• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
The mass unban wave of shithead conservatives who will then be able to tweet literally whatever they want with zero repercussion sure will be a sight to behold. 😒😒😒

And you know the first thing that childish troll Elon will do is give Trump a nice "Welcome back Mr President!" tweet.

Fucking hell, I hope this doesn't happen.

That would sink Twitter and all the people in charge know it.
Trump wasn't banned because of his politics

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Also for what it's worth, Twitter punches well above its weight in terms of discourse vs actual usage. It's a massive social media platform but also the *least* massive (against FB and YouTube, at least) by quite a bit. It's basically all Millennials.

A big reason it gets so much traction is because the entire news media is on it and addicted to it.
I agree, and it is massive in news media and politics for good reason. You will reliably find breaking news on twitter faster than anywhere else.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
That would sink Twitter and all the people in charge know it.
Trump wasn't banned because of his politics
Do you really believe that Musk and these other dipshits think that way? In their minds they are the oppressed and marginalized by us "liberal elites". They absolutely believe that conservatives on Twitter like Trump were banned simply for being conservatives.

Musk is so detached from reality that he's going to burn Twitter and his 50bil investment to the ground in a desperate attempt to hoard the love and attention of right wing loonatics.

Strike

Oct 25, 2017
The people in this thread that had no problem with this were probably not around for NeoGAF.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the Twitter board already turn down the offer?
The twitter board announced a 'poison pill' option that they could vote on if Musk (or anyone) purchased more than 15% of the stock without board permission and this could be used to inflate the price but I do not think it could stop him if he had enough purchasing power to swallow it.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
edition.cnn.com

Elon Musk says his offer to buy Twitter is about 'the future of civilization,' not making money

Elon Musk defended his offer to purchase Twitter on Thursday, saying during an on-stage interview at the TED conference that he sees the acquisition as nothing less than a turning point for civilization.

[he[ railed against what he saw as a lack of free speech on Twitter, and said Twitter should open-source its algorithm to increase transparency in the company's content moderation decisions. That would reflect a major shift in how Twitter operates.

"The code should be on Github so people can look through it and say, 'I see a problem here,' 'I don't agree with this,' they can highlight issues, suggest changes," said Musk.

lol.

Asked how he would change Twitter's content moderation, Musk explained that his test for whether a platform adheres to free speech principles is simple: "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? And if that is the case, then we have free speech."

Musk mused that if a tweet were particularly controversial, perhaps the company should not promote that tweet, but added, "I think we want to be very reluctant to delete things and just be very cautious with permanent bans; timeouts are better."

🤮

He's really going to go for it isn't he.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Not only is it "possible", but the structure of the tender offer probably makes it all-but-inevitable that it will happen.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this but was t the idea of the "poison pill" supposed to be the thing that prevents this? Like why would all of the sudden Elon going "I'm serious and I have the funding" change the original idea to prevent this exact thing from happening?

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
edition.cnn.com

Elon Musk says his offer to buy Twitter is about 'the future of civilization,' not making money

Elon Musk defended his offer to purchase Twitter on Thursday, saying during an on-stage interview at the TED conference that he sees the acquisition as nothing less than a turning point for civilization.
🤮

Notice he thinks his personal takeover and privatization is 'important to the future of civilization', he is a neo-fash accelerationist and cares nothing for democracy.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this but was t the idea of the "poison pill" supposed to be the thing that prevents this? Like why would all of the sudden Elon going "I'm serious and I have the funding" change the original idea to prevent this exact thing from happening?

The poison pill doesn't make it impossible for him to buy Twitter. It just makes it harder.

game-biz

Oct 25, 2017
Fuuuuck. Really don't want to have to deal with Trump's bullshit on Twitter again. Milo will undoubtedly be unbanned as well…

Crossing my fingers that Elon fucks off.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Poison Pill is a very dangerous move activated after Musk purchases more than 15% of the company , that allows anyone who wishes to purchase Twitter stock to get 2 stocks for the price for one. So, trading volume will skyrocket, but current stock owners will have trouble selling, and Twitter could end up really messing up their financials.

This does not stop Musk from purchasing stocks, just makes it harder for him to reach the required ownership stake to change the members of the board.

And board can still accept his purchase deal.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
At very least Congress should ask him to testify so he can explain why he's too broke to pay taxes on his stock but simultaneously can produce 50bil in financing for whim purchases.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
edition.cnn.com

lol.

