• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.necn.com/news/new-engla...ttend-Strangers-Bachelor-Party-504484142.html
A typo in an email address connected total strangers—and will result in an unlikely guest at a party in Vermont this weekend.

"I try to be open to things in life," said Will Novak of Arizona, who was accidentally invited to the bachelor party of a man he never met.

A typo meant the invitation went to Will instead of to Bill Novak of Brooklyn, because their email addresses—like their names—are just a single letter off from one another.
The invitation was to a bachelor party for a man named Angelo, and will be held this weekend at Vermont's Okemo Mountain Resort.

Will Novak responded to the misdirected message, accepting the invitation, because he said he thought Angelo and his friends seemed cool.

"The fact they wrote back and met me at my level of intensity and enthusiasm and were like, 'You seem great, you're hilarious, come on out—let's have fun,' was amazing," Will Novak said.
What say you, Era? Would you travel 2,500 miles to go to a stranger's bachelor party?

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit this poor guy is going to Okemo this weekend? The resort sucks even in the best conditions. Try to hang out with strangers under a yard of snow and in -25 C weather.

Oct 27, 2017
It hasn't actually happened yet? This story was written too early. Now if something crazy happened, like he turned out to be rich and gifted the bachelor a Tesla with a crate of cocain or something inside it, that's a story.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i dont want to be rude, but how is this news, like how the hell did news outlets get ahold of this info?

did the guy who got invited just decide "this is good shit i better call the local station"?

and to top it all off, the event hasn't even happened yet, making the whole news story that much more bizarre

OP
OP
vatstep

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
i dont want to be rude, but how is this news, like how the hell did news outlets get ahold of this info?

did the guy who got invited just decide "this is good shit i better call the local station"?
I don't know, but dumb/lighthearted stories in the news are one of the few things that get me through the day

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I've never been stabbed, but I imagine this is how people get stabbed.
Lol. "I'm well adjusted and have solely the best of intentions; may I travel 2500 miles to introduce myself in person?". Whole flight he listens to Robert Palmer and Huey Lewis & the News. His raincoat is in his carry on.

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
seems like a pointless affair overall

Why? A strange mishap led this guy to make new friends and he's going to bring money that he raised by sharing this story to help them pay for the wedding.

It's a feel good story that all of them will have to share for the rest of their lives and he might very well become good friends with them too.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Sounds like the opening synopsis of a new slasher franchise....

The Unassuming
The Unassuming 2: Assumed the Worse
The Unassuming 3: Extreme Assumption
The Un4ssuming

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
This sounds like a story me or my friend group would be involved in, either side.

Seems p awesome, I approve.

Why? A strange mishap led this guy to make new friends and he's going to bring money that he raised by sharing this story to help them pay for the wedding.

It's a feel good story that all of them will have to share for the rest of their lives and he might very well become good friends with them too.

Glad I'm not the only one who has nothing but positive feelings as a takeaway from this story.

minus_me

Oct 27, 2017
Last time I was in Vermont I paid for an entire bachelor party randomly. I like you Vermont peeps.

Oct 27, 2017

and to top it all off, the event hasn't even happened yet, making the whole news story that much more bizarre

Ha, that's what I thought.

I actually got an email the other day clearly not for me from a well known car dealership confirming the £7,500 price I'd agreed to part exchange my car for. This means I'm now driving 300 miles to Scotland and trading in my car because WHAT A STORY.

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017

I dunno man, I vastly prefer a thread about a dumb, light-hearted story than yet another thread about everyone dogpiling over something stupid a celebrity may or may not have said.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
If I got an email like that, I'd put it in the spam folder with everything else, like the Million Dollars offers from relatives that don't exist, just assume its Scam, Spam or Not for me as in misdirected email.

Vaco6121

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Near Rochester, MN
https://www.thisisinsider.com/will-...r-bachelor-party-mistakenly-invited-to-2019-1

He actually went.

"After a 2,500-mile flight from Phoenix to Boston, Novak made it to the party. And it was fun! "When I walked in, there were fireworks going off around him, he was standing on top of a bass drum, and he was shredding some metal on a guitar," Novak said of the moment he met Angelo and his friends. "It was quite the introduction. It was pretty intense." But the best part, he said, was meeting the other Will Novak, whose invitation he had mistakenly received. The Arizona man said that in addition to a name, the men had a lot in common — including taste in movies and music."

Notaskwid

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka
If I had the time and money, sure
The better question is who the hell invites someone for a party through email. Guess the fax machine was broken.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Heeeeeeey Will ya made it (under breath) I can't believe he actually showed up

OP
OP
vatstep

vatstep

Oct 25, 2017
https://www.thisisinsider.com/will-...r-bachelor-party-mistakenly-invited-to-2019-1

He actually went.

"After a 2,500-mile flight from Phoenix to Boston, Novak made it to the party. And it was fun! "When I walked in, there were fireworks going off around him, he was standing on top of a bass drum, and he was shredding some metal on a guitar," Novak said of the moment he met Angelo and his friends. "It was quite the introduction. It was pretty intense." But the best part, he said, was meeting the other Will Novak, whose invitation he had mistakenly received. The Arizona man said that in addition to a name, the men had a lot in common — including taste in movies and music."
Ha, nice. I had honestly forgotten about this so thanks for the update.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

This is true reporting, getting the news from the beat of the streets.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If I got an email like that, I'd put it in the spam folder with everything else, like the Million Dollars offers from relatives that don't exist, just assume its Scam, Spam or Not for me as in misdirected email.

My email address is apparently very similar to a beef jerky company, and I get SOOOOOO many dumb emails my way from fans of their beef jerky. It takes all my will power to not reply to them snarkily. Like one woman wrote asking what we put in our beef jerky to make them taste so good and like a million ideas went off in my mind before I filed the email away as spam.

May 26, 2018

He actually went.

This is so fucking charming, it's like an episode of a cute television show

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
My email address is apparently very similar to a beef jerky company, and I get SOOOOOO many dumb emails my way from fans of their beef jerky. It takes all my will power to not reply to them snarkily. Like one woman wrote asking what we put in our beef jerky to make them taste so good and like a million ideas went off in my mind before I filed the email away as spam.

Haha what a pain to deal with

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

Croc Man

Oct 27, 2017
Oh that video ruined it, I was hoping he'd go to the wedding, fall in love with a bridesmaid and get married himself. That's less charming now I know he's already married with a kid.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I have a friend with a common email address who gets wrong emails all the time and replies to them for fun. I could see this happening to him.

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds great, I love these stories. When I was in school aim used to fuck up and randomly deliver messages to other people. I had chat buddies for years from other parts of the country because of that glitch. Take advantage of these strange opportunities to meet people