• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Man, it's so disappointing to see so many electrics announced with no plan to hit the US market.

Right now, I'm driving a 1.2L gas engine Chevy Spark manual, while my wife has a Scion xD manual. She wants a Subaru Crosstrek, which has a hybrid that I'm considering as my next purchase for her (at least a year away, though), and I'd really like an inexpensive electric with modest range. I've heard of electric cars with solar roofs that can charge ~10mi worth of range per sunny day - that's the kind of set up I want, even if it has a sub-100mi range.

It's frustrating that it's taking so long, but they're coming. GM in particular has bet everything on soon transitioning to an electric future. Hell, even Ford is making an electric F-150. The change is coming and it will come fast fairly soon.

When the energy innovation and carbon dividend act is likely passed sometime in the next few years the sea change for the car industry will begin.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Think it's cool that the new VW e-up in Europe, after government incentives, can be had for around 17k€ ... EVs getting there ...

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
And? Your point? What part of "test" or "prototype" or "not going into production untill late next year" do you not understand... Clearly they were trying to push to limit to see what it is was capable of, and they have like 3 or so there I believe.
It was known that the Model S can't handle long circuits at full speed, seems they haven't figured it out.

Also Elon making promises like this:
Elon Musk has said that Tesla expects the production version (coming October/November 2020) to be faster still
He's full of shit.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
It was known that the Model S can't handle long circuits at full speed, seems they haven't figured it out.

Also Elon making promises like this:
He's full of shit.

Except it did handle it? It beat the Taycan time by 20 seconds...that video was from a different day and we have no idea the circumstances. From this article looks like 2 cars and they already completed it 3 times with some times much better than others but all better than the Taycan time, and I have read speculation the blue car is just a current production raven S:

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Man, it's so disappointing to see so many electrics announced with no plan to hit the US market.

Right now, I'm driving a 1.2L gas engine Chevy Spark manual, while my wife has a Scion xD manual. She wants a Subaru Crosstrek, which has a hybrid that I'm considering as my next purchase for her (at least a year away, though), and I'd really like an inexpensive electric with modest range. I've heard of electric cars with solar roofs that can charge ~10mi worth of range per sunny day - that's the kind of set up I want, even if it has a sub-100mi range.

Cool cars not coming to the US market is nothing new unfortunately. Its been the case for decades.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Pointing and laughing at a prototype car being towed is as bad as being alarmed at a EV car that caught on fire in a crash.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

American customers will not have the first all-electric Volkswagen. Period. Mostly because they are not very fond of hatchbacks. We cannot say the same about Canada. It is precisely because of that that the company considers selling the ID.3 in that country.

"I will say that, in the Canadian marketplace, we are taking a very, very, very close look at this car. We are giving it due consideration to bring it into Canada only," Thomas Tetzlaff, spokesman for Volkswagen Canada, told The Globe And Mail.

Some hope for any EV Canucks here like me.

If they bring it here, I'd definitely consider it.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Would they? A used or leased Volt is probably the best deal in the mid-sized sedan market when you take into account it's fuel efficiency.
Yeah I bought a used 2014 volt around a year ago. I'm really happy with it, but EV drivers seem annoyed when I use a public charging station. My apartment doesn't have any charging option so this is my only choice to get a charge. I feel kinda guilty though

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
It's frustrating that it's taking so long, but they're coming. GM in particular has bet everything on soon transitioning to an electric future. Hell, even Ford is making an electric F-150. The change is coming and it will come fast fairly soon.

When the energy innovation and carbon dividend act is likely passed sometime in the next few years the sea change for the car industry will begin.
I'm glad to hear the biggest domestic manufacturers are putting in big strides. My wife and I are eager to get in on the revolution, and that timeline seems to coincide with our ability to afford it.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I bought a used 2014 volt around a year ago. I'm really happy with it, but EV drivers seem annoyed when I use a public charging station. My apartment doesn't have any charging option so this is my only choice to get a charge. I feel kinda guilty though

Eh, they'll get over it.

Do consider asking your property management to install a ChargePoint. For a relatively small upfront cost, it automatically makes the property look much more attractive to certain high income renters.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Pointing and laughing at a prototype car being towed is as bad as being alarmed at a EV car that caught on fire in a crash.
Seriously. Format wars for cars.

The issue is likely a combination of battery type and cooling. The model 3 has different systems on both. On the performance model when you turn on track mode the battery cooling fans kick on. To my knowledge the S doesn't have either of these systems. But I doubt it's long before they do.

What I will laugh at is the garbage infotainment system porsche has allowed people to demo. I wouldn't let anyone demo that as it exists, especially not on a ~150k dollar car.

