• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
elex-logo.png

ELEX is a handcrafted action role-playing experience from the award-winning creators of the Gothic series, set in a brand new post-apocalyptic Science Fantasy universe that puts players into a huge seamless game world full of original characters, mutated creatures, deep moral choices and powerful action.

Factions:

Berserkers
Wiping the planet clean, the meteor has given the people of Magalan a chance. The world can be regrown again. Having found a way to transmute Elex into pure Mana, the Berserkers are transforming Magalan's shattered wastes into lush, living woodland. Where the Albs bring destruction, the Berserkers offer true hope. As magic replaces technology, Magalan shall offer all its people a future. They are located in Edan.

Clerics
The site of the meteor's impact, Ignadon is riven by constant volcanic activity. Thought to be devoid of life, Ignadon was the perfect hiding place for the Clerics to grow in power. Followers of the god Calaan, the Clerics see the consumption of Elex in any form as a sin. Instead they use Elex to power their machines. Guardians of Magalan's technology, the Clerics put their faith in Calaan, plasma Weapons, mechs and the power of industry. From the ashes shall rise a new Magalan even more advanced than before.

Albs
Where the meteor destroyed, it also gave the people of Magalan their future – Elex. Harnessing its power for technology is only the start. By consuming pure Elex all the people of Magalan can be stronger, think clearer and free from emotion. Driven, focused, from their base in the mountains of Xacor, the Albs are reaching out to conquer Magalan. They claim that all Elex is theirs by right. The Albs are sure that only strength can save and the weak must be sacrificed for Magalan to survive.

Outlaws
A rocky, desert wasteland, Tavar is home to the Outlaws. Scavenging the ruins for weapons and equipment, the Outlaws will worship no god, they will not pledge themselves to the strict laws of the Berserkers, or surrender to a life of emotionless conflict. With the meteor came a chance for freedom, choice, a world where anyone can rise to the top. The Outlaws live by the motto, that life may be brutal, but it's free and easy, and that all shall be rewarded for their strengths.

[Will be filling this out as I can, but wanted to hopefully give players a place here to talk about the game]

Last edited:

deoee

Oct 25, 2017
Reposting

This game deserves better.

You can currently buy it for 10€ in the twitch launcher if you're an Amazon prime and twitch member:

https://www.amazon.com/ap/signin?clientContext=260-6128625-6988203&openid.pape.max_auth_age=900&openid.return_to=https://twitch.amazon.com/link?confirm=ALWAYS&returnUri=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitch.amazon.com%2Fprime%2Fsignup%2Fde%3F&openid.identity=http://specs.openid.net/auth/2.0/identifier_select&openid.assoc_handle=amzn_respawn_desktop_us&openid.mode=checkid_setup&siteState=clientContext=141-0525828-3688906,sourceUrl=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitch.amazon.com%2Flink%3Fconfirm%3DALWAYS%26returnUri%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Ftwitch.amazon.com%252Fprime%252Fsignup%252Fde%253F,signature=Hj2FRurUqUR4e32jDg0z3p3swk52cj3D&marketPlaceId=ATVPDKIKX0DER&language=de_DE&pageId=amzn_respawn_desktop_us&openid.claimed_id=http://specs.openid.net/auth/2.0/identifier_select&openid.ns=http://specs.openid.net/auth/2.0&ssoResponse=eyJ6aXAiOiJERUYiLCJlbmMiOiJBMjU2R0NNIiwiYWxnIjoiQTI1NktXIn0.kucq7rqJX7G7BhMbRoXOMFdbwRH1oXFM7AIx_KaxZKcelo5dxehx6Q.96jjndzw_40lsHSX.T3ixWieIquFOi20nh5C1NoXKlmn-3zVXTubQtk1d_yAS5WyWE7pUEli7wkhCqONHteIzvhQnslZxRUtw2O4EHfW1iR4k-lvKmCBJLeOa1Z8S6OFdigDyvCtJchX_DCYT0UcTaR6asYtDUfaWxpw97SC02Ek_luBeo_QiAkeQtWa2QxaszDn3b8edYpBLebqWGns9fUZGQ9qqUgX-3MywsJqja3djCeqEyZRhaGv8Aw5Bg_MealUbHPDZC894vh5oacc.-f4EzEnfhi-75pzdk-SqHQ link your account and then use

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/ELEX/details?no-mobile-redirect=true

Copied from

https://www.mydealz.de/deals/elex-u...p-fur-970eur-amazon-primetwitch-prime-1062901

zombipuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I've been keeping an eye on this game. It seems really up my alley. I've yet to play the old Gothic games properly, so perhaps I should start there.

