• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Can't wait for the 100% autonomous automotive future!

Surely Tesla has got to have some sort of liability here. Not sure why this feature is still live...

Couple corner cases where it's not working properly is not a big deal I don't think... You have to hold your hand on the summon button if it's not working properly or looks fishy you just let go and the car immediately stops.... Dunno wtf the person in that video was thinking especially since she was close by lol

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit

Couple corner cases where it's not working properly is not a big deal I don't think... You have to hold your hand on the summon button if it's not working properly or looks fishy you just let go and the car immediately stops.... Dunno wtf the person in that video was thinking especially since she was close by lol
dem clicks!

Deleted member 12028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Looks like I'm getting an 2019 e-golf on lease. They apply a 7500 rebate and since I am doing 30 months I can get 2500 back from California.

I'd prefer to get something with longer range, but I also don't want to break the bank. Looking at something like 250 a month, and I figure this can buy me time until the model y is out or something comparable.

thaivo

Nov 2, 2017
So my wife's Volkswagen Tiguan kicked the bucket and we looked around and ended with a Model 3 SR+. It's been amazing thus far, and is a joy to drive on short and long trips.

This may change in the future, but the supercharger network is such an advantage to Tesla... a friend has a Chevy Bolt, but he wouldn't even conceive of driving more than 250 miles from his home, whereas with a Tesla range isn't a problem, it's rather liberating actually. If we didn't have three kids, we would likely go on road trips all the time!

We looked at other EV's, but the additional money was worth both the practical and aesthetic advantages of the Model 3. I might actually get a used Nissan Leaf someday as a local commuter, as I've seen them for less than $6k. Then we'll be a EV exclusive family.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
I just turned over 100k miles on my Volt and would love a Model 3. Hoping to make that happen when we're ready to move on from the Volt.

thaivo

Nov 2, 2017
I just turned over 100k miles on my Volt and would love a Model 3. Hoping to make that happen when we're ready to move on from the Volt.
That's a lot of miles, did you take it on road trips? What was the charging experience like for the Volt?

I have a large SUV as my car right now, and what I've been thinking is to get a used Nissan Leaf in a few years, or even a used Model 3 when they become more affordable in used form. Right now, most used Model 3s are pretty close to the price of new ones when you factor in the the credit... well, while it lasts. Looked at used Model S cars, but they are pretty pricey for high mileage vehicles.

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
That's a lot of miles, did you take it on road trips? What was the charging experience like for the Volt?

I have a large SUV as my car right now, and what I've been thinking is to get a used Nissan Leaf in a few years, or even a used Model 3 when they become more affordable in used form. Right now, most used Model 3s are pretty close to the price of new ones when you factor in the the credit... well, while it lasts. Looked at used Model S cars, but they are pretty pricey for high mileage vehicles.
No, we never took it on anything too long, it's always been our local driver. While it has the gas engine, I don't enjoy driving with it. Charging it has been fine; I had a charger installed in our garage when I bought it thanks to the government subsidy at the time that paid for it, so that takes care of most of my needs. I do try to charge while out, just to show there's a demand for chargers.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Saw a piece on Driving Television about the Audi E-tron. Pretty damn nice. Price and range aren't super, but for a practical, fast charging SUV it looks really good.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This would really suit me but at 45-50K Australian it's probably a bit more than I'm willing to pay. Hoping we eventually get slightly cheaper versions.
You talking about the first edition (more expensive) or the regular price?

Don't know why VW even made a (limited run) more expensive first edition, it just sends the wrong Impression since I'm not even sure final prices are communicated.

Deleted member 8741

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So I was on the Tesla M3 preorder list. I have a 2006 Corolla and I was prepped to replace it when it came out. Unfortunately, my wife's car died unexpectedly and we didn't have the option of waiting. She needs a snow car so we got a Subaru Crosstrek (which is great) and I stuck with my corolla.

Well my Corolla is still going, but slowly falling apart. It's nearing 200,000 miles, starting to rust in certain places a bit, and is just overwhelmingly getting to that point where it's not worth the money spent to repair it.

I would really like to get an EV early next year. I've never bought a new car and most of the cars I've bought are sub $20,000. Our income can easily afford more, but I just haven't been a "new car with all the bells and whistles kinda of guy." That said, I'm now starting to consider it. Right now I'm still leaning toward the Model 3, but would love any thoughts on other options here in the US. I'm bummed I missed most of the tax credits, but oh well.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
I would really like to get an EV early next year. I've never bought a new car and most of the cars I've bought are sub $20,000. Our income can easily afford more, but I just haven't been a "new car with all the bells and whistles kinda of guy." That said, I'm now starting to consider it. Right now I'm still leaning toward the Model 3, but would love any thoughts on other options here in the US. I'm bummed I missed most of the tax credits, but oh well.

