• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Many compare The Last Story to being a sorta "spiritual FF". There are aspects I can see there, but others in gameplay and such that aren't as refined. From what I recall, Sakaguchi had the idea for Lost Odyssey back while he was with Square. I could only imagine, him making it into a number installment of the FF series it would've come out similar, but different. The look, totally would be different (probably would be Nomura characters, Amano illustrations, Minaba or Kamikokuryo art direction. Uematsu would still be the composer, but we'd have Square Enix folk refining the gameplay up to FF par). It's a what if scenario, at most. Nothing to lose sleep over, but still a wonderful dream.

Sometimes I feel like I'm an insane person in a sane world wanting this series to move forward over living in the past or prolonging the present. Sometimes I feel like the only one that was content with the way OG FFVII ended, not wanting anything more of that world and left it completely satisfied and happy.

As a former Square employee, it's quite obvious that Sakaguchi purposely emphasizes the FF callbacks in the Mistwalker games. It's an attempt at recapturing the old glory and also winking at the audience in a "Hey 'member this?" fashion. Meanwhile the people at SE are free to try new things in FF and to let the past die because they already have the brand power for themselves. That's why some people feel Mistwalker games are more faithful to FF than the modern FFs are.

You can see that with Masato Kato too. Ever since he left Square his stories have been nothing but callbacks to Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross in a rather sad attempt at staying relevant. It culminated recently in Another Eden where a Frog lookalike literally named Cyrus has an attack called Nirvana Slash (which was the Japanese name of the Nirvana Strike attack used by Cyrus in Chrono Trigger).

Traxus

Spirit Tamer
Jan 2, 2018
Peter Jackson didnt wrote the Hobbit, nojima, Nomura and kitase did.
Its closer to Tolkien expanding the Hobbit than Jackson
I hope so! Or it could end up closer to Lucas expanding the Star Wars. What we've seen so far looks really cool, I'm just skeptical.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PoryQdW.jpg

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
As a former Square employee, it's quite obvious that Sakaguchi purposely emphasizes the FF callbacks in the Mistwalker games. It's an attempt at recapturing the old glory and also winking at the audience in a "Hey 'member this?" fashion. Meanwhile the people at SE are free to try new things in FF and to let the past die because they already have the brand power for themselves. That's why some people feel Mistwalker games are more faithful to FF than the modern FFs are.

You can see that with Masato Kato too. Ever since he left Square his stories have been nothing but callbacks to Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross in a rather sad attempt at staying relevant. It culminated recently in Another Eden where a Frog lookalike literally named Cyrus has an attack called Nirvana Slash (which was the Japanese name of the Nirvana Strike attack used by Cyrus in Chrono Trigger).

I don't want them to cling to the past, but I feel bad when people say FFVII's original plot was crap, and to bring on the new stuff. Isn't the "new stuff" (everything that came with Dirge, Advent Children and Crisis Core) far worse than what we had in 1997? I wouldn't be against new things, but I don't exactly trust some of these guys if given free reign.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017

Y'know, I always had HOPED to have seen a day where Masato Kato fully helmed a new Final Fantasy game. That, and having either a full score by Mitsuda or something similar to CT (Uematsu contributing some songs) would've fuckin' ROCKED!

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
I don't want them to cling to the past, but I feel bad when people say FFVII's original plot was crap, and to bring on the new stuff. Isn't the "new stuff" (everything that came with Dirge, Advent Children and Crisis Core) far worse than what we had in 1997? I wouldn't be against new things, but I don't exactly trust some of these guys if given free reign.
Not only that, but the whole "People LOVED FFVII, and that's why we want a remake!!!" only to hear so many people saying, "Uh, well, FFVII sucked, that's why I want the Remake to make it BETTER... like FFVII Comiplation did!" is mindblowing.

It's also awakened that contempt I've had towards FFVII fans post FFVII. The ones that, after FFVII, online where "tEh Cl0uD & TeH S3pH4oth r tEH B3sT!!!", clamoring for more Cloud and MORE Sephiroth in everything, the shining stars of Final Fantasy that everything should revolve around. The mentality that gave way to the FFVII Compilation, and now, FFVII Compilation fanboys clamoring for more Zack, more Loveless, more Angeal, more Cissnei. It's hitting me similarly to if some Star Wars prequel stan was here shouting, "MORE JAR JAR!!! MORE TRADE NEGOTIATIONS!!!"

