• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
cba1bffa0797f6ac6f04bd42b543b97d26fa8bb7312ed46f2b66927ec2344677.jpg

Developer: Piranha Bytes

Publisher: THQ Nordic
Platforms: PC, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X
Pricing: €49.99 on PC (-10% at €44.99 until March 1st)
Release date: 1 March 2022
Mar 1, 2022 at 1:00 PM

F5f5dDq.png

ELEX II returns to the post-apocalyptic science fantasy world of Magalan. After civilization was wiped out by a comet, the few remaining survivors organized themselves into factions, each with their own vision of what the future of the planet should look like. Not only did the comet kill most of the population, it also introduced an alien substance known as elex to the planet of Magalan. Elex is a precious and limited resource which can power advanced machinery, give people magical powers and re-shape creatures into new and different life forms.

4Xln9pK.png

During the events of the first game you play as Jax, an elite Alb commander who has been betrayed and kicked out of his organization. The Albs are a people who inject themselves with elex to gain power at the cost of their emotions and are led by an aptly named being called The Hybrid. While being hunted by your former friends, you team up with the other factions in the world to unravel the mystery behind your exile, The Hybrid and the state of the world.

Towards the end of the game you learn that (ELEX I spoilers) the comet was sent by an alien civilization as a terraforming agent to alter the planet to the aliens' liking. The Hybrid and his underlings were consuming the elex to evolve and guarantee a place amongst the aliens in the new world order.

Several years after Jax defeated the Hybrid, a new threat arrives from the sky, unleashing the dangerous powers of dark elex and endangering all life on the planet. In order to defend the peace on Magalan and the safety of his own family, Jax has to go on a mission to convince the factions to unite against the invaders and find his own son, Dex, who got separated from him.

b1wvyvb.png

Your journey across Magalan will bring you into contact with five different factions. It is entirely up to you to decide which faction - if any - you want to join.

• The Berserkers originate from survivors of the meteor strike who had no or little access to technology. They developed into a medieval-like culture of farmers, hunters and healers who learned to transmute elex into mana, a resource that powers their magic and has the potential to revererse the terraforming effect of elex to bring back life to the planet. After the events of the first game they started to convert the barren desert of Tavar into a green wonderland with a world heart. Officially Caja has become their new spiritual leader, as she's a powerful mage who has the power to "speak" to elex. Recently a schism has appeared in the faction as many Berserkers don't want to live a life without technology anymore and want to bring the faction into a new age.
  • The Outlaws use elex to produce drugs called stims, contrary to other factions who use it for magical or technological advancements. They never had any grand vision or goal other than to get high. The law of the strongest is their mantra. When the Berserkers terraformed the desert of Tavar back to a fertile region, many people from other factions came there and settled down, chasing the Outlaws out of Tavar. Some stayed, and became part of the Berserkers. Others went to the crater landscape of Ateris, trying to continue their lawless way of life there.
  • The Clerics are an overly righteous and highly technological faction who think it is their duty to shepherd the people of Magalan according to their religious tenets. They have purity laws that forbid the consumption of elex, which can only be used to power machines. Jax uncovered that the stories about their god Calaan were a lie, but that did not stop them from believing in their established teachings. They believe that they are the last bastion that stands between survival and destruction. Although they are low in numbers, they are feared because of their highly advanced plasma weapons that they use to proselytize everybody who doesn't want to join their mission.
  • The Albs were formed by a splinter group of Clerics who didn't want to follow the elex purity laws. They consumed elex like candy and developed magical powers in addition to their deep technical knowledge but lost their emotions in the process. Their goal is to reach the next level of evolution. At first they thought they would be able to achieve this through the excessive consumption of elex but through this method they were corrupted by The Hybrid to commit horrible acts. After the fall of The Hybrid, the Separatists, a moderate group of Albs, convinced the Alb leadership to strictly control the elex intake. They still see themselves as superior to all other factions of Magalan and pursue their goal of evolution.
  • The Morkons were once the peaceful inhabitants of Tomsontown but when the meteor struck, the survivors fled to the underground tunnels below the city,where they barricaded themselves from the dangerous outer world and slowly evolved into a vicious and isolationist subterranean tribe. Due to their limited access to food and other resources, they set up harsh rules for reproduction and acceptance of people from outside. Over time, these rules became a religion and they started to call themselves Morkons. Their goal became to destroy everyone who do not believe in their strict rules.

