• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
We haven't even played the game yet lol. Zack getting a couple of scenes in the original one of which was optional. There are plenty of fans that actually like Zack especially after Crisis Core. Regardless of what people here would have you think. Of course they'll add "more" of him to the game. Whether that be cutscenes, references etc.

Oh don't get me wrong. I love Zack and his story is pivotal and intertwined with the core themes of the story

There was just.... so much weird shit they put in Crisis Core. They really only ever needed to focus on his story but then decided to add all this ancillary shit expanding the "lore" in places it never needed to go

That game needed a damn butcher knife taken to it in some respects

Oct 31, 2017
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Ugh

whatever

hopefully the fact that they'll go into more detail will make it better

Gives me an excuse to replay Dirge of Cerberus I suppose

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
All of the Deepground things from Dirge of Cerberus came way after Advent Children, never mind the original game, so they probably wouldn't be given priority. Elements from Crisis Core, though...

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Genesis is not going to be there, so y'all can breath. There's no way Gackt wants back on the game. Getting more Zack is good anyway.

Caiops

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kadaj is cool.

But Genesis...

Please don't Nomura.

Isn't Angeal still alive in the end of Crisis Core?

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
You know for all the hate Genesis rightfully gets, I still find him to be more interesting than Angeal. He was the most boring and confusing character in the game.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
If there has to be more Zack I hope they at least tone down his ridiculous Raditz hair, this is of vital importance

IzzyRX

Powered by Friendship™
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
lmao
I don't know why some people keep acting like EVERYTHING in the Compilation was bad.
We had a terrible thing(Genesis) and the people keep assuming that everything else is shitty too. Spoiler: it's not.
And Nomura isn't just gonna put everything there, he's gonna use only what's makes sense to him. I'm sure that Genesis nonsense will stay away from the game.
Crisis Core does a good job in fleshing out Zack, Before Crisis gives background on the old AVALANCHE, the Turks, Midgar and Shinra, Dirge(not really a fan of that one tho) does a good job with Vincent(mostly).
There are good things to be taken from the Compilation, let's just hope he doesn't take the bad ones.

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
I wouldn't be surprised if those Guardians of Fate black ghosts things are retconned to be the non-corporeal form of the Sephiroth remnants (The Advent Children trio) before they are actually willed into a physical being... but serving the same role the Jenova renuion creeps originally served in early versions of FF7's script (which matches up to what we've seen so far)

That would be cool if done right, also we need more Zack.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
Would be kind of cool for playable Zack segments (short ones, maybe 20 minutes at a time) that are essentially Crisis Core via Cloud's memory fuckups.

Also agree with everyone else asking for Cissnei to come back somehow.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Maybe Genesis will get a cameo as a Genesis copy as a secret boss.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
All of the Deepground things from Dirge of Cerberus came way after Advent Children, never mind the original game, so they probably wouldn't be given priority. Elements from Crisis Core, though...

I mean, Deepground was founded and the underground reactor beneath ShinRa HQ built 30 years before FF7, and that's established in the lore, so you very well might encounter Deepground people in FF7R. The story detail in the background of Dirge is that the Deepground people were sealed in their nuclear bunker style deal directly underneath Shinra Tower for the Meteor event and were trapped there for years because of it. So they're around during FF7.

Deepground is just a top-secret military organization (even above SOLDIER), after all, so if they expand out and have many more hours of you as part of AVALANCHE attacking Shinra and evading capture, you might come into contact with one of them. And given they're supposed to be super-SUPER soldiers even more powerful still, they might make pretty good additional boss candidates, especially since the Midgar chapter of FF7 is lacking in non-Shinra robot bosses.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
If they are going to do this they need to "REIMAGINE" the SHIT out of what they did before

Maybe if they retcon all the shitty aspect out those fucking "extras" could be more compellingly adapted in

Uhhhhhh.... just make sure a certain writer isn't in the room when you slice and dice his creations lol

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cloud struggling with his identity after being abused by an evil corporation is way more interesting than most of the Crisis Core stuff. I'm not sure why he's a shitty character, could you expand on that?

