• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

They're using a battery pack with lower voltage. Most EVs(except the Taycan) have a 360V pack, even the previous year Ioniq.

Not sure why they'd do that but I just remember Power = V x I from school lol.

QbQRuoA.png

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
Hey guys. Was thinking of purchasing my first car on carvana. I was looking at electric hybrids and saw a pretty promising Fiat 500e for 10k. I've only seen a couple mentions in this thread. I'm just looking for a good gas-saving commute car. I'm 6'4" so I want something with good leg room (bonus if it can fit someone really "big" like my Uncle). I'm in real uncharted territory here so any advice would be appreciated even if there are other brands that would be good if I can find it around 10k.

Thanks in advance.

beins

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys. Was thinking of purchasing my first car on carvana. I was looking at electric hybrids and saw a pretty promising Fiat 500e for 10k. I've only seen a couple mentions in this thread. I'm just looking for a good gas-saving commute car. I'm 6'4" so I want something with good leg room (bonus if it can fit someone really "big" like my Uncle). I'm in real uncharted territory here so any advice would be appreciated even if there are other brands that would be good if I can find it around 10k.

Thanks in advance.
The 500e is very small, I wouldnt advise it if you need to carry big or tall people. It won't have any leg room. You need to look for a bigger car I'd say.

thaivo

Nov 2, 2017
Crunched some numbers yesterday and it looks like I'm going to pull the trigger on a Model 3 early next year.

Few questions for those with experience:

• What's the best place to get an auto loan for a Tesla in your experience. I've generally paid outright, but will be taking out a partial loan on this one. Maximum I want is 48 months.

• Regarding the mid range + model, anything I'm really missing besides the range? I see a better sound system and some other small things, but how drastic is it? I wish I could pick a few options over just bundling it all in a $10,000 package.

• Any thoughts on promotions or changes that might happen in early 2020? I realize I won't get the tax credit, but didn't know if we thought they'd make changes in response to anything.

The big thing is range, as I really didn't care for heated back seats or fog lights and added speakers... the other big thing would be internet, which allows for streaming video... it works right now with standard range +, but I hear it might go away at any time. I actually wished they had the long range rwd still available.

For me range is huge, as small battery degradation will be much less an issue.. but I say that as a SR+ owner...

They are sure to have promotions in 2020, as sales have slowed a little, and with the Model Y coming up. But it might not be really significant. I mean the 2 years of super charging is worthlike $500? Most people charge at home because supercharger are only really convenient for trips.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The big thing is range, as I really didn't care for heated back seats or fog lights and added speakers... the other big thing would be internet, which allows for streaming video... it works right now with standard range +, but I hear it might go away at any time. I actually wished they had the long range rwd still available.

For me range is huge, as small battery degradation will be much less an issue.. but I say that as a SR+ owner...

They are sure to have promotions in 2020, as sales have slowed a little, and with the Model Y coming up. But it might not be really significant. I mean the 2 years of super charging is worthlike $500? Most people charge at home because supercharger are only really convenient for trips.

Thank you. I guess the range isn't a huge deal overall for me. I do mostly 30 miles or less a day and we have another car if needed for longer trips. I guess my thought would be that our next car to replace our ICE would be a longer range electric in 5 years or so.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

Thanks in advance.

The fiat 500 is actually really roomy for tall people, as long as you don't plan on using the rear seats. You can test drive a normal model to make sure, but I've driven one and despite the small size, they're tall people friendly. One of my friends who is very tall was shopping for a small car, and the fiat 500 is one of the only ones he fit in.

The 500e is very small, I wouldnt advise it if you need to carry big or tall people. It won't have any leg room. You need to look for a bigger car I'd say.

Not really. Its a small car, but the front actually has a lot of room. The roof is high and the seats move back enough for tall people. Now putting tall people in the back is another story, but if its the front, it should be fine.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the Mini Cooper SE has a price and release date: $29,900 / March 2020. The range is not terribly impressive, but I'm warming up to it. My daily commute is only 20mi round trip and we'll still have an ICE second car option for longer trips. I recently heard a compelling argument in favor of using smaller batteries that fit your typical uses - large batteries require more more mining for their components and if you're never using the full range (US drivers are only 30mi/day average) it turns into excessive waste. Satisfying "range anxiety" by getting a large battery that's just going to sit in my garage is not making much sense.

Wish VW and Honda would get their electric options here sooner. Coming from an old GTI, the Mini is looking like my best option for next year.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
The fiat 500 is actually really roomy for tall people, as long as you don't plan on using the rear seats. You can test drive a normal model to make sure, but I've driven one and despite the small size, they're tall people friendly. One of my friends who is very tall was shopping for a small car, and the fiat 500 is one of the only ones he fit in.

Not really. Its a small car, but the front actually has a lot of room. The roof is high and the seats move back enough for tall people. Now putting tall people in the back is another story, but if its the front, it should be fine.
Oh cool to know! I'll try and go to my nearest Fiat dealer and see if I can at least get into one and see how I fit.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the Mini Cooper SE has a price and release date: $29,900 / March 2020. The range is not terribly impressive, but I'm warming up to it. My daily commute is only 20mi round trip and we'll still have an ICE second car option for longer trips. I recently heard a compelling argument in favor of using smaller batteries that fit your typical uses - large batteries require more more mining for their components and if you're never using the full range (US drivers are only 30mi/day average) it turns into excessive waste. Satisfying "range anxiety" by getting a large battery that's just going to sit in my garage is not making much sense.

