• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The idea that someone filed a sexual harassment claim against him over this is absurd.

Everyone knows that a 'dick-measuring contest' (or some variation of that phrase) is a metaphor.

enkaisu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pittsburgh
Definitely in the camp of 'while inappropriate, shouldn't have been fired over it' especially if this isn't even a reoccurring behavior.

Kelanflyter

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
France
The french wording for thé same metaphore is much less offensive i would Say. Less explicite.
« On ne vas pas jouer à qui a la plus grosse »
Which should translate to « we are not going to play who has the biggest»

Deleted member 2620

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
dude with a 256k salary is held to some standards and some people immediately start pearl-clutching over a "PC culture" boogeyman, lol

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Its just a more vulgar way of saying "a pissing match", which is already a vulgar way of saying "a competition".
It's crude but if people get fired for mentioning penises ("Don't be a knob") then 90% of the UK is getting sacked.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
The french wording for thé same metaphore is much less offensive i would Say. Less explicite.
« On ne vas pas jouer à qui a la plus grosse »
Which should translate to « we are not going to play who has the biggest»
That would be the same wording for the metaphor in English too - it's not normal to add the part about getting your **** out on the table bit. Which is sorta why it's extra inappropriate, it's not even the normal metaphor and it's more graphic.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Talking about "pulling your dick out" in any capacity at work, even as a metaphor, and especially when talking to a woman colleague, is just stupid as fuck and I don't understand why it needs any defense

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Multi-way video call" seems to be what got him fired nearly immediately here. (aka bosses were watching and very unhappy)

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
The "pulling your dick out" part is really bad and you shouldn't say that shit at work (during a conference call even) at all, but the dick measuring part I don't believe is that bad since pretty much everyone know it's a metaphor with no sexual connotations intended, so firing him for that would've been bad, the complete sentence is very unfortunate and I can't defend that.

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
What he said is rude, inappropriate and stupid. He has above average education, he could have made a better argument.
I can not judge a person from one known stupid act of them but people in high positions should behave exemplary because they are the face of the company and they should do better not to hurt the company's reputation. That aside from the sexist remark or the supposed intent of it.

Firing him was a good choice of EA.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
This dude is dumb as fuck. You don't say this shit at work. You don't say it on a conference call. You don't say it in reference to another coworker. You don't say it with your bosses around.

Why are people saying this firing is unjust? The fuck?

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man I can't imagine being part of mega corporate office environment. Oil and gas/construction at my level is still fairly lax with language. Folks are throwing fucks and shits left and right during phone/office meetings. Though admittedly any gendered or genitalia obscenity is non existent.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
My boss said it to me once, though if it came down to it I'm pretty sure I had her beat.

That would be the same wording for the metaphor in English too - it's not normal to add the part about getting your **** out on the table bit. Which is sorta why it's extra inappropriate, it's not even the normal metaphor and it's more graphic.

Yeah, the problem here is this guy forgot he was at work and not in a Quentin Tarantino movie shoot.

Sucks for him but he probably knew the type of shit people expected of him but got too relaxed around his colleagues.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
There has to be more to it than that. C-Suite folks can skate for a lot more than that if the company wants to keep them around. Either he was doing more and worse and this was just the thing they could pin on him or he was right and they were trying to undermine him and force him out and just used this as an excuse.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
There has to be more to it than that. C-Suite folks can skate for a lot more than that if the company wants to keep them around. Either he was doing more and worse and this was just the thing they could pin on him or he was right and they were trying to undermine him and force him out and just used this as an excuse.
This is where I'm at. I've never really worked with EA directly, but I've been in talks with a fair few publishers (some linked to EA) and whilst someone might end up getting a warning for saying something unprofessional (if it was reported, which it almost would never be, because things can be surprisingly lax) you'd never see a senior get fired for using vulgar language. There could well be more to this.

aerozombie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's idiotic he was fired. It was clearly not sexual, and this was an internal conversation between high ranking individuals. My money is the girl did this to oust the guy to get his job, would be a standard job move for a higher ranking position

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
My reaction to the first quote was he shouldn't be fired.

Then after reading the full context i'd say he crossed the "dick line" lol

Don't know what made him think that was a good thing to say to a female colleague.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's idiotic he was fired. It was clearly not sexual, and this was an internal conversation between high ranking individuals. My money is the girl did this to oust the guy to get his job, would be a standard job move for a higher ranking position
You know, while it may not have been a sexual comment, it's still inappropriate. It's something you can be fired for if your employer feels like you've undermined your position and the company. It's his own fault and let's hope he learns from it. Dude isn't owed the position.

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Oh what the fuck at so many here agreeing with the firing and calling him stupid. Really?!
There is absolutely an issue of sexual harassment in the corporate world, but this? If it happened as reported this is Nothing.

The poster that said something about him being stupid for even mentioning 'genitalia' to a woman was being 100% serious. Stop and let it register...
We have come to this?...

This forum has its heart in the right place and I love it, but fucking hell sometimes it loses the plot completely...

Ivory Samoan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New Zealand
I'm not sure how it rolls in other countries, but that type of remark is said pretty innocently here in NZ; but we usually call it a pissing contest, cause we're crude Kiwis etc.

Stupid as thing to say obviously in a professional environment, but pretty harsh being publicised like this I think (and fired).

I can't remember anyone even cursing on a conference call.

I was on a conference call earlier today with 2 x New Zealanders, and Aussie and an American (based in Aus)...and there was a lot of swearing..I think the Aussie was drunk even (holiday time and all lol), I think Euro/Australasians are far more chilled about this stuff than in the US (I used to live in Cali, feels about right).

