• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

I Don't Like

Dec 11, 2017
Saw a take about how Elon would never just allow Twitter to become a right wing cess pool because that would drive away users and then twitter wouldn't be as profitable or have as good growth opportunity. Lol. Right. Pretty sure most of the people who say they'd leave wouldn't and then it would just be right wing shitposting, trolls, harassers, all the disinfo coming back with enough user retention that the platform would be fine but objectively much worse by every measure.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
it's more of "why is anyone allowed to have that much money" snark than a real question

bananabread

Oct 28, 2017
Let's say he actually wanted to buy Twitter (which I don't). Could he actually afford it?

Yeah yeah, "world's richest man". But not going by what's in his bank account. He's the richest primarily via the value of his Tesla stocks.
So if he wanted to buy Twitter, would he have enough money to do so or would he need to actually sell his Tesla and Space X stocks?

Which seems veeeery unlikely to happen.

Once you hit a certain level of obscene wealth, you stop worrying about ever selling any assets and instead just take out loans (at incredibly low interest banks are happy to offer in order to have you as a client) using your assets as collateral.

You don't pay any taxes on such 'loans' and get to keep possession of the assets that trend up in value over time, often at a rate that outstrips the interest payments. It's basically an infinite money glitch that allows the mega wealthy to keep their networth tax-free and pass it on to their children when they die.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate how expertly you've avoided engaging with any of the posts in this thread documenting his past actions and the various red flags surrounding this deal. Top notch stuff

I'm not saying Elon doesn't do stupid shit, or say ridiculous things, or act like an idiot sometimes. I don't always agree with him nor do I always like him. I'm not avoiding all the evidence of his stupid shit in this thread, I know he acts like a loon sometimes.

HOWEVER, he isn't a liar, and he only says things publicly when he means it. I do believe he tells the truth and is honest about where he stands and how he feels, for better or for worse (and I'd agree quite often for worse). So when he says he's not buying Twitter to make a profit but rather to ensure Twitter is a free speech platform, I take him at his word on that. Sure his definition of free speech won't agree with everyone. I don't want to see Trump unbanned nor do I think he should be, the man tried to overthrow the fucking government.

That said, I must admit I do think Twitter should be more transparent about it's algorithm, how it determines what is true or not, who to promote and who to ban, etc. There are a lot of large shady investors in Twitter who do not want free speech to exist on the platform, they want it biased. I like Elon's goal of making Twitter more open and transparent, but things aren't always black and white, there are shades of grey in this.

There's a lot of people calling me names and pointing fingers at me in this thread simply because I have an opinion different from the vocal majority. Isn't that the essence of free speech? To allow everyone to speak their mind respectfully even if it's not popular? I've not thrown any counter-insults nor engaged anyone attacking me because I don't want to derail the thread, but I find it interesting that so many of the people angry at Musk for his actions and calling him names are also the ones belittling me for voicing my differing opinion, and there have been a lot of assumptions made about me simply because I don't agree fully with the consensus here.

That's my two cents. Attack me if you feel the need, but don't expect me to engage in a poop throwing contest. All I wanted to do was engage in some respectful discussion about this Twitter stuff, maybe I shouldn't have bothered trying....

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
I'm not saying Elon doesn't do stupid shit, or say ridiculous things, or act like an idiot sometimes. I don't always agree with him nor do I always like him. I'm not avoiding all the evidence of his stupid shit in this thread, I know he acts like a loon sometimes.

HOWEVER, he isn't a liar, and he only says things publicly when he means it. I do believe he tells the truth and is honest about where he stands and how he feels, for better or for worse (and I'd agree quite often for worse). So when he says he's not buying Twitter to make a profit but rather to ensure Twitter is a free speech platform, I take him at his word on that. Sure his definition of free speech won't agree with everyone. I don't want to see Trump unbanned nor do I think he should be, the man tried to overthrow the fucking government.

That said, I must admit I do think Twitter should be more transparent about it's algorithm, how it determines what is true or not, who to promote and who to ban, etc. There are a lot of large shady investors in Twitter who do not want free speech to exist on the platform, they want it biased. I like Elon's goal of making Twitter more open and transparent, but things aren't always black and white, there are shades of grey in this.

There's a lot of people calling me names and pointing fingers at me in this thread simply because I have an opinion different from the vocal majority. Isn't that the essence of free speech? To allow everyone to speak their mind respectfully even if it's not popular? I've not thrown any counter-insults nor engaged anyone attacking me because I don't want to derail the thread, but I find it interesting that so many of the people angry at Musk for his actions and calling him names are also the ones belittling me for voicing my differing opinion, and there have been a lot of assumptions made about me simply because I don't agree fully with the consensus here.

