• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
I actually killed that guy at the very start of the game, it took some patience but 1:1 fights against humans are not hard in this game. Which is why every faction has at least 1 duel possibility in their recruiting questlines.
Oh yeah due to the stamina system they are manageable. But they changed it with the latest patch for the better imo.

I fear that i will not complete the game for quite some time. Sooooo much to find. But i want to know how it ends so i may end up rushing it a bit.

The chaos you can create and then get out of with your jetpack is awesome. I had a bunch of skex on my ass in the forbidden valley, then encountered some more creatures and they all ended up fighting each other. I quietly sailed away with my jetpack to a high rock in the middle of nowhere, while all sorts of enemies duked it out below me. Great moment. I did not dare to touch the ground again until i was a good distance away, flying from one high spot to the other.

Grimminski

Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Exploit fix with crafting energy reserve.
Nooooo. I'm not updating until I have the 30k needed for my Paladin armor set. Which should take like... 5 minutes.

- Elex and Elex Potions now show a message that your Cold has increased.
Who'd have thought that chugging down 100K worth of Elex would turn me into a horrible person.

But yeah, ELEX is an amazing game. Easily the best thing PB has done since the first Risen.

Chamaeleonx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's a real shame that a lot of folks that do give this game a chance will likely give up in the early hours do to the somewhat difficult learning curve, and that's kinda been a recurring theme in a lot of the reviews that I read. Those that can push past it will likely enjoy it much more.
I am sure some PB fans will develop mods and patches if something isn't up to fluff.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in this game on PS4.

Is this the type of developer where you wait for a couple patches before starting though? Does this dev do lots of patches?

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
Really? That's a surprise actually. I got asked to review it but I didn't know enough about it and already had a full plate so I passed. Now you're making feel like that was a bad thing ;(

How is this compared to, say, The Technomancer?

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I'm interested in this game on PS4.

Is this the type of developer where you wait for a couple patches before starting though? Does this dev do lots of patches?

Normally I would say yes. For instance, performance goes to crap the longer your session, like the item menu load going from 2 to eventually 10 seconds for me after 4 hour session, but resetting after I close down and start fresh. That and some frame rate issues aside, my biggest worry would be broken quests etc that actually stop progression and on that front I haven't run into a single damn one which is surprising. I would say I'm 75% through the game and haven't encountered anything that hindered progressing in anyway.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
This was high on my to-play list, but then I decided to give Trails in the Sky another chance. I will play Elex next (sometime this year, hopefully.)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Normally I would say yes. For instance, performance goes to crap the longer your session, like the item menu load going from 2 to eventually 10 seconds for me after 4 hour session, but resetting after I close down and start fresh. That and some frame rate issues aside, my biggest worry would be broken quests etc that actually stop progression and on that front I haven't run into a single damn one which is surprising. I would say I'm 75% through the game and haven't encountered anything that hindered progressing in anyway.
Nice.
Alright. I will definitely wait though. My backlog is about 3 games deep. Elex is definitely on that list though.
First time I've ever played a game from these devs.

Morrowless

Oct 27, 2017
Sunglasses (regular kind) are a game changer. Wish it also highlighted containers though, not just items.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I have no choice now. After I finish Fractured But Whole this game is probably next. To be honest though I say that now, but 50/50 chance it will just end up on my backlog. I have a problem.

NLCPRESIDENT

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Good good.. I've had my eye on this for a min. Didn't pull the trigger yet tho.

This is how you do it devs. Stay consistent and get better at your craft. If this game is good, they might have the next From Software type success story come next gen.

They been working hard and I hope it pays off!

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
Really? That's a surprise actually. I got asked to review it but I didn't know enough about it and already had a full plate so I passed. Now you're making feel like that was a bad thing ;(

How is this compared to, say, The Technomancer?
Elex is a whole different beast in scale; variety and ambition. It's better than Technomancer in every way you could possibly judge a game.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
If they plan to turn this into a trilogy, I'm all in.

Just hope they keep it big and open world. Enjoyed Risen II but felt significantly scaled back compared to Risen I with the small islands, don't want to see them make that mistake again.

But Elex is a pretty big step forward for them so I have some faith.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How is Elex bug-wise? PC version in particular?

I played and finished all PB games, Elex seems to be getting good impressions, is it in a good state already?

AlternateAir

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to add my two cents here. Absolutely love this game. Only stopping to play Mario Odyssey - otherwise I'd be spending this weekend with Elex. Makes me wonder what I've missed out on have never played a PB game before. If they are similar to this - a bit rough but overall offering something really special - then I've definitely missed out.

Morrowless

Oct 27, 2017

I played and finished all PB games, Elex seems to be getting good impressions, is it in a good state already?
Today's patch fixed most if not all of the gamebreaking bugs. To be honest, it was surprisingly bug-free on release. Play it now.

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to add my two cents here. Absolutely love this game. Only stopping to play Mario Odyssey - otherwise I'd be spending this weekend with Elex. Makes me wonder what I've missed out on have never played a PB game before. If they are similar to this - a bit rough but overall offering something really special - then I've definitely missed out.

Gothic 1 and especially Gothic 2 Gold (includes expansion) are masterpieces. They were some of the most advanced games when they came out - beautiful handcrafted open world with incredible atmosphere, choices and consequences, changing time of day, weather, NPC schedules..
Gothic 3 was even more ambitious but released unfinished, so it was buggy. And it was too big for its own good, so quest design suffered, sadly.
Risen games are great, but not as groundbreaking as first two Gothics.
But basically I love PB games for their exploration. Nobody else makes their gameworlds quite like Piranha Bytes.

