• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The Three

Sep 11, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Trolling over a series of posts
no, i saw what they were doing

they were attempting to troll, like you are attempting to do now

Not at all. I asked legitimate questions. None of which anyone seems to have any answers for.

Something genuinely interesting is that people on a video game forum are actively supporting someone (Meli) who did not credit the actual artists involved in the creation of an arguably iconic video game character. It's very peculiar.

Saikar

Nov 3, 2017
Elon Musk is a weird dude who chooses the weirdest hills to die on.

I don't credit every art I post (or frequently any of them, really) but if people ask, I either provide it, track it down, or admit I can't remember and pass along any information I do remember that might help in the hunt. I think that's enough and if anyone were to give me legitimate grievance over that I'd be pretty irritated.

Jun 11, 2019
Not at all. I asked legitimate questions. None of which anyone seems to have any answers for.

Something genuinely interesting is that people on a video game forum are actively supporting someone (Meli) who did not credit the actual artists involved in the creation of an arguably iconic video game character. It's very peculiar.
Because your argument is disingenuous and if you actually spent more time thinking rather than asking bullshit questions, you'd understand why both situations aren't the same thing at all

PMS341

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How many? And how many are properly licensing the designs they don't own from the companies that do own them? If you're making a living off fan art, aren't you even more responsible for properly crediting the original artists?

Millions more than those who make fucking GIFs, dude. Don't try to be disingenuous. This dumbass yet again proved his lack of cognitive thought by tripling down on the lack of credit for the artist themselves.

Also, the "what about the original artists?" is a pretty awful take and is clear deflection, but I'll bite. It isn't a secret where Nier Automata comes from at this point, who worked on it, what platforms it releases on, etc. Many times the fan artist will mention the title or creator or what have you, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the digital painting itself is ALSO original work, which deserves credit. In this particular case, I'm sure you could reverse image search and find out for yourself. ;)

There is always a strange overlap of right-brain Musk wannabes who really have no idea how art or the creative process works whatsoever, as the depths of their creativity is about as shallow as their favorite union-buster himself.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Elon Musk is a weird dude who chooses the weirdest hills to die on.

I don't credit every art I post (or frequently any of them, really) but if people ask, I either provide it, track it down, or admit I can't remember and pass along any information I do remember that might help in the hunt. I think that's enough and if anyone were to give me legitimate grievance over that I'd be pretty irritated.
Straight up, if you dont have a source at the ready maybe dont post that shit. Im sorry youre so irritated for being asked to do the bare minimum

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
How far does this extend, especially when we're talking fan art? On Meli Melo's own Art Station page where the image was posted they don't credit anyone except to provide some tags for for "Sony" and "Square Enix" - there's no credit for the character designer Akihiko Yoshida, not the character modeler Hito Matsudaira , not Yoko Taro the director, none for any of the artists. Should Musk have also credited these people since it is not Melo's original design?

Many here also don't see the irony of the requests for sources on the I Mad Men gifs - and when the "source" is provided there are no credits for the writers, cinematographers, directors, production designers, costume designers etc...

How many? And how many are properly licensing the designs they don't own from the companies that do own them? If you're making a living off fan art, aren't you even more responsible for properly crediting the original artists?
On the original Twitter post, it tags Nier, 2B, fanart, etc.

cjWgyaX.png

It doesn't list the character designers and such, but it does list the source material -- it doesn't need to be overthought, there's a difference between commercial work and individual/freelance output, and visibility is an incredibly important thing for individual artists and getting work. Musky is not taking credit for the art by posting it, but by using his reach irresponsibly it becomes an image that doesn't reach back to the artist in any way. If this didn't blow up the Musky tweet would still be liked/RT'd in the thousands, while the original would stay at a here couple hundred.

And hey, I'll even say it's fine that he just posted it like that to start off with -- but where he fucked up was doubling, tripling, quadrupling down when told to source and making a big fuckwad of himself to the "how do you do fellow kids" audience he's trying to court.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you really think about it the artists should credit Yoko Taro's parents because they needed to give birth to him for Nier to exist.

The Three

Sep 11, 2018
Because your argument is disingenuous and if you actually spent more time thinking rather than asking bullshit questions, you'd understand why both situations aren't the same thing at all

I have thought about it. Enlighten me as to how it is "disingenuous".

PS. No need for profanity

Millions more than those who make fucking GIFs, dude. Don't try to be disingenuous. This dumbass yet again proved his lack of cognitive thought by tripling down on the lack of credit for the artist themselves.

Source? I'm not talking about the people who literally press "make gif" I'm talking about the film and television professionals who make those shows.