Havel

Oct 25, 2017
It is a flawed gem, really great world design and exploration with choice and consequence in the story, progression is slow but meaningful.

But it has the typical PB jank and wonky combat with a very tough first couple of hours. The combat takes some getting used to, but it's way better than Risen 2 and 3.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
There was a quite big patch earlier.
Engine
- Crash fix for systems with more than 16 logical CPU cores.
- If savegame limit is reached, "Create new savegame" is hidden. (limit is 99)
- Fixed saving for all Windows user.
- Fixed some freezes in tutorials. The tutorial won't be shown if the corresponding key bindings are not valid.
- Fixed saving after the Big Bang fight was not possible.
- Fixed pink water on some older AMD/ATI graphic devices.
- Fixed game freeze when you try to interact during an evade roll.

Quests
- Fixed permanently angry NPCs.
- Kral has now a quest marker for the Mana shrine quest.
- Jax gets the correct award from Reinhold when joining the Clerics.
- Bullet and Lucy don't die immediately when they encounter an enemy.
- Fixed quest targets when fighting in the arena.
- Trevor now gives Jax the correct reward, depending on his actions.
- Mad Bob's dialogue is now in the correct order, taking the Jax's actions into account.
- Jack will change his daily routine if Jax killed Hopkins and his bandits. Furthermore, the dialogue regarding Volkmar's weapon now works properly.
- The quest involving Riley, Darrel and Paige is closed correctly now. (Might be necessary to sleep in a bed to trigger this fix.)
- Fixed a plot killer for a certain ending of the game. Talk to Logan twice, in case of having this issue in your save game.
- Bill will now return to his hut after the player killed Vance and talked to him about the situation.
- Martha will now not quit the dialogue, after Jax buys food from/trades with her - therefore she will now update the Legate situation if the player choses the ENDE/END dialogue option.
- If the player has joined the Clerics and talks with Darrell, he will now offer a quest for the player. If the player already spoke to Darrell and had only his standard sentence to say, he only must talk to Darrell again and then Darrell will offer the quest for the player.
- Nasty will no longer interfere in the battle between Player and Kid.
- Map Target Ethan/Volkmar will now be removed correctly during the mission: Scrap Delivery.
- Jack has now Volkmar's Weapon in his inventory.
- If you ask Jora if it's lawful to take the laser rifle, while he has a Smalltalk with Stormson, both should continue their Smalltalk. If this situation already happened, Jax must talk to Stormson again until he has nothing to say anymore and Jora will return on his Smalltalk routine.
- Now Angrim at waterfall is teleported back to his current daily routine point.
- Sometimes Stormson, Eli, Wolf and Oswald were at wrong positions. Now they are teleported back to their daily routine points.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Jax from joining the Berserkers.
- Fixed Crony U5 mission. Now he won't get lost in certain locations.
- Kallax gives additional main plot background information at showdown with him.
- Fixed some time related quests.

World
- Removed wrong weather zone in the Hort.
- Corrected some items that were stuck in the ground.
- Fixed some minor graphical issues with some of the Berserker armor.

Game
- Now party members will be more helpful during combat.
- Enemies now have better targeting. They shouldn't shoot at walls or objects anymore.
- Now there is an option to deactivate the double-click evade roll. To enable this option, you must assign a key to the evade option in the key bindings.
- Human enemies can attack with low stamina now. This should prevent some issues with enemies doing nothing while they have low stamina.
- Now you can transfer chunks of tens in the trade menu.
- Fix for haggler perk. You can buy every item now.
- Fixed helmets being in front of the camera while looting a chest.
- Exploit fix with crafting energy reserve.
- Fixed equipped weapons. They weren't destroyed when you salvage them.
- Fix where you get an 2h Hammer instead of an 2h Sword at the crafting table.
- Fixed duplicated key binding page.
- Fixed the needed skill to upgrade the chain saber.
- Fixed evade tutorial. It has caused a slow-motion effect for 10 seconds.
- Elex and Elex Potions now show a message that your Cold has increased.
- Fixed Perk Bookworm. Now you get XPs for reading letters and books. Reading Letters without the Perk will also give Jax some XP now.
- Party members don't move around when the player is in a dialog.
- Fix for some wrong loading hints.