0yAmd1O.png

ELEX II is an open world role-playing game with an emphasis on player freedom.

• A focus on choices & consequences is one of the key aspects of the game. Solving quests in a particular way will lock away certain parts of the game and open up new roads. As in every Piranha Bytes game you can choose from different factions, which will also dramatically alter gameplay and how you interact with the world.
  • Exploration is dangerous yet rewarding: exploration is actively encouraged and necessary for progressing in the game. Gear is the major factor in determining your strength, so exploring the world in search for better armour and money is a very worthwhile activity. Gear can be bought from vendors, obtained as quest rewards or found hidden in the world.
  • Progression occurs in bursts rather than gradually over the course of the game. Even in beginner zones you will encounter enemies that are too tough to handle. You will feel weak at the beginning, having to move around carefully and avoid fights to survive. Elex has no loot of different colors and rarities that incrementally raise your damage output, instead finding a better sword will feel like a worthwhile upgrade to your combat skills and will allow you to slay enemies you had to flee from before.
  • ELEX II offers a wide array of combat options, from swords, bows and magic to plasma guns. Before locking yourself in a certain playstyle, it is recommended to try out several styles to see how they feel. The Berserker faction is a good choice for players wanting to use magic while the Clerics and Outlaws are more suited to a ranged playstyle.
  • Jax has access to a jetpack that allows you to easily reach heights. Rumour has it that the jetpack in ELEX II allows for flying too although this will require upgrades and is not available from the start.

ktWeTbC.png

Q: Do I need to play the previous game to understand what is going on?
A: ELEX 2 is a direct sequel and there are recurring characters and events from ELEX 1. Although you will more than likely be fine with reading the synopsis provided in this thread.

Q: Is there a character creator?
A: No, you play as Jax.

Q: Are there difficulty settings?
A: Yes, you can tweak the difficulty to your liking.

Q: How long is the game?
A: An average playthrough will take approximately 60 hours.

Q: Can my PC run this?
A:

• MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 / Intel Core i5-7400
    • Memory: 12 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Radeon RX 5600 XT / Geforce GTX 1060
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 45 GB available space
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 / Intel Core i5-9500F
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Radeon RX 5700 XT / Geforce RTX 2060
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Storage: 45 GB available space

RgU3eFJ.png

60qw4c1mme571.jpg

zd9muj4pme571.png

8czwfy36ne571.png

hsuvrj4pme571.png

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
Excellent OT, thank you. Can't wait till Tuesday.

I didn't buy Horizon, nor Elden Ring and I'm sure I'll be able to resist GT7. But this game is pre-ordered and paid.

Love that Piranha Bytes gameplay. Hopefully the PS5 version is a great version rivalling a top end PC.

Can't wait to find something very shiny hidden away in a bush off a beaten path, past some hideous monstrosity that I super cheesed past.

happydeer

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2021
Great OT, thank you. I'm currently already playing the console version of the game, it's really fun so far.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
I'm buried in games but this is day 1!
Great OT btw :)
I know ELEX had its problems but the sense of exploration is nearly unrivaled. I'm going to get it on PC so I hope the port is good.

Deleted member 93841

User-requested account closure
Banned
Mar 17, 2021
My body is ready! Elden Ring will be thrown aside like old trash come Tuesday.

Never played the original, should I?

Yeah, I'd really recommend it. Piranha Bytes games are not for everyone. Some people love them, others hate them. Elex 1 can be had for quite cheap, so it's a good way to test if it's something you'd enjoy instead of dumping a fat wad of cash on Elex 2, only to find out you hate it.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
PS5 version. Framerate seems to be unlocked, but I'd guess it runs between 30 and 40 frames most of the time. Don't know if there will be a Day One patch on Tuesday, though.
Brilliant. Thank you. Maybe playing the PS4 version on PS5 will get it to 60 fps, but to be honest it's not like I'm going into this expecting it to be free of the ol' jank. As long as that gameplay is there.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
My most anticipated game of the first half of the year! Really excited for it, despite the problems the first one had.

