• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8408

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So, I'm confused. The box says PS4 Pro enhanced, but it actually isn't? Or is it? The Pro enchancement thread here doesn't list it.

And thanks, you guys, for making me add another game to the backlog. I was planning on playing Prey or Resident Evil next!

It's on its way along with the Xbox X patch apparently.

Oct 27, 2017
I was slightly interested in this before watching the Giant Bomb QL and being put off by how sterile and generic the environment and characters looked. I admit that it's not really the sort of game that shows well with the goofs at Giant Bomb at the helm, but I just came away from the video distinctly unimpressed.

I just finished Divinity: Original Sin 2 and I'm looking for a new RPG so I think I'll pick this up tonight off the back of this thread's recommendation.

Oct 26, 2017
I'm glad you guys really like the game, and I don't want to take that away from you (although that's not going to stop me from criticism, nor should it ever). The OP literally referred to it being a "large amount of eurojank" (ver batim quote), so maybe not 1:1 with being a buggy mess, but that doesn't seem like grounds for being one of the best RPGs this year. Strikes me as trying to sweep a huge problem under the rug in order to inflate a hyperbolic statement.

Eurojank is a minor problem, not a 'huge one'.

Benghis Khan

Oct 27, 2017
WOOHOO I finished the game. So for those still on the fence I'd recommend the game. While the world doesn't hesitate to beat you down, you eventually get better gear and skills.
Didn't feel that close a connection to the faction I chose which was disappointing, but like other PB games the exploration was great, especially with the jetpack

hexen

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
it's a pity that the factions all feel underwhelming, seeing that it's nearly mandatory to join one. it felt like choosing the lesser of three evils.

lightchris

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
it's a pity that the factions all feel underwhelming, seeing that it's nearly mandatory to join one. it felt like choosing the lesser of three evils.

I get what you mean, but I feel that's kind of the point. They really wanted to avoid a "good vs evil" scheme for this one and portray a harsh and unforgiving world in which each of the factions struggles for survival no matter what. Combining both good and bad intentions. So if you want to join them, for each of the factions there will be assholes you will have to work with, or things that have to be done you don't really want to do.

Overall it feels quite natural in my opinion.

Oct 28, 2017
I'm a huge PB fan, so I'm pretty stoked to hear so many positive impression.

But I still had Risen 3 laying around. Never played it because I only had a shitty old laptop for the last years... and I was pretty disappointed in Risen 2 anyway (atmosphere was great, but the gameplay felt way too casual, the main story was laughably bad and all the retcons destroyed any sense of consistency in the lore)

And now I'm almost angry at myself for not playing it sooner. Risen 3 is a weird game. PB clearly realized they wrote themselves into a corner and decided to just ignore the titans that are supposed to be out there destroying the world. All the Gothic eastereggs feel like pandering. Most quests are pretty basic. But actually all that doesn't matter because the world design is just so great. I haven't had this much pure fun in a game in years.

Can't wait to check out Elex!

Deleted member 6137

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Them and their publshier had different views on how to develop games. They made Risen 2&3 to ride out their contract as far as I understand.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
its a very german game, if you'd ask me except the polish. German polish is CRYSIS. why does this game look like ass?

except that, you can explore so many things and come across a lot of hilarious dialogues. get this game, since this is being sold already for less than 20€.

Clydefrog

Oct 25, 2017
Hawaii
i beat it!!! :D 47 hours played, level 47

ec7D5qM.jpg

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It has plenty of "interesting gameplay". In fact, gameplay-wise, it's easily better than most RPGs with far better production value.

A lot of people on this forum apparently struggle to grasp the idea that in a RPG quest design, quest structure, dialogues, environmental interactions and well paced exploration are all part of the "gameplay".
It just doesn't do combat well.
I was about to write more or less exactly that reply, so thanks for saving me time ;)

The whole "gameplay = combat" idea, when applied to RPGs, is very damaging.
These posts need to be bookmarked.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
this game is on my bottom of laundry list but will check it out once it has deep sale.

Ohto

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These posts need to be bookmarked.

Amen. It is a sad state of affairs if people really think that the combat defines rpgs. It is the least important part, in my opinion.

And Eurojank has nothing to do with a game being a buggy mess, it means that animations, UI etc. can be a little wonky. Like Gothics, Mount & Blade and others. Games that have soul and depth beneath the little average looking outside. Like those people who make the best partners and loved ones. They have unexpected beauty in them. If you only look at things superficially that makes yourseld a superficial being. Little wrinkles are alright and in fact are the thing that makes us appreciate the really important things.

