• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
We get to see the remake version of Zack's death huh? Gosh the anime and CC of it was tough. Especially in CC you grow to like him and you know how it ends.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
ugh.. was really hoping for a clean slate from that mess. but i know it has its fans so more power to 'em i guess

Calliope

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Detroit, MI
This is actually something I really disagree with. I am someone who really really doesn't like any of the post ff7 Zack stuff and thought it undermined what I perceived to be the point of his character in the original game to make him into a "cooler" character, and it never sat right with me.

They have turned him into a superman hero who I would understand why anyone would idolize whereas I felt the purpose of his character was that he was just "normal" and it showed how broken Cloud's mind was that it was some guy who got offed by 2 grunts that it chose to copy. The fact that they made him into the cool forest gump of every past event of FF7 lore was fanfictiony to me.

Like I would honestly prefer some of the really dumb stuff introduced in the compilation games over canonizing hero Zack.
Yeah it's never sat right with me either that they had to retcon VII's lore and characters to build this dweeb up -- making Aerith afraid of the sky so that when she's with Zack he can make her feel safe, forcing the 'living legacy' crap on Cloud so his post VII motivations are to live for Zack rather than everything Cloud has fought for. But Zack's cool now and an aw shucks puppy dog so who cares.

Zack is ok as far as being a friend and mentor to Cloud, but he's been blown up wayyy too much post VII. And making him so dam heroic is causing ongoing trauma for Cloud, because there's a part of him that feels he can never live up to that. Even though in truth Cloud has done way more heroic shit than Zack ever did.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46477

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 6, 2018
Hell yes Crisis Core content. Zack and Genesis and then that confusing as hell tie-in to Advent Children's "Reunion".

I'm here for it.

Really though, Crisis Core was an incredible game.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Hell yes. Bring on the madness! I'm ready for Genesis, Weiss, Cissnei, Kadaj, Deepground, Geostigma, and all that other post-FFVII absurdity. I love it.

But most importantly, this probably means we get more Zack and more of his backstory integrated into FFVII proper, and that's a wonderful thing because Zack is one of FF's best protagonists ever and way more interesting than Cloud (at least OG FFVII Cloud; remake Cloud seems like he'll have a much more defined personality and, hopefully, more relatability accordingly).

I'm into this.

Last edited:

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Would be awesome to have Zack be fully playable from Crisis Core up until the beginning of FF7. Likely... would just be a truncated cutscene or setpieces throughout crisis core's whole story up until the start of 7 which would be better than nothing i guess. Curious to see how they'll handle Post FF7 content and how it'll integrate though. This game just keeps getting better and better man.

Deleted member 46477

Banned
Aug 6, 2018
Hell yes. Bring on the madness! I'm ready for Genesis, Weiss, Cissnei, Kadaj, Deepground, Geostigma, and all that other post-FFVII absurdity. I love it.

But most importantly, this probably means we get more Zack and more of his backstory integrated into FFVII proper, and that's a wonderful thing because Zack is one of FF's best protagonists ever and way more interesting than Cloud (at least OG FFVII Cloud; remake Cloud seems like he'll have a much more defined personality and, hopefully, relatability).

I'm into this.

This is pretty much how I feel. I HATED Cloud with his personality of an earthworm in FFVII, and Zack was an extremely impactful character in Crisis Core. That final scene...go watch it again and tell me you don't tear up.

But yeah, Cloud looks a little more lively in the remake. I like that.

Edit: It also pains me that Ayaka's song "Why" isn't available on any streaming services. It's not a part of the Crisis Core OST either. :(

Last edited:

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
This is pretty much how I feel. I HATED Cloud with his personality of an earthworm in FFVII, and Zack was an extremely impactful character in Crisis Core. That final scene...go watch it again and tell me you don't tear up.

But yeah, Cloud looks a little more lively in the remake. I like that.