Achievements
- "Honorary Citizen" is now given after 80h of playtime, not after 1h

Mindlog

Oct 25, 2017
That's a great price for the PC version holy crap. Really need to get a second PC in the living room.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Loved Risen and the first few gothic games. Decided to buy this and support these types of games. I'm downloading now, how is the controller support? I know the steam page shows it has it in full but was curious if there are any issues with it.

Deleted member 15123

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loved Risen and the first few gothic games. Decided to buy this and support these types of games. I'm downloading now, how is the controller support? I know the steam page shows it has it in full but was curious if there are any issues with it.
I personally think a controller works better given the UI. My only real gripe is that switching quickslot loadouts with RB can be a bit fiddly in the middle of a battle. I've also had to use MKB to target teleporters at the far edges of the map. Seems like a bug. But apart from that, I've had no problems at all playing with an XBOX360 controller on PC.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I personally think a controller works better given the UI. My only real gripe is that switching quickslot loadouts with RB can be a bit fiddly in the middle of a battle. I've also had to use MKB to target teleporters at the far edges of the map. Seems like a bug. But apart from that, I've had no problems at all playing with an XBOX360 controller on PC.

Alright great, I'll give it a shot. Have a ps4 controller but should work fine. Played for a bit, the game is beautiful even though the character models are a little rough.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I adored Risen, and was hoping this game would be good - but I wasn't expecting the Risen fans to like Elex even more than Risen. I'm seeing that comment everywhere.

I have way too many games on the burner at the moment - but man am I ever looking forward to playing this game.

smash_robot

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I got this today on the recommendation of Moff in the other Elex thread. Only an hour or so in, and I can tell I'm going to like it a lot.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I am presently suprised with some of these companion quests. Nastys took a turn I didn't expect, especially since I thought it was done. Then cajas keeps going and taking the world building to another place I didn't expect.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
It's available for pick-up at the library (and I think I'm the only one who cared). I liked the Risen games (well, 2 and 3 are the only ones I've played and beaten), so it was on my radar upon hearing about it.

Now that I've heard how difficult it is, I think I'm going to have to pass. I just don't have the time or patience.

Oct 26, 2017
Have about 7ish hours in now (level 6 iirc), still needing to run like hell from mobs both giant and human size alike.

I was excited to upgrade some of my junk weapons...only to find out the requirements went up to unusable levels. Guess I should have read the option more closely...oh well. Moved from the starting area over to the Eastern desert part of the map for some more exploration and scavenging, heading to the city there.

Fizzgig

Oct 30, 2017
This game had me hooked over the weekend. The combat and movement are janky, but I love the exploration and the branching story lines. I can't seem to stop playing it!

Shaldome

Oct 27, 2017
Aachen. Germany
Started it today. Only about two hours in , but liking it so far. Already thinking about what build/faction I am going to pursue. For factions I thin I will choose after I have visited them all and could make myself a picture of them.

Jank is definitely there in animations and such, but it doesn't bother me that much. Only irritating thing are the twitching boob, when talking to the woman.

Also it would be cool, if Kraken3dfx could flash out the OT a bit more, if he has the time. From what I have read, the game would deserve it.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
This seems to be running a lot better on Xbox One X than the S. It almost feels like it's running with an unlocked frame rate higher than 30.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
I've only managed about 5 hours, but am digging it so far, especially knowing this is the worst part of the game.

鬼作.

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Finished the game today and really liked it.