I pick Eurojank always over these huge, plastic productions we keep getting from the US nowadays. Luckily there's more and more heartful games coming from America once again, for a while it was like Miami.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
So, ready to start tomorrow! Sadly there wasn't another patch yet, but here is hoping everything runs smooth.

Any tips for the beginning? :D

plow

Oct 28, 2017
So a few things that annoy me a little bit:

- Playing the game on PS4 having only 4 quickslots is annoying. I Want Flamethrower, Sword+Shield, Pots and Meat at the same time, but can't.
- Still having problems with companios, sometimes they react pretty late.
- It also seems like they can't take aggro, or at least, monsters prefer attacking you instead.
- Had a fight with a person where i basically deceived her. In the end she hated me and even send people to kill me. All fine, but having the option to choose "Teach me something" and she goes "Yeah, sure", is not.

With that said im enjoying the game a lot! Just found the base of the separatists.

Anyone have tips on how to make easy money ?

zonko

Oct 28, 2017

- Playing the game on PS4 having only 4 quickslots is annoying. I Want Flamethrower, Sword+Shield, Pots and Meat at the same time, but can't.
- It also seems like they can't take aggro, or at least, monsters prefer attacking you instead.
- Had a fight with a person where i basically deceived her. In the end she hated me and even send people to kill me. All fine, but having the option to choose "Teach me something" and she goes "Yeah, sure", is not.

With that said im enjoying the game a lot! Just found the base of the separatists.

I'm playing on PC, but with a pad and at least on PC i have 8 quickslots by pressing and holding L1.

OP
OP
His Majesty

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium

Easy money: animal trophies perk.

If you want to move aggro to your companion, try to jetpack away when the monster attacks you and keep hovering until it moves to your companion. You also have 8 quickslots, on an Xbox controller it's RB+LB.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
I'm playing on PC, but with a pad and at least on PC i have 8 quickslots by pressing and holding L1.

Easy money: animal trophies perk.

If you want to move aggro to your companion, try to jetpack away when the monster attacks you and keep hovering until it moves to your companion. You also have 8 quickslots, on an Xbox controller it's RB+LB.

Holy shit thanks! Didn't know that. Have to try the jetpack thing too.

Exploration + the Animal Trophies perk are the best way to get money.

Yeah knew about that but still, having to "farm" 15k to only buy one armor part takes sooo long. Although in the end, it's sooo rewarding when you are able to buy it.

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
The first voice I hear in the game is from Xardas himself. Just cheesed my first couple of fights, found an early amulet and nowI'm on the way to the first city, through the ruins. This is the first time I feel a similar Gothic vibe, since Gothic 2. Holy shit I already love it. I obviously haven't seen guns yet, so here is hoping the aren't unfun (to fight against). Everything else is golden.

Deleted member 10601

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finally, i finished this game. It was not fun at the end with all that hack & slash against big groups of enemies. The start was promising. but after some hours the game lost its magic for me.

The player progression was stretched out to infinty to make the game longer. The world felt too big, too empty and samey. The more or less random placement of low and high level monsters was unfun. The combat was bad against multiple enemies and my "helping" companions were most of the time TOTALLY USELESS even with the group skill maxed. Oh, the stamina mechanic can die in a fire, the fights are already hard enough.

The UI is abysmal. Why are there no stats displayed? How many hitpoints / manapoints do i have? Where are my RPG stats? That UI looks like it was an afterthought.

I replayed all the Gothics and Risens several times, Elex will get no replay from me. I'm burned out after so many hours to "beat" the progression curve, making my char fit for the end game (35 h).

jesu

Oct 26, 2017
UK

LB to have 8 quick slots.

mordecaii83

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Just beat the game, had a blast with it. Really enjoyed the world and the quests.

Only thing that bothered me was the cold system. It locked me out of some dialogue choices which started to make me go down paths I really didn't want to towards the end of the game. Other than that it was every bit as fun for me as Risen and the good Gothic games.

OP
OP
His Majesty

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I was surprised to find out that I like the Outlaws most of all. Colourful cast of characters, nice clothing and a good looking camp. The lack of non-consumable skills is the downside I guess. Also major New Vegas vibes.

