• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I'm no business man but I can't help wondering if they keep going at their current rate, if it will backfire. They've put out games but I can't think of any major hits at least on aa terms

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

daninthemix

Nov 2, 2017
They need to spend their cheeky half a bill on studios, and then get acquired themselves by Microsoft.

Bushido

Senior Game Designer
Verified
Feb 6, 2018
I'm no business man but I can't help wondering if they keep going at their current rate, if it will backfire. They've put out games but I can't think of any major hits at least on aa terms
Desperados 3, Wasteland 3, Spongebob Rehydrated (which we know surpassed 1 mio. units sold within 6 weeks), Destroy All Humans and Darksiders Genesis (which both "exceeded expectations" 2-3 weeks after release), Hunt: Showdown, Deep Rock Galactic, Iron Harvest, Huntdown...I'm seeing plenty of games on that 2020 portfolio which had a decent amount of buzz this year.

Nov 8, 2017
There's a lot of possibilities. But here are some general thoughts:

• Larian probably isn't for sale immediately, and if it is, I'd more expect them to either go for a partial ownership stake (via Tencent or similar) or a sale to Wizards of the Coast (who is also expanding their gaming portfolio). But Embracer is not impossible. Embracer would absolutely love to have them if they can afford them and they're for sale.
  • Owlcat is a Russian studio, which would scare off some people but probably not Embracer, who already has a lot of staff there as part of the Saber Interactive acquisition. If purchased, it may well be with the intent of getting shuffled under Saber.
  • Bloober Team was reportedly having acquisition talks. There is a 100% chance that Embracer was one of the interested parties at some stage, even if they don't end up being the final buyer.
  • Techland is a Polish team with a couple of successful games under their belt and is also a wierdo micropublisher. It kind of feels like one of the companies they'd go for, there have already been several micropublishers merged or snapped up by the Embracer Group - but at 300 people they might be a bit large if they have other people on the menu already.
  • Teylon is yet another Polish team that occasionally publishes things in Japan for some reason whenever they're not busy developing extremely B grade games. I loved Terminator Resistance, but there's no denying this isn't a "prestigious" studio (the makers of RAMBO: THE GAME). I would have no surprise if they got grabbed at some point.
  • French studios like Dontnod are not the easiest for foreign companies to acquire, but Embracer does have 2 studios in France already (small as they are). This would probably go under the Koch Media label with them if acquired. They're a moderately profitable 250 person two-studio company who has had a lot of publishers come and go. Focus Home Interactive, something of a rival of Embracer, might also be interested in their purchase, as would several other companies, so it would be competitive.

The most likely candidates are, as always:

[insert team of 10 people you've literally never heard of before in your life]
and
[surprisingly large team of people you've literally never heard of before in your life]

waugh

Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Desperados 3, Wasteland 3, Spongebob Rehydrated (which we know surpassed 1 mio. units sold within 6 weeks), Destroy All Humans and Darksiders Genesis (which both "exceeded expectations" 2-3 weeks after release), Hunt: Showdown, Deep Rock Galactic, Iron Harvest, Huntdown...I'm seeing plenty of games on that 2020 portfolio which had a decent amount of buzz this year.

I don't consider these major hits though.

zothenr

Sep 21, 2018
Great! More remakes, HD versions and shit for the old catalogue´s games.

Ah, and A or AA new entries for his franchises.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
There's a lot of possibilities. But here are some general thoughts:
  • French studios like Dontnod are not the easiest for foreign companies to acquire, but Embracer does have 2 studios in France already (small as they are). This would probably go under the Koch Media label with them if acquired. They're a moderately profitable 250 person two-studio company who has had a lot of publishers come and go. Focus Home Interactive, something of a rival of Embracer, might also be interested in their purchase, as would several other companies, so it would be competitive.

Wouldn't Square Enix Europe want to subsidise DontNod to continue the Life Is Strange series?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wouldn't Square Enix Europe want to subsidise DontNod to continue the Life Is Strange series?

2 wasn't the big hit compared to 1 SE wanted, and SE in general don't look to be in the business of acquiring anybody.

They are also partenering with Deck Nine from Before the Storm on something so they still have a narrative adventure incoming as well, and there's been a few people suggesting they might be handling LIS3 rather than Dontnod.

Oct 24, 2019
Any studio that is currently collaborating with Focus Home or Big Ben is probably on the hit list, since that AA space is where THQN thrives

Oct 26, 2017
I was going to say that they only make stuff I don't care about, but apparently there's a Singstar clone with Queen songs. Hmmmmmmmmm.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I don't consider these major hits though.

But they don't need to be. Having 50 games that are mildly profitable is better than having 1 game being a major hit.
They keep making money, becoming more valuable (stonks) and it's a steady rise to the top. As long as they don't jump on the AAA game, which could lead to major bombas, they will be in a great situation. Low risk, low reward, steady and up.

Also, games selling 1+ million units is a good hit. That's like... 60 million per game? Even if they had 100 devs being paid 100k a year and developed games for 4 years they would still have 20 million profit. Sure, that's not how budgets work but their teams are also under 100 and making games in shorter times so math works out in the end haha.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
But they don't need to be. Having 50 games that are mildly profitable is better than having 1 game being a major hit.
They keep making money, becoming more valuable (stonks) and it's a steady rise to the top. As long as they don't jump on the AAA game, which could lead to major bombas, they will be in a great situation. Low risk, low reward, steady and up.

Also, games selling 1+ million units is a good hit. That's like... 60 million per game? Even if they had 100 devs being paid 100k a year and developed games for 4 years they would still have 20 million profit. Sure, that's not how budgets work but their teams are also under 100 and making games in shorter times so math works out in the end haha.

Basically this. Most of their stuff seems to do well relative to the budget for it.

Deleted member 48991

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I'm kind of wondering the same thing. I guess they are trying to manage risks by having various subcompanies managing the studios acquired, but still there is a risk that key personnel of the acquired studios leaves (after an exclusivity period), so you would end up with having to close studios. Some of their investments have been amazing though (less than 50 million dollars for 4A Games, seems insanely cheap). Also it seems like the acquisition market is getting more and more heated so the competition between various suitors should press down on potential return on investment.

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

I've yet to see any press release by Embracer Group announcing layoffs ever since they acquired the remainder of THQ's intellectual properties and trademarks.

Before the whole 8chan AMA, they were known as the gaming company that took pride in not consolidating their number of staff.

waugh

Banned
Feb 21, 2020
I've yet to see any press release by Embracer Group announcing layoffs ever since they acquired the remainder of THQ's intellectual properties and trademarks.

Before the whole 8chan AMA, they were known as the gaming company that took pride in not consolidating their number of staff.

Maybe i'm just overthinking it. Even before the 8chan AMA I was wondering how long they can keep going to acquiring stuff. I guess AA stuff selling solidly is enough. Again, not a business person at all.