• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
Damn I was making the thread!
Great potential for people with disabilities. The size factor is a great innovation.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Fucking awesome.

Give me some banana smoothie for playing mind pong please

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
He's really hooked on that banana.

Makes you wonder how far this can be pushed. If they can translate hand movements maybe the can do the same with something you want to write as well

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Soon, they'll be able to do in real life what they did to Batgirl in the comics and staple probes into people's spinal column to afford them use of their legs.

Hazmat

Banned
Dec 3, 2020
The obvious endpoint of this is a monkey chauffeur that drives your Tesla with his mind.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I'm confused. How is he controlling the Pong game? Eye tracking? I don't see anything hooked up to the monkey that would be reading it's brain... or this neuralink can read the brain waves without any device attached?

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
One thing I just realized may be an issue, how do you now have a delay between imagining taking an action and doing it? You can't play out touching something in your mind without actually doing the action? In the case of thought to text would it come out without a filter?

Lube Man

Alt-Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2021

Monkey's Paw will have a new meaning.

EDIT: Me taking a shit on Neuralink:

lS9ZboB.gif

Last edited:

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
I'm confused. How is he controlling the Pong game? Eye tracking? I don't see anything hooked up to the monkey that would be reading it's brain... or this neuralink can read the brain waves without any device attached?
The device is implanted under the skin of his skull. It has the size of a big coin and they have to cut out part of the skull. Here's a couple of images:

Tokyo_Funk

Banned
Dec 10, 2018
Ah yes, but can he get them conneted to thousands of keyboards to write the greatest novel known to man?

Yuli Ban

Feb 1, 2021
Neurotechnology is the biggest trend no one's aware of. It's advancing at a shocking rate. It's probably going to be the "world wide web" of the 2020s, that fledging technology that explodes as time goes on that no one saw coming.

Beyond Neuralink, we also have Kernel and Stentrode:

www.kernel.com

kernel | Announcing Kernel Flux: the World’s Most Powerful Neural Interface

Kernel is making neuro measurement mainstream. We are a world-class team of engineers, neuroscientists, physicists and operators working to usher in a new era for the brain and mind.
OfEPLlN.jpg

newatlas.com

Brain implant allows mind control of computers in first human trials

Human trials for a first-of-a-kind device designed to treat the brain via electrical stimulation have brought some very promising results. Called Stentrode, the implant has the potential to treat a wide range of neurological conditions, but in these very first trials, has brought about significant…
LSAvexT.jpg

And I know Openwater is still active, but they haven't announced anything recently.

What's funny is that science fiction completely dropped the ball here. I mean it's fairly rare to find any sci-fi that shows off near-future neurotech. Whenever it comes to control and manipulation of digital objects, we have a tendency to default to voice and gesture recognition, and my hypothesis is because they're "easier" to understand as well as less esoteric— we tend to see anything involving brain-controlled technology/mechanisms as just a little bit too "magical." The asymptote of capability we reached with EEG didn't help either, so even when people learn about neurotech, 99/100 they're learning about EEG and its stark limitations rather than something like MEG, fNIRS, or invasive measures. Considering science fiction is how the layman learns about the bleeding edge, I'll put money down that, by 2030, we're going to find the dearth of discussion about neurotechnology on the eve of its explosion to be downright embarrassing, akin to someone saying that humankind wasn't going to achieve powered flight for a million years circa 1902.

Last edited:

Regiruler

Oct 28, 2017
United States
I'd think it'd be more fun from a user perspective to have trigger other than hand movement signals and make it feel more like psychic power.

Midramble

Force of Habit
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
Neurotechnology is the biggest trend no one's aware of. It's advancing at a shocking rate. It's probably going to be the "world wide web" of the 2020s, that fledging technology that explodes as time goes on that no one saw coming.

Beyond Neuralink, we also have Kernel and Stentrode:

www.kernel.com

kernel | Announcing Kernel Flux: the World’s Most Powerful Neural Interface

Kernel is making neuro measurement mainstream. We are a world-class team of engineers, neuroscientists, physicists and operators working to usher in a new era for the brain and mind.
OfEPLlN.jpg

newatlas.com

Brain implant allows mind control of computers in first human trials

Human trials for a first-of-a-kind device designed to treat the brain via electrical stimulation have brought some very promising results. Called Stentrode, the implant has the potential to treat a wide range of neurological conditions, but in these very first trials, has brought about significant…
LSAvexT.jpg

And I know Openwater is still active, but they haven't announced anything recently.

What's funny is that science fiction completely dropped the ball here. I mean it's fairly rare to find any sci-fi that shows off near-future neurotech. Whenever it comes to control and manipulation of digital objects, we have a tendency to default to voice and gesture recognition, and my hypothesis is because they're "easier" to understand as well as less esoteric— we tend to see anything involving brain-controlled technology/mechanisms as just a little bit too "magical." The asymptote of capability we reached with EEG didn't help either, so even when people learn about neurotech, 99/100 they're learning about EEG and its stark limitations rather than something like MEG, fNIRS, or invasive measures. Considering science fiction is how the layman learns about the bleeding edge, I'll put money down that, by 2030, we're going to find the dearth of discussion about neurotechnology on the eve of its explosion to be downright embarrassing, akin to someone saying that humankind wasn't going to achieve powered flight for a million years circa 1902.

User output will be at that level, but it's my understanding that sensory input is the limiting factor. From what I understand this is the cusp of an explosion in control interface, but not to the degree of the internet where we see an explosion of experience availability. Safely reading from the brain is far easier than safely writing.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty freaky and potentially game changing for people with paralysis or other neurological disabilities

killerrin

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
"Makes" the monkey play Pong ... Or "let's" the monkey play Pong. One is terrifying, the other super cool.

Regardless, the tech is super cool. This technology would revolutionize so many things.

Last edited:

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
366.jpg

Oh this meme post feels very inappropriate coming after the post above this one.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Am I crazy for assuming that this technology is going to be horrible for all of us?

I just don't see corporations making this stuff to better our lives. Silicon Valley seems to destroy more than they create.

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Something about this seems off-putting, like from a game or something can't put my finger on it but I half expected the money to make a break for it.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
I'm not particular thrilled it being tested on an animal like this but this tech could be great for people with paralysis, amputations, or limited movement.

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm blown away tbh. That monkey was legit playing pong with his mind.