World design is still master class, Piranha Bytes is just really good at creating worlds that are fun to explore and Magalan is no exception. The difficulty curve is fucked though. Usually in PB games, you start out extremely weak and gradually become stronger until you are a god at the end of the game (the most satisfying aspect of RPG gameplay and the likes of Bethesda and Bioware can't get it right, thanks to level-scaling bullshit and coddling tutorial areas). But in Elex, I got a Plasma Rifle and went from being easily killed by 90% of the enemies in the game, to killing 90% of them easily. That splash damage firing mode needs a nerf, it's broken, like many other aspects of the game unfortunately.

The intertwined questlines were so good, questing in Elex for the most part is not just straightforward "do thing, get money and xp, move on". Doing a favor for someone often comes at the expense of someone else. You lie, it comes back to bite you in the immediate or far future in unexpected ways. You do something questionable to earn some quick cash, the city ends up dead and burning. That's some good roleplaying right there.

But I can't help but compare it to Gothic 2 because really, that's the fate of every PB game that comes after. And it's no Gothic 2. It's mechanically too broken right now and the world is just too big. What makes Gothic 2 a masterpiece is impossible to recreate in much bigger gaming worlds, I know that by now. Witcher 3 came the closest but it's still too different. Shit where is my Night of the Raven disc I don't want to replay vanilla G2.

bic

Oct 28, 2017
Reposting

This game deserves better.

You can currently buy it for 10€ in the twitch launcher if you're an Amazon prime and twitch member:

https://www.amazon.com/ap/signin?clientContext=260-6128625-6988203&openid.pape.max_auth_age=900&openid.return_to=https://twitch.amazon.com/link?confirm=ALWAYS&returnUri=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitch.amazon.com%2Fprime%2Fsignup%2Fde%3F&openid.identity=http://specs.openid.net/auth/2.0/identifier_select&openid.assoc_handle=amzn_respawn_desktop_us&openid.mode=checkid_setup&siteState=clientContext=141-0525828-3688906,sourceUrl=https%3A%2F%2Ftwitch.amazon.com%2Flink%3Fconfirm%3DALWAYS%26returnUri%3Dhttps%253A%252F%252Ftwitch.amazon.com%252Fprime%252Fsignup%252Fde%253F,signature=Hj2FRurUqUR4e32jDg0z3p3swk52cj3D&marketPlaceId=ATVPDKIKX0DER&language=de_DE&pageId=amzn_respawn_desktop_us&openid.claimed_id=http://specs.openid.net/auth/2.0/identifier_select&openid.ns=http://specs.openid.net/auth/2.0&ssoResponse=eyJ6aXAiOiJERUYiLCJlbmMiOiJBMjU2R0NNIiwiYWxnIjoiQTI1NktXIn0.kucq7rqJX7G7BhMbRoXOMFdbwRH1oXFM7AIx_KaxZKcelo5dxehx6Q.96jjndzw_40lsHSX.T3ixWieIquFOi20nh5C1NoXKlmn-3zVXTubQtk1d_yAS5WyWE7pUEli7wkhCqONHteIzvhQnslZxRUtw2O4EHfW1iR4k-lvKmCBJLeOa1Z8S6OFdigDyvCtJchX_DCYT0UcTaR6asYtDUfaWxpw97SC02Ek_luBeo_QiAkeQtWa2QxaszDn3b8edYpBLebqWGns9fUZGQ9qqUgX-3MywsJqja3djCeqEyZRhaGv8Aw5Bg_MealUbHPDZC894vh5oacc.-f4EzEnfhi-75pzdk-SqHQ link your account and then use

https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/ELEX/details?no-mobile-redirect=true

Copied from

https://www.mydealz.de/deals/elex-u...p-fur-970eur-amazon-primetwitch-prime-1062901

Is this deal dead? I can't get it to work even though I have Twitch Prime and the desktop app.

