• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Dan Carlin needs to shut the fuck up and finish the next episode of Hardcore History.

The last episode was in January, and the one before that was last July!

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dan should do an episode of hardcore history on Henry Ford and the birth of modern manufacturing, that'd be a good topic. But of course he has more important things to finish first

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that seems to be the kind of person yang is trying to appeal to

SlushyHospitableBalloonfish-size_restricted.gif

That kind of person?

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I know a lot of people don't like Yang. That's fair. But he has the feel of a guy who'll gain traction really quickly if people ever find out he exists. This is in contrast to someone like Biden, who's losing ground by the debate and only ever had it because he had name recognition. He says a lot of things which would appeal to the democrats, but all the "Look at the MATH" talk would appeal to certain other groups.

That said, I've admittedly cooled on him. While I like the idea of UBI and the fact that someone cares to have an answer for automation, ultimately I haven't been impressed with his answer for solving the student health crisis, and his answer to M4A isn't nearly as definitive as Warren. He's got about 50 other positions on his website that I think range from neat (getting rid of the penny) to "Bruh why haven't we done this already", such as introducing Ranked Choice Voting and moving to get Division I NCAA players paid, but those aren't as big as the major issues the country needs to address.

I did donate to him a while back though, as I'd like UBI to become a topic people have to discuss and confront. One thing Republicans figured out was how to shift the overton window. Don't gradually move in the direction you want, just put the idea out there and make people debate it's merits. So yeah, that's what I want.

Y'know. After we wrap up this immigration crisis. And the health care thing. And the student loans. And...ugh. I'm tired. >.<

Last edited:

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
That tweet by Yang is actually exactly why I want to support him. I think there are more rounded and capable candidates who I'd support first, but that type of scientific attitude is exactly what I'd want in a president. It's nice to see.

One of the most absurd things about political discourse to me has always been criticism of changing positions. Not what they changed their position to, but simply the act of changing positions at all. I hate the stupid ass gotcha videos and I hate the lazy "this guy said this thing once and therefore x" line of thought. People change, their positions change, it should be commended when someone is presented with more/better information and changes their mind.

bricewgilbert

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
WA, USA
His solution for paying for UBI is both classist and racist. Sounds like something Musk would either whole heartily support or not give a shit about.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
What flavour of ubi is Yang backing? The shrink the state kill all welfare and place a single payment in the place of all social security or the good ubi that recognises disabled people will still have higher costs and thus need extra help?

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
User banned (1 week): trolling over a series of posts in the thread + previous bans for similar behaviour
What flavour of ubi is Yang backing? The shrink the state kill all welfare and place a single payment in place or the good ubi that recognises disabled people will still have higher costs and thus need extra help?
You get 12k a year. All social security dismantled. Maybe we'll lower the age of consent. Basic SV stuff.

Chasex

Oct 29, 2017
His solution for paying for UBI is both classist and racist. Sounds like something Musk would either whole heartily support or not give a shit about.

Now this I want to hear about.

What flavour of ubi is Yang backing? The shrink the state kill all welfare and place a single payment in the place of all social security or the good ubi that recognises disabled people will still have higher costs and thus need extra help?

What are people talking about with dismantling social security? Also here it says the disability benefits will stay the same or change to UBI whichever is highest.

yang campaign site said:
Those who served our country and are facing a disability because of it will continue to receive their benefits on top of the Freedom Dividend.

Social Security retirement benefits stack with the Freedom Dividend. Since it is a benefit that people pay into throughout their lives, that money is properly viewed as belonging to them, and they shouldn't need to choose.

SSDI is based on earned work credits. SSI is a means-tested program. You can collect both SSDI and the Freedom Dividend. Most people who are legally disabled receive both SSDI and SSI. Under the Freedom Dividend, those who are legally disabled would have a choice between collecting SSDI and the Freedom Dividend, or collecting SSDI and SSI, whichever is more generous.

Even some people who receive more than $1,000 a month in SSI would choose to take the Freedom Dividend because it has no preconditions. The Freedom Dividend removes these requirements and guarantees an income, regardless of other factors.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Now this I want to hear about.

It was brought up on the Breakfast Club that $1k a month wouldn't really solve everyone's problems. Yang didn't seem against using $1k as a starting point and raising it if the support was there. The real issue would be making it fit in the budget, I'd imagine. Which presumably we could do if we stopped throwing away so much money on defense spending, but we'd have to get there first.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
You get 12k a year. All social security dismantled. Maybe we'll lower the age of consent. Basic SV stuff.
False
Social Security retirement benefits stack with the Freedom Dividend. Since it is a benefit that people pay into throughout their lives, that money is properly viewed as belonging to them, and they shouldn't need to choose.

