• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
From a magazine, but I don't think we are allowed to post scans here. Here's the quote.

" >FFVIIのコンピレーション作品で判明した設定が新たに盛り込まれたりと、ストリーの面でも厚みが増やしている"
">Settings established in the FFVII Compilation works are newly incorporated and the story has been delved more deeply into."

EMBRACE THE MADNESS
giphy.gif

BitesizedPossibleJunco-size_restricted.gif

giphy.gif

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Didn't Nomura say he would focus on the original game instead?

What is the point of a remake if you're going to include all the terrible filth that came after?

Oct 25, 2017
Just because the game is going to incorporate some elements from Compilation materials doesn't mean it's going to incorporate everything from them.

But yes, Genesis was pretty bad in Crisis Core.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I wouldn't be surprised if those Guardians of Fate black ghosts things are retconned to be the non-corporeal form of the Sephiroth remnants (The Advent Children trio) before they are actually willed into a physical being... but serving the same role the Jenova renuion creeps originally served in early versions of FF7's script (which matches up to what we've seen so far)

banter

Jan 12, 2018
That's good, Zack was very undersold in the original so it's good that they'll push more into his story. Curious if Genesis will show up or not.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Nomura say he would focus on the original game instead?

What is the point of a remake if you're going to include all the terrible filth that came after?

Because this isn't a 1:1 remake. Yall gotta stop acting like it is. The main story of the game will not be changed. That doesn't mean they won't add things to flesh out certain things. You'll probably get more Zack and I wouldn't be shocked if things from Dirge are brought in to help flesh out Jenova and Sephiroths origins.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Compilation, anyone give a brief explanation as to why this Genesis character is so hated?

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Sephiroth hallucinations you see in the game that throw Jenova body parts at you are totally gonna be these clowns huh, GIVE IT TO ME.

Combined with Jenova DNA these dudes pretty much become him anyway, so why not. Maximum fuckery
fd0ad4107d77137a01f5b0475c37c1c7.jpg

Fixed that for you. Disc 1 itself is gonna be 3 games at this rate.

Gun

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this means more Zack and less...everything else in the complication, lol.
This
We need more Zack in the story.

And I never played Dirge of Cerberus, but maybe there's some stuff of that game that they can use to Vincent

Just keep Genesis and everything about Advent Children out of this game

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
Turning a neat little My Bloody Valentine reference into some possibly prophetic Shakespearean play the proto-Cloud/Sephiroth wannabe obsesses over sums up everything lame about the Compilation.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
God no. They should clean sweep everything but the original source material (FF7).

Nov 23, 2017
I mean, we should have known this already. In the first Remake reveal trailer in 2015, they showed a train to SOUTH EDGE which was part of Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.

Honestly, as long as it's Zack and not Genesis, Angeal, and Deepground, I can handle it.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Fuuuuuuuuck Genesis. I have been fully on board with this remake and them fucking with anything/everything. But, that piece of shit character is an absolute hype killer for me. I don't even want to see his name written on a piece of paper in the shinra building.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
This
We need more Zack in the story.

And I never played Dirge of Cerberus, but maybe there's some stuff of that game that they can use to Vincent

Just keep Genesis and everything about Advent Children out of this game

While Dirge takes place after FF7, a vast majority of the story is backfill information about Sephiroth, Jenova, Lucretia, etc etc. Which of course adds a lot to Vincent as well. But I'd fully expect a lot of that stuff to find its way into the remake in some form as part of fleshing out Sephiroth.

A lot of Dirge is really bonkers compared to FF7 and feels very FF13-ish in terms of the visuals (like, look at Omega compared to a Shinra tech or even a Weapon... it's a very different style), the Regenesis org looking like fuckin' Star Ocean characters, etc.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I TOLD Y'ALL HE'S COMING
genesis-wing.jpg

You can talk shit about a lot of what Square Enix and Final Fantasy games do (hell, they had fodder for many years with 13 and 15). To me this stuff was the worst.

Nomura: WH-WH-WHAAAAT UEMATSU WROTE A SONG CALLED """ ONE WINGED ANGEL""".... AAAH THAT'S COOL.

*draws it on a bunch of characters*

*creates Genesis Rhapsodos based on J-rock-pop star Gackt*

latest

Nomura:
HEY REMEMBER THAT ONE ENGLISH POSTER IN THE FF7 INTRO? NOW IT'S A THING!

ALSO, WOULD THEY NOT JUST FLY IN CIRCLES???
I used to love Nomura so much as a teen, but I'm kinda just seeing a lot of cheese in his work these days.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean if yall want to play the original game. It's there. I'm all for them expanding the story. There's still a bunch of people out there straight up confused about a bunch of shit from the original game either due to poor translation, or it not being explained enough.

It's more than likely a few story references like more Zack and more stuff about Jenova and Sephiroths origins.

Dec 2, 2017
They said this back when the game was revealed. Of course, they will use things from the compilation to flesh out character backstories and the like.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Well there is the disappointment I needed to keep my hopes in check.

Even the good parts of the compilation are things that I think make the original story and characters worse. As much as I enjoyed Crisis Core I prefered Zack as a chump that died to two grunts instead of what they turned him into.