• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
"Looking ahead, we now expect the next financial year ending March 2022 to become the strongest in our history driven by numerous significant releases towards the second half of the year. In total, we expect to complete more than 70 premium game development projects with a total completion value in the range SEK 2,500-3,000 million, according to management estimates at the time of this report. This excludes any additions from the announced transactions on February 3 with Gearbox, Aspyr and EasyBrain. Consequently, we now expect Q4, the current quarter ending March, to have lower activity in terms of new releases. The value of completed (released) games in Q4 is estimated to be in the range of SEK 120 - 140 million and between SEK 840 - 860 million for the fiscal year."

Well one of them is Biomutant at least

Current line-up:

schedueleembracaerdmkks.png

Last edited:

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
So 70 "Premium Game Developments" can include stuff like DLC right? Because even with a ton of ports, there's no way they're releasing 70 different games even with everyone they have bought. I guess MAYBE you can count 70 if they're counting by individual platforms.

As one Cross-gen title would effectively be 6 games if it released on PS4, PS5, X1, XSX, PC, and Switch

gozu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
America
So...which of those games are "premium", exactly?

What does premium even mean?

edit: it means non-mobile games

Last edited:

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
So 70 "Premium Game Developments" can include stuff like DLC right? Because even with a ton of ports, there's no way they're releasing 70 different games even with everyone they have bought. I guess MAYBE you can count 70 if they're counting by individual platforms.

As one Cross-gen title would effectively be 6 games if it released on PS4, PS5, X1, XSX, PC, and Switch
If you count individual platforms just for the games listed in the picture you already go over 70 though

So...which of those games are "premium", exactly?

What does premium even mean?
Premium just means not f2p IIRC

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

King Kingo

Banned
Dec 3, 2019
Most of the HandyGames developed games are not owned by Embracer, that's interesting. Looks like some of their developers can still develop for third parties.

Oct 25, 2017
This is what they released in 2020 alone, by the way. Seems like a frequently asked question here.
And recent hits like Dyson Sphere Program or Valheim are also from them.

Most of the HandyGames developed games are not owned by Embracer, that's interesting. Looks like some of their developers can still develop for third parties.
Could just be old deals, right? They only bought them in 2018.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's going to take a loooong time until my first association with the Embracer Group isn't "Yo. It's those 8chan guys" anymore.

CliveLH

Jun 22, 2019
You mean non-F2P games, right? I'm pretty sure the terms originated from the mobile game market.
No, I understand it in the same way Square Enix has a "HD Games" category in its earnings. It's all games that target the core console/PC audience. Generally speaking yeah thoses games are not F2P.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
GIVE ME THE GOTHIC REMAKE OR ELEX 2 PLS.

Please?

Oh wow, i'm just seeing, that the Gothic Remake is just for Next Gen consoles? When did that change? And PC of course

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait, they are making Gothic remake for PS5/XSX? Why i didn't heard about it until now? Moderately excited!

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
I dont see why would this excite me. They are mostly games that would come out either way, just with different publisher logo.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
Who are they... A holding group? What's their end game?
From the CEO: "Our ambition is to continue growing the number of mergers and acquisitions, as our ecosystem expands with additional operative groups where transactions are initiated and made."

So their endgame is probably that of any company, grow and expand. I think they're more focused on the smaller gaming market right now, not big AAA productions.

OP
OP
MauroNL

MauroNL

What Are Ya' Buying?
Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
From the CEO: "Our ambition is to continue growing the number of mergers and acquisitions, as our ecosystem expands with additional operative groups where transactions are initiated and made."

So their endgame is probably that of any company, grow and expand. I think they're more focused on the smaller gaming market right now, not big AAA productions.

Not entirely true, but their focus is most definitely the A and AA market.

Edit: Thought you meant no AAA productions at all but yeah the focus is the market below AAA-games

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, they are making Gothic remake for PS5/XSX? Why i didn't heard about it until now? Moderately excited!

There is a playable Teaser out there on Steam which they released Winter 2019. The premise was, that if that teaser was well received, they would build a team to remake the whole game.
The Teaser was played by a lot of people and got mainly positive reviews, with some things that are criticized by hardcore Gothic fans and the questionable Combat System. It was then deviced to fully commit to a Remake done by THQ Barcelona.
One of the lead producers is a huge OG Gothic Fan and a german guy that at least in some interviews comes off as a guy that knows what made Gothic special.

Here is the link btw:

store.steampowered.com

Gothic Playable Teaser on Steam

The Kingdom of Myrtana has been invaded by an implacable horde of orcs. King Rhobar II, in need of a large quantity of magical ore in order to forge powerful weapons, operates the Khorinis mines with all available prisoners.

Oct 25, 2017

Considering that they release a lot of smaller/mid tier stuff, it's possible for them to have 70 different games considering the amount of studios they own and things they publish. We had one of the biggest releases of the year already under their umbrella (Valheim)

Premium bargain bin games.

Which are better than most actual premium games! Crazy!

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Embracer just seems like the most corporate, most capitalist kind of company there is....

And if they genuinely have the 8chan management folks at the top....eugh.

A borg-like capitalist mercenary group that loves 8chan sounds entirely appropriate to be running a sizeable chunk of the gaming industry.

Feb 19, 2018
This is what they released in 2020 alone, by the way. Seems like a frequently asked question here.

vSeuQ4s.jpg
IncomparableEnchantingBull-size_restricted.gif

Embracer just seems like the most corporate, most capitalist kind of company there is....

And if they genuinely have the 8chan management folks at the top....eugh.
You are confusing Embracer (the parent and holding company) and THQ Nordic (the developer, which is only one of the subsidiaries). Also the 8chan stunt was the public relations and product development directors of the latter, not the leadership of Embracer. If anything, Lars Wingefors (the CEO of Embracer) offered a better apology than THQ Nordic itself did.

Also the most corporate and capitalist takeover is buying a company, extracting as much money as possible and then killing it off, which is what plenty of players are doing. Embracer keeps its aquisitions intact and pretty much never does any layoffs, so they are definitely better than plenty of other corporations on the gaming market in that regard (cough, EA or particularly Disney).

Last edited:

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice that the AA-tier of games seem to get a nice revival from a publisher side of things (not only bigger indie titles).

Unfortunately, I am not really interested in most of their releases. Wonder if they can keep this up or whether they will go down like the original THQ.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
IncomparableEnchantingBull-size_restricted.gif

You are confusing Embracer (the parent company) and THQ Nordic (the developer, which is only one of the subsidiaries). Also the 8chan stunt was the public relations and product development directors of the latter, not the leadership of Embracer. If anything, Lars Wingefors (the CEO of Embracer) offered a better apology than THQ Nordic itself did.
Ok that's good to know and important to know!

I won't repeat/spread that 8chan stuff anymore. I hope thq Nordic sorted themselves out. Maybe they did if their real boss (embracer) told them to.

Oct 27, 2017
Knight of Honor 2, I am truely excited for it. The first on was good for that time, this one is being made by some of the ex-creative assembly developers.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Embracer Group is THQ Nordic under a new name after merging with another publisher.

They are still deserving of scorn.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
As a huge fan of indie & Eurojank RPGs(and AA games in general) I'm happy there's a now major publisher that will throw money at those projects/studios.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
You are confusing Embracer (the parent and holding company) and THQ Nordic (the developer, which is only one of the subsidiaries). Also the 8chan stunt was the public relations and product development directors of the latter, not the leadership of Embracer. If anything, Lars Wingefors (the CEO of Embracer) offered a better apology than THQ Nordic itself did.

Also the most corporate and capitalist takeover is buying a company, extracting as much money as possible and then killing it off, which is what plenty of players are doing. Embracer keeps its aquisitions intact and pretty much never does any layoffs, so they are definitely better than plenty of other corporations on the gaming market in that regard (cough, EA or particularly Disney).

at the time Embracer was just THQ Nordic AB and lars wingefors still let philipp brock / reinhard pollice stay on at THQ Nordic GmbH. so i'm not really seeing the redemption arc

Kinan

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There is a playable Teaser out there on Steam which they released Winter 2019. The premise was, that if that teaser was well received, they would build a team to remake the whole game.
The Teaser was played by a lot of people and got mainly positive reviews, with some things that are criticized by hardcore Gothic fans and the questionable Combat System. It was then deviced to fully commit to a Remake done by THQ Barcelona.
One of the lead producers is a huge OG Gothic Fan and a german guy that at least in some interviews comes off as a guy that knows what made Gothic special.

Here is the link btw:

store.steampowered.com

Gothic Playable Teaser on Steam

The Kingdom of Myrtana has been invaded by an implacable horde of orcs. King Rhobar II, in need of a large quantity of magical ore in order to forge powerful weapons, operates the Khorinis mines with all available prisoners.
Cheers, thanks for the update. :)