, right?

Deleted member 62769

Jan 6, 2020
Holy Shit.

I would never have seen this coming! Would have thought Take-Two would be the ones to buy Gearbox.

And I guess this is why Embracer needed to take that loan from The bank.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
What's the Embracer play here? Are they just hoping to be a giant publisher or are we looking at a new streaming service in a few years?
I'm thinking an EA Play type of service, but also become some kind of bundle deal for big streaming service like gamepass. So MS pay sum of money to Embracer and get their whole library to gamepass instead of needing to make a deal for each title

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Embracer is the actual worst at this and the biggest threat currently. People have been sleeping on them while crying about Microsoft picking up like two studios in a year lmao

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
I don't really see the financial boost Embracer provides to their studios.
For me, they already made too many acquisitions...

Rosenkrantz

Jan 17, 2018
Ok, where does Embracer gets all the money to make all these acquisitions? It's not like they have a bajillion of super blockbuster franchises to justify spending that kind if money.

Deleted member 62769

Jan 6, 2020
Ok, where does Embracer gets all the money to make all these acquisitions? It's not like they have a bajillion of super blockbuster franchises to justify spending that kind if money.
They did take a loan not to long ago for example.

Forgot if it was dollar or swedish crowns but it was around 3 billion IF I remember it right.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Another pile of dirt on Homeworld.... Sigh. Welp, at least it was in the press release :)

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
This thread would be at a 1000 posts by now if it was Sony or MS instead of Embracer Group, haha.
I mean, DUH, because that would mean exclusivity of (nearly) everything going forwards to whichever console manufacturer had done the purchase. Though Gearbox isn't all that amazing of a game developer from a game quality POV so I'm not sure if all that many people on an enthusiast forum like this would have felt this as much of a loss if it had gone to either Sony or MS. And as shitty a company as Embracer is with their Nazipedophile-pandering, at least the games will still be released on everything under the sky (that can realistically run the games).

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
I guess its good that theyll stay third party rather than MS or Sony buying them but i dont really know what they make anymore apart from borderlands

Deleted member 62769

Jan 6, 2020
It was Tencent that took out a bank loan, not Embracer.
embracer.com

Embracer Group secures a new credit facility for M&A of SEK 3,0 billion - Embracer Group

Embracer Group AB ("Embracer") has signed a new credit facility of SEK 3,0 billion on favorable terms with Nordea Bank with expiry in May 2022. With the new credit facility, total cash at hand and available credit facilities amount to more than SEK 11.5 billion SEK. The new credit facility...

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
I feel genuinely concerned by all this acquisitions. Embracer doesn't seem to be stopping anytime soon.
I really feel like it's a wash. I don't really get excited when I see Embracer nor Gearbox, and no telling what will happen with both Borderlands and Duke. I can see T2 trying to get Borderlands.

Embracer seems pretty platform agnostic and a lot of what they own doesn't really look diverse.

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
I mean, DUH, because that would mean exclusivity of (nearly) everything going forwards to whichever console manufacturer had done the purchase. Though Gearbox isn't all that amazing of a game developer from a game quality POV so I'm not sure if all that many people on an enthusiast forum like this would have felt this as much of a loss if it had gone to either Sony or MS. And as shitty a company as Embracer is with their Nazipedophile-pandering, at least the games will still be released on everything under the sky (that can realistically run the games).

Absolutely, I'm not saying people would be wrong to be upset, I don't want MS or Sony gobbling up publishers at all either, I just thought it was funny that this thread was relatively slow while those would have been flowing at incredible speed.