If you can wait, Volkswagen's ID.Crozz production model should be in the US by late 2020, and you'll be eligible to receive the full tax credit.

If not, buying used is a good option with a Tesla.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
So I was on the Tesla M3 preorder list. I have a 2006 Corolla and I was prepped to replace it when it came out. Unfortunately, my wife's car died unexpectedly and we didn't have the option of waiting. She needs a snow car so we got a Subaru Crosstrek (which is great) and I stuck with my corolla.

Well my Corolla is still going, but slowly falling apart. It's nearing 200,000 miles, starting to rust in certain places a bit, and is just overwhelmingly getting to that point where it's not worth the money spent to repair it.

I would steer clear of the M3 until they have sorted out the quality issues. Especially in snowy conditions because the bad paint jobs are prone to rusting quickly.

A used Model S or X would be a better buy because they're made out of aluminum.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2020-volvo-xc40-recharge-15.jpg

2020-volvo-xc40-recharge-09.jpg

2020-volvo-xc40-recharge-02.jpg

and one from Mazda

thaivo

Nov 2, 2017
I was in your boat, as I've never really purchased new cars before, but Model 3s even used are almost as expensive as new ones, considering the incentives (which expire at the end of this year). We bought a new white standard range + in early August.

We haven't had it long, so I can't speak much on extended ownership, and we're in California, so no comments on snow. However, what I can say is that we like the car more than we expected, and we expected to like the car. It's definitely amazing in the way it drives and the supercharger network is a revelation compared to what we could find for other manufacturers cars.

That being said, I believe the Chevy Bolt, which is a great car as well has a $7000 manufacture rebate that couples with the 1,850 tax credit, so you could potentially get a Bolt for $30,000 or so after the credit.

DirtyManos

Oct 25, 2017
The Mazda one is super interesting because I love their design language and their cars are relatively on the affordable side. Hopefully the first affordable EV that looks classy.

Jun 6, 2019
Looks like I'm getting an 2019 e-golf on lease. They apply a 7500 rebate and since I am doing 30 months I can get 2500 back from California.

I'd prefer to get something with longer range, but I also don't want to break the bank. Looking at something like 250 a month, and I figure this can buy me time until the model y is out or something comparable.

I was looking at doing the same thing, actually. Maybe an egolf or a Kona. Wasn't aware that the rebate would apply with a lease though. Can you give a little more info on the process here? Anything from how the rebate is applied to what kind of lease it needs to be etc.

Thank you so much!

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was in your boat, as I've never really purchased new cars before, but Model 3s even used are almost as expensive as new ones, considering the incentives (which expire at the end of this year). We bought a new white standard range + in early August.

We haven't had it long, so I can't speak much on extended ownership, and we're in California, so no comments on snow. However, what I can say is that we like the car more than we expected, and we expected to like the car. It's definitely amazing in the way it drives and the supercharger network is a revelation compared to what we could find for other manufacturers cars.

That being said, I believe the Chevy Bolt, which is a great car as well has a $7000 manufacture rebate that couples with the 1,850 tax credit, so you could potentially get a Bolt for $30,000 or so after the credit.

That's helpful, thank you. Yah a friend of ours has a Tesla and I just can't help but love it. We have a lot of charging stations around here too.

What's the $7,000 manufacturer rebate you speak of? I've not seen that.

J-Skee

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Paint issues. There's been many cases with cars that have paint missing in areas or painted too thin. Also the aerodynamic design makes paint chip away on doors and rocker panels. Both will result in rusting if not fixed, which Tesla doesn't want to do.
I haven't noticed this on my Model 3. It's the cold weather that really gets to my car. Not looking forward to it.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017

Don't worry about the tax credits, Tesla has been dropping the price as those phase out such that the net price of the car has gone down over time.

I think at this point any "quality issues" are largely overblown, although there were definitely some rocky patches in their production ramp. I have a fairly early car and it's been more or less fine for me, for what that's worth. (I did have to go to the service center a few times, largely over early production issues like the headlamps which were redesigned and now are rated highly by the IIHS. I haven't been to the service center for anything in over a year now.)

There are alternatives, but most of them are not available in all 50 states (Kia/Hyundai) or have IMHO serious shortcomings (no battery cooling in the Leaf, although if you don't live in a hot climate this might be a non-issue for you). That might pretty much just leave the Chevy Bolt which I think is a good car but does have its own drawbacks (like limited fast charging capability). Still, I'd consider it if I were you, as mentioned before I think there are some aggressive sales incentives going on so it might be a good value if the car works for you. I don't think the Model 3 is going to have any serious competition for at least a year, to be honest.