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Do people forget Genesis isn't even conscious/available during the events of FF7?
Don't worry about it, they'll find a way. BC FULLY concluded are the beginning of FFVII (RIGHT at the beginning, if I'm correct). Deepground was locked in a containment vault under Midgar during FFVII, only to be released via Meteor. Geostigma was a result of defeating Sephiroth at the end of FFVII and his essence and cells dispersing throughout the Lifestream. They are going to find some way to cram all those things into the game itself (if not this one, some episode going forward).

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry about it, they'll find a way. BC FULLY concluded are the beginning of FFVII (RIGHT at the beginning, if I'm correct). Deepground was locked in a containment vault under Midgar during FFVII, only to be released via Meteor. Geostigma was a result of defeating Sephiroth at the end of FFVII and his essence and cells dispersing throughout the Lifestream. They are going to find some way to cram all those things into the game itself (if not this one, some episode going forward).
weapon broke the containment instead of meteor, then we see him
JGpM.gif

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
Not only that, but the whole "People LOVED FFVII, and that's why we want a remake!!!" only to hear so many people saying, "Uh, well, FFVII sucked, that's why I want the Remake to make it BETTER... like FFVII Comiplation did!" is mindblowing.

It's also awakened that contempt I've had towards FFVII fans post FFVII. The ones that, after FFVII, online where "tEh Cl0uD & TeH S3pH4oth r tEH B3sT!!!", clamoring for more Cloud and MORE Sephiroth in everything, the shining stars of Final Fantasy that everything should revolve around. The mentality that gave way to the FFVII Compilation, and now, FFVII Compilation fanboys clamoring for more Zack, more Loveless, more Angeal, more Cissnei. It's hitting me similarly to if some Star Wars prequel stan was here shouting, "MORE JAR JAR!!! MORE TRADE NEGOTIATIONS!!!"

I don't want to judge anyone on their preferences, I really can't act like the way I want something to be is the right way, without coming off as judgmental or elitist. So all I can ask is they keep it the same, by expanding/developing characters based on the original material, keeping it true to that vision. That should be the anchor to keep things grounded. I think that's what's most important.

One thing a lot of newer games are also missing are the basic sound chips that limited what you were able to do, which led to a lot more melodic tunes that imo are more impactful than a lot of the orchestral stuff that just blends into the background so I'm happy to see that for the most part, the integral authenticity of the OST is still intact.

I can't wait to hear this song, based on people who have played the demo's reactions. So unsettling and just sets the tone so well, the music can't be understated. Crisis Core had some good songs, but still not on the level of the original.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, I always had HOPED to have seen a day where Masato Kato fully helmed a new Final Fantasy game. That, and having either a full score by Mitsuda or something similar to CT (Uematsu contributing some songs) would've fuckin' ROCKED!

Kato did write FFXI up until Rise of Zeal-- er, I mean, Rise of the Zilart. Kato and Hiromichi Tanaka even wanted Mitsuda for FFXI but Mitsuda was unfortunately busy with other projects and couldn't commit to scoring an MMORPG.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017

I want off this train

There is a reason FF6 is still the best FF ever made

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
The problem is, their designs and character are complete dogshit and are basically the columniation of the worst parts of Nomura.

Not saying I want them, just saying why from a story perspective they could absolutely show up. I think pretty much the entire compilation is a misfire that at best is misguided fanwank and at worst fundamentally misunderstands what made FF7 great

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Kato did write FFXI up until Rise of Zeal-- er, I mean, Rise of the Zilart. Kato and Hiromichi Tanaka even wanted Mitsuda for FFXI but Mitsuda was unfortunately busy with other projects and couldn't commit to scoring an MMORPG.
Well, I meant a non-MMORPG one, but regardless, I was a big fan of FFXI's music and I remember hearing how they wanted Mitsuda for FFXI. That's one sitaution where I bit my bottom lip and said, "Oh my god, that would've been SOOOOOO GOOD!!!"

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
FFVI is my favorite as well, but FFVII is my second favorite.

EDIT: Fuck, I double posted.