Oh, you don't have to convince me about Zack and Crisis Core's ending! I was a mess the first time I saw that, and despite multiple subsequent viewings I've never been able to get through it with dry eyes. Not even once. It's brutal, but also so beautifully handled. I'd say it's a very rare example of genuinely mature storytelling in a Final Fantasy game. (Not that mature = good and less mature = bad across the board, but it was great to see so much of Crisis Core and its heavy narrative themes handled with quiet grace even as Gackt is reciting ridiculous poetry and crazy anime madness is happening all around.)

Deleted member 46477

Banned
Aug 6, 2018
Oh, you don't have to convince me about Zack and Crisis Core's ending! I was a mess the first time I saw that, and despite multiple subsequent viewings I've never been able to get through it with dry eyes. Not even once. It's brutal, but also so beautifully handled. I'd say it's a very rare example of genuinely mature storytelling in a Final Fantasy game. (Not that mature = good and less mature = bad across the board, but it was great to see so much of Crisis Core and its heavy narrative themes handled with quiet grace even as Gackt is reciting ridiculous poetry and crazy anime madness is happening all around.)
I'm so excited for Genesis because of the ridiculousness of it all, hahaha. I hope we get a glimpse of him again.

But yeah, when Zack is all "You are my...living legacy" and Clouds face is smeared with Zacks blood...that's when the waterworks start flowing, even though I think they started in the battle before.

That's another thing!! The final battle's randomizer and how it changes up to be his memories! That was so well done and just made that whole ending that much better.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
Thankfully, there's no way to incorporate Geostigma without moving the ending cutscene to the beginning of the game.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
All we need right now is people screaming, "AERITH BELONGS TO TIFA", and "CLOUD BELONGS TO BARRET" for this to be legit like one of those old school Final Fantasy 7 forums I used to frequent. Anyone have good fanfiction to post?

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Considering they're going to expand on the story, the shit from the FF7 compilation series is the lowest of the low-hanging fruit and it wouldn't make sense if they didn't do it unless you have a intense personal dislike against the stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
This is actually something I really disagree with. I am someone who really really doesn't like any of the post ff7 Zack stuff and thought it undermined what I perceived to be the point of his character in the original game to make him into a "cooler" character, and it never sat right with me.

They have turned him into a superman hero who I would understand why anyone would idolize whereas I felt the purpose of his character was that he was just "normal" and it showed how broken Cloud's mind was that it was some guy who got offed by 2 grunts that it chose to copy. The fact that they made him into the cool forest gump of every past event of FF7 lore was fanfictiony to me.

Like I would honestly prefer some of the really dumb stuff introduced in the compilation games over canonizing hero Zack.
I liked Zack well enough in Crisis Core, but I agree. Cloud was a lonely child with no friends growing up. It made sense why he would immediately attach himself to someone who showed him even a small amount of kindness. Zack didn't need to be some amazing hero for Cloud to idolize him.

All we need right now is people screaming, "AERITH BELONGS TO TIFA", and "CLOUD BELONGS TO BARRET" for this to be legit like one of those old school Final Fantasy 7 forums I used to frequent. Anyone have good fanfiction to post?
In some of these FF7 threads, I already feel an undercurrent of a shipping war brewing. cloti 4 lyfe

Oct 25, 2017
I've loved everything I've seen so far so I will give them the benefit of the doubt until Part 1 is out.

Fuck the compilation as a whole though and fuck Crisis Core.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully that doesn't include completely fucking up the personalities of the main characters

Plywood

Does not approve of this tag
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
tumblr_mbuar5chK01ridkofo3_250.gif

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I liked Zack well enough in Crisis Core, but I agree. Cloud was a lonely child with no friends growing up. It made sense why he would immediately attach himself to someone who showed him even a small amount of kindness. Zack didn't need to be some amazing hero for Cloud to idolize him.

And that's the thing. I also liked Crisis Core, I just really didn't like what it did to the overall story of FF7. It was never how much of a hero or how strong Zack was that Cloud's mind envied, as in the original game I felt that he was always "stronger" in that regard. It was the thing Cloud lacked, personality and self esteem. Maiking him (Zack) better in every regard was just unneeded.

In general I hate it when "sequels" do that, make the new main character "better" at the expense of the old ones.

In some of these FF7 threads, I already feel an undercurrent of a shipping war brewing.

Pandering to shippers is why I hate relationship plotlines in most things. You can never get actual closure since they want to keep milking it/not make one side angry.

I really love how this remake is looking but it looks like it could go a lot of places I really would rather it didn't storywise. :c

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Again can someone please explain why Genesis is hated as someone who hasn't played Crisis Core? Read a story summary and still don't get it

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I wouldn't mind a secret super boss fight with Genesis, a malformed Angeal, and maybe even the Jenova triplets.

Would help make up for KH3's lack of secret bosses.

Oct 25, 2017
To all the peeps criticizing Zack's death scene in CC... I see you, and I love you. There are dozens of us. ✊✊✊

I found him to be a really enjoyable protagonist in his own right (when I played the game like 10 years ago but watching cutscenes more recently I still like him well enough) but I can't stand how much he undermines Cloud in the story. No tears from me over that fanfiction ass ending.

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
Ridiculous hypobole aside, all this likely means is we get some more insight on Zacks character, and his death will be more akin to Crisis Core than FF7.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Crisis Core's rendition of Aerith's theme is the best too. The western style is just glorious.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To all the peeps criticizing Zack's death scene in CC... I see you, and I love you. There are dozens of us. ✊✊✊

I found him to be a really enjoyable protagonist in his own right (when I played the game like 10 years ago but watching cutscenes more recently I still like him well enough) but I can't stand how much he undermines Cloud in the story. No tears from me over that fanfiction ass ending.
Zack undermines every single character in 7.

The Midas retcon touch they gave him is disgusting. I'll never get over what they did to Aerith 🤢

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Gackt is Kuja with all the melodrama ramped up to eleven. Which is dumb because Kuja was already Kefka, but worse.
Genesis IS basically taking the idea of Kuja and applying it to the FFVII world: A genetically engineered that was imperfect and dying, became aware of his mortality and went batshit insane (then somewhat turning "good" at the end). Oh yeah, and both love quoting poetric and speaking eloquently.

Sephiroth was FFVII's Kefka, but at least with Sephiroth, they went out of their way to do something different enough to distinguish the two from each other.

bagandscalpel

Oct 25, 2017
Surely you cannot wait for when they reveal how Zack single-handedly crippling the Shinra military forces in his final stand causes a lack of the company's manpower in all major events of FF7 proper, which is how the main team is able to do everything they do when it comes to sneaking and infiltrating Shinra compounds!

Peacemillian

Oct 25, 2017
Zack was a 1st class soldier, in the same bracket as Sephiroth. Obviously not as powerful but it made no sense him being taken out by two grunts.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Zack was a 1st class soldier, in the same bracket as Sephiroth. Obviously not as powerful but it made no sense him being taken out by two grunts.

It doesn't matter how strong a character is, seeing them fight that many soldiers is pure stupidity. It is straight out of an anime made for children. That is some DBZ shit.

Surely you cannot wait for when they reveal how Zack single-handedly crippling the Shinra military forces in his final stand causes a lack of the company's manpower in all major events of FF7 proper, which is how the main team is able to do everything they do when it comes to sneaking and infiltrating Shinra compounds!

Ha, that ain't bad. Honestly, if they are going to include an iteration of that Crisis Core scene they should definitely do this. Just go full parody. At least it would be fun that way.

Deleted member 925

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I totally expect Advent Children level of bullshit. I want things streamlined yet they're padding the game, which the modern Square has a major problem with when it comes to story.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Grunt Cloud defeated Sephiroth at Nibelheim, pre mako poisoning and all. Catch a 1st class at the right time, you can take em.

You must be remembering that wrong... I'm pretty sure Sephiroth had to fight thousands of Clouds. Cloud's power level was too low at that point to beat Sephiroth, so that is the only logical explanation.