Chrome Hyena

Oct 30, 2017
So curious. I been interested in this game but I heard that the game is SUPER deep, even in the beginning and can be very confusing. Deep is fine, but deep and super confusing is bad.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Update available for PS4 and Xbox One -

ELEX Update 1.02 Patch Notes
Engine
  • ELEX version 1.02 addressed an issue where if savegame limit is reached, "Create new savegame" is hidden.
  • Fixed some freezes in tutorials. The tutorial won't be shown if the corresponding key bindings are not valid.
  • ELEX Update 1.02 fixed saving after the Big Bang fight was not possible.
  • Fixed game freeze when you try to interact with an evade roll.
Quests
  • Fixed permanently angry NPCs.
  • Kral has now a quest marker for the Mana shrine quest.
  • Jax gets the correct award from Reinhold when joining the Clerics.
  • Bullet and Lucy don't die immediately when they encounter an enemy.
  • ELEX Update 1.02 fixed quest targets when fighting in the arena.
  • Trevor now gives Jax the correct reward, depending on his actions.
  • Mad Bob's dialogue is now in the correct order, taking the Jax's actions into account.
  • Jack will change his daily routine if Jax killed Hopkins and his bandits. Furthermore, the dialogue regarding Volkmar's weapon now works properly.
  • The quest involving Riley, Darrel and Paige is closed correctly now. (Might be necessary to sleep in a bed to trigger this fix.)
  • ELEX version 1.02 has fixed a plot killer for a certain ending of the game. Talk to Logan twice, in case of having this issue in your save game.
  • Bill will now return to his hut after the player killed Vance and talked to him about the situation.
  • Martha will now not quit the dialogue, after Jax buys food from/trades with her – therefore she will now update the Legate situation if the player choses the ENDE/END dialogue option.
  • If the player has joined the Clerics and talks with Darrell, he will now offer a quest for the player. If the player already spoke to Darrell and had only his standard sentence to say, he only must talk to Darrell again and then Darrell will offer the quest for the player.
  • Nasty will no longer interfere in the battle between Player and Kid.
  • Map Target Ethan/Volkmar will now be removed correctly during the mission: Scrap Delivery.
  • Jack has now Volkmar's Weapon in his inventory.
  • If you ask Jora if it's lawful to take the laser rifle, while he has a Smalltalk with Stormson, both should continue their Smalltalk. If this situation already happened, Jax must talk to Stormson again until he has nothing to say anymore and Jora will return on his Smalltalk routine.
  • Now Angrim at waterfall is teleported back to his current daily routine point.
  • Sometimes Stormson, Eli, Wolf and Oswald were at wrong positions. Now they are teleported back to their daily routine points.
  • ELEX 1.02 fixed a bug that prevented Jax from joining the Berserkers.
  • Fixed Crony U5 mission. Now he won't get lost in certain locations.
  • Kallax gives additional main plot background information at showdown with him.
  • Fixed some time related quests.
World
  • Removed wrong weather zone in the Hort.
  • Corrected some items that were stuck in the ground.
  • ELEX Update 1.02 fixed some minor graphical issues with some of the Berserker armor.
Game
  • Now party members will be more helpful during combat.
  • Enemies now have better targeting. They shouldn't shoot at walls or objects anymore.
  • Now there is an option to deactivate the double-click evade roll. To enable this option, you must assign a key to the evade option in the key bindings.
  • Human enemies can attack with low stamina now. This should prevent some issues with enemies doing nothing while they have low stamina.
  • Now you can transfer chunks of tens in the trade menu.
  • Fix for haggler perk. You can buy every item now.
  • ELEX version 1.02 has fixed helmets being in front of the camera while looting a chest.
  • Exploit fix for crafting energy reserve.
  • Fixed equipped weapons. They weren't destroyed when you salvage them.
  • Fix where you get an 2h Hammer instead of an 2h Sword at the crafting table.
  • Fixed duplicated key binding page.
  • ELEX version 1.02 addressed the needed skill to upgrade the chain saber.
  • Fixed evade tutorial. It has caused a slow-motion effect for 10 seconds.
  • Elex and Elex Potions now show a message that your Cold has increased.
  • Fixed Perk Bookworm. Now you get XPs for reading letters and books. Reading Letters without the Perk will also give Jax some XP now.
  • Party members don't move around when the player is in a dialog.
  • Fix for some wrong loading hints.
Check your game update and download latest ELEX Update 1.02 on PS4 and Xbox One.

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bet there isn't a bigger Risen fan on this site than me.