Also, consider a used EV if this is just going to be a commuter car and you don't need long range. Something like a BMW i3 is a terrible value new but if you can get a used one for cheap that might be a good option. Other EVs that seem to be good used values are the Chevy Spark EV and the Fiat 500e. A used Tesla might also be an option for you, too.

thaivo

Nov 2, 2017
That's helpful, thank you. Yah a friend of ours has a Tesla and I just can't help but love it. We have a lot of charging stations around here too.

What's the $7,000 manufacturer rebate you speak of? I've not seen that.
It was something that a friend of mine, who is looking to either get a Bolt or a Model 3 told my was available through the Chevy Dealership that is over and above the federal incentive. I couldn't find it online or anything, unfortunately. If the prices were comparable, I would advise to go the the Model 3.

Deleted member 8741

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It was something that a friend of mine, who is looking to either get a Bolt or a Model 3 told my was available through the Chevy Dealership that is over and above the federal incentive. I couldn't find it online or anything, unfortunately. If the prices were comparable, I would advise to go the the Model 3.

Yah. I honestly think anything other than a Tesla 3 from my current options would leave me wishing I went with Tesla. For what is ultimately not much of a price difference, I'd like to go with one.

Used is good, but it's one of those rare times I feel like it might be better new. There's a few used 2017 Bolts on sale here for $24k, but they have 50,000 miles. Doesn't feel as worth it. Our Crosstrek is already our snow, road trip, camping vehicle. Would like something for more of our city driving/nice driving. We both only work about 5 miles from home, but I travel occasionally and we get out around the city a decent amount. I think a good electric would last us a long time.

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't noticed this on my Model 3. It's the cold weather that really gets to my car. Not looking forward to it.
The problems started appearing this spring and have been reported through the summer. Tesla probably changed the standard color to white because most of the problem cars were black.

Deleted member 12028

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was looking at doing the same thing, actually. Maybe an egolf or a Kona. Wasn't aware that the rebate would apply with a lease though. Can you give a little more info on the process here? Anything from how the rebate is applied to what kind of lease it needs to be etc.

Thank you so much!

You would want to talk to the dealer, but since the dealer owns the car, they can claim the federal credit. What VW did in my case, is the subtracted the 7500 off the value of the car and the remainder is what determined my lease cost. After that, because I did 30 months (which is the minimum period), I was told the state of CA allows me to submit for the 2500 rebate. I haven't done it yet so not 100% sure if the guy told me correctly. I am happy spending ~300 on the lease per month until there are more electric options on the market and some of the prices come down.

I should mention my cost is higher than my original post because I ended up selecting 30 mos instead of 36.

Jun 6, 2019
You would want to talk to the dealer, but since the dealer owns the car, they can claim the federal credit. What VW did in my case, is the subtracted the 7500 off the value of the car and the remainder is what determined my lease cost. After that, because I did 30 months (which is the minimum period), I was told the state of CA allows me to submit for the 2500 rebate. I haven't done it yet so not 100% sure if the guy told me correctly. I am happy spending ~300 on the lease per month until there are more electric options on the market and some of the prices come down.

I should mention my cost is higher than my original post because I ended up selecting 30 mos instead of 36.

Really appreciate the help! Thanks, man. Any reason in particular you're not considering the Kona? It's similarly priced. Just a tad more expensive.

Deleted member 12028

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really appreciate the help! Thanks, man. Any reason in particular you're not considering the Kona? It's similarly priced. Just a tad more expensive.

The size. I went to look at it and it's way too small... the egolf is just a regular golf with electric. Also, the range on the new egolf says 125 miles, but when you fully charge it says 145 and if you do regen you get miles back that way too. I really love the car.

I will probably get a VW when they bring out their ID line depending on pricing and options later. I didn't want to buy and lock myself in, but I will always have that option later and only have like 11/12k to pay off when the lease term ends. This could easily serve as the 2nd electric car later, but I didn't want to lock in and it was nice getting that 7500k shaved off the top without waiting!

thaivo

Nov 2, 2017
Yah. I honestly think anything other than a Tesla 3 from my current options would leave me wishing I went with Tesla. For what is ultimately not much of a price difference, I'd like to go with one.

Used is good, but it's one of those rare times I feel like it might be better new. There's a few used 2017 Bolts on sale here for $24k, but they have 50,000 miles. Doesn't feel as worth it. Our Crosstrek is already our snow, road trip, camping vehicle. Would like something for more of our city driving/nice driving. We both only work about 5 miles from home, but I travel occasionally and we get out around the city a decent amount. I think a good electric would last us a long time.
Yeah, we're very happy with the Model 3, and they are not really much cheaper used. So buying new is oddly reasonable. Compared to other EVs at this time the aesthetics and amenities are unmatched. It's worth the premium. We're also hopeful that it will last the 300k+ miles that some say EVs can sustain.