Wish VW and Honda would get their electric options here sooner. Coming from an old GTI, the Mini is looking like my best option for next year.

what's the range - couldn't see it anywhere in that article

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Getting a Nema 14-50 installed next week in anticipation for an EV next year. Our off peak program for this offers charging from 9pm - 9am for 4 cents per kWh, which seems great. I thought about getting the higher Tesla charger, but I'm not 100% getting a Tesla just yet and it seemed like enough for most of my driving to just charge at 14-50 rates.

Oct 25, 2017
I've always had a love for Mustangs, I hope their EV is good. I'd love for it to be in the running for next car down the road.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Really great hands on impression video with the Taycan in the US, first I've seen myself, worth a watch. Main conclusion is Porsche community and fans are going to absolutely love the car, its 100% Porsche and a phenomenal drive. While it's obviously for a small enthusiasts market(not a huge market for $200k lol), it's going to have a great halo and ripple effect for electric vehicle adoption and acceptance in general. Good stuff

Hesemonni

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a concept, but still:

4MBz8jL.png

A bit strange choice to unveil a wagon in LA autoshow, but nevertheless: Europe is going to go nuts when VW releases their first fully electric wagon.

Oct 28, 2017
Well, I took the plunge and bought myself a 2019 Bolt LT. Wanted to get the Model 3, was about to pull the trigger, until I priced out insurance quotes and saw it would be over $330 a month just to insure it, thanks Michigan!

Really happy with my Bolt so far, though. Although the range on the remote start seems extremely short, I practically have to be within eyesight of the car for the signal to go through, which sucks when I try to precondition the battery at the end of my workday. Anyone know if there's some way to increase that range, aftermarket or otherwise?

(PS. I think I might kind of love the look of that big stupid Cybertruck?)

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Well, I took the plunge and bought myself a 2019 Bolt LT. Wanted to get the Model 3, was about to pull the trigger, until I priced out insurance quotes and saw it would be over $330 a month just to insure it, thanks Michigan!
the fuck?
Really happy with my Bolt so far, though. Although the range on the remote start seems extremely short, I practically have to be within eyesight of the car for the signal to go through, which sucks when I try to precondition the battery at the end of my workday. Anyone know if there's some way to increase that range, aftermarket or otherwise?

welcome to the EV family.

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017

Excellent choice.

Pro tip: Put it in Low and Sport mode and leave it there. One pedal driving is fun as hell. My Bolt's approaching 80k miles...

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Excellent choice.

Pro tip: Put it in Low and Sport mode and leave it there. One pedal driving is fun as hell. My Bolt's approaching 80k miles...
New Bolt EV owner here- I love using 'L' mode but I've never combined it with Sport. Can you describe why you recommend doing so? Does it hurt your kWh usage much?

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
New Bolt EV owner here- I love using 'L' mode but I've never combined it with Sport. Can you describe why you recommend doing so? Does it hurt your kWh usage much?

Well Sport makes the car accelerate markedly quicker and more fun to drive (seriously, it's at least as fast as my old GTI, probably faster because no shifts). Couple that with the aggressive regenerative braking of Low mode, and you get this highly responsive, fun & nimble car that you can drive with one foot (for the most part).

I haven't noticed it hurting my range really at all. I drive 100-130 miles a day during the week, sometimes more on weekends. Charging every night at home (and for a few hours at work during the week) I never have had any concerns about range.

ieandrew

Self-requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well Sport makes the car accelerate markedly quicker and more fun to drive (seriously, it's at least as fast as my old GTI, probably faster because no shifts). Couple that with the aggressive regenerative braking of Low mode, and you get this highly responsive, fun & nimble car that you can drive with one foot (for the most part).

I haven't noticed it hurting my range really at all. I drive 100-130 miles a day during the week, sometimes more on weekends. Charging every night at home (and for a few hours at work during the week) I never have had any concerns about range.
Thanks! I'm going to give it a shot. I'm also looking at what Level 2 charger I should install in my home. I'm assuming you have at least that level for that amount of range per day. Do you know if there's anything significant that differentiates those in the $2-300 range vs the $5-600?

asdad123

Oct 25, 2017
I'm interested in getting an EV for my weekend car. I have a work truck that I use during the week, but I want something different to drive around.

I'm thinking either a used 2014-2015 model S 75 or 85 or a new model 3 long range. I wouldn't be buying until next mid next year. Leaning more towards the model S, hopefully one with lifetime supercharging. Anyone that has driven or owned both care to offer any advice?

Darren Lamb

Dec 1, 2017
Signed a Bolt lease today! Black 2019 LT with dcfc and the comfort/driver confidence 1 packages

I think I got a decent deal on it, 330/month after tax for 39 months, 12k miles/year. This is in MA where there are no state incentives currently. Nothing down besides the first payment and DMV fees

MaritalWheat

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, just shop around. The first places I looked, including my current insurer, had astounding rates. But I ended up finding the same rate as my other car (just a Fiat 500x). Some places just seem to have out of whack premiums for Model 3s.

Ryu_Ken

Oct 30, 2017
After 18 months with my leaf 24 I decided it was upgrade time. Test drove the 40 and loved it, almost everything about it is better. So after a bit of haggling with the dealer I got a great deal and pick my new 2019 Tekna on Saturday :)

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
8e05c080-5922-4d88-a654-357baab93382-jpeg.487066

Yikes. 201 miles vs 348 with same battery size. Taycan must be mining bit coin or something while driving lol

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
FWIW I drive a smart fortwo and my lease is up early 2021, so I have to start seriously looking at what to get next come the summer. I was planning on leasing another, but that obviously isn't on the cards.