That's my two cents. Attack me if you feel the need, but don't expect me to engage in a poop throwing contest. All I wanted to do was engage in some respectful discussion about this Twitter stuff, maybe I shouldn't have bothered trying....

He very publicly got in trouble for Tweeting he had secured funding for Tesla at $420 and had to agree to have the Tesla board vet his tweets

Are you ignorant of this or are you just lying

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
5ZaYPfM.png

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
There's a lot of people calling me names and pointing fingers at me in this thread simply because I have an opinion different from the vocal majority. Isn't that the essence of free speech?

... I mean, no? No, it's not?

If you believe that "free speech" is being able to say ridiculous things without pushback, then I guess I can see why you're backing Elon on this one.

I like Elon's goal of making Twitter more open and transparent.

Why are you just accepting that that's his goal?

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
HOWEVER, he isn't a liar, and he only says things publicly when he means it. I do believe he tells the truth and is honest about where he stands and how he feels, for better or for worse (and I'd agree quite often for worse).
He's literally lied publicly about situations involving his companies and consequently faced punishments by regulators.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
HOWEVER, he isn't a liar, and he only says things publicly when he means it.
That is 100% outright bullshit. Musk lies through his teeth all the fucking time.

What are you even talking about?

Isn't that the essence of free speech?
No.....it's not. But the fact you think it is explains a lot though when it comes to your ridiculous takes on all of this.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

I've seen some bad posts from Musk Stans before but WOW...

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
He very publicly got in trouble for Tweeting he had secured funding for Tesla at $420 and had to agree to have the Tesla board vet his tweets

Are you ignorant of this or are you just lying

Well he's clearly avoided this post. Just to elaborate.

edition.cnn.com

Here are the 9 things Elon Musk needs permission to tweet about in the future

Elon Musk now has a specific set of rules about what he can't tweet without first getting permission from a company attorney.

Elon Musk is not allowed to tweet about the following regarding Tesla.
  1. The company's financial condition, statements, or results, including earnings or guidance
  2. Potential or proposed mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, tender offers or joint ventures
  3. Production numbers or sales or delivery numbers (whether actual, forecasted or projected) that have not been previously published via pre-approved written communications by the company....or deviate from previously published official company guidance
  4. New or proposed business lines that are unrelated to then-existing business lines (presently included vehicles, transportation and sustainable energy products
  5. Projection, forecast, or estimate numbers regarding the company's business that have not been previously published in official guidance
  6. Events regarding the company's securities (including Musk's acquisitions or disposition of the company's securities) credit facilities or financing or lending arrangements
  7. Nonpublic legal or regulatory filings or decisions
  8. Any event requiring the filing of a form 8-K by the company
  9. Under the agreement, Tesla's board can also determine any other topics for which Musk must get prior approval before tweeting
Totally trustworthy guy.

Apr 2, 2021
remember when he was like "we have these little solar panels that look like roof tiles" and everyone said he was going to save the world and put them everywhere.

What happened to those tiles? This was about ten years ago.

Edit: Oh hey it looks like they actually make, sell and install the tiles and even recently updated the technology. I guess I'll have to put this one on the list of things Tesla did that weren't complete bullshit.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

The "essence of free speech" is that no one can come arrest you for saying something stupid. It sure as fuck doesn't mean we can't mock the dumb shit being said.

There's a lot of "differing opinions" that don't deserve an ounce of fucking respect, and that includes that the obnoxious asshole billionaire "has our best interest at heart."

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of people calling me names and pointing fingers at me in this thread simply because I have an opinion different from the vocal majority. Isn't that the essence of free speech? To allow everyone to speak their mind respectfully even if it's not popular? I've not thrown any counter-insults nor engaged anyone attacking me because I don't want to derail the thread, but I find it interesting that so many of the people angry at Musk for his actions and calling him names are also the ones belittling me for voicing my differing opinion, and there have been a lot of assumptions made about me simply because I don't agree fully with the consensus

There is no expectation of respect with free speech.

OneManBland

Feb 3, 2022
There's a lot of people calling me names and pointing fingers at me in this thread simply because I have an opinion different from the vocal majority. Isn't that the essence of free speech? To allow everyone to speak their mind respectfully even if it's not popular?

They are just using their "free speech" to critique yours. Free speech does not mean that everyone has to give you their time and their respect to listen to bad hot takes.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Well he's clearly avoided this post. Just to elaborate.

edition.cnn.com

Here are the 9 things Elon Musk needs permission to tweet about in the future

Elon Musk now has a specific set of rules about what he can't tweet without first getting permission from a company attorney.