The one thing I did sort of regret was not splurging for the long range. 240 is fine for city driving and long trips, but a 310 mile range would be pretty convenient, and I think the modest range loss over time would be felt less. Also the long range has faster charging speeds at V3 super chargers. However 240 seems fine for us, and we've taken a number of long trips. Taking a 20-30 minute break between 200 spans isn't terrible.

Last edited:

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, we're very happy with the Model 3, and they are not really much cheaper used. So buying new is oddly reasonable. Compared to other EVs at this time the aesthetics and amenities are unmatched. It's worth the premium. We're also hopeful that it will last the 300k+ miles that some say EVs can sustain.

The one thing I did sort of regretted was not splurging for the long range. 240 is fine for city driving and long trips, but a 310 mile range would be pretty convenient, and I think the modest range loss over time would be felt less. However 240 seems fine for us, and we've taken a number of long trips.
Does your Model 3 have any upgraded features? I also live in a city and am I leaning towards the smaller range option but am debating the usefulness of the other upgradeable features.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Does your Model 3 have any upgraded features? I also live in a city and am I leaning towards the smaller range option but am debating the usefulness of the other upgradeable features.
what upgraded features are you looking at?

we got the mid range which is 260 miles but they dont make it anymore. But it came with the premium seats and stuff.

we've put over 15k miles on it since december and haven't had a single issue. Also ours is black, no paint issues.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

The one thing I did sort of regretted was not splurging for the long range. 240 is fine for city driving and long trips, but a 310 mile range would be pretty convenient, and I think the modest range loss over time would be felt less. However 240 seems fine for us, and we've taken a number of long trips.

Fyi if you didn't see yet the standard range plus just got bumped up to 250 mile range on Tesla's website this morning so you most likely are in for a range increase in the next software update

Stone Cold

Oct 27, 2017
Interested in the honda insight, anyone have any good info on that vehicle? I like the fact that it doesnt require charging

thaivo

Nov 2, 2017
Well the standard range plus comes with autopilot, which is magical. We didn't and still don't think the full self driving upgrade is worth it, as that may not become a reality for years if ever. The features from FSD right now simply don't matter to us (e.g., smart summon, nav on autopilot).

Because we needed the car within two days we bought A car that was in stock with 19" sport wheels, but personally I would have preferred saving the money and getting the aero wheels. They are also 5% more efficient than the sport wheels.

The interior is semi-premium, so it comes with more speakers, Heated front seats, and internet (at least for now).

MrWhiskers

Oct 27, 2017
I'm obsessively checking for new cars. The new Ford one that's been teased has my interest peaked..... But then again it's a Ford. I didn't even know about the Mazda one either. I love my Mazda 3 right now and it !being unveiled on my birthday. Must be a sign!

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Placed an order for a Tesla Model 3 Long Range yesterday. It's my first "expensive" car. I've always gone for economy cars right underneath the $20,000 range so dropping this much money makes me nervous. I have the money for it, it's just anxiety producing to spend that much on a car. Still, this is the first car in my entire life that I've actually wanted. I've never been much of a car guy - I've always viewed them as just a method of conveyance. But in my current job, I drive around the city all day long and I feel like a complete asshole putting all that CO2 in the air. They're saying end of November/beginning of December for delivery even though the website was all "2 weeks for delivery." Lol.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
A new electric Mazda is a nice surprise, I always thought they would be rather late with the electrification.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A new electric Mazda is a nice surprise, I always thought they would be rather late with the electrification.
the most interesting thing is that they're allegedly using the wankel engine as a range extender. it would mean smaller battery, but it could also mean lower price

also, Peugeot e208

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I really love the interiors of the new Mazdas so am I fairly excited to finally see an EV from them that hopefully takes cues from that rather than all of this new "techy" interiors a great deal of these tend to have.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Placed an order for a Tesla Model 3 Long Range yesterday. It's my first "expensive" car. I've always gone for economy cars right underneath the $20,000 range so dropping this much money makes me nervous. I have the money for it, it's just anxiety producing to spend that much on a car. Still, this is the first car in my entire life that I've actually wanted. I've never been much of a car guy - I've always viewed them as just a method of conveyance. But in my current job, I drive around the city all day long and I feel like a complete asshole putting all that CO2 in the air. They're saying end of November/beginning of December for delivery even though the website was all "2 weeks for delivery." Lol.
Congrats 🙂. I'm also not a car guy so I can definitely relate to a lot of your trepidations regarding that.

So how'd you spec it out?