• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Have a few questions about the Elgato Game Capture HD60 S

1. Do you recommend this for Switch, PS3, etc?

2. Does it come with it's own recording software built in or do I need to use OBS or something similar to it?

3. Any other recommendations?

Aomame

Oct 27, 2017
Do you recommend this for Switch, PS3, etc?
It will work well for the Switch, but the PS3 has HDCP protection on the HDMI signal. You could output to component then convert that to HDMI OR get a device that will simply strip HDCP from the signal. As far as I know, the PS3 is the only console with this restriction.
Does it come with it's own recording software built in or do I need to use OBS or something similar to it?
The provided Game Capture software is decent, but you're also free to use OBS or similar if you prefer it.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017

This will do fine for Switch, but PS3 has HDCP on it making capturing from HDMI often a chore or in some cases impossible. You'll want to get an HDMI splitter from Amazon that strips HDCP such as this. You'll want to look in the comments to see what people say about stripping it as it's not something that's supposed to be advertised.

2. Does it come with it's own recording software built in or do I need to use OBS or something similar to it?

Yes, it comes with the Elgato Game Capture software which has templates and is serviceable, but OBS will be the better choice.

While expensive, the PCI cards are usually faster.
www.elgato.com

Game Capture 4K60 Pro MK.2

4K60 HDR capture and passthrough. Refresh rates up to 240 Hz. Elgato 4K60 Pro lets you create the most stunning content on the planet. Period. Power your workflow with ultra low latency technology. Live stream to Twitch or YouTube while recording 4K HDR10

If you're just getting into capturing though, the 60S is fine.
While the 60S advertises with 'Instant' gameview, there's still a slight delay in the preview window that may be noticeable. I'd recommend looking at your display (monitor or tv) versus using the preview window.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
1. You would need some way to strip the HDCP protection to use it with a PS3, like certain HDMI splitters do.

2. Elgato has its own software if you don't want to use OBS, it's a bit more limited but it works.

- The latency for the game view on the PC is only a few frames, but can still be felt in fast-paced games. I'd use a second display for any serious gameplay, either using the passthrough HDMI output or a HDMI splitter.
- Speaking of the passthrough HDMI output, two things:
1. It will perform chroma-subsampling (422 I believe), so if you're particular about image quality I'd recommend using a HDMI splitter instead. If you're using a TV it might not be noticable.
2. The HD60S will only accept signals up to 1080p60 / non-HDR. If you wanna passthrough a higher resolution or HDR, consider the HD60S+. (I believe the HD60S+ will also do passthrough without chroma-subsampling, unsure).

JustJosh

Dec 11, 2018
Wisconsin, USA 🐮
I use mine to play Switch and PS4 on my Mac monitor (which lacks an HDMI input), and it works well enough. Switch input can be a bit laggy for some reason.

Keep in mind it and the upgraded HD60 S+ only do a max of 1080p: the HD60S+ does passthrough of 4k, not recording or preview.

OP
OP
BasilZero

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
It will work well for the Switch, but the PS3 has HDCP protection on the HDMI signal. You could output to component then convert that to HDMI OR get a device that will simply strip HDCP from the signal. As far as I know, the PS3 is the only console with this restriction.

The provided Game Capture software is decent, but you're also free to use OBS or similar if you prefer it.

Yeah I would prefer not using OBS due to issues of the output video not working properly on my Sony Vegas ;(

This will do fine for Switch, but PS3 has HDCP on it making capturing from HDMI often a chore or in some cases impossible. You'll want to get an HDMI splitter from Amazon that strips HDCP such as this. You'll want to look in the comments to see what people say about stripping it as it's not something that's supposed to be advertised.

Yes, it comes with the Elgato Game Capture software which has templates and is serviceable, but OBS will be the better choice.

While expensive, the PCI cards are usually faster.
www.elgato.com

Game Capture 4K60 Pro MK.2

4K60 HDR capture and passthrough. Refresh rates up to 240 Hz. Elgato 4K60 Pro lets you create the most stunning content on the planet. Period. Power your workflow with ultra low latency technology. Live stream to Twitch or YouTube while recording 4K HDR10

If you're just getting into capturing though, the 60S is fine.
While the 60S advertises with 'Instant' gameview, there's still a slight delay in the preview window that may be noticeable. I'd recommend looking at your display (monitor or tv) versus using the preview window.