Elon Musk is not allowed to tweet about the following regarding Tesla.
  1. The company's financial condition, statements, or results, including earnings or guidance
  2. Potential or proposed mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, tender offers or joint ventures
  3. Production numbers or sales or delivery numbers (whether actual, forecasted or projected) that have not been previously published via pre-approved written communications by the company....or deviate from previously published official company guidance
  4. New or proposed business lines that are unrelated to then-existing business lines (presently included vehicles, transportation and sustainable energy products
  5. Projection, forecast, or estimate numbers regarding the company's business that have not been previously published in official guidance
  6. Events regarding the company's securities (including Musk's acquisitions or disposition of the company's securities) credit facilities or financing or lending arrangements
  7. Nonpublic legal or regulatory filings or decisions
  8. Any event requiring the filing of a form 8-K by the company
  9. Under the agreement, Tesla's board can also determine any other topics for which Musk must get prior approval before tweeting
Totally trustworthy guy.

So lying it is then

Jam

Oct 25, 2017

You're completely misinterpreting free speech, much in the way the far right does and uses it as a shield. And that is why that interpretation is dangerous.

You, and everyone else, has the freedom to speak their mind - BUT the key part is everyone else does and therefore publicly stating something means you can be publicly pushed back on if and criticised. It's a forum. Free speech doesn't equal you can blindly make statements and they are facts that cannot be replied to.

Secondly platforms don't have to adhere to allowing you on their space. If you say something unsavoury Twitter can ban you and that should be the case; these entities should have their own more stringent guidelines. Because Twitter is a major communicative tool you don't have a constitutional right to have access to it or to have a large audience. Twitter censoring you doesn't infringe on your free speech.

In regards to Musk's intentions and the current Twitter situation. Here's questions for you. What political leaning do you think Twitter is biased in favour of? Do you believe "shady stockholders" are intentionally requesting the algorithm is designed to boost certain political views? Do you believe public or private companies offer more transparency? Do you not think Elon's intentions are to allow libel and more hate speech in general unmoderated content to rise?

I think your interest/love of Elon is blinding your critical thinking in this scenario. Elon Musk doesn't have your or democracies best interests at heart.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
Some folks--i.e., people with a strong authoritarian streak--just look up to and identify with powerful, wealthy men, for whatever reason. Even the ones who aren't outright cultists about it can't seem to help themselves from defending them in some capacity; as if powerful, wealthy men are even in need of defending. Many of our species just really lack imagination if nothing else, I guess, if they can't foresee a better place for themselves in life's pecking order than to expend their energies in being their distant heroes's unknown and invisible advocates. 🤷‍♀️

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
To think even people here in ERA defend Musk. Like, if you honestly believe the pedo guy isn't a liar and wants to buy Twitter to protect the free speech of everyone, I don't know what to say. Heads up: he isn't the knight in shining armor that you want to believe he is. Musk is a piece of shit and a manchild.

You should listen to the episodes of Behind the Bastards about Musk. And that was in 2020. That doesn't include what we learned about the abuses inside Tesla that we learned either this or last year.

TaterTots

Oct 27, 2017
It's only a dumpster fire if you surround yourself with trash. There's every kind of content you could think of on there, from high brow to the lowest. Sure, if you're just using their first-party client to consume it it's pretty bad because of the algorithmic fuckery going on, but 3rd party clients don't have to abide by that.

What do you mean 3rd party clients? New to me.

Harp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The amount of people that are so horrified by this blows my fucking mind.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean 3rd party clients? New to me.

So there are mobile apps which are allowed to use Twitter's APIs, but they're free to use their own UI and they also don't have to show ads, promoted tweets, weird timelines, etc. The way you can consume tweets on those clients is more like how Twitter was 10 years ago, basically chronologically and only the people you follow (or whom they retweet). If you search the various app stores you'll find a whole load of them, of varying quality.

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
I like neither Twitter nor Elon Musk's free speech = no responsibility stance.

But I do think competition for Twitter would be good. It seems to hold a level of dominance in the same way YouTube does for videos.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
A guy who posts Hitler memes, runs a racist workplace and randomly calls people pedophiles has good intentions? Ha

I'm sure Elon's hypothetical "free speech" Twitter will welcome criticism of him and his companies lol.

What makes you think Elon Musk would be the one to make Twitter "more open and transparent", considering his actions and behaviour in the past?

Everyone clamouring for "free speech" wants their shitty views uncensored while views they disagree with silenced. Every time. The "freedom" they're talking about isn't yours.
Musk and his shitposting is the problem with Twitter, and people believe he's the solution?
It's having the fox guard the henhouse.