Still have to find the time to get into ELEX.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
So curious. I been interested in this game but I heard that the game is SUPER deep, even in the beginning and can be very confusing. Deep is fine, but deep and super confusing is bad.
It's neither "deep" nor "confusing". It's just big and very difficult in the beginning. Also, a bit clunky, like other PB games. You can go EVERYWHERE but enemies don't scale, so you can run into very end-game mobs if you run into the wrong corners of the map. :D

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
I recently picked up an Xbox One X and have been loving it, but I keep wanting to go back and play Elex.

I think it says a lot about this game that I'm - #1 tempted to double dip and #2 only mildly put off by the fact I'd need to redo like 30+ hours of content. It's not even an X enhanced game, that I know of, it's just I want to keep playing it and it'd be nice to do it on that fancy new machine I bought.

Sadly it looks like Elex is NOT a cross play title, and save swapping doesn't seem to be something that anyone has looked into.

Azriell

Oct 27, 2017
Any PS4 (Pro) impressions? I'm very interested in this game, but hearing that it's a little jank on PC has me concerned.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Any PS4 (Pro) impressions? I'm very interested in this game, but hearing that it's a little jank on PC has me concerned.
The game runs quite nicely on the Pro. Much better than on the standard. The game has an unlocked framerate, allowing the Pro to run well over 30 FPS for lots of sections of the game, and helps it keep smooth in the more demanding areas.

Just in case you didn't find it. Everyone is posting in this thread and not the OT! https://www.resetera.com/threads/elex-is-one-of-the-best-rpgs-of-2017.452/

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the story mode a few hours ago. Holy shit .. could they end it on a worse teaser-note .. already know the developers won't add any (paid) DLC to the game so I guess have to wait and see if this sells well enough for a sequel.

Neverfade

Oct 25, 2017
So are there any digital foundry-esqe videos out there that say which console this runs better on?

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing for about 8 hours. Bought it during the steam sale. I'm enjoying it and will beat it for sure but it's a pretty bad game. The first few hours are truly awful and I can't wrap my head about how it shipped in this state. Equipping anything or learning anything requires huge amount of stats points. It wouldn't be so bad if you could get level up easily but even the early quests are trial and errors to see if you can do it. Oh 1 -shotted in this one too well I'll try the next one I guess? Eventually you make it through but it was terrible. I shouldn't have to make an effort to make the game fun. Exploring the world is fun but I mostly just run away from everything. Hopefully it gets better.

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is a bit more unforgiving than other Piranha Bytes games, in the beginning. I don't see how that makes the game awful. There are difficulty options that lets you fine tune the game, if you think that it is too hard. I'm glad there are some games still, that actually makes you fear the world. You don't have to be able to kill everything you see from the get go. Stuff that you're not supposed to fight usually have a skull icon next to their names. Companions also help a lot in the first hours. They are almost a win button. Soon enough, you'll be easily killing stuff.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
It is a bit more unforgiving than other Piranha Bytes games, in the beginning. I don't see how that makes the game awful. There are difficulty options that lets you fine tune the game, if you think that it is too hard. I'm glad there are some games still, that actually makes you fear the world. You don't have to be able to kill everything you see from the get go. Stuff that you're not supposed to fight usually have a skull icon next to their names. Companions also help a lot in the first hours. They are almost a win button. Soon enough, you'll be easily killing stuff.

I don't mind difficulty when I feel like making good progress but here I don't feel like I'm progressing much. I played the Gold Box games and the Might and Magic games back then and I tend to play a fair share of CRPG. But you usually find areas than you can try to go to and progress. Here even the character progression isn't very fun. You reach the first merchant and you can't equip anything because of stats requirements. You find the skill trainers and there is barely anything you can learn because of the money and stats requirements. So you try to do a bunch of quests and most of them you end up fighting something you can't take on. So you trial and error until you can find some you don't have to fight anything. I spent a huge chunk of my play time trying to progress and as I'm getting older I don't have the patience for that anymore. It would be fun if it felt rewarding but so far it isn't. Even battles you can win are actually annoying as you get stuck on the grounds or rocks and enemies tend to keep attacking with 0 stamina anyway.