🤮

Lol this shit is complete nonsense. What productive good would possibly come from open-sourcing a moderation algorithm for a multi-million user site? You would just have thousands of chuds throwing out pull requests to get the green-light to use every slur, death threat tactic, and other clown shit under the sun. I would not envy whatever poor sap whose job it would be to actually comb through that shit lol.

His litmus test for what's allowed is also just stupid BS. "Anything and everything" would be a cleaner statement because that's effectively what it is. Like under his proposed test I could HYPOTHETICALLY setup an automated Twitter account that every hour describes a new way I wish I could cause bodily harm to Elon Musk if given the chance in gross detail. Surely that would be something he wouldn't not like, and therefore, should definitely be allowed!!

I barely use this shit site as it is anymore to be fair, but I absolutely will dump what little ties of it I have left if he buys it.

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Is there anything the government can do to prevent the buyout?
Probably not--at least not in the US. Historically, anti-trust law is only used against businesses, not the humans who own the business as shareholders. For example, back in the early days of the Sherman Antitrust Act, there were several huge conglomerates that were basically controlled by 1 human each. After antitrust enforcement, the US government broke up the companies into many pieces, but share ownership remained with the same humans as before.

Another difficulty is that Musk does not own significant parts of social media companies, or anything that would vertically integrate with them in a meaningful way.

Musk owning 100% of Twitter may get the US government to scrutinize the monopoly social media companies have, and they may break up the tech giants. That would be a good outcome. But I am not aware of anything that suggests they can stop Musk from owning Twitter.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be a shame to close my account that I've had since 2007, but also life without twitter might be nice.

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh, not looking forward to this new Twitter at all. Musk's also probably going to fire a whole ton of people currently at the company given his prior comments, yeah?

Would be nice if there could be a successful mass exodus to somewhere else, although no idea where.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Probably not--at least not in the US. Historically, anti-trust law is only used against businesses, not the humans who own the business as shareholders. For example, back in the early days of the Sherman Antitrust Act, there were several huge conglomerates that were basically controlled by 1 human each. After antitrust enforcement, the US government broke up the companies into many pieces, but share ownership remained with the same humans as before.

Another difficulty is that Musk does not own significant parts of social media companies, or anything that would vertically integrate with them in a meaningful way.

Musk owning 100% of Twitter may get the US government to scrutinize the monopoly social media companies have, and they may break up the tech giants. That would be a good outcome. But I am not aware of anything that suggests they can stop Musk from owning Twitter.
The federal government could nationalize Twitter and buy it themselves, at a discount too by claiming imminent domain.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
There should be an open source platform that all social media apps can post too. A photo, video, text, it's not rocket science. These apps are all doomed as this will inevitably happen anyway, much like you can see embeded Tweets here. Social media platforms that don't support this will lose out on visibility.

This will happen whatever people think should or shouldn't happen with Twitter.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
edition.cnn.com

lol.

🤮

Aka I want to bring back Trump and delete any evidence with me and Epsteins wife.

Thisisme

Apr 14, 2018
Keep in mind, the ACLU thinks Citizens United is a good thing. It's why I stopped giving money to them.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
ACLU are absolutists, which you kind of have to be with their mission statement.

Nuance is not a thing with them. They're not political leaders that need to figure out the best place to be to lead from and drag society into progress.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
If this happens I guess I'll stop using Twitter. Sucks that all social media is owned by complete jackasses but I think Twitter will become the worst one with musk in charge

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine that your feelings on the ACLU will depend on what your feelings are towards the American incarnation of free speech to start with.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really wonder if Twitter collapses in of itself once conservatives are already to spout horrific shit without consequence. I can't imagine many people will stick around if it turns in TheDonald in short form.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Yep me too. Will be the kick I need to finish off twitter for good. I don't want musk verifying my humanity.

I was able to kick Twitter awhile back by just changing the timeline to be 'most recent' which, with everyone I follow, made it super boring.

I did change it back and got addicted, but if this happens I can reverse course and wean myself off through boredom.

Mathieran

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder how quickly someone will get banned for saying negative things about Tesla or SpaceX.

Maybe although I get the feeling it will be a completely unmoderated cess pool of bullshit. But I could see them making some exceptions for not saying bad things about musk.

Yep me too. Will be the kick I need to finish off twitter for good. I don't want musk verifying my humanity.

Yeah I've been on it increasingly less and I just started using it during the pandemic. But this would definitely be the last nail in the coffin.