• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Why is Ford'S E-SUV called like their muscle cars? (Mustang)

it has the same giant Tablet in the middle.. :/

Electric cars getting rid of classic round speedometers sucks imo.
and I even would want a rev counter with the RPM of the electric engine.

But it does have the display behind the wheel, and the material just looks better in the StraightPipes video that I've just skimmed through.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Since I can't stand Tesla interiors I'm glad I really love the looks of the mach-e and its interior. I haven't watched the impressions yet, but despite the Mustang branding I'm going to assume it won't drive or feel as powerful as a Tesla, but that's immaterial to me if I can't stand my surroundings when sitting in the car.

No it's not as fast and has less range than a Tesla, but it's still one of the more competitive EV's to Tesla out there specs wise. As long as the actual Mach-E matches what Ford claims at least.

There are a lot of people who will buy the Mach-E over the Tesla's over the interior styling alone.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Why is Ford'S E-SUV called like their muscle cars? (Mustang)

They wanted to utilize the Mustang branding for marketing purposes.

It might have hard. It would have been hard for them to get press otherwise if they had positioned it as an electric family crossover. The automobile press is VERY male and VERY white.

offtopic

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Doug Demuro has a really great review of the Mach-E:

I have to say I'm impressed, seems like Ford did a great job here. I'd still choose a Model Y over it but Ford has some innovative features which I'd like to see Tesla adopt.

I agree...it looks like they put some thought into it beyond just being a "hey-we-have-an-ev-too!". I'm still getting the Y but the more the merrier.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
My only issue is it seems like all the online reviewers are reviewing the AWD version of the Mach-E. I'm likely interested in a Premium trim (which is the trim they reviewed) but in the RWD configuration which will extend the range, but also, I presume, drive differently, so I was hoping to get some driving impressions of the RWD version.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My only issue is it seems like all the online reviewers are reviewing the AWD version of the Mach-E. I'm likely interested in a Premium trim (which is the trim they reviewed) but in the RWD configuration which will extend the range, but also, I presume, drive differently, so I was hoping to get some driving impressions of the RWD version.
With that amount of torque I feel obliged to get the AWD variant!

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
With that amount of torque I feel obliged to get the AWD variant!

I'm not really "into" cars, so I don't really know how torque relates to how a car drives in a RWD vs an AWD variation. Can you give me a sense of what would be different in how one drives vs the other. Really, the only reason I'd go RWD is just because I don't really need a ton of snow or rain performance in my area and am certainly not offroading with the thing anyway. However, I'm not averse to AWD, it's mainly a cost thing.

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't bother with AWD if you don't need all weather/winter traction and assuming the cost is higher. In normal driving you'll barely know the difference. AWD has better grip in bad weather and better traction off the line (so likely slightly faster 0-60 times).

Ford UK configuration tool is a nightmare as are many EVs - multiple layers of motor/battery/option packages and the recent trend of forced bundles which often pushes costs up

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really "into" cars, so I don't really know how torque relates to how a car drives in a RWD vs an AWD variation. Can you give me a sense of what would be different in how one drives vs the other. Really, the only reason I'd go RWD is just because I don't really need a ton of snow or rain performance in my area and am certainly not offroading with the thing anyway. However, I'm not averse to AWD, it's mainly a cost thing.
Torque is the turning force, effectively. If you imagine an electric toy car - if you can stop the wheels by holding them with your fingers it has less torque than one that you can't stop. Electric cars generally have better torque compared to the equivalent power output of a combustion-powered car.

So the limiting factor in terms of accelerating becomes the grip in the tyres, rather than the torque of the motor. AWD has more grip so it'll make the best use of the torque.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

In normal driving you wont notice any difference unless you're driving in slippery conditions.

www.reuters.com

Hyundai to end domestic sales of Kona EVs after recalls - reports

South Korea's Hyundai Motor Co will end domestic sales of its best-selling electric vehicle (EV), the Kona EV, after a series of fires and faulty braking systems prompted mass recalls, local media reported on Friday.

Not just Tesla with reliability problems.

