• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
Did everyone consider that maybe.., this twitter account is those the official one ? Maybe is not him ? Just wondering...

Jun 11, 2019
I thought about it, both people didn't credit the original Creator... You can argue that there was more work involved in her part then Elons, obviously, but both stole someone else's work. It doesn't matter if she drew that from scratch, coming up with the character itself is part of the creative process. He should have credited her, she should have credited Akihiko Yoshida, it's a bit hypocritical of her to complain about it when she didn't... Elon actually should have credited both.
Several people here have already explained how these situations are different, please read their posts from earlier

Zips

Oct 25, 2017
"Nier Automata Fan Art Forces Elon Musk Off Twitter" is not a headline I thought I would ever read.
A shame he didn't actually delete it though.

He'll probably return. He'll probably be just as full of himself as always when he does. I mean, he says he's leaving, then keeps his account live, and has an "f art" for his avatar.

Dude has serious issues.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
the guy is an idiot but he didn't need to credit the artist. why should anybody?

they're just sharing an image. it'd be different if he was using it to make money or pass it off as his own. if artists want credit in these situations (sharing over social media) then stick your name on it for goodness sake.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Heh, the Elon haters back in force I see. As usual people playing checkers while Mr. Musk is playing 4D chess on the other side of the board. It's amusing, you can't imagine living life at the pace he does. Our brains run at approximately 30% of their full capacity, science claims, but Musk has had scans that show his to be operating at roughly 70%, called the Jobs Region. It's obvious that Elon realised that if he'd tweeted out this "artwork" (Da Vinci it isn't) with credit zero people would have cared, and this person would continue to be of importance. No, instead, Elon decides to fall on his own sword for this 'artist'. To once again be cast into the public light, brandished as a monster all so that this person can actually get a scent of true fame. Like plankton picking from the whale. You people have the audacity to malign a giant of our times for this generous act, blind to the genius of it all.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
the guy is an idiot but he didn't need to credit the artist. why should anybody?

they're just sharing an image. it'd be different if he was using it to make money or pass it off as his own. if artists want credit in these situations (sharing over social media) then stick your name on it for goodness sake.

Because he is a public figure who benefits (financially and otherwise) from his Twitter presence. People should cite what they can even if they're nobodies like me, but it's a whole other ballgame when you are selling not just cars, etc. but your persona as well, which is what Musk does.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
Heh, the Elon haters back in force I see. As usual people playing checkers while Mr. Musk is playing 4D chess on the other side of the board. It's amusing, you can't imagine living life at the pace he does. Our brains run at approximately 30% of their full capacity, science claims, but Musk has had scans that show his to be operating at roughly 70%, called the Jobs Region. It's obvious that Elon realised that if he'd tweeted out this "artwork" (Da Vinci it isn't) with credit zero people would have cared, and this person would continue to be of importance. No, instead, Elon decides to fall on his own sword for this 'artist'. To once again be cast into the public light, brandished as a monster all so that this person can actually get a scent of true fame. Like plankton picking from the whale. You people have the audacity to malign a giant of our times for this generous act, blind to the genius of it all.
I don't know how much the rest of you know about giving credit (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Texas where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you give credit to someone while in California, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I'm personally shocked the man who doesn't want his employees to unionise refused to credit someone properly for their work.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I don't know how much the rest of you know about giving credit (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Texas where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you give credit to someone while in California, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.
I'm glad I'm not the only creature of culture here.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then, thats bad. How could he be so visionary and at same time so dumb.

Well, as we all know, usually too much money does bad to people.
I'm surprised how many techy people are in love with Musk and aren't aware what a shitty person he really is.

He once called Thai hero cave diver a "pedo guy".
He sued (2 or 3 times and lost) Jeremy Clarkson and Top Gear because of unsatisfactory review was given to his crappy Tesla car.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

Thank god no two names are the same.

Deleted member 1273

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You seem like a genius worth listening to

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I'm surprised that so many here seem to think that just crediting would be ok.

It's not. Even if you credit the artists, you're still needlessly taking traffic from wherever they host their art.

Don't be an asshole. If you want to share fan art, Twitter has this wonderful system called "retweeting". If the art is hosted externally to Twitter, then you're just going to have to put in the Herculean effort to post a link to it.

And if you really need the ego boost of having the picture be on your specific account, then actually do the normal human being thing and ask if you can re-post it. That's the kind of manners you're supposed to have nailed down by the time you leave the first year of primary school.

None of this should be hard, but thanks to assholes like Musk it is.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
You don't think it's hypocritical the person complaining she didn't get credited, didn't actually credited the original designer of the work she drew from originally? What?
"sure she credited the creators generally, but not every specific person responsible for 2B specifically!"

if you keep bending backwards your gonna get shit on your forehead

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

Even Yoko Taro retweeting this now... One thing is funny though, the artist has probably got way more exposure from this controversy than she would if Elon would credit her from the beggining.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Because it's standard procedure to provide a reference to other peoples work if you're sharing it in a public place. To do otherwise is deliberately robbing the people who actually put the hard work in to creating whatever the piece is of recognition for their time, effort and occasionally even monetarily.