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh what the fuck at so many here agreeing with the firing and calling him stupid. Really?!
There is absolutely an issue of sexual harassment in the corporate world, but this? If it happened as reported this is Nothing.

The poster that said something about him being stupid for even mentioning 'genitalia' to a woman was being 100% serious. Stop and let it register...
We have come to this?...

This forum has its heart in the right place and I love it, but fucking hell sometimes it loses the plot completely...
You read the update?

lexony

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda crazy if I think about it. I mean, I never met them. We're not buddies. And man, they say stuff.... I'm pretty sure you would get fired and sued immediatelly in the US. Kinda funny, because I work for an american company :P
It's a different culture. You can even swear on TV in most european countries.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Is no one reading the update?

Read the update, still dont think he should be fired if it was a single occurrence. If this is regular behavoir then sack him. However, if only one time then the company could of used it as a teaching moment showing how even those up high do stupid things and what not to do. You think adults should know that stuff but clearly they don't.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication

Changed it to something less knee jerky and requires posters to read OP

Bramblebutt

Banned
Jan 11, 2018
We have come to this?...

Indeed, imagine not being able to talk about whipping out your dick on an international conference call between high level management, PC culture amirite?

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
It's actually kinda interesting that he felt it entirely appropriate to prompt a dick measuring contest with a woman? In an odd way that's a sign of respect if both men and women can have metaphorical penises. Me? I prefer to term "gonads," for equality purposes.

No sympathy for someone who says something so stupid in a setting like that, though, christ.

Sun_Gaming_YT

Oct 25, 2017
Kansas
This isn't sexual harassment, reporting it as such undermines actual harassment, but then again, it's The Daily Mail, so they don't exactly care about what they're reporting.

This is however a case of someone saying something extremely stupid when they're supposed to be a professional Senior Director.

Was firing him a bit much? Maybe. I think a warning would have sufficed.

EDIT: Of course, we don't know if there has been a history of this with this guy, so that might change things.

Last edited:

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Next time a female co-worker says something about the competition being "pussies" or "lacking balls" to do whatever, imma gonna sue!

Genitalia metaphors in my office space? I cant have that no sir!

Half of my company would be unemployed by now if that was the case. Its a high stress job, sometimes people cant act like emotionless robots and parrot nothing but squeeky clean formal talk.

Deleted member 29939

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This is such an american reaction, part of this thread included.

Like the weird thing about never showing nipples on basic TV but heads exploding is fine.
Growing up I saw shitty soap operas here that had full on nudity, and it was airing right after dinner!

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
Yes yes, I'm sure everyone here if they started making inappropriate remarks six months after being hired at their job to complete strangers at work that they would totally get away with it without issue.

On the first day of work if I talk about my dick and get warned about it I'm gonna complain real loud and see how far that would get me. I'm sure it'll even get me a promotion!

Wrellie

Oct 29, 2017
Its just a more vulgar way of saying "a pissing match", which is already a vulgar way of saying "a competition".
It's crude but if people get fired for mentioning penises ("Don't be a knob") then 90% of the UK is getting sacked.

I couldn't even count the amount of times I've heard people say "I'm not getting into a pissing contest" at work. By both males and females.

Soldnerschild

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of people condemning the guy are using words like "what a dick", and sexual intercourse related words like "fucking", etc etc, even though obviously there are ladies here.

Quick to judge, slow to self improve.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like warnings were created for situations like this. Firing him for that is pretty damn harsh.

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I work at 70-person company. People in my department swear all the time, throw innuendos all the time. Some of the girls troll me with stuff like that too. It usually isn't hostile and we have a very good time, but again, heated meetings can happen.

I cannot fathom for the life of me the kind of environment where people would get fired for a single remark - IF this is the actual story. I wouldn't want to be in such a clinical environment. The U.S. baffles me with these kinds of examples.

Deleted member 31092

Banned
Nov 5, 2017
If they started firing people for having referred to genitalia here in Italy the entire nation would be unenployed in less than 24h considering how both female and male genitalia are pretty common words to use basically in all context lol.

Alimnassor

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but it's an internal meeting, right? I mean, since he used that phrase, I would expect that he at least felt that she was being unprofessional at the time. Is it really that bad to respond in kind?

And even if she wasn't, did it warrant him being fired? I really doubt that the same thing would have happened if he's been addressing a man.

Yes, he absolutely deserved it. Women don't want to hear about your dick. Why must men bring it up? Stop talking about your dicks. Do it and you deserve to be fired. It's contributing to our hostile culture against Women. Just. STOP.

Deleted member 34239

Banned
Nov 24, 2017
After reading both articles, only a warning should have been issued. The firing is not warranted imo and its seems like in the real world, most tend to agree. The phrase "dick measuring contest" is well known and frequently used. His comments allude to that phrase and are not sexual in nature. The firing is a farce by trigger happy employer. If he wins, he should sue for appropriate compensation and move to a different company. They're just going to cook up some bs and attempt to fire him later.

Kin5290

Oct 26, 2017
This sounds pretty ridiculous. The various applications of "dick measuring contest" are commonly known and not at all sexual in nature. That kind of language also isn't necessarily unheard of in a professional setting, especially a creative one (as a game development studio would be).

That said it might be that it was said over a conference call that was a problem. Who knows who else was attending it. If it were said in person in a conference room or something things might have turned out differently.