Thanks for the tip!

Also yes I only want to capture/record - not stream

Not gonna watch through the computer but from the console side (both are on the same tv so hopefully that won't be a issue) - if it is I can get a separate monitor on the side for th

1. You would need some way to strip the HDCP protection to use it with a PS3, like certain HDMI splitters do.

2. Elgato has its own software if you don't want to use OBS, it's a bit more limited but it works.

- The latency for the game view on the PC is only a few frames, but can still be felt in fast-paced games. I'd use a second display for any serious gameplay, either using the passthrough HDMI output or a HDMI splitter.
- Speaking of the passthrough HDMI output, two things:
1. It will perform chroma-subsampling (422 I believe), so if you're particular about image quality I'd recommend using a HDMI splitter instead. If you're using a TV it might not be noticable.
2. The HD60S will only accept signals up to 1080p60 / non-HDR. If you wanna passthrough a higher resolution or HDR, consider the HD60S+. (I believe the HD60S+ will also do passthrough without chroma-subsampling, unsure).

Don't really care for HDR and my recording at 1080p /60 fps is fine - not gonna record in 4k now

I use mine to play Switch and PS4 on my Mac monitor (which lacks an HDMI input), and it works well enough. Switch input can be a bit laggy for some reason.

Keep in mind it and the upgraded HD60 S+ only do a max of 1080p: the HD60S+ does passthrough of 4k, not recording or preview.

1080p is fine for me

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Don't really care for HDR and my recording at 1080p /60 fps is fine - not gonna record in 4k now
Sure, the point I was making is that you can't play at 1440p/4K/HDR/120Hz etc on the TV and record at 1080p60, you'd have to lower the console's display resolution to 1080p. For Switch and PS3 this obviously wouldn't be an issue.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I would prefer not using OBS due to issues of the output video not working properly on my Sony Vegas ;(

Is the video you're getting from OBS a .flv? If so, you can remux it to a .mp4 and even set it up to automatically do that after you're done recording. Not sure if this is your issue but figured I'd toss something out.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Some video editors don't play nice with variable frame rate, if this is the case then in OBS this is something you change. Unsure about how Elgato's software handles video recordings.

OP
OP
BasilZero

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Sure, the point I was making is that you can't play at 1440p/4K/HDR/120Hz etc on the TV and record at 1080p60, you'd have to lower the console's display resolution to 1080p. For Switch and PS3 this obviously wouldn't be an issue.

Ahh - I play at 1080p either ways so that's not a issue at all.

Is the video you're getting from OBS a .flv? If so, you can remux it to a .mp4 and even set it up to automatically do that after you're done recording. Not sure if this is your issue but figured I'd toss something out.

I tried it but it's still not working :(

I have to use a third party app like handbrake to convert the video - even after that it's a bit of a hassle

I know people say not to use FRAPS but I seem to have no issue with that ironically other than the large file sizes 😂

Some video editors don't play nice with variable frame rate, if this is the case then in OBS this is something you change. Unsure about how Elgato's software handles video recordings.

Where would I go to change that? Sorry still new to OBS and ya that's why I want to know how the recordings come out from Elgato

I have no issues using FRAPs for my PC or the PS4's internal recording software but OBS seems to be a issue

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Where would I go to change that? Sorry still new to OBS and ya that's why I want to know how the recordings come out from Elgato

I have no issues using FRAPs for my PC or the PS4's internal recording software but OBS seems to be a issue
Sorry, looking it up now seems I misremember the settings here, or they've changed over time. OBS should be using constant frame rate (CFR) unless you add custom encoder options in the text field.

What's the issue with Vegas, does the file not open at all or do you have desync problems?

OP
OP
BasilZero

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Sorry, looking it up now seems I misremember the settings here, or they've changed over time. OBS should be using constant frame rate (CFR) unless you add custom encoder options in the text field.

What's the issue with Vegas, does the file not open at all or do you have desync problems?