It isn't a secret where Nier Automata comes from at this point, who worked on it, what platforms it releases on, etc. Many times the fan artist will mention the title or creator or what have you, but that doesn't take away from the fact that the digital painting itself is ALSO original work, which deserves credit. In this particular case, I'm sure you could reverse image search and find out for yourself. ;)

Except neither person here credited those artists. If it's not a secret, why didn't Melo credit them?

There is always a strange overlap of right-brain Musk wannabes who really have no idea how art or the creative process works whatsoever, as the depths of their creativity is about as shallow as their favorite union-buster himself.

I have no support for Musk, couldn't really care less about him. Interesting you jump to that conclusion though. Are you also just using insults now?

Last edited:

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Dude took more time and energy to do everything except credit the artist. Hed lose his shit if someone stood to gain off his work without compensation.

The Three

Sep 11, 2018
And hey, I'll even say it's fine that he just posted it like that to start off with

Exactly, absolutely agree.

-- but where he fucked up was doubling, tripling, quadrupling down when told to source and making a big fuckwad of himself to the "how do you do fellow kids" audience he's trying to court.

Exactly, absolutely agree.

The problem is people are trying to conflate the two.

Mr Satan

Oct 25, 2017
How does a guy of Elon's means get embroiled in stupid shit like this lmao

Like seriously? There's 9 billion better things to do.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
How far does this extend, especially when we're talking fan art? On Meli Melo's own Art Station page where the image was posted they don't credit anyone except to provide some tags for for "Sony" and "Square Enix" - there's no credit for the character designer Akihiko Yoshida, not the character modeler Hito Matsudaira , not Yoko Taro the director, none for any of the artists. Should Musk have also credited these people since it is not Melo's original design?

Many here also don't see the irony of the requests for sources on the I Mad Men gifs - and when the "source" is provided there are no credits for the writers, cinematographers, directors, production designers, costume designers etc...

Context and common sense is very important in this—because without it, every art/fanart posted on the internet not by the copyright holder (which is most likely illegal in the very strict sense) would need to credit everyone who is involved in the creation process. But that's not how the world works. Lawyers don't go around suing every piece of fanart or GIFs posted on the internet despite it is their power to do so, they only go after the most problematic ones (say, a company is profiting from it). And the internet doesn't scream at every people posting GIFs to credit its creators. Crediting creators are always, always better, but common sense is used on who you credit the piece of art for. This is understood by fans and creators alike, because they both benefit from this fandom culture. And though there may be small difference and disagreements, there is no rigid or written rule on this.

Most people agree that it if you repost a fanart of a popular character, you at least credit the one who drew it in the first place. It's what people asked of Elon. Just that one thing. But Elon is somehow going apeshit over this one request, which is what people are ridiculing him for.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, boys - God Emperor Elongated Muskrat is too busy saving the world to credit your disgusting non-STEM-degree-having fan artist! They should be happy that Daddy Musk, with his impeccable taste and discerning eye, recognized their art as being worthy of being perceived by his 200 IQ big brain.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Just source stuff when/if you can, and don't think too hard. Fan work especially can have great talents behind it from less-obvious sources (ie. people know 2B or Mad Men but not might know who the fan artists, or show or whatever is).

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
What a fucking joker. Cries like a baby when media doesn't credit him but refuses to do the same himself.

The Three

Sep 11, 2018
Context and common sense is very important in this—because without it, every art/fanart posted on the internet not by the copyright holder (which is most likely illegal in the very strict sense) would need to credit everyone who is involved in the creation process.

Exactly. Asking for people to do such a thing is clearly absurd

Most people agree that it if you repost a fanart of a popular character, you at least credit the one who drew it in the first place.

I would disagree with the assertion that "most people agree" you should credit a fanart creator. I would agree that most people involved in (either as conent creators or as avid content supporters / distributors etc..) would agree as such, but I would think the general populace would certainly not.

It's what people asked of Elon. Just that one thing. But Elon is somehow going apeshit over this one request, which is what people are ridiculing him for.

Yes, his reaction is atrocious and he should have just responded with the artist's name or just said "sorry, don't know". But many seem to be conflating his subsequent behaviour after the request with some expectation that everyone should be crediting every piece of fan-art they re-post on social media just because they think it's cool.

Zed

Oct 28, 2017
Doesn't Musk brag about working 10 million hours a week? Good to know he is hard at work with shit like this.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
This is the kind of asinine double-down teenagers lash out with when they know they don't actually have a reasonable argument or defense but they are still mad for being called out.

"Well, actually, doing chores teaches people to conform to societal norms!"

"Staying home to do homework is why kids are socially stunted!"

I see I'm not the only person on this site who's used Tumblr before. Of course when Musk pulls this shit it is very much the 30 rock hello fellow kids image

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing billionaires spit the dummy when they realise their money can't stop them getting owned online gives me life.

Evilcrane

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
It's going to be interesting to see him snap and murder the whole crew in their cryosleep on a future deep space expedition, when a random viewer asks during a live stream interview if they credited Disney when they copied their colony ship's kitchen from "Alien".

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Playing Devil's Advocate here but ironically hasn't this provided far more publicity for the artist? Kinda Ironic for Musk.

DiscoThunder

May 7, 2019
Whew, isn't Musk supposed to be a grown man?

Ironically, this might have given the artist more support and exposure than if Musk had mentioned him...

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
Bringing drama into the Nier community is EVEN WORSE than exploiting your workers and lobbying against unions

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I've always found Automata to be somewhat over praised but if it's lead to Musk leaving Twitter this may make me reasssess my judgement

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
I'm sure he's taking the whole twitter thing as a game, he knows posting fanart does not require crediting, so he's just trolling.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Please stop giving Elon Musk attention, I vomited when all the weebs hailed him as a hero for using an FMA avatar for a bit

He's not your friend, he's a revolting person

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think os refusal to credit the artist means anything other than he is too lazy to do it and prefers to keep Twitter posting snappy and fast.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I don't think os refusal to credit the artist means anything other than he is too lazy to do it and prefers to keep Twitter posting snappy and fast.
Nah I think he was going for a big edgy joke

Don't misconstrue that as me defending him, I think he's still a shitheel who doesn't want to credit artists but the way he tried to pass it off makes me think he tried to be funny

Ganransu

Nov 21, 2017
Nah I think he was going for a big edgy joke

Don't misconstrue that as me defending him, I think he's still a shitheel who doesn't want to credit artists but the way he tried to pass it off makes me think he tried to be funny
I'm sure artists around the world that often have their works posted on social media without being credited fully appreciated his humour. If not, they're just not in on the joke.

Nah, he was just being a big manbaby because someone called him out, and being the absolute perfection that he sees himself as, any slight is too much.

How does one be so rich yet so fragile?

Of course he wasn't out to maliciously hurt the artist -if he was, he could do way worse, what with his rabid fanbase-, but him being a massive manbaby shouldn't be arguable, I mean it has been demonstrated over and over. The man doesn't hide that he can't take a tiny bit of criticism.

I don't see the point in trying to paint him as a "harmless joker" or "too lazy to credit someone(like that takes any freaking effort)", when the obvious answer is that he's a gigantic manbaby.

You know, even if I take a million steps back and concede edgelord Musk was making a joke, he could've still credited the artist after his epically funny quip about how doing something right would kill Twitter.

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
You just know that he has to be part of the choosing beggars as well, I have no doubt that he has contacted some artist online and asked for free art for exposure.

I have no proof of it but you can just tell by the type of person he is.

There has been quite a few artists on Reddit , Twitter, Devisnt Art etc who have said they have been contacted by someone famous in charge of a large company and many people would know them except for obviously reasons they weren't going to name & shame them, anyway asked for Art for their company for free to be exposed to millions of people. It wouldn't surprise me if this was Musk in at least one of those examples.

Always credit the Artist when they are known you Bum!

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I'm sure artists around the world that often have their works posted on social media without being credited fully appreciated his humour. If not, they're just not in on the joke.

Nah, he was just being a big manbaby because someone called him out, and being the absolute perfection that he sees himself as, any slight is too much.

How does one be so rich yet so fragile?

Of course he wasn't out to maliciously hurt the artist -if he was, he could do way worse, what with his rabid fanbase-, but him being a massive manbaby shouldn't be arguable, I mean it has been demonstrated over and over. The man doesn't hide that he can't take a tiny bit of criticism.

I don't see the point in trying to paint him as a "harmless joker" or "too lazy to credit someone(like that takes any freaking effort)", when the obvious answer is that he's a gigantic manbaby.

You know, even if I take a million steps back and concede edgelord Musk was making a joke, he could've still credited the artist after his epically funny quip about how doing something right would kill Twitter.
Chill out, I'm not trying to make him into a "harmless joker", you can be a gigantic fucking tool with an eggshell ego and still try to play stuff off as a joke when called out on it, these aren't mutually exclusive

And how do you take "I think he's still a shitheel who doesn't want to credit artists" to mean he's being "le epic harmless joker"? I do not like the dude and I don't buy for a second he's just "too lazy to make an effort on twitter", I think he's trying to get his nerd points for whatever dumb reason with shitty jokes and old anime references, and that he can also use those to deflect from the fact that he is a bad person. Me saying he's trying to joke is not endorsement in any sense

Last edited:

Metalmurphy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I thought about it, both people didn't credit the original Creator... You can argue that there was more work involved in her part then Elons, obviously, but both stole someone else's work. It doesn't matter if she drew that from scratch, coming up with the character itself is part of the creative process. He should have credited her, she should have credited Akihiko Yoshida, it's a bit hypocritical of her to complain about it when she didn't... Elon actually should have credited both.