OP
OP
His Majesty

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
The combat is a mix of Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Nioh. It's really great.

No seriously, the combat is not as fluid as other titles but the great progression mechanics elevate it to being a really fun system.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah knew about that but still, having to "farm" 15k to only buy one armor part takes sooo long. Although in the end, it's sooo rewarding when you are able to buy it.

By the time you are buying 15k armor, your Lvl 3 animal trophies should more than cover it (you did get Animal Trophies up ASAP right?). Also don't forget that high level armor has some serious attribute requirements. Even at lvl 30 I had to bump some up to equip it.

Also if you are so inclined, there is a list of amazing stuff you can get for free all over the world. So cash, isn't as much of an issue.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
I like it that you can finish quests even before you accept them. And when you accept the quests, you can instantly report that it's been done. For example, fetching certain items, clearing some ruins or killing a group of enemies.

OP
OP
His Majesty

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
I like it that you can finish quests even before you accept them. And when you accept the quests, you can instantly report that it's been done. For example, fetching certain items, clearing some ruins or killing a group of enemies.

Yes, that's really great.

Compare that to e.g. Assassin's Creed: Origins. Looted a tomb and killed all bandits inside. Then I accepted a quest in town which asked me to kill all bandits and their leader in the tomb. I had to go back and kill the leader, who now was magically there all of a sudden. Ugh.

daevv

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there was a way to lower coldness other then conversations. I'm in chapter 4 and quickly running out of people to talk to. I'm getting it close to Neutral but even with save scumming I doubt I'll reach it.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
I wish there was a way to lower coldness other then conversations. I'm in chapter 4 and quickly running out of people to talk to. I'm getting it close to Neutral but even with save scumming I doubt I'll reach it.
Was annoyed by that to, I think there are some Cheat Engine tables online if you really don't like it.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Alright, you've sold me. Now I just need to know what version to go with. PS4? Xbox One? PC? Gonna get this and this will be the next game I make footage of and stream.

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I bought Elex yesterday - CONSTANT crashing.... locks the screen, but the music keeps playing... have to reboot every time.

GTX 1080 - 4930k

Crashing is something I rarely experience on this rig, which I use for gaming only. Super clean OS install. No idea what to do.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I bought Elex yesterday - CONSTANT crashing.... locks the screen, but the music keeps playing... have to reboot every time.

GTX 1080 - 4930k

Crashing is something I rarely experience on this rig, which I use for gaming only. Super clean OS install. No idea what to do.
That's definitely weird, 34 hours in and I've had 1 std, 1070, 4790k here.

Several possible fixes here. Hopefully you can get this sorted and start enjoying the game.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
By the time you are buying 15k armor, your Lvl 3 animal trophies should more than cover it (you did get Animal Trophies up ASAP right?). Also don't forget that high level armor has some serious attribute requirements. Even at lvl 30 I had to bump some up to equip it.

Also if you are so inclined, there is a list of amazing stuff you can get for free all over the world. So cash, isn't as much of an issue.

hehe.
Looks like i found what to lvl up next :D

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Alright, you've sold me. Now I just need to know what version to go with. PS4? Xbox One? PC? Gonna get this and this will be the next game I make footage of and stream.
PC version is great. Holds 60fps with no issue with max graphics at 1440p. Cheat Engine is also a thing if needed. ;)
Others mentioned crashing, but I haven't had a single one so far, and I'm at 23 hours played. I'm running a GTX1080, i7 4790k, 16GB, Win10.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
Guys is there a way to lower coldness and be a good person through potions? My character coldness says "synthetic". I'm still early on in the game I'm about level 10 haven't joined factions done some sidequests for berserkers but that's it. I got synthetic through using Elex potions for the trophy and to get ability points. Is it too late to raise it max for the other trophies associated with getting it higher?

Oct 26, 2017
Finally feel like I can hold my own in fights and not get utterly destroyed by anything other than a small biter.

At level 11 now, with Ray as companion. Using an upgraded broadsword 1 and cultivator bow 1. Randomly finding a flamethrower has been a game changer in being able to survive with the knock-back effect, as well as using grenades with the 'explode on impact' setting...such a massive difference in being able to go up against bigger foes or groups of enemies now.

Still haven't joined a faction yet, but feel like I'm leaning towards Outlaws. Ignadon still feels like a giant maze to me, though have spent the least amount of time there out of the other cities.