Kinda not surprised tbh. Despite Kia/Hyundai's getting a lot better over the past decade, I still don't think they're the best in quality, and certainly wouldn't buy one. I mean just this year they had to announce recalls for both engine failures and fire hazard.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Tesla launching the standard range model Y for $42k - $4k more than a model 3. Not bad. Hopefully available in the uk by end of this year/Q1 2022 when I'm due a change. Always been a sedan/coupe person but my old bones might like a taller car finally.. and my current car is the first I've ever had with a powered tailgate and I'm totally in love

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW
Tesla launching the standard range model Y for $42k - $4k more than a model 3. Not bad. Hopefully available in the uk by end of this year/Q1 2022 when I'm due a change. Always been a sedan/coupe person but my old bones might like a taller car finally.. and my current car is the first I've ever had with a powered tailgate and I'm totally in love
Oh damn. I thought they canceled that model???

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, this is earlier than expected!!!!

www.teslarati.com

Tesla to produce $25K car as early as 2022 in Gigafactory Shanghai: report

An eco-assessment report for Gigafactory Shanghai recently provided a teaser about a third Tesla that will be produced at the China-based electric car factory. The documents hint that Tesla is looking to produce a new car at Giga Shanghai as early as 2022, and it will be priced between...

The documents hint that Tesla is looking to produce a new car at Giga Shanghai as early as 2022, and it will be priced between RMB160,000 to RMB 200,000 (about $25,000 to $30,000).

j_rocca42

Oct 25, 2017
PNW

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Ah, this is earlier than expected!!!!

www.teslarati.com

Tesla to produce $25K car as early as 2022 in Gigafactory Shanghai: report

An eco-assessment report for Gigafactory Shanghai recently provided a teaser about a third Tesla that will be produced at the China-based electric car factory. The documents hint that Tesla is looking to produce a new car at Giga Shanghai as early as 2022, and it will be priced between...

Hopefully that will come to the UK too. Feels a perfect price point for one over here as well.

resultant

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
Parts Unknown
Feels like an appropriate place to ask this. My second car died on me, and while I don't have a pressing need to replace it since I now work from home, I do want to replace it soon. I have been looking at getting a 2015-ish Nissan Leaf, but I live in an apartment and definitely will not be able to charge at home. I would probably use it about 100 miles a week once my Uni opens back up, so I guess I would need to charge it to full basically once a week. What does this look like if home charging isn't an option?

Could I drive it to like a gas station with electric chargers (do the Tesla ones work with all electric car brands?) and then leave it there for the hours it takes to charge? Since I have a second car this would be doable for me, but obviously if leaving my car isn't allowed at electric charging stations that is different.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Feels like an appropriate place to ask this. My second car died on me, and while I don't have a pressing need to replace it since I now work from home, I do want to replace it soon. I have been looking at getting a 2015-ish Nissan Leaf, but I live in an apartment and definitely will not be able to charge at home. I would probably use it about 100 miles a week once my Uni opens back up, so I guess I would need to charge it to full basically once a week. What does this look like if home charging isn't an option?

Could I drive it to like a gas station with electric chargers (do the Tesla ones work with all electric car brands?) and then leave it there for the hours it takes to charge? Since I have a second car this would be doable for me, but obviously if leaving my car isn't allowed at electric charging stations that is different.
A Tesla brand super charger only works with Tesla. Tesla also has adapters for other stations.

It all depends on what kind of station you use. A Tesla Super Charger station can charge a Tesla fully within an hour. Others might only do 30 miles per hour or so.

Most gas stations don't have super chargers. They tend to be found other places (strip malls, retail, rest stops, etc.).

This website will give you an idea of what kind of chargers are in your area.

www.plugshare.com

PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge

Find EV charging stations with PlugShare, the most complete map of electric vehicle charging stations in the world!Charging tips reviews and photos from the EV community.

resultant

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
Parts Unknown
A Tesla brand super charger only works with Tesla. Tesla also has adapters for other stations.

It all depends on what kind of station you use. A Tesla Super Charger station can charge a Tesla fully within an hour. Others might only do 30 miles per hour or so.

Most gas stations don't have super chargers. They tend to be found other places (strip malls, retail, rest stops, etc.).

This website will give you an idea of what kind of chargers are in your area.

www.plugshare.com

PlugShare - EV Charging Station Map - Find a place to charge

Find EV charging stations with PlugShare, the most complete map of electric vehicle charging stations in the world!Charging tips reviews and photos from the EV community.
Thanks for the info.

Regardless of the speed though, would I be able to leave my car at a charging station for multiple hours at a time? Is that common? I imagine the vast majority of people who own EVs also own homes or live at apartments that have parking garages with EV chargers, but I would hope that wouldn't be a barrier to entry.