Honestly Crisis Core did a lot for him, because from Final Fantasy VII alone it just felt like "Cloud is living a lie, Zack's the real hero." But as your said mako experiments and all that doesn't make it his fault. He's well written, I just don't like him as a character, same with Sephiroth. It's funny how Final Fantasy VII was my favorite one until XV even though I despise Cloud and Sephiroth lol

Oct 31, 2017
I mean, we should have known this already. In the first Remake reveal trailer in 2015, they showed a train to SOUTH EDGE which was part of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.

Honestly, as long as it's Zack and not Genesis, Angeal, and Deepground, I can handle it.

Same here. My main beef is with Genesis. I honestly don't remember much about Deepground at all

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I will take Cloud going "I wonder how's Sora, Goofy and Donald doing..." over any Gackt cameo.
Then Tifa asks him who are they and he explains in detail how he met a boy with giant key and a talking duck/dog.

1343400378KH+Cloud.jpg

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"More Zack can only be a good thing"

Just like Crisis Core failed to tell a compelling story in 20 hours whereas FF7 succeeded in the 15 minutes flashback

I'm glad that Crisis Core established that Zack Fair was an idiotic war criminal who killed foreign people to become "FIRST CLASS" the shonen way without a tinge of irony. Really makes me care about him
i agree its very weird the way the wutai war was handled in crisis core, if this appears in the remake i hope the direction changes to something dramatic and serious and not the way crisis core handled it.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I have no problem with this. Pretty much expected.
I feel like one of the only other people not dreading the very idea of incorporating Compilation elements myself.
I mean, Deepground was founded and the underground reactor beneath ShinRa HQ built 30 years before FF7, and that's established in the lore, so you very well might encounter Deepground people in FF7R. The story detail in the background of Dirge is that the Deepground people were sealed in their nuclear bunker style deal directly underneath Shinra Tower for the Meteor event and were trapped there for years because of it. So they're around during FF7.

Deepground is just a top-secret military organization (even above SOLDIER), after all, so if they expand out and have many more hours of you as part of AVALANCHE attacking Shinra and evading capture, you might come into contact with one of them. And given they're supposed to be super-SUPER soldiers even more powerful still, they might make pretty good additional boss candidates, especially since the Midgar chapter of FF7 is lacking in non-Shinra robot bosses.
Indeed, they are still around long before DoC itself happens, just questioning the likelihood of them actually showing up in any capacity to meet Cloud and crew before then (though accounting for more of them could give them something to draw from for additional bosses, as you've said).

Jan 2, 2018
cloud got back to number 1 last year, zack popularity dropped it seems, but he's still popular, this is the nico poll from last year

1. Cloud (6059 votes)
  • 2. Sephiroth (3789 votes)
  • 3. Tidus (2745 votes)
  • 4. Yuna (2600 votes)
  • 5. Squall (2561 votes)
  • 6. Lightning (2215 votes)
  • 7. Tifa (2150 votes)
  • 8. Bartz (1471 votes)
  • 9. Locke (1393 votes)
  • 10. Noctis (1379 votes)
  • 11. Auron (1370 votes)
  • 12. Cecil (1362 votes)
  • 13. Terra (1340 votes)
  • 14. Zack Fair (1296 votes)
  • 15. Zidane (1154 votes)

Zack should be 1, followed by Auron.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I can't wait to fight Weiss, the iconic antagonist of Dirge of Cerberus. Or learn the deep lore of DEEP GROUND.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
"More Zack can only be a good thing"

Just like Crisis Core failed to tell a compelling story in 20 hours whereas FF7 succeeded in the 15 minutes flashback

I'm glad that Crisis Core established that Zack Fair was an idiotic war criminal who killed foreign people to become "FIRST CLASS" the shonen way without a tinge of irony. Really makes me care about him
100% agree with this, same how his death in the OG was this to the point execution by Shinra soldiers without any fanfare where you felt so bad for him, while in the CC it was ridiculous over the top melodramatic shit.