Not that Elon Musk would be any stranger to passing work of others off as his own, which would be why he didn't initially see the obvious outcome coming.

Last edited:

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
but that doesn't take away from the fact that the digital painting itself is ALSO original work, which deserves credit
If I understood what you are saying, no, it is not. Each and every fan art is legally a property of companies who created these characters. If I'm drawing 2B, Square Enix can say "it's mine" and there's nothing I can do.

That's why it always was shocking for me that Patreon artists can sell their fan art and nobody gives a shit (except for Disney, for a long time they gave a shit) when it's the definition of copyright infrigement.

Alien Bob

Nov 25, 2017
If I understood what you are saying, no, it is not. Each and every fan art is legally a property of companies who created these characters. If I'm drawing 2B, Square Enix can say "it's mine" and there's nothing I can do.

That's why it always was shocking for me that Patreon artists can sell their fan art and nobody gives a shit (except for Disney, for a long time they gave a shit) when it's the definition of copyright infrigement.

This is only partially true. The copyright of the character lies with the company, and they can tell you to take it down, but they cannot claim it for themselves without the artist's permission because the copyright of whatever contribution they added belongs to the artist.

Oct 25, 2017
rscn63ymnz431.jpg

Fuck Elon and his weird-ass fans. Those of you saying that he doesn't have to give credit must be playing a bit, otherwise what the fuck?

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
"sure she credited the creators generally, but not every specific person responsible for 2B specifically!"
She didn't though? Check her twitter. She generally doesn't in most of her stuff that isn't originally hers.

if you keep bending backwards your gonna get shit on your forehead
I don't think that expression means what you think it does. It doesn't really apply all that well here...

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
She didn't though? Check her twitter. She generally doesn't in most of her stuff that isn't originally hers.
When have fan artists ever been expected to credit every single person responsible for the character's creation? That isn't how this works. Musk literally right-clicked and saved this artist's art and posted it on his own Twitter on a website that actually has a feature that allows you to just retweet someone's post. He knew what he was doing, and when people called him out, he acted like a sad little baby. I don't see why you're trying to argue that this artist should credit Automata's artists for her own art of their characters. The two situations aren't the same.

Nov 1, 2017
This guy is such an unbelievable pissbaby that i'm amazed he manages to get up in the morning and get dressed without help let alone become as successful as he has. How the fuck did he manage that? Or is it one of those cases where someone becomes too powerful and they just turn into a complete fucking monster?

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You don't think it's hypocritical the person complaining she didn't get credited, didn't actually credited the original designer of the work she drew from originally? What?
That's not how fanart works, are you crediting the designer of astro bot? Why are you using false equivalences.
Elon Musk has MILLIONS of followers and it's profiting of the art of someone who just got into 10k followers, if you, for whatever reason, think it's even remotely the same for him to post and don't credit than someone putting the effort to make fanart of an IP... I don't know what to tell you, pity to be you I guess.

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User banned (3 days): trolling
That's not how fanart works, are you crediting the designer of astro bot? Why are you using false equivalences.
Elon Musk has MILLIONS of followers and it's profiting of the art of someone who just got into 10k followers, if you, for whatever reason, think it's even remotely the same for him to post and don't credit than someone putting the effort to make fanart of an IP... I don't know what to tell you, pity to be you I guess.
I'm not, but I'm also not saying I made it or complaining about it not being credited. I can bet if someone stole my avatar I wouldn't say a word. I also don't have million of followers... I'm really not following your line of though here, your reasoning is making no sense at all.

"That's not how fanart works?" Please elaborate. It's art, she stole the design from someone else that actually came up with it from scratch. She didn't credit the original designer, and then complains when someone else uses it?

"if you, for whatever reason, think it's even remotely the same"
I never said it was the same, It doesn't need to be the same to still be hypocritical. Both of them are in the wrong here, the only difference is that she's beeing hypocritical when complain about Elon.

Hey, who's the little robot in your avatar? Don't you think it's infringing on Sony's property to not credit the original designer?
Read above. You are really grasping at straws right now.

Deleted member 1273

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I literally making gymnastics to try to prove my point and looking like a jackass in the process
I see.

The folks who come to you with the 'please elaborate' rethoric don't want to listen don't want to grow they just want you to stall so they can still discussing, if I have to explain to you how fanart works I almost feel like redirecting to you to Hypnospace Outlaw since the first chapter of the game would make you feel right at home.

You literally take down fanart because the law about copyright was designed around folks like Metalmurphy who will bootlick whatever IP