Deleted member 70788

Jun 2, 2020
Thanks for the info.

Regardless of the speed though, would I be able to leave my car at a charging station for multiple hours at a time? Is that common? I imagine the vast majority of people who own EVs also own homes or live at apartments that have parking garages with EV chargers, but I would hope that wouldn't be a barrier to entry.

It's very common. Most cars have apps that will give you live feedback on the time left. But most people will park, charge, and go shopping, eat, etc. then come back.

If it's a busy one, people will get mad if you leave it there for too long and it's clearly done charging. Many chargers start charging you a premium if you leave it plugged in past the charging time to max + a window of time.

resultant

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
Parts Unknown
It's very common. Most cars have apps that will give you live feedback on the time left. But most people will park, charge, and go shopping, eat, etc. then come back.

If it's a busy one, people will get mad if you leave it there for too long and it's clearly done charging. Many chargers start charging you a premium if you leave it plugged in past the charging time to max + a window of time.
Oh word? That's cool! Anyone have experience with the Nissan Leaf circa 2014-2016? There a many chargers in my area so I am seriously considering getting one near me off Carvanna.

Ronnie Poncho

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Short term, it's generally considered rude to leave your car sat on a charger when it's full. This depends on where you are and how many chargers there are, obviously. Tesla will charge you a fee per minute for staying plugged into the charger after your car is fully charged, for example. But if your car is actually charging, then no one would mind.

Medium term, you'll see dedicated charging places, such as the new Grid Serve in the UK:

So you can go there, either while on a longer journey or to fill up your car and get a coffee or whatever.

Longer term, chargers will be ubiquitous and in every parking space. Visit a museum? Charge in the car park. Going shopping? Charge while you fill up your trolley. So you won't do long-term charging but lots of small amounts, and will more than cover your journeys to-and-from a location.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Is apartment life a long term thing? If not, it would make sense to hold off since you already have a car, and then save up for something nicer when you have your own place. Or just put the money into fixing your other car, unless by died you mean it got in a wreck.

Nissan Leafs are ok. They're not great, but not terrible. If you live in a hot climate, the battery has most likely lost range because they're not liquid cooled. If you just want a car you don't have to worry about, it doesn't make sense buying a used electric car because they get better every year.

Last edited:

resultant

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
Parts Unknown
Is apartment life a long term thing? If not, it would make sense to hold off since you already have a car, and then save up for something nicer when you have your own place.
Apartment life for probably the next year and a half. Once I finally finish my undergrad I plan on getting a Tesla or VW EV but I definitely need a second car until then. My wife doesn't have the luxury of working from home so when I do have to go to class again she will need a car and so will I. I do, however, have until late this year to decide on one.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
I've been looking at a Model Y, but I've been thinking about the cost. This is off topic, but I used an auto loan calculator to calculate the monthly payment for a $50,000 car loan and it's almost $1k.

Is that right? I know it's an expensive car, but Tesla aside I see a lot of people in my area (rural, not really financially affluent really) with big ole pickup trucks and stuff which I know can also be like 40 or 50k.

Is having a $1k car payment that common?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Apartment life for probably the next year and a half. Once I finally finish my undergrad I plan on getting a Tesla or VW EV but I definitely need a second car until then. My wife doesn't have the luxury of working from home so when I do have to go to class again she will need a car and so will I. I do, however, have until late this year to decide on one.

well that changes things. I thought you just had a second car for fun, while living by yourself.

If you plan to get something else when you finish school, you really should weigh the cost of fixing your current car vs getting a new one. I guarantee fixing your current one will be cheaper, giving you more money to buy the car you actually want in a year or two.

resultant

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
Parts Unknown
well that changes things. I thought you just had a second car for fun, while living by yourself.

If you plan to get something else when you finish school, you really should weigh the cost of fixing your current car vs getting a new one. I guarantee fixing your current one will be cheaper, giving you more money to buy the car you actually want in a year or two.
Unfortunately the current car costs less to buy another one than it does to fix now (older M-B). I am basically going to have to pay for a "new" car even if I just fix my current one, and I don't love my Benz much anyway so I figured it's better to just get something new (and environmentally friendly).

Granted, it would be far cheaper to just get a Civic or something for 6k and call it a day, but I sort of feel morally obligated to buy an EV since I can finally afford it.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Unfortunately the current car costs less to buy another one than it does to fix now (older M-B). I am basically going to have to pay for a "new" car even if I just fix my current one, and I don't love my Benz much anyway so I figured it's better to just get something new (and environmentally friendly).

