• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020

REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Today, Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA)announced a multiyear UEFA license extension, ensuring the pinnacle of club football remains exclusive to EA SPORTS. EA is expanding football video game access through multiple in-development mobile offerings, and by broadening the PC free-to-download FIFA Online 4title's reach to potentially 80 million players in more than 15 new countries. Additionally, the franchise will launch on Stadia for the first time when EA SPORTS FIFA 21is available March 17 for Stadia.

This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20210202005629/en/

This expansion builds on the continued growth and success of the EA SPORTS FIFA franchise. EA SPORTS FIFA 21was the best-selling game in the United Kingdom in 2020, it is continually one of the most popular games worldwide, and the EA SPORTS FIFA franchise has now sold more than 325 million units over its lifetime. Additionally, there are more players playing EA SPORTS FIFA 21 than the eventual record-breaking EA SPORTS FIFA 20at this point in their respective product cycles, illustrating fan interest continues to grow.

"Our vision is to create the most authentic, social and connected football experience by bringing our games to more devices, more countries and more fans around the world," said DJ Jackson, VP, EA SPORTS Brand. "EA SPORTS continues to rapidly transform how fans consume sport, evolving football from a passive and scheduled experience to an interactive one, accessible at any time. This is the world's game, and EA SPORTS is doing everything we can to further connect players, athletes, clubs and leagues and grow the love of football, globally."

UEFA and EA SPORTS are two of the biggest names in global football, synonymous with innovation, competition, and a commitment to advancing the world's game. To date, over 150 million minutes of UEFA Champions League football have been played in EA SPORTS FIFA games on console and PC. The new license extension gives the EA SPORTS FIFAecosystem exclusive rights to UEFA Champions League, as well as the UEFA Europa League and UEFA Super Cup. The partnership is also poised to help grow the eChampions League, an integral and important tournament within the EA SPORTS FIFAGlobal Series competitive gaming program.

To continue growing EA SPORTS FIFA fandom, providing players with more ways to play is paramount. The free-to-download FIFA Online 4 experience on PC, widely played in Asia, will be available for the first time in Russia, Poland, Turkey, and more, bringing the game to potentially tens of millions of passionate football fans. EA SPORTS FIFA 21 launches for Stadia on March 17 and will let players instantly play their favorite video games on screens they already own.

Mobile remains the most popular gaming platform in the world and EA SPORTS has six football experiences in the works ranging from authentic simulation to unique arcade formats offering new ways to play for everyone. More details on these diverse mobile football experiences will be announced at a later date.

EA SPORTS reaches players all around the globe, and in the past year introduced six new console and PC experiences, as well as ongoing live service offerings on PC and mobile. EA SPORTS franchises delivered sports entertainment to fans all around the world with an array of authentic, deep experiences that brought players closer to the sports, teams, and leagues that they love.

ir.ea.com

The World’s Game -- Electronic Arts Announces Multiplatform EA SPORTS FIFA Global Expansion

Multi-Year UEFA Club Competition License Extension Solidifies EA SPORTS™ FIFA as the Most Authentic Interactive Football Experience Electronic Arts to Grow Its Global Football Player Base with Six In-Development Mobile Experiences and FIFA Online 4 Market Expansion Today, Electronic Arts Inc...

Tagg

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
6 mobile games, that's what we want alright.

mtel

Oct 29, 2017
6 mobile games?! Normal FIFA, some management sim, a card game? That's still only 3. What are the mad men thinking haha

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
how are people liking 21?

I was burned by 20's really poor support on career mode, so I decided not to buy it for the first time in years. Im good with waiting until its on EA Play (since Im a GPU sub)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Switch:

cover3.jpg

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

I was burned by 20's really poor support on career mode, so I decided not to buy it for the first time in years. Im good with waiting until its on EA Play (since Im a GPU sub)

If there was ever a time of a new FIFA being just a full price roster update it with FIFA 21. That's what the reception has been. FIFA needs some serious shake up again. It has been way too stagnant for too long.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017

It's awful IMO

Honestly, the only good thing this year's game has is the hair in the next gen versions.

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Six mobile games with FIFA content? WOW....normal mobile version, card game, idle-clicker, what else works on mobile? FUT version? FIFA Online? well I'm sure they'll find enough ;)

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I just woke up and for some reason my brain read the title as 'Star Wars FIFA Project'. I can't explain how I got there but it sounds pretty cool.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
If there was ever a time of a new FIFA being just a full price roster update it with FIFA 21. That's what the reception has been. FIFA needs some serious shake up again. It has been way too stagnant for too long.
It's awful IMO

Honestly, the only good thing this year's game has is the hair in the next gen versions.
I'm very lenient with FIFA releases, but 21 is absolutely shit.

damn, lol

I guess I did good with not buying it this year then. Thanks for the replies folks

Oct 27, 2017
EA would rather release games on Stadia than the Switch. Someone high up must still be mad at that unprecedented deal falling through

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, considering how much EA makes on HUT/FUT/etc, I am kind of baffled that these games aren't free to play at this point and just update one product while constantly selling HUT packs. Do the big yearly update around the same time.

Bobson Dugnutt

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would be a pay pig for a non afterthought portable/hybrid console football game. Mobile do not scratch the same itch.

there's not been one for almost a decade now.

over to you Konami...

lol yeah right

E.Balboa

Oct 30, 2017
Florianópolis, Brazil
Fifa 21 is beyond terrible. Irredeemable piece of crap.
I'm not sure how Fifa got to this point but I've been playing it competitively for the last 20 years (yeah no kidding, our league started in 2001) and this last game is just depressing.

Hopefully an engine change can bring it back to an acceptable state.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Only six mobile titles? Come on guys, you're slacking

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised they have enough for 6 different games. I get having a simulation one and arcadey one and maybe a career mode focused one or something but I don't how you support 6 whole FIFA games at once.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Hadn't played FIFA in years but tried the next-gen version. It's appalling; the defending and general defensive AI is so bad that the game just becomes a series of ping pong attack v defence through balls that almost always favour the attacker.

It is a substantially inferior football game when compared with Pro Evo.

OP
OP

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Honestly, considering how much EA makes on HUT/FUT/etc, I am kind of baffled that these games aren't free to play at this point and just update one product while constantly selling HUT packs. Do the big yearly update around the same time.

Why make it F2P when they sell 15 million and more copies every year?

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Why make it F2P when they sell 15 million and more copies every year?

Less costs when it comes to making new media, less costs to overall development since every game would be on the same page and it would bring more people in to play and spend on Ultimate Team. While UT can fuck right off into the sun, it's their main cash cow for now.

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
6 mobile versions, a Stadia version and no Switch love? That sounds about EA.

First time I stopped playing a FIFA game in the same year it launched. It's FIFA 20 with some small fine tuning and a roster update and I just don't have the motivation to play anymore.