• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
According to the boss himself:

For perspective: if we assume the galaxy has exactly 400B star systems, then that comes out to 'only' about 144M systems explored by the community, which is still pretty damn impressive.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Pretty sure that is 0.036% more than actual humanity will manage before it wipes itself out.

So congrats Eltie Community.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
According to the boss himself:

For perspective: if we assume the galaxy has exactly 400B star systems, then that comes out to 'only' about 14B systems explored by the community, which is still pretty damn impressive.

Most of the galaxy is pretty boring (that applies to the real one too). In a procedural system, It's an interesting factoid but I don't think that is at all impressive.

As others have noted, that small percentage is a lot of exploration.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Aaaah... I really wish I knew how to play this game. They added so much depth since launch and I'm still with my Sidewinder doing shitty missions

Impressive numbers though !

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've only ever flew in very populous parts of the world, but setting out farther away is something I want to do sometime.
For perspective: if we assume the galaxy has exactly 400B star systems, then that comes out to 'only' about 14B systems explored by the community, which is still pretty damn impressive.
I think you mean 14M.
EDIT: Nevermind, OP edited.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I really need to get back into the game.
The sheer scale of everything in the game was always great.

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair this figure would be a lot higher if 99% of the player base were not still stuck in their first station scratching their head trying to figure out how to start their bloody ship /s

Acorn

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I really wanted to get into it, then I spent like half an hour trying to park my spaceship because I suck lol

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I always come back to Elite Dangerous here and there, and still don't know what half the things in the game are. Thankfully the Q4 update last year made it a LOT easier to find things, it was the most fun I've had with the game.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
You mean to say that they delivered on No More Sky's sales pitch before that was even out?

Oh wait, I assume you only traverse the outer space in Elite, right? Because if not, then I have to wonder why more people don't talk about this game.
Kinda. But the planets in Elite are mostly barren rocks. The pitch in NMS was that there was variety on planet ecosystems.

It does reflect a different focus. In NMS, space is mostly an addendum, the opposite is true of Elite. The latter has much more robust game systems and mechanical complexity, which will scare off a lot of people.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
You mean to say that they delivered on No More Sky's sales pitch before that was even out?

Oh wait, I assume you only traverse the outer space in Elite, right? Because if not, then I have to wonder why more people don't talk about this game.

They added ground exploration in the Horizons expansion, but the game is niche because it's incredibly slow and somewhat simmy. The space combat alone is a lot more complicated than point and shoot. And at the time it required a pretty beefy PC to run at full spec.

OP
OP
Fiery Phoenix

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017

You can land on planets and stuff, though that wasn't added until a post-launch expansion.

There's tons of videos on YouTube showing the game, some pretty spectacular.

Oct 28, 2017
Wait, is this world procedurally generated?

I don't think there'd be enough man hours in the world to handcraft this.

They use data regarding what we do know about the galaxy to generate real planets and conditions akin to what you'd find on them. Its a nice bonus so that the stuff we don't know anything about doesn't end up boring as fuck.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty boring, the planets are just barren balls of rocks

I really wanted to get into it, then I spent like half an hour trying to park my spaceship because I suck lol
Docking is harder then Dark souls, espeically with a controller.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
We'll eventually find the Thargoid's homeworld and when we do:

giphy.gif

dsk1210

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh UK
I always go back into Elite for a quick shot and always end up getting back into it fo4 a couple of weeks until I burn myself out.

Amazing space sim.

Took a long time to fully get to grips with it though.

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It really is a gorgeous game. I would recommend it for anyone if it wasn't so damn hard and unforgiving.
Hey, the first hour or so where you learn the controls and flail around trying to dock was one of my favorite parts of the game!

Because of this thread, I started the game again after not playing for a long time. Actually, first time I play with the Horizon expansion, only bought it about a month ago.

Tayaya

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Do I still need a docking computer to dock? :P

You never "needed" one. I actually didn't know it was an option to add onto the ship for some time after I started playing. It was incredible once I figured out that I could just press a button and watch my ship dock itself, but I still like to manually set it down most of the time because it's fun! At least...until you hit something.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
I need to get back into this. Elite Dangerous is the one game I felt was perfect for the Steam controller.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I really really want to learn how to play it. I don't think I am smart enough to figure it out.

Tried it and blew up my ship trying to dock in a space station. Finally got going and ended up drifting aimlessly in space after over-shooting the planet I was attempting to visit. Its definitely not a game for the casual space explorer.

MistaTwo

SNK Gaming Division Studio 1
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Tried it and blew up my ship trying to dock in a space station. Finally got going and ended up drifting aimlessly in space after over-shooting the planet I was attempting to visit. Its definitely not a game for the casual space explorer.

If you couldn't die a horrible death in a lonely corner of the galaxy because of your own mistakes, it would be an absolutely terrible space exploration game.

It's just part of the experience. Don't you get unlimited spawns of the starter ship?

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
If the game didn't gimp ships with little more than tiny single digit Ly jump drives, the amount of exploration would be much more than this.

When exploration gameplay in Elite consists of mindnumbing monotonous jumping from point to point, in tiny 60Ly max. jump ranges, where it takes literal human weeks to travel to the Colonia colony, stats like this are just fucking meaningless.

I got burned out by how grindy this game was and how few shits the dev gave because they wanted nothing more than to pander to their hardcore fanbase that's still stuck in 1984.

StaffyManasse

Oct 28, 2017
I have hovered over the buy button so many times, but never got to it. How is it nowadays on a (launch) PS4 with no VR? Playable?

I did enjoy my time with Eve Online back in the day, so I'm not a stranger to games with learning curves as long as the feel is there and I suppose with Elite, it is?

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
If you couldn't die a horrible death in a lonely corner of the galaxy because of your own mistakes, it would be an absolutely terrible space exploration game.

It's just part of the experience. Don't you get unlimited spawns of the starter ship?

You can always respawn in a Sidewinder. One time I took a trip out to Colonia, I was too lazy to make the trip back. So I just suicided and respawned back in civilized space in a Sidewinder. I had more than enough credits to rebuy, so that wasn't an issue.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Oct 25, 2017
This game on PCVR with a hotas. So ridiculously immersive. Definitely the VR game I've put the most time in. I need to circle back to this game soon as I haven't really spent a whole lot of time exploring even though I've put hundreds of hours in.

PIMPBYBLUD

Oct 27, 2017
You have not truly mastered this game until you accidentally boost in a space station while trying to land. Bonus points if you smack into a wall.