• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Say goodbye forever to:

• All soups (includes ramen, pho, chowder, etc)

Votes: 500 20.3%
  • Hamburgers & sandwiches (yes, even hot dogs)

Votes: 91 3.7%
  • Pasta & noodles (ALL varieties *except* noodle-based soups and salads)

Votes: 156 6.3%
  • All barbecue (every global variety, including grilled or smoked dishes)

Votes: 325 13.2%
  • All tortilla-based dishes (includes hard corn shell dishes and tortilla chip dishes)

Votes: 519 21.0%
  • Pizza and pizza-like dishes (ie, calzones, pizza rolls, etc)

Votes: 129 5.2%
  • All curry dishes (anything that contains a curry powder)

Votes: 748 30.3%

• Total voters

nullref

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I love tortillas and tacos, I guess there are enough flatbread alternatives in the world to make that less of a sacrifice. Not sure I made the right choice though. Maybe I should have picked BBQ, as the most inherently meat-centric, though if you take it to mean anything grilled and smoked that gets tough.

The curry option is also a little weird to interpret, as that term gets applied to such a broad swath of dishes. I'm not sure what spice mixes qualify as "a curry powder"—just that specific spice mix that was (I believe) created for British export from India? If it's that, then that's an easy pick. Does garam masala and the like apply, or a Thai curry paste? Gets much harder then obviously.

Nov 8, 2017
This is the most insane poll result I've ever seen on Era. Pizza is complete trash compared to curry, but BBQ takes the cake as far as blandest food goes.

Deleted member 6263

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you ever need a reminder that the majority of Era has opinions not worth taking into consideration, here it is. I just can't with this poll lol

Oct 25, 2017
People voting on curry makes me wonder how common curry is in the US. Curry food is absolutely delicious and there is so much variation it's not even funny. Although I guess if we limit it to curry powder, then there are still many other options…

Personally I would do away with soups.
Curry isn't really a thing in the US. Outside of major cities, you would have to search for an Indian/Curry spot in most places.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
Curry leading feels pretty weird. Indian food is some of the best food on earth. And if we're being liberal with the interpretation of "curry" then most spicy dishes around the world fall under that umbrella. Suspect.

I got rid of BBQ because fuck your ribs, it's vegan time.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Pasta and noodles go away. They barely taste like anything themselves and the texture is kinda yucky, tbh.

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's obvious y'all just eat one type of curry at some shitty Indian restaurant that you go to cause their food is less than $8 and clearly tastes that way.

smocaine

Oct 30, 2019
Tortilla seems like the obvious choice to me, isnt it just a delivery vehicle with close enough subsitutes? Whereas curry/soup are the main event themselves, with so much diversity...

Night

Late to the party
Nov 1, 2017
Clearwater, FL
Plebs will vote soup because they never had a good one.

The real answer is all tortilla-based dishes, I bet even people who love tortilla wouldn't notice it's gone.

I'll start a war over doritos.

I'd notice. What am I going to eat salsa and queso wiith?

Tortillas are life.

It's obvious y'all just eat one type of curry at some shitty Indian restaurant that you go to cause their food is less than $8 and clearly tastes that way.

Nah. I'm seriously into food and I don't skimp. Curry can go.

OP
OP
echoshifting

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
As much as I love tortillas and tacos, I guess there are enough flatbread alternatives in the world to make that less of a sacrifice. Not sure I made the right choice though. Maybe I should have picked BBQ, as the most inherently meat-centric, though if you take it to mean anything grilled and smoked that gets tough.

The curry option is also a little weird to interpret, as that term gets applied to such a broad swath of dishes. I'm not sure what spice mixes qualify as "a curry powder"—just that specific spice mix that was (I believe) created for British export from India? If it's that, then that's an easy pick. Does garam masala and the like apply, or a Thai curry paste? Gets much harder then obviously.

Yeah I did try to be careful about how curry was defined but you are right, I should have specified that garam masala counts, Thai curries are included. Anything that uses that essential curry flavor profile that I believe originates from garam masala. Which is also going to hit some Chinese and Japanese dishes, Burmese, Indonesian, Malaysian, Vietnamese, Jamaican curried goat, probably others I am forgetting. It's a LOT of dishes.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
It's tortilla dishes, easiest choice I've ever made.

Even disregarding personal taste, it's simply the least diverse food type on that list apart from maybe pizzas (and there's no way in hell I'm picking that lol)

Absolutely staggered at curry having the highest number of votes

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
This was the hardest decision.
I had ti give up BBQ, because at the very least, if I decided to go vegan, I could do everything else.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Curry for me, Sancocho & Asopao are two stews that need to exist.

Last edited:

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
So get rid of stuff like pho, ramen, tortilla dishes, and curry dishes, but keep all the tighty whitey dishes like pasta, sandwiches, pizza and burgers? Era gonna Era.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
It's between barbecue and curry for me. I've had a lot of barbecue and at it's best it's been ok. I've had a small amount of curry and at it's best it's been ok. I'm going to assume there's better curry out there I haven't had yet, and will sacrifice a nice 4th of July hotdog for it.

Jan 11, 2018
As much as I hate to say it, I think pizza would be the easiest to live without on a global level.

Yup. I'd be glad to have it gone for health reasons, as delicious as it is haha.

Curry leading?! What the actual hell.
As much as I love burritos, I'm sorry
😢

Era lacks a refined taste palate

Thac

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Good bye paste. You will not be missed for the far superior foods in this list.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
Poll just tells me people here have never actually had good curry. They've probably never had curry at all.

gnomed

Oct 28, 2017
US
I picked tortilla because I'm not the biggest fan. Corn or flour, but I love me some hardshell or puffy tacos. All I'm saying is, can every taco stand or restaurant toast it for me automatically like when most fries are golden crisp. I hate having to ask all the goddamn time. This should be the default, I'll make everyone wait that extra minute.

But seriously I think the curry category should be expanded to spicy and include items like chili or chipotle mole. Although they don't taste the same, the flavor profiles are pretty similar especially when compared to a hamburger or hotdog.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Curry. Second Pasta. I really like curry but I don't eat it often. So I'd have no problem eliminating it.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Pizza is the least interesting and varied food on the list. Easy elimination.