Oct 27, 2017
Southend on Sea, UK
As has been said Elex 1 should be very cheap, and will likely clue you in to if you're going to like the PB gameplay loop if you've not played them before.

As for story concerns, whilst this is a sequel - it does seem like quite a reset for the main character. I expect this to play fairly like the original, but hopefully a bit better all round. I don't think prior knowledge of the story is particularly important compared to playing a hopefully superior Elex/Gothic/Risen experience. Piranha Bytes I think have had more time and money this time around and hopefully that shows in the game.

OP
OP
His Majesty

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Yes, it's definitely worth playing! ELEX II looks to be a bit more ambitious and refined than ELEX I but the latter is much cheaper to start with of course. It will familiarize you with the typical Piranha Bytes open world design and the combat too, which is one of its weakest aspects and puts a lot of people off.

For some more detailed impressions you could check out the following thread.

www.resetera.com

ELEX is one of the best RPGs of 2017

This game may have flown under the radar for a lot of people but in my opinion it is one of the best games of this year. ELEX is a game created by Piranha Bytes, famous for their Gothic and Risen games. The game reintroduces a lot of aspects that made Gothic 1 and 2 such great games...

barbarash22

Oct 19, 2019
Great OT, thank you. I'm currently already playing the console version of the game, it's really fun so far.

I've seen a video of the start area on PS5, which bothered me a little.
In the video (which could have a better quality) it seems like there is almost constant screen tearing and stuttering?
Is this really the case?

Oct 27, 2017
Just got it with that 10% discount. Can't wait, even though it might take a back seat until I'm done with Horizon and Elden Ring. I loved the first one and expect to like this one too, jank and all.

happydeer

Enlightened
Aug 4, 2021
I've seen a video of the start area on PS5, which bothered me a little.
In the video (which could have a better quality) it seems like there is almost constant screen tearing and stuttering?
Is this really the case?

There are some areas that have some quite strong screen tearing on PS5, yes. But most of the time it's been fine so far (6 hours in).

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Impressive first post. This is one of my most wanted games. I just don't know if I should wait until I have better hardware. I guess I will wait for impressions on how well it runs on last gen systems.

OP
OP
His Majesty

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Wait, is there an actual "fuck your factions" path this time? I bounced off the first game because it wanted to force me to pick a faction before I'd even had a chance to get to know any of them.
Yep, creative director Bjorn Pankratz confirmed it on a stream a couple of months ago.

www.youtube.com

ELEX (Preview) | 3 STUNDEN Preview (mit Björn Pankratz)

► ELEX Preview ✶ http://grnk.yt/previews► ELEX Release: 3. Quartal 2017► ELEX VORBESTELLEN: http://amzn.to/2hzz9cp···········································...

It's in German though.

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Oh crap, it comes out on the first? Some reason I thought I had more time than that. Gonna have to pull myself away from Lost Ark.

ConfusedOwl

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Pre-ordered it but probably won't play until after Elden Ring. A bit nervous about PC performance but I think I'll keep the pre-order and hope for the best.

OP
OP
His Majesty

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Review embargo will lift tomorrow at 5 PM CET.

For console players sensitive to performance issues: it seems that framerate is unlocked both on PS5 and XSX with no options for a performance or quality mode. Not sure if this will still be the case at release but it's better to be safe than sorry.

barbarash22

Oct 19, 2019
There are some areas that have some quite strong screen tearing on PS5, yes. But most of the time it's been fine so far (6 hours in).
Thanks for your reply.
Screen tearing I absolutely cannot stand.
How this is still a thing is baffling, especially with this graphics quality and hardware.
I hope they fix it or have a VSync toggle in the graphics options of the console versions.