I will weep tears if after all this build up and all these emotions get ruined by the inclusion of the wrong elements of the compilation

Outside of cheeky easter eggs or references they should bury almost all of it forever and focus on FF fucking 7 and delivering on the goods

Even citing compilation material feels like a dangerous distraction and concerns me greatly

Nov 2, 2017
Considering part 1 is going to be all Midgar, it makes sense they're throwing everything they have including the kitchen sink at this remake.

logash

Oct 27, 2017
I gotta play Dirge of Cerberus. Just got it recently on my PS2 so I will definitely get that done before 03/03/2020.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
Not saying I want them, just saying why from a story perspective they could absolutely show up. I think pretty much the entire compilation is a misfire that at best is misguided fanwank and at worst fundamentally misunderstands what made FF7 great
That's pretty much how I saw FFVII. I know people would jump aboard and say, "B-but, many of those games were made but he guys that made FFVII!!! They know what FFVII is all about!", but sometimes it feels like the difference between actually getting down and KNOWING the game, or knowing it at a superficial level. The Compilation doesn't feel like they legeitimately believed they could make FFVII's overall story and lore BETTER, more than they could appease the rabid fanbase through fanservice. It's like the vid by Jim Sterling made after the State of Play trailer. I'm more "hopeful" than he is, but when he said these things, it did reawaken that worried part of me I forgot was around when I began feeling the disappointment pangs of the FFVII Compilation:

I will weep tears if after all this build up and all these emotions get ruined by the inclusion of the wrong elements of the compilation

Outside of cheeky easter eggs or references they should bury almost all of it forever and focus on FF fucking 7 and delivering on the goods

Even citing compilation material feels like a dangerous distraction and concerns me greatly
See, if it was JUST easter eggs, like that Banora apple thing (Banora was an easter egg in FFXV too) or shit like that, I'd be fine with it. I actually would.

But shoehorning Compilation shit into FFVII Remake... "just because", nah. It's sickening as it is for people to say, "Hey, I hope to see more Zack in Episode 1! I've loved Zack in Crisis Core, and because it's taking place in Midgar, that means Zack HAS to show up, right?!". Seriously... are these people for real?!

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Why people doesn't like Gackt/Genesis? I like it.

Geg

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that cool backstory that explains how Cloud and Sephiroth know each other and why Sephiroth turned out like he did? Actually Gackt's OC was there reading poetry the whole time and he's the one who told sephiroth about his past he's behind it all

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
he's a bad villain that likes to read poetry in every scene he appears, its a little annoying, i dont like him, but i find it funny how people hate him so much.
Now before I say this, there's always been a level of anime-ness in FFs, but with the FFVII Compilation, FFVII was dipped DEEP into anime foolishness. I remember that one person posting the vid from Crisis Core criticizing Zack's VA. His VA wasn't the only thing bad about that scene (dialog was cringeworthy). I guess, for fans of anime like that (the kinda that love to do their Naruto jutsu poses with their friends when they attend anime expos and, to this day, are still doing the Caramelldansen Popotan dance like it's new) might be enthralled with that kinda story telling. Good for them, but I'm not.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Just to reiterate, everyone here is making VERY LARGE assumptions as to what will or won't be included. Nomura saying settings from compilation and that the story will be delved into deeper does not automatically mean Genesis will be there in any way. We don't know exactly what it means one way or another. So maybe wait until you actually see what's in the game before you freak out?

JayBabay

Oct 25, 2017
California
Just to reiterate, everyone here is making VERY LARGE assumptions as to what will or won't be included. Nomura saying settings from compilation and that the story will be delved into deeper does not automatically mean Genesis will be there in any way. We don't know exactly what it means one way or another. So maybe wait until you actually see what's in the game before you freak out?

If he hasn't blatantly pointed out that the things fans hate won't be included, then he might be oblivious to the public opinion on his maligned characters or can't accept that something he had a hand in isn't universally loved. :p

Raonak

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I like they're mixing it up and not making it a 1:1 remake.

More Zack is always a good thing.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Y'all keep talking about Genesis but no one ever remembers "Weiss the Immaculate"

latest

dude's art direction was basically "make it look like he's in the wrong franchise".

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
More Zack is always a good thing.

This is actually something I really disagree with. I am someone who really really doesn't like any of the post ff7 Zack stuff and thought it undermined what I perceived to be the point of his character in the original game to make him into a "cooler" character, and it never sat right with me.

They have turned him into a superman hero who I would understand why anyone would idolize whereas I felt the purpose of his character was that he was just "normal" and it showed how broken Cloud's mind was that it was some guy who got offed by 2 grunts that it chose to copy. The fact that they made him into the cool forest gump of every past event of FF7 lore was fanfictiony to me.

Like I would honestly prefer some of the really dumb stuff introduced in the compilation games over canonizing hero Zack.