SSDI is based on earned work credits. SSI is a means-tested program. You can collect both SSDI and the Freedom Dividend. Most people who are legally disabled receive both SSDI and SSI. Under the Freedom Dividend, those who are legally disabled would have a choice between collecting SSDI and the Freedom Dividend, or collecting SSDI and SSI, whichever is more generous.

Even some people who receive more than $1,000 a month in SSI would choose to take the Freedom Dividend because it has no preconditions. The Freedom Dividend removes these requirements and guarantees an income, regardless of other factors.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
If ubi isn't about keeping you above the poverty line it's pointless. 12k can't be the US poverty line, that's outrageously low that's like 9 grand here.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017

That's not really true. Social Security is specifically stated to be left alone. Other welfare programs will be consolidated to lower administrative overhead. The bulk of Yang's plan to fund UBI is increased taxes on financial transactions and eliminating plus increasing capital gains tax along with a 10% VAT. As well, he's wanting Medicare for All to become law.

He's got some negative traits but his policy is pretty leftist even if it comes from an SV mindset.
I'd like to see him gain momentum cause people need to have it beaten into their minds that automation isn't that far away and we need to start adjusting now. I'd like him out by primary season though.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It was brought up on the Breakfast Club that $1k a month wouldn't really solve everyone's problems. Yang didn't seem against using $1k as a starting point and raising it if the support was there. The real issue would be making it fit in the budget, I'd imagine. Which presumably we could do if we stopped throwing away so much money on defense spending, but we'd have to get there first.
I find it a really disingenuous argument that the Freedom Dividend is no good because $1k/month isn't enough. What people are neglecting is that everyone else's UBI offer is zero.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
I find it a really disingenuous argument that the Freedom Dividend is no good because $1k/month isn't enough. What people are neglecting is that everyone else's UBI offer is zero.

Yes everyone else is talking about Medicare for All/Universal Healthcare which tackles a problem for today. UBI tackles the problems of the future. Also if you room with another person, that's $24k in household income which can be quite workable if neither are greedy.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
It's a huge start and it's not like people will stop making other income.
Sure but my view is if you're gonna try and get ubi you go big or go home. It would be enormously difficulty to get any ubi regardless of income through so you might aswell aim for the thing ubi is meant for . Keeping people above the poverty line is the most important aspect of it.

Lathentar

Oct 27, 2017

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Sure but my view is if you're gonna try and get ubi you go big or go home. It would be enormously difficulty to get any ubi regardless of income through so you might aswell aim for the thing ubi is meant for . Keeping people above the poverty line is the most important aspect of it.

Strangely, the poverty level for one person is around $12k, I believe. That's total bullshit, but at the same time if you added $12k to anyone who's working even 25-30 hours you'd be above the poverty level unless you lived in a major city.

Yeah, but it gives people a bad taste when they think SSI is going away, even though it isn't.

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Strangely, the poverty level for one person is around $12k, I believe. That's total bullshit, but at the same time if you added $12k to anyone who's working even 25-30 hours you'd be above the poverty level unless you lived in a major city.

Yeah, but it gives people a bad taste when they think SSI is going away, even though it isn't.
Ultimately UBI is supposed to replace jobs for those people unable to get work due to automation though. So I don't really take work pay into account, still think 12k is nuts.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
Ultimately UBI is supposed to replace jobs for those people unable to get work due to automation though. So I don't really take work pay into account, still think 12k is nuts.
People will stop going to school because there's no need to get educated if you're receiving free money. The wealthy would only get more powerful while the general population becomes dumb and submissive.

Avitus

Oct 25, 2017
People will stop going to school because there's no need to get educated if you're receiving free money. The wealthy would only get more powerful while the general population becomes dumb and submissive.

The trades are a thing and they are dying because of the "you must get at least a bachelors degree, preferably a graduate degree" mentality. You're acting like the current setup gives us the optimal societal outcome when it's pretty far from it.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Bullshit, people learn for non economic reasons all the time.

It's not right, but the last few years America has been insulting the Arts while telling people STEM degrees are the only ones worth it "because those get you jobs".

The thing is, I'm a full proponent of raising UBI over time. You can't use $12k to replace the $48-70k a trucker earns, after all. An incremental increase over the next ten years that's automatic, working its way up to $24k would be solid. But we've also got to get over the idea that people can/should live alone until they have a family. America's really attached to the idea that you're not successful if you're living with parents or roommates past college.

TheUnseenTheUnheard

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 25, 2018
The trades are a thing and they are dying because of the "you must get at least a bachelors degree, preferably a graduate degree" mentality. You're acting like the current setup gives us the optimal societal outcome when it's pretty far from it.

That's fair but I'm just saying, the incentive would definitely not be there. If people want to learn in their own time for no reason other than for hobby-esc stuff then fine.

The incentive to learn so you can get a job is bigger than you think I feel.