Granted, it would be far cheaper to just get a Civic or something for 6k and call it a day, but I sort of feel morally obligated to buy an EV since I can finally afford it.

Ah. Yeah, Mercedes are expensive to fix, and personally wouldn't own one made past the 90's anyway.

But, would spending twice as much on a car hold back your plans to buy a house where you can actually charge an electric car? If you have a bunch of disposable income and no debt I guess its fine, but being a student living in an apartment would lead me to believe that's not the case.

I would just buy a cheaper car now and a good electric car later.

Though tbf I don't know how much you'd be spending on a Leaf.

resultant

Banned
Nov 3, 2020
Parts Unknown
Ah. Yeah, Mercedes are expensive to fix, and personally wouldn't own one made past the 90's anyway.

But, would spending twice as much on a car hold back your plans to buy a house where you can actually charge an electric car? If you have a bunch of disposable income and no debt I guess its fine, but being a student living in an apartment would lead me to believe that's not the case.

I would just buy a cheaper car now and a good electric car later.

Though tbf I don't know how much you'd be spending on a Leaf.
Yeah the Benz was...a choice lmao.

I am a "return to learn" student, lets say. I have a career (in the field I am studying), as does my wife. Living in an apartment is by choice since we want to travel before we buy a house (and saving money while I can only work 25 hours a week while taking classes doesn't hurt), but I agree with you that there are more cost effective options.

There are multiple 2015 Leafs near me for about 11k, which seems reasonable. I was originally looking at a Corrola or Civic for half that though. Tough choice. I can definitely afford a Leaf, I just don't know if I should...

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah the Benz was...a choice lmao.

I am a "return to learn" student, lets say. I have a career (in the field I am studying), as does my wife. Living in an apartment is by choice since we want to travel before we buy a house (and saving money while I can only work 25 hours a week while taking classes doesn't hurt), but I agree with you that there are more cost effective options.

There are multiple 2015 Leafs near me for about 11k, which seems reasonable. I was originally looking at a Corrola or Civic for half that though. Tough choice. I can definitely afford a Leaf, I just don't know if I should...

Personally I just don't think a Leaf is a good long term purchase because of their lack of battery cooling. But if its a short term thing then you probably won't really notice or care. If you're not even going to be driving much, just get an older Leaf and save a few grand. Looking on my local craigslist the 2012 - 2014 models are in the $6k - $10k range.

Mengy

Oct 25, 2017
So the VW Buzz has been delayed. Again. Won't see it for sale until 2023 at the earliest.

www.caranddriver.com

VW ID.Buzz Microbus U.S. Launch Delayed to 2023

It's buzz kill for Volkswagen Microbus fans as the eagerly awaited electric van won't arrive in 2022 as expected.

It was 2017 when they first revealed the Buzz, that will be five years from reveal to market. I really thought VW would be moving faster than this.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
So the VW Buzz has been delayed. Again. Won't see it for sale until 2023 at the earliest.

www.caranddriver.com

VW ID.Buzz Microbus U.S. Launch Delayed to 2023

It's buzz kill for Volkswagen Microbus fans as the eagerly awaited electric van won't arrive in 2022 as expected.

It was 2017 when they first revealed the Buzz, that will be five years from reveal to market. I really thought VW would be moving faster than this.

I will believe they are actually releasing the ID Buzz when I see it for sale at dealerships.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017

Sorta in a similar situation - my Toyota has 120k miles so I know I'll have to replace it in the near future and I want to go electric, but nothing over 20k, will probably get a Bolt or Leaf that is a few years old. Unfortunately I live in a townhouse and the parking is far enough away from the house that I can't charge from my home.
I might be able to get a charging station put in at my spot but I'd have to go through the HOA and there's no garuntee they'd approve it. Luckily there's a movie theater like a 10 minute walk away with a few free chargers, and more at a grocery store that are just a few minutes further so I'll probably have to rely on those.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I have a second kid on the way and our sedans are not going to cut it. Is there any crossover suv type EV you all would recommend?

I've never owned anything other than a sedan or coupe and my kids are now 16 and 19 (fucking hell...)

But CUVs are taking over the world, so..

In that market basically everything is a CUV except the model 3. Model 7, Mach E to some extent is taller than it might look at first glance, ID4, EQC, Etron, iPace