Today's patch fixed most if not all of the gamebreaking bugs. To be honest, it was surprisingly bug-free on release. Play it now.

Thanks, I will get it once I get through Wolfenstein 2.

Rav3n90

Oct 27, 2017
Very rarely have I seen a game so polarizing: reviews are generally average - to-negative (even on sites like RPS which is usually more benevolent with niche games), yet users seem to love it and prefer it to high budget games like Bethesda 's RPGs

TheWordyGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was going through a very difficult time a number of years ago - and that week Risen was released. That game sheltered me. For three straight days, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I did nothing but play Risen. I forgot all about life while playing. A completely transporting experience.

PB rpgs have a special place in my heart. What people are saying about this game is just... so Pirhana Bytes.

I'd be playing Elex right now, were it not for my backlog. Love reading these comments though. Just so happy that PB seems to have worked its magic yet again.

Ohto

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nice to see that people are liking the game. I like PB and how they go their own way.

Haven't played it yet, and I just don't have money at the moment but will get it later. I was never the biggest fan of Gothics (like them still) but my younger brother just looooooooooooves them so much. I wonder if he's heard of this game. He is not one to hang in the Internet, and Elex has pretty much flown under the radar... How's the PS4 version? He doesn't have PC anymore, only PS4 and I would like to gift this to him in the holidays.

Yamamoto77

Oct 27, 2017
First post in the new forum has to express the love for Elex. Great game, very oldschool, a lot of heart and character. Difficult to keep its head above water in times like these with Mario, Wolfenstein and Assassin's Creed battling it out on a single day, but Elex will definitely remain on my shortlist of games to continue playing.

In different news: Off to a new era, all the best to everyone involved!

Jaxar

Oct 25, 2017
Australia

I've been playing since launch day and I've only encountered one bug surprisingly, and it was only a NPC floating in mid air. I had to save then reload the game to get them back on the ground so I could finish the quest.

Apart from that though it's been smooth sailing for me. I encountered heaps more bugs playing Fallout 4.

Barberetti

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Grabbed this last weekend but haven't had the time to start it yet. If the patch for the GoG version drops today, I might have to find the time to get stuck in.

barit

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
So true. It´s very tough but extremely rewarding. I love it. I just finished everything in Golieth and want now desperately join the Clerics (because LASERWEAPONS yo) but fuck me the trip is awful long and dangerous xD

Moff

Oct 26, 2017
So true. It´s very tough but extremely rewarding. I love it. I just finished everything in Golieth and want now desperately join the Clerics (because LASERWEAPONS yo) but fuck me the trip is awful long and dangerous xD
Shortcut
The teleporter at the domed city will also unlock the cleric base teleporter

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched some gameplay, looks interesting but dear lord the jank is real.
Might get it after price drop.

senbon

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm .. wasn't in the list of files when I logged in earlier. Maybe it's only available through Galaxy at the moment?
You're right, I can't see it in the file list on the website either. Although, the changelog lists it as being out. The Galaxy build updated yesterday just fine (and is showing the correct version number).
Weird that they would stagger the patches in this manner.

Tuknahr

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to check this out, love sci-fi games. Hope I can get used to the movement/combat.

GuitarGuruu

Oct 26, 2017
I've never heard of this game until today when I saw it on Steam, looks alright might check it out down the road.

Ragona

Oct 26, 2017
Finally joined a faction after 35 hours :D.
If they are able to make Elex 2 a jump in quality akin to Gothic -> Gothic 2 we are in for a massive treat.
More transparent rpg systems, better UI and menus, better balance and technical refinement should definately be doable for them.

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
I may check this in time, but it bothers me that the default way to play this is by following quest markers. No wonder reviewers are trying to play it like a modern Bethesda game.

Deleted member 6137

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I may check this in time, but it bothers me that the default way to play this is by following quest markers. No wonder reviewers are trying to play it like a modern Bethesda game.
You don't need to have any map markers if you don't want to. The game gives you an option to set one quest as active. It is by no means, necessary.

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I'm gonna wait for a sale. I've been playing Piranha Bytes games since Gothic 1, and while everything involving world building is great and nearly worth it, I'm sorry but I'm not gonna get burned again because they still haven't improved their combat in 17 or whatever years. It astonishes me that they still do not give a shit when it comes to the combat department.

Wheelsner

Oct 27, 2017
London
Good to see a thread on this one. Definitely enjoyed the few hours I've spent with it so far. It's certainly got that PB jank, particularly when it comes to animation and UI, which are very unpolished by today's standards - the animation doesn't seem have improved at all since the first Risen and my memory's hazy but the UI actually seems worse.

However, there's just something about the way PB builds worlds that makes them a joy to explore. I've always felt that exploration was the strongest area in any of PB's games, and the separate island structure of Risen 2-3 really hurt in this regard. The move back to a single expansive landmass seems to have really paid off here. Its not even entirely bad on the technical front. It runs well for me on PC, supports ultrawide resolutions out of the box (with only a stretched intro video to complain about) and the solitary initial load time is remarkably short.

Looking forward to digging in more, but with so many great recent releases (and with more on the horizon) will probably wait until the New Year drought hits and its hopefully had a few more patches (must admit this thread's already got me reconsidering that decision though).

Rymuth

Oct 26, 2017
Sounds intriguing - I'll pick it up later so by then they'd have patched it as the reviews hint at it being buggy and glitchy.

Thank you, OP.

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
Ok so is this game fully playable WITHOUT companions or do I need them in the beginning when it's supposedly very tough to survive bc our gear sucks? I really like rolling alone. Any significant perks by going alone/with a companion? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :)