• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
carllentz.png

Oh this guy? Yeah he always gave me the skeevies. carl Lentz
Is that the Father from Far Cry 5?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
The combination of the picture choice, the quote used, the response written and the couple of emojis on the top seems a little befuddled. Its like a kidnappers letter of demands made of cut out letters version of an apology.
Everyone know the go to move is to open the Notes app and screenshot it

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
He should clarify. If he believes that people should be able to love who they want without judgement from their fellow man, why would he attend an institution that holds prejudices he disagrees with. I'm certain that there are other moral authorities that would be welcoming to him and his family regardless of his previous martial history that don't hold such outdated and prejudiced beliefs.

I agree, but the reason people don't do it is because the uncomfortable feeling of needing to include basically anyone who's Christian or Muslim that wields influence. The Catholic Church is still centuries in the past, most evangelical churches are just shit in general when it comes to most things (especially majority white American ones), and I would heavily count against the average mosque (I'm including whole world here btw) preaching homosexuality tolerance. Among so much other shit. Lot of powerful people who have dollars supporting some not so kind stuff is really common in the USA.

But I'm all for it. We're way past talking about religion's historical and ongoing role against many human freedoms we've evolved on in the past thousand+ years; since ancient texts crafted by "trustworthy men of X god(s)" told us really how we should all live... or usually suffer the consequences. Woe to the <continue scribbling in those you hate and find icky> people who finds themselves outside of the tribe.
And it persists to this day, crafting most of our laws and invading our lives.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
I am a touch confused- Why can't someone just find proofs as examples for substantiating Ellen Page's claim and refuting Chris Pratt's (to move forward the discussion given Pratt essentially refuted Ellen Page's by implying she is either mistaken/or a liar by way of personal anecdote)?
They've demonstrably been against marriage equality. A quick Google search will show that.

SugarNoodles

Nov 3, 2017
Portland, OR
I am a touch confused- Why can't someone just find proofs as examples for substantiating Ellen Page's claim and refuting Chris Pratt's (to move forward the discussion given Pratt essentially refuted Ellen Page's by implying she is either mistaken/or a liar by way of personal anecdote)?
Because the people on one side of the argument dont care in the slightest about reality or factual information. Do want a hint for which side it is?

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What Pratt is echoing is pretty much the "cocktail words" (as av club puts it) that Hillsong has always spouted, a half-truth. They may welcome gay people to their congregation, but they aren't welcome to take active roles as leadership, spokesperson, or even be employed in any capacity. It's a lopsided semblance of "community" at that point. Plus, with their questionable history, it's bad news all around.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
What Pratt is echoing is pretty much the "cocktail words" (as av club puts it) that Hillsong has always spouted, a half-truth. They may welcome gay people to their congregation, but they aren't welcome to take active roles as leadership, spokesperson, or even be employed in any capacity. It's a lopsided semblance of "community" at that point. Plus, with their questionable history, it's bad news all around.

"Hate the sin love the sinner" dressed up in 21st century bullshit.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018

Ellen Page's claims have long been proven and substantiated. What Chris Pratt is doing is calling all that fake news because they helped him with his divorce.

ninjabot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Atheist Era tried to tell y'all.

We tried to tell ya.

We forgive you, king.

(In all seriousness - Era is atheist central so I'm sure this will somehow be turned into something negative.)

Are you taking his word over the word of everyone else that has pointed out that his church was a homophobic organization? Because it already seems negative when we've got accounts of people mentioning the churches dealings in the past, then Chris coming out and denying it, but not proving the previous allegations were false. That's the negative part. We don't have to look for it. It's there already lol.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It's about how we live in a pluralistic society, and what we expect from others we disagree with. Do you think every Mosque out there should shut down? Because they are 99.9% anti LGTBQ+. Or refugees coming in from homophobic countries who carry with them fear about gay people?

Who is more persecuted? Who do we cut out? What do we expect from those who we fundamentally disagree with?

So basically you're here to defend homophobia as as simply a different opinion.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
It's about how we live in a pluralistic society, and what we expect from others we disagree with. Do you think every Mosque out there should shut down? Because they are 99.9% anti LGTBQ+. Or refugees coming in from homophobic countries who carry with them fear about gay people?

Who is more persecuted? Who do we cut out? What do we expect from those who we fundamentally disagree with?

We're not just shooting the shit at the lunchroom table; people have lost their lives over these "fundamental disagreements".

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Reminds me of when people shit on Obama back in the day because his pastor/whatever said incendiary things. A church doesn't make a person.

My faith is important to me but no church defines me or my life and I am not spokesman for any church or any group of people. My values define who I am. We need less hate in this world, not more. I am a man who believes that everyone is entitled to love who they want free from the judgment of their fellow man

History repeats itself.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Reminds me of when people shit on Obama back in the day because his pastor/whatever said incendiary things. A church doesn't make a person.

History repeats itself.

Nobody is saying that Pratt is defined by his church, but his membership and fellowship at such a church can only be seen as a tacit endorsement of their practices, no matter how you slice it (especially when he denies their nefarious behavior).

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018

History repeats itself.

This is a complete distortion of the issue. It's about Pratt endorsing the church and obfuscating the facts of what they actually do. He is endorsing their practices by calling Ellen Page a liar. No one is accusing him of being anti-LGBTQ, we're accusing him of giving cover to an anti-LGBTQ church. He could still attend the place and not try and discredit Ellen Page.

If I'm being honest, if he can't even ackowledge the receipts she has about their practices without leaving the church, maybe he should leave the fucking church. There's plenty of other places to worship Jesus Christ that believe in marriage equality, like the Episcobal church.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Again, is there any distinction between the church and his church? Is it possible the people who are a part of the physical location he attends don't have the same beliefs regarding things like homosexuality and same sex marriage?

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Again, is there any distinction between the church and his church? Is it possible the people who are a part of the physical location he attends don't have the same beliefs regarding things like homosexuality and same sex marriage?

That's entirely irrelevant if he still attends the church.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Is it? If the people leading the congregation he's a part of are accepting and supportive and don't do the "love the sinner" condescension garbage isn't that good?

What are you suggesting, exactly? That the church has changed? If the church was no longer anti-LGBTQ+, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017

History repeats itself.

it's fun because the things people got so mad about him saying were "America shouldn't bomb civilians" and "Americans need to stop worshiping their country like it's God"

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018

There is no distinction. The church is the church, every location operates the same way. It doesn't sound like you understand how churches really work.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What are you suggesting, exactly? That the church has changed? If the church was no longer anti-LGBTQ+, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I'm suggesting he could be telling the truth about his specific church and the people that run it and attend it. It wouldn't be surprising at all. Churchs of the same denomination can have different "cultures" based entirely on those attending and those leading it.

There is no distinction. The church is the church, every location operates the same way. It doesn't sound like you understand how churches really work.

See, this definitely isn't true.

OP
OP
Dalek

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm suggesting he could be telling the truth about his specific church and the people that run it and attend it. It wouldn't be surprising at all. Churchs of the same denomination can have different "cultures" based entirely on those attending and those leading it.

This is absolutely true for Hillsong. This isn't like a specific Lutheran church operating differently from a Baptist church.

This is more in line with the Church of Scientology which has deceptive and sinister practices while portraying a face of smiling goodwill-and every branch takes its marching orders from the top.

Do you think the Florida churches of Scientology operate differently than the ones in Los Angeles?

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is absolutely true for Hillsong. This isn't like a specific Lutheran church operating differently from a Baptist church.

This is more in line with the Church of Scientology which has deceptive and sinister practices while portraying a face of smiling goodwill.

Do you think the Florida churches of Scientology operate differently than the ones in Los Angeles?

I'm not so sure we can consider scientology a typical religion.

All I'm saying is I have no idea what the people leading and attending the specific church he attends believe. To suggest there's no chance this differs from whatever the larger organization's founders or leaders believe is strange. A church will often reflect the community it's in and there hasn't been anything invented that's more open to interpretation than religion so it's nothing if not malleable.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Hillsong isn't an entity with different denominations. That's not how global church networks operate; they're typically bound by a common creed and mission statement and have various implementations of their fundamental belief system. In the case of Hillsong, they're affiliated with the ACC and follow their constitution as the basis for their belief system, which you can read here:

https://www.acc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/UNITED-CONSTITUTION-MAY-2017.pdf

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I'm not so sure we can consider scientology a typical religion.

All I'm saying is I have no idea what the people leading and attending the specific church he attends believe. To suggest there's no chance this differs from whatever the larger organization's founders or leaders believe is strange. A church will often reflect the community it's in and there hasn't been anything invented that's more open to interpretation than religion so it's nothing if not malleable.

You have no idea what you're talking about in context of churches like Hillsong, and your desperation to give them the benefit of the doubt is suspect. Again, there are receipts.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hillsong isn't an entity with different denominations. That's not how global church networks operate; they're typically bound by a common creed and mission statement and have various implementations of their fundamental belief system. In the case of Hillsong, they're affiliated with the ACC and follow their constitution as the basis for their belief system, which you can read here:

https://www.acc.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/UNITED-CONSTITUTION-MAY-2017.pdf

Is there anything regarding same sex marriage or homosexuality in there?

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Is there anything regarding same sex marriage or homosexuality in there?

There isn't anything detailing a list of sins, just a full endorsement of every single word ever written in the bible, which obviously condones the condemnation of any sin, which would include homosexuality. They also believe in hell as eternal punishment.

Preamble The Holy Scriptures, known as the Bible, is the inspired Word of God and our all sufficient rule for faith and practice. These articles of faith of the Australian Christian Churches, grounded in these scriptures, are given as a basis for belief, fellowship and ministry "that we all preach the same thing" (1 Corinthians 1:10). Let it be remembered, however, that this is not given as a summary of the complete revelation of biblical truth, only that it covers our present needs as to these fundamental doctrines.

4.4 The Holy Scriptures We believe in the verbal, plenary inspiration of the Holy Scriptures, namely the Old and New Testaments in their original writings. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is infallible, inerrantly revealing the will of God concerning us all in all things necessary to our salvation, and is absolutely supreme and sufficient in authority in all matters of faith and conduct. The Bible does not simply contain the Word of God, but is, in reality, the complete revelation and very Word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit, so that whatever is not contained therein is not to be enjoined as an article of faith (Matthew 5:17-18; 24:35; John 4:39; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:19-21).

4.6 The Fall of Man We believe that man was created by God by specific immediate act and in his image and likeness, morally upright and perfect, but fell by voluntary transgression. Consequently, all men are separated from original righteousness, being depraved and without spiritual life (Genesis 1:26-31; 3:1-7; Romans 5:12-21).

4.7 The Atonement We believe that God's answer to man's sinful state is in the death of his Son, the Lord Jesus Christ, on the cross, whose sufferings and shed blood have made full atonement for the sins of the whole world, both original and actual, and that there is no other ground for salvation (2 Corinthians 5:18-21; Galatians 1:4; Ephesians 1:7; Colossians 1:14; Hebrews 9:25-26; 1 Peter 1:19-20).

4.12 Sanctification We believe that sanctification is an act of separation from that which is evil, and of dedication unto God. We believe it is the glorious provision for every believer in Christ to be made pure in heart and wholly sanctified, through the operation of the Holy Spirit, by the blood of Jesus and the Word of God (John 17:15-19; Acts 15:8-9; Romans 12:1-2; 1 Thessalonians 4:3-4; 5:23-24; Hebrews 2:11; 10:16-19).

4.18 The Punishment of the Wicked We believe in the everlasting punishment of the wicked (in the sense of eternal torment) who wilfully reject and despise the love of God manifested in the great sacrifice of his only Son on the cross for their salvation (Matthew 25:46; 13:49-50; Luke 12:47-48; Romans 6:23; 2 Thessalonians 1:8-9; Revelation 20:11-15). We believe that the devil and his angels and whoever is not found written in the book of life shall be consigned to everlasting punishment in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death (Revelation 19:20; 20:10-15).

This is a pretty bog standard conservative christian belief system, and according to that constitution, their views aren't really malleable, regardless of social progress. You should be able to figure out whether or not they support homosexuality based on how well you know the bible.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There isn't anything detailing a list of sins, just a full endorsement of the every single word ever written in the bible, which obviously condones the condemnation of any sin, which would include homosexuality. They also believe in hell as eternal punishment.

This is a pretty bog standard conservative christian belief system, and according to that constitution, they're views aren't really malleable, regardless of social progress. You should be able to figure out whether or not they support homosexuality based on how well you know the bible.

Every christian church lists those things. Is your position that no christian church accepts homosexuality or gay marriage?

That document also explicitly mentions autonomy.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Every christian church lists those things. Is your position that no christian church accepts homosexuality or gay marriage?

That document also explicitly mentions autonomy.

Not every church believes the bible is perfectly inerrant, no. You don't know what you're talking about. And there is no autonomy of the belief in fundamental truths, just logistics.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Every church does not believe the bible is perfectly inerrant, no. You don't know what you're talking about. And there is no autonomy of the belief in fundamental truths, just logistics.

They list those fundamental beliefs and none of them are gay people are bad or same sex marriage is a sin. You're starting at the conclusion and filling in behind you.

Nothing in that document suggest his statement about his specific church and the people in it is false. It can both be true that the founder said he doesn't support same sex marriage and that this specific church has leadership and a congregation that is perfectly accepting of it. One isn't evidence the other is a lie.

Oct 29, 2017
They list those fundamental beliefs and none of them are gay people are bad or same sex marriage is a sin. You're starting at the conclusion and filling in behind you.

Nothing in that document suggest his statement about his specific church and the people in it is false. It can both be true that the founder said he doesn't support same sex marriage and that this specific church has leadership and a congregation that is perfectly accepting of it. One isn't evidence the other is a lie.

Where's the evidence to support that this particular church is especially accepting of LGBT individuals when Hillsong as a whole has been documented as homophobic?

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

No. I just used to read the bible as a "practicing" christian growing up and happen to know it very well (even though I'm openly atheist now). If a church declares the bible wholly and perfectly inerrant, they believe that the bible is right when it says that homosexuality is a sin. If a church believes that homosexuality is not a sin, they do not believe that the bible is wholly and perfectly inerrant.

I've made no comments as to what the leaders of his church location said because it doesn't matter, as their church supports the constitution that supports the scriptures in the bible that the support the notion that homosexuality is a sin. It's just a matter of connecting the dots.

His statement that his specific church doesn't believe that.

Then he should update the Hillsong website.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I'm gay and was raised Catholic. Loads of Catholics use birth control, have abortions etc. People can belong to a church but not adhere to the dogma. Besides, spiritual beliefs are personal, no one should have to explain something that personal.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No. I just used to read the bible as a "practicing" christian growing up and happen to know it very well (even though I'm an atheist now). If a church declares the bible wholly and perfectly inerrant, they believe that the bible is right when it says that homosexuality is a sin. If a church believes that homosexuality is not a sin, they do not believe that the bible is wholly and perfectly inerrant.

I've made no comments as to what the leaders of his church location said because it doesn't matter, as their church supports the constitution that supports the scriptures in the bible that the support the notion that homosexuality is a sin. It's just a matter of connecting the dots.

Then he should update the Hillsong website.

The document you linked to felt it necessary to spell out specific fundamental tenants of their belief system. Why doesn't it just say "see bible" under that section of the document?

Nothing you've shown is evidence of how his specific church operates. It is 100% possible that the church leadership in Australia is homophobic, Chris Pratt isn't, and the congregation of the church he attends isn't either.

Rose Red

Oct 26, 2017
Well, I don't know how we can figure what we should believe... the recorded facts of the past behavior of this church or a meme picture of a sheep.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
The document you linked to felt it necessary to spell out specific fundamental tenants of their belief system. Why doesn't it just say "see bible" under that section of the document?

Nothing you've shown is evidence of how his specific church operates. It is 100% possible that the church leadership in Australia is homophobic, Chris Pratt isn't, and the congregation of the church he attends isn't either.

You've gotta be fucking kidding me:

4.4 The Holy Scriptures We believe in the verbal, plenary inspiration of the Holy Scriptures, namely the Old and New Testaments in their original writings. All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is infallible, inerrantly revealing the will of God concerning us all in all things necessary to our salvation, and is absolutely supreme and sufficient in authority in all matters of faith and conduct. The Bible does not simply contain the Word of God, but is, in reality, the complete revelation and very Word of God, inspired by the Holy Spirit, so that whatever is not contained therein is not to be enjoined as an article of faith (Matthew 5:17-18; 24:35; John 4:39; 2 Timothy 3:16-17; 2 Peter 1:19-21).

You've presented multiple bad faith arguments and continue to put your head in the sand when your points are refuted. I'm done engaging in this conversation. You're literally a troll.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Dismissing concerns surrounding homophobia and antagonizing other members; long history of trolling and disruptive behavior
You've gotta be fucking kidding me:

You've presented multiple bad faith arguments and continue to put your head in the sand when your points are refuted. I'm done engaging in this conversation. You're literally a troll.

Oh, literally a troll? Not figuratively?

I'm not the one approaching this with an agenda.