It won't let me drop the media into the editing portion of Vegas unless I convert it using a third party app like handbrake

Same thing happens to videos I record from my iPhone - I use handbrake to convert it but the output file still not perfect when editing - I mean the video file is, but takes a few seconds to catch up when I highlight a certain amount of video

Ironically recording from the PS4 and FRAPS provide me .mp4 videos and have no issues dropping them into Vegas or editing

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
What conversion are you performing in Handbrake? Should be able to set up the encoder in OBS to use the same settings.

If you're on PC there's a useful tool call MediaInfo that lets you right-click media files and examine the formats used in them, which could help you find the differences between the files that work and those that don't. https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Videophile

Tech Marketing at Elgato
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
San Francisco, CA

1 - The HD60 S can record from the Switch but NOT the PS3. The PS3, being the first blu-ray capable device had HDCP always turned on with no way to turn it off.

2 - Yes, it comes with its own software that makes recording super simple. The software has a feature called Flashback which is like a DVR that is always recording and once you have a clip you want to save you can hit record. My suggestion is always have our capture software running so you never miss a moment.

If you have any other questions im happy to answer them!

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I got an HDMI splitter on Amazon for $20 years ago that still works, and it strips the HDCP from the PS3 so I can record using HDMI. It works perfectly with the Elgato HD60 S. The HD60 S is a great device if you just want to record and play at 1080p 60 FPS SDR.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I use this card, it's been pretty serviceable for streaming. I actually play from the instant view and the delay hasn't been too noticeable, but it's mostly been RPGs and not anything like a twitch platformer that I'd probably use the pass through for.

OP
OP
BasilZero

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
What conversion are you performing in Handbrake? Should be able to set up the encoder in OBS to use the same settings.

If you're on PC there's a useful tool call MediaInfo that lets you right-click media files and examine the formats used in them, which could help you find the differences between the files that work and those that don't. https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

Video Codec: H.264 (x264)
FPS: 60
Constant Framerate

Thanks, will check it out.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I'm sorry for the necrothread, didn't wanna make a brand new one just to ask a question. If it's not okay, feel free to take actions.
I hooked up my Elgato HD S+ to the XSX, TV and PC, but i'm unable to play it on the TV if my PC is off. Is this intended behaviour? Do i have to keep my PC on all the time? Thanks

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry for the necrothread, didn't wanna make a brand new one just to ask a question. If it's not okay, feel free to take actions.
I hooked up my Elgato HD S+ to the XSX, TV and PC, but i'm unable to play it on the TV if my PC is off. Is this intended behaviour? Do i have to keep my PC on all the time? Thanks
The PC is powering the Elgato so you'll need to keep the PC on or disconnect it and plug the HDMI from the console straight into the TV as normal.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
The PC is powering the Elgato so you'll need to keep the PC on or disconnect it and plug the HDMI from the console straight into the TV as normal.

That's what i was suspecting. Is there any way to power it externally with the USB cable inserted in the PC? maybe a USB split of some sort

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
That's what i was suspecting. Is there any way to power it externally with the USB cable inserted in the PC? maybe a USB split of some sort
After reading your posts here, I wondered the same thing. So, I searched in Google and found these 2. Hope it answers your question (and mine).

help.elgato.com

Powering Elgato Game Capture HD60 via USB adapters or ports

Usually, Elgato Game Capture HD60 will get power from your Mac or PC, via the USB cable that also transmits video data.However, you can also turn off your computer, and use an USB power adapter wit...
help.elgato.com

Powering Elgato Game Capture HD via USB adapters or ports

Usually, Elgato Game Capture HD will get power from your Mac or PC, via the USB cable that also transmits video data.However, you can also turn off your computer, and use an USB power adapter with ...

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
After reading your posts here, I wondered the same thing. So, I searched in Google and found these 2. Hope it answers your question (and mine).

help.elgato.com

Powering Elgato Game Capture HD60 via USB adapters or ports

Usually, Elgato Game Capture HD60 will get power from your Mac or PC, via the USB cable that also transmits video data.However, you can also turn off your computer, and use an USB power adapter wit...
help.elgato.com

Powering Elgato Game Capture HD via USB adapters or ports

Usually, Elgato Game Capture HD will get power from your Mac or PC, via the USB cable that also transmits video data.However, you can also turn off your computer, and use an USB power adapter with ...
Thank you so much, yes! i couldn't find anything on their site, glad you could!