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
I'm kind of leaning towards wanting to pick this up more than continuing Elden Ring, but I'm gonna have to see how patch-needy it is at launch.

Apr 2, 2021
I love how these games look like a fake game made for a tv show in 2007.

Not joking, it makes me feel like I'm in an alternate universe where RPGs remained open-ended in ways other than "you can go to different places and get a different loot"

arts&crafts

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Love all PB games but gonna wait a month or so as Elden Ring was just bought and this will be cheapo soon. I hope there are more weapon options though, I remember Elex was really bad with that. Like you choose your weapon, maybe gauntlet, and thats your weapon the rest of the game, you dont get a new gauntlet or anything from loot.

OP
OP
His Majesty

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Early review dropped and reiterates performance issues on Xbox Series X.

While also giving a glowing recommendation of the game to fans of Piranha Bytes games.

www.heypoorplayer.com

Elex II Review | Hey Poor Player

Elex II presents a world and narrative of immeasurable depth in terms of the freedom you have to play your way and the choices you’re presented with as a player.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Early review dropped and reiterates performance issues on Xbox Series X.

While also giving a glowing recommendation of the game to fans of Piranha Bytes games.

www.heypoorplayer.com

Elex II Review | Hey Poor Player

Elex II presents a world and narrative of immeasurable depth in terms of the freedom you have to play your way and the choices you’re presented with as a player.

Hopefully VRR will help smooth things out a little there. Expected performance jank, I'd have been much more surprised if it was smooth sailing.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game sounds super cool, hope it ends up on gamepass. Sounds perfect for it. First game worth playing these days?

Euler

Oct 27, 2017
Really looking forward to this one. I had a blast with the first one. Gonna wait until I finish Elden Ring though.
This game sounds super cool, hope it ends up on gamepass. Sounds perfect for it. First game worth playing these days?
Yeah it's still a really cool game.

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
I read the review on the biggest Slovak gaming website and they gave the game a 7,5/10 score

The Good:
+ rich and diverse world
+ different fractions
+ discovering and revealing the map
+ strict and functional RPG system
+ B-story
+ VA and music
+ jet pack and its use

The Bad:
- stupid enemy AI
- cumbersome controls
- confusing interface
- bugs and crashes

OP
OP
His Majesty

His Majesty

Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
opencritic.com

ELEX II Reviews

ELEX II is rated 'Weak' after being reviewed by 77 critics, with an overall average score of 65. It's ranked in the bottom 28% of games and recommended by 34% of critics.

Reviews have dropped, more or less within the range of expectations for a Piranha Bytes game. Come for the world and RPG mechanics, stay away for the technical competence.

Ricker

Oct 27, 2017
Beautiful Province of Quebec.
Did they ever patch Elex on XBox ? I think they did a little late and added some 1X enhancement at the time... didnt read any reviews yet,as long as its not tearing on XSX I can live with it...going to take a look at it today(it unlocks in 90 minutes I think) and maybe play for 30 minutes,thats it...I really want to finish Horizon,Edge of Eternity and maybe start Elden Ring first...

zaitsu

Banned
Jan 27, 2022
User Banned (1 Week): Drive-By Posting; Account in Junior Phase
Imagine playing this in 2022 lol

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Nothing out there plays like a piranha byte game. Nothing.

To this day their rpg systems are some of the best in class and they're unique.

All they would need is a big AAA budget and suddenly a 7,5 game would be a 9.

Yeah, a lot of reviewers don't seem to understand the appeal and they dismiss the games on the grounds that they aren't as polished as some Sony first party studio while ignoring the strengths because frankly I don't think they see them. They want Piranha games to play like Assassin's Creed or Horizon Zero Dawn but the game design is fundamentally different, it's intended to be more challenging, your character is weak in the beginning and you have to play like it for good portions of the game.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Man, not really liking the game's chances releasing in the middle of so many big games but I'm ready to dig in as soon as I get my key.

I really liked the world they set up in the first game.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Definitely looking forward to playing this…..later this month or next once I get done with Elden Ring. Tough schedule and from reviews the performance is terrible like the first tsk tsk