Do electric vehicle drivers look down on me for driving a Volt?
No. I think every electric car on the road is a great thing.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017

Some EV drivers get frustrated when they see older Volts using Level 2 chargers as they take an unreasonable amount of time to charge at 16A. They also figure you could just use gas and not unnecessarily take up charging time from pure EVs that actually need the range to get where they're going. 32A charging at public charging stations is reasonable imo for PHEVs because that's what most EVs will charge at using a Level 2 charger. If the same charging station offers fast charging and being used for slower Level 2 for an PHEV, then yes, that could be seen as a tad annoying.

Last edited:

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Some EV drivers get frustrated when they see older Volts using Level 2 chargers as they take an unreasonable amount of time to charge at 16A. They also figure you could just use gas and not necessarily take up charging time from pure EVs that actually need the range to get where they're going. 32A charging at public charging stations is reasonable imo for PHEVs because that's what most EVs will charge at using a Level 2 charger. If the same charging station offers fast charging and being used for slower Level 2 for an PHEV, then yes, that could be seen as a tad annoying.

EV owners hate PHEVs because they can drive on gas if their battery is empty, we can't.

Every time I see a Volt plugged in it's full.

Newer PHEVs like the 2nd gen Volt take 2-3 hours. So the owner arrives in the morning plugs it in and the car is done by noon but he's not leaving til 5.

I was stranded in a mall garage because of this. Luckily he didn't lock the plug so I managed to unplug him and start the charge. Still had to wait until there was a spot free close enough to reach the cord.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
EV owners hate PHEVs because they can drive on gas if their battery is empty, we can't.

Every time I see a Volt plugged in it's full.

Newer PHEVs like the 2nd gen Volt take 2-3 hours. So the owner arrives in the morning plugs it in and the car is done by noon but he's not leaving til 5.

I was stranded in a mall garage because of this. Luckily he didn't lock the plug so I managed to unplug him and start the charge. Still had to wait until there was a spot free close enough to reach the cord.

I own a PHEV (Clarity) and agree that it's shitty behavior and it should be on the owner of the fully charged car to remove their car within a reasonable amount of time after charging is complete. Many paid charging stations in area enforce a fee for leaving a charged EV plugged in past its session completion.

This also reveals the larger issue of Level 2 chargers not being really suitable for most public charger situations. The speeds are just too slow to handle areas with a large population of EV drivers. At home, they're great though.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
Some EV drivers get frustrated when they see older Volts using Level 2 chargers as they take an unreasonable amount of time to charge at 16A. They also figure you could just use gas and not unnecessarily take up charging time from pure EVs that actually need the range to get where they're going. 32A charging at public charging stations is reasonable imo for PHEVs because that's what most EVs will charge at using a Level 2 charger. If the same charging station offers fast charging and being used for slower Level 2 for an PHEV, then yes, that could be seen as a tad annoying.
If it's just a tad annoying then I won't think much of it, thanks!

Radiophonic

Oct 25, 2017
I've seen EVs parked in the EV only charging spots at my local downtown parking garage that weren't even plugged in, they presumably just wanted a better parking spot. As a 2012 Volt driver, I'm going to plug in if there's an open spot. I rarely use such spots more than an hour or two anyway. Maybe when I finally get a full electric vehicle I'll be more concerned about it.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
If it's just a tad annoying then I won't think much of it, thanks!

I've seen EVs parked in the EV only charging spots at my local downtown parking garage that weren't even plugged in, they presumably just wanted a better parking spot. As a 2012 Volt driver, I'm going to plug in if there's an open spot. I rarely use such spots more than an hour or two anyway. Maybe when I finally get a full electric vehicle I'll be more concerned about it.

No you shouldn't.

Like anyone else, try and unplug your car when it's done so someone else can use it. They do charge for idle time in more places anyway.

And since EV charging spots are usually prime spots they're often taken but not plugged in, never mind the people in a pickup truck who do it just to be an asshole.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I am starting to shop around for a new car and I feel like it's incumbent upon me to check out some EVs. I can't afford a Tesla (at least not the way I would want it appointed), and I won't buy an American car. With that being the case, what's the best EV in the US market for $35Kish?

Keikaku

Oct 27, 2017
I am starting to shop around for a new car and I feel like it's incumbent upon me to check out some EVs. I can't afford a Tesla (at least not the way I would want it appointed), and I won't buy an American car. With that being the case, what's the best EV in the US market for $35Kish?
Hyundai Kona starts at $36k.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
No you shouldn't.

Like anyone else, try and unplug your car when it's done so someone else can use it. They do charge for idle time in more places anyway.

And since EV charging spots are usually prime spots they're often taken but not plugged in, never mind the people