Oct 25, 2017

The problem is, their designs and character are complete dogshit and are basically the columniation of the worst parts of Nomura.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
I will take Cloud going "I wonder how's Sora, Goofy and Donald doing..." over any Gackt cameo.
Then Tifa asks him who are they and he explains in detail how he met a boy with giant key and a talking duck/dog.

1343400378KH+Cloud.jpg

An old diary written by child Cloud in which he wrote down what he remembered about dreams he had that heavily reference KH. Tifa found it at some point and kept it

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Zack is cool. Wouldn't mind more scenes of him, but only after Cloud gets his shit together. So no Zack in Part One. Hint at him, but don't show him.
No Genesis. He's a deviantart OC given life.
Expand the Turks. They're cool.
The remnants shouldn't exist yet. If anything, show Sephiroth having a mastery of each respective weapon.

Orion

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Let us embrace whatever it brings~

I for one am excited to finally find out what happened to Cissnei.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
GY4p.gif

#EvenIfTheMorrowIsBarrenOfPromisesNothingShallForstallMyReturn

Let's get this hashtag started, people!

For real though, I'm sure it's just a few internal consistency things they want to do to make stuff flow better, and perhaps spice up the Midgar only first part. I doubt they'd put Genesis into the original in any meaningful way, since that'd distort the main story and be kinda unnecessary.

I certainly wouldn't mind anything most people would consider "worst case scenario," like making him a party member, but keep it real, pessimists, it isn't going to happen.

I wonder how they could do it though? There's a lot of stuff to use to spice up the game without touching the main story...

Maybe they'll have a LOVELESS play actually go on, and you can invite a party member or Jessie to see it. Maybe Aerith will bring up more about her boyfriend, what they used to do and how she misses him, without saying who it is, since that would mess things up going that far. Maybe the Turk Cissnei shows up as a bossfight in a sidequest in Midgar, or outside the main Turk trio?(Crisis Core)

Or maybe they'll bring up that there was an Original Avalance that struck fear into the hearts of ShinRa, and Barret will proudly declare his continuing of their legacy for the planet. Maybe the Zirconade Materia will show up as a summon somewhere? Perhaps one of the Turks from Before Crisis will be seen retired as an NPC in Midgar? (Before Crisis)

Maybe the Galian Beast and Chaos Forms will be controllable in a similar way that they were in Dirge of Cerberus, or perhaps DeepGround will be present in a few side quests hinting at an underground organization acting seperate from ShinRa's orders outside of Midgar. (Dirge of Cerberus)

There are a ton of ways Compliation Content can be included without being shoehorned in as a big dumb reference, or tainting the major narrative. I look forward to seeing what they come up with!

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Zack is cool. Wouldn't mind more scenes of him, but only after Cloud gets his shit together. So no Zack in Part One. Hint at him, but don't show him.
No Genesis. He's a deviantart OC given life.
Expand the Turks. They're cool.
The remnants shouldn't exist yet. If anything, show Sephiroth having a mastery of each respective weapon.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Cissnei appear with the other Turks retroactively. Genesis being based on Gackt's likeness seems like the biggest obstacle to him being a thing again.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly Crisis Core did a lot for him, because from Final Fantasy VII alone it just felt like "Cloud is living a lie, Zack's the real hero." But as your said mako experiments and all that doesn't make it his fault. He's well written, I just don't like him as a character, same with Sephiroth. It's funny how Final Fantasy VII was my favorite one until XV even though I despise Cloud and Sephiroth lol

So more his personality than his story? You know this I'm sure, but the player is supposed to connect the dots between Cloud, Sephiroth and Zack. You see how all three handled and responded to certain things. Sephiroth loses his humanity, Cloud compartmentalizes the stuff he couldn't handle and Zack being the strongest of all, dies for his friend.

I think people like all the stuff surrounding Sephiroth, his boss music, his sword, etc. His character motivations are largely suspect, I hazard a guess that most of us wouldn't respond with a god complex if we were told we were essentially part alien.

Nephtes

Oct 27, 2017
If Genesis or Angeal show up outside of a casual mention...

I'll write an angry internet forum post about it.

I mean honestly that's about as much as we can do. Everyone is going to buy this game (twice if you also want it on XOne X when it finally lands there)...