• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 5853

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thats fine and I might agree with termination, but you think it's ok for her to call this sexual harassment? This will do nothing but make it even harder for women to be where they belong imo.
How? It's the woman pushing back on her boss making a crude remark based on her looks. From my understanding and the newspaper's, the boss was implying the woman had a dick, meaning he thought she looked unfeminine or """mannish""". It is an obscene remark by an authority figure based on a woman's looks, and it should be called out as such. According to the Irish Human Rights and Equality commission:
Sexual harassment is any form of unwanted verbal, non-verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature.

In both cases it is defined as conduct which has the purpose or effect of violating a person's dignity and creating an intimidating, hostile, degrading, humiliating or offensive environment for the person and it is prohibited under the Acts.
It was a comment of a sexual nature that was humiliating.

And what's the alternative if she didn't push back? Your comment about "making it harder for women to fit in" alludes to this idea of "culture fit" that's excused a lot of terrible things over the years. If the corporate culture asks that women tolerate crude comments like the one this executive made, then it should be pushed back upon and be changed to properly accommodate women.

vodalus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
CT
It's pretty inappropriate. Not sure why so many here don't get that. You should treat people the right way, even if they're not your friends. This is a corporate setting.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
Lmao this is absurd, and yes I read the update. Unprofessional? Sure, but in the context of the situation it was clear what he meant. Warn him, fire is overkill lol. He does it again THEN fire him

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Thats fine and I might agree with termination, but you think it's ok for her to call this sexual harassment? This will do nothing but make it even harder for women to be where they belong imo.
Why would that make it harder for women to be were they belong? The company investigated the incident, the guy even said it happened and found grounds for termination. A company investigating complaints and taking them seriously is what's best for women. Your idea seems to be for women to not speak up when they are made uncomfortable in the workplace cus "people might think it's not serious enough". That's for the company to decide. And not speaking up is the opposite of good for women.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Here's the full situation from the article it's referencing. He shouldn't have said this to be honest, and it seems like if you use words that involve "pulling my dick out" then you're really not being smart in a work setting.

https://www./news/article-6510443/B...ference-call-sexual-harassment-complaint.html
Holy shit that's bad.
Glad the guy got fired.
Any better source than dailymail though?

someday

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with his firing. I don't care how much he makes or made. It's really gross and tiring to hear guys reference their dicks all the time, and even worse in professional settings. This term is fine if you're with your friends or whatever but don't bring it to work. The fact that statements like this are so common and so many in this thread see nothing wrong with it is a part of the problem. I do not want to hear you talk about your dick and I certainly don't want to hear it from a boss.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
The first statement in the OP wasn't appropriate, but the update just solidifies even more so that the boss should have been terminated. That's not proper workplace terminology, from what I understand. I'd be uncomfortable with it, gender notwithstanding.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah don't say that in a professional setting. Save it for when you're with your buddies. What a fool

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Shouldn't be saying it at work but fuuck if I feel bad; everyone knows exactly what he meant.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How? It's the woman pushing back on her boss making a crude remark based on her looks. From my understanding and the newspaper's, the boss was implying the woman had a dick, meaning he thought she looked unfeminine or """mannish""". It is an obscene remark by an authority figure based on a woman's looks, and it should be called out as such. According to the Irish Human Rights and Equality commission:

And what's the alternative if she didn't push back? Your comment about "making it harder for women to fit in" alludes to this idea of "culture fit" that's excused a lot of terrible things over the years. If the corporate culture asks that women tolerate crude comments like the one this executive made, then it should be pushed back upon and be changed to properly accommodate women.
We'll have to agree to disagree on whether it was "sexual harassment" so I guess what I say next we won't agree on either. I'd agree she was fine with reporting it, just not as that.

The reason I think it will only make it harder for other women is because in general more men are currently in charge. These men see stuff like this happening and will be even less likely to hire a woman because of shit like this. Call it unprofessional, fire him, whatever. But calling it sexual harassment is just wrong imo.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not in any way endorsing or apologizing for what he said, but i will say I've heard that exact phrase hundreds of times over my career. Doesn't make it right, just saying in my experience it's fairly common.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
That's a classic line from what? The 90s? The guy really is out of touch with today's reality.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
I laughed. I get the sense of what kind of guy he might've been and he's clearly not your typical figure to have at a business meeting lol. What a fool.

Ascenion

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mecklenburg-Strelitz
It's inappropriate, but he didn't deserve to be fired for it. Written up? Yes. The sexual harassment claim is what did him in. It wasn't directed towards anyone and it was inappropriate conduct and a violation of conference etiquette so technically if I was the HR liaison here I'd let it go with a stern warning, but we all vary. Plus we don't know what his history is. Point blank you shouldn't be referencing genitalia at work in any fashion.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
"Dick measuring" is a fairly common expression. I'd say he took it too far and it was unprofessional, to the point of him being repreimanded. But fired? Eh. I don't buy it being at all sexual related.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Hey now... there are guys with first name as Dick.
I mean, the name's usually actually Richard and Dick's usually the nickname - I've never understood why people volunterily refer to themselves as Dick, perhaps they are just very honest about themselves and use it as a warning? Like "Hi, I'm Dick" "Oh, so your first name's Richard?" "No, I'm just a humongous Dick."

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
I'm not sure that constitutes gross misconduct by itself, but I'm OK with people at the top being held to a high standard.

OP
OP

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We re busy taking notes and living in fear of being called on by the boss.....

Apparently you re all having your conference call at a bar or something....
Nope. In our conference rooms. The good thing here in europe is, in my case, I'm not "living in fear". It that would be the case, I would leave as soon as possible.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Ridiculous to be fired over it, it's rather obvious it didn't mean anything sexual in context. Just not very professional which would definitely deserve a reprimand.

Apr 16, 2018
Don't use vulgar language at work.

End of. If someone caught me using swears or vulgar language I'd get sacked, too.

Deleted member 5853

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We'll have to agree to disagree on whether it was "sexual harassment" so I guess what I say next we won't agree on either. I'd agree she was fine with reporting it, just not as that.

The reason I think it will only make it harder for other women is because in general more men are currently in charge. These men see stuff like this happening and will be even less likely to hire a woman because of shit like this. Call it unprofessional, fire him, whatever. But calling it sexual harassment is just wrong imo.
Why are you trying to police what she felt? To you, it might not have been, but try to think about it from her view. If she felt humiliated and degraded with sexual remark, it is sexual harassment. Just because it doesn't fit your view of sexual harassment does not mean it isn't sexual harassment.

And secondly, I think your viewpoint on this is backwards. Yes, men are in charge, but that doesn't mean women have to either put up or shut up. That's what the whole purpose of #MeToo has been: to show all these women that have put up with this kind of boorish behavior that there are legion of them and they don't have to take it anymore. And guess what, if companies don't want to hire women because of this, I'm sure the government or any number of women would love to bring a sexual discrimination lawsuit against any company that does so.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
"screw you/that" means "fuck you/that"

Google is telling me that "screw" has been slang for copulation since 1725.
You are taking this way too literally. I mean it's a phrase were you aren't literally (and I do mean literally) talking about putting your genitial on the table like what the dude actually said. There's no way of misconstruing what he said actually refers to. Screw it is much less vulgar but it wouldn't surprise me if your boss did take issue if you told them to "screw it", largely cus it's not very professional either.

Tygre

Oct 25, 2017
Chesire, UK
Of course people are defending this shit. Of course.

Guys, it's not hard, really it's not: Don't talk about your fucking genitalia at work. Just don't.

It's never appropriate to talk about your dick at work. Not about the size of your dick. Not about what you'd like to do with your dick. Not about pulling your dick out and putting it on the table. Your dick should never enter a workplace conversation, ever.

How is this hard to understand? If you talk about your dick at work you are being inappropriate. Full stop. Anybody and everybody would be totally in the right to report your dumb ass to HR.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Okay I hate to have to tell people this cus you'd think it be fairly obvious but judging by this thread...
DO NOT REFERENCE YOUR GENITIALS AT WORK. IT IS VERY VERY INAPPROPRIATE AND UNPROFESSIONAL. IT WILL NOT END WELL FOR YOU.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I mean, that's clearly not professional. I understand getting real at times, but that metaphor is incredibly crass for the workplace.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao this is absurd, and yes I read the update. Unprofessional? Sure, but in the context of the situation it was clear what he meant. Warn him, fire is overkill lol. He does it again THEN fire him
A lot of the big companies have strict zero tolerance policies. This sorta thing gets drilled into your head before you start during orientation. Hell, I had to complete an online test on code of conduct and professional behavior before I actually started working in my current company. Always assume that a company has a zero tolerance policy if you can't be bothered to read orientation material. This isn't rocket science. I have no sympathy for this guy and neither should anyone else. Everyone with half a brain knows this wasn't a sexual comment, it was the wording that was problematic.

Okay I hate to have to tell people this cus you'd think it be fairly obvious but judging by this thread...
DO NOT REFERENCE YOUR GENITIALS AT WORK. IT IS VERY VERY INAPPROPRIATE AND UNPROFESSIONAL. IT WILL NOT END WELL FOR YOU.
ThankYou.gif

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018

Your interpretation seems a huge stretch to me. He was using a fairly standard, if vulgar metaphor, I don't see any reason to read it as a comment on her looks.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Concern trolling, long history of similar infractions.
Why are you trying to police what she felt? To you, it might not have been, but try to think about it from her view. If she felt humiliated and degraded with sexual remark, it is sexual harassment. Just because it doesn't fit your view of sexual harassment does not mean it isn't sexual harassment.

And secondly, I think your viewpoint on this is backwards. Yes, men are in charge, but that doesn't mean women have to either put up or shut up. That's what the whole purpose of #MeToo has been: to show all these women that have put up with this kind of boorish behavior that there are legion of them and they don't have to take it anymore. And guess what, if companies don't want to hire women because of this, I'm sure the government or any number of women would love to bring a sexual discrimination lawsuit against any company that does so.
Yes you're correct, it may factually be sexual harassment according to law (or it may not be, I don't know either way). I can only give my opinion on it here. And yes obviously women should not put up with sexual harassment, ever. I just disagree that that's what this is.

Realistically the problem with your last statement about women not being hired...how do they prove that? It would be tough. It's already tough, and I don't think calling this particular case sexual harassment is going to do anyone any favors. That's not the way that it should be, but I do believe it's the way that it is.

Maybe I'm wrong, but to me if I were a woman and heard another woman accusing someone of sexual harassment over this, I would be pissed.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
I fail to see how that is sexual unless every reference to a dick is sexual. If I pull my dick out and piss on someone's grave, or any other expression, it doesn't mean I want to smash.

Should you say it at work? No.
Is it a sexual expression? Also no.

Ive hard far worse around banking execs, it was literally an old boys club. If there's more to it and he did say something sexual that's another story. Not saying he shouldn't be fired either.

Deleted member 12833

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Well, that's a interesting take. Like what? Lol

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
If you're "living in fear" at your job because you can't make crass references to your dick to coworkers without threat of punishment...maybe clean up your language at the office.

Rogote

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this isn't it. Not by a long shot. Something else going on in there absolutely. Either a big history of doing and or saying stupid stuff, or just doing his job poorly in addition to this. Something. But yeah no this is not it.