My opinion with difficulty slider is that they are more of a crutch than something worthwhile. If I have to do the developers work and try to mess with sliders to make the game fun I feel there is a problem. I'm enjoying the post apocalyptic scenario, the lore and exploring around but it's definitely not a game I would recommend.

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
I love the game and I agree that there are too few low and mid level weapons in the game. If you play the game like me and explore everything you will find tons of endgame weapons from the start and you will never equip most of thembut the best one as soon as you can use them. It's just one of many balance issues the game has.
However, I think character progression was very satisfying and motivating until very late in the game because there are always perks and weapons you still want to "unlock". Even in the end and even post game I was still bewing elex potions to "unlock" more perks and equipment.
Unlike most RPGs where I usually have all the perks I need about on third into the game.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
I don't know, I really enjoyed the beginning of Elex. I suppose it went on a bit too long before you got a really good weapon but it's just a matter of utilizing all your tools like the sneak button when you are trying to avoid aggroing enemies much more powerful than you. You can also kite enemies to allied groups and they will help you kill them. If you're mainly sticking with melee, there are some key mechanics to getting the most out of your damage that make all the difference in the world. You'd be surprised how much damage you can do if you use it properly. I get that the game really doesn't explain it all that well so that's a fault of it but the tools are definitely there to survive and progress without too much issue, IMO. As far as stat points go, you may notice by now but it's not really worth spending your stat points until you know exactly how much you need to use specific items. Even with that said, there are ways to craft Elex potions that do smooth that process over and allow you to boost your stats a lot easier. Also, there are quite a few quests you can do in the cities (particularly the Berserker home settlement) which will help you to level up before even needing to engage in much combat.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There is a difference between hard and annoying. Divinity 2 OS is a hard and complex RPG, Dark Souls is a hard game, but ELEX is currently just annoying. I'm now lvl 5, did all quests I was able to find and every current quests leads me to fights that are way to hard. The biggest problem is the clunky combat system. Granted it's a big step up over Gothic 3, where early enemies were able to stun lock you to death. Here they at least one-two hit you. Don't know what I expected tbh, the last PB game I played was G3 and swore to not play one of their games again. I hoped the improved over the years I guess. They didn't... will try to finish a couple more quests but... pfff this is not good currently. The crashes/freezes do not help either.

Loganclaws

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
There is a difference between hard and annoying. Divinity 2 OS is a hard and complex RPG, Dark Souls is a hard game, but ELEX is currently just annoying. I'm now lvl 5, did all quests I was able to find and every current quests leads me to fights that are way to hard. The biggest problem is the clunky combat system. Granted it's a big step up over Gothic 3, where early enemies were able to stun lock you to death. Here they at least one-two hit you. Don't know what I expected tbh, the last PB game I played was G3 and swore to not play one of their games again. I hoped the improved over the years I guess. They didn't... will try to finish a couple more quests but... pfff this is not good currently. The crashes/freezes do not help either.

First, since the last PB game you played was Gothic 3, you need to play Risen 1 which is one of their best games. I agree with your assessment about Elex for the time being. They really really need to release a patch to fix a couple of really important issues:

- Fix the sluggish movement, maybe have an option for alternative movement controls similar to the Witcher 3. There is also no animation for 180 turns, the character comes to a screeching halt, rotates then starts running again. They had this done right in their previous games like Risen 3 where the characters does a quick turn and keeps running, not sure why they fucked this up so bad.
- Add a goddamn proper STATISTICS SCREEN. This is an RPG, how could they omit such a critical screen?
- Improve the descriptions of all attributes, skills and perks.
- Allow rebinding of all keyboard keys, currently ESDF players are screwed unless we use an AutoHotKey script which is ridiculous in 2018.

Just with the above fixes, the game will be elevated so much in my opinion.

Oct 25, 2017
After 12 hours, Elex seems to be a game about a chainsword wielding super human with psionic abilities and laser guns who gets killed by chickens over and over again.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
First PB game, what should I do first? I would like to get OP as soon as possible.

Elex is a relatively hard game that doesn't want you to get OP too early in the game.
Therefore: Lower the difficulty setting.

Other than that, money ("shards") can translate into skill skill and attribute points. Learn the skill animal trophies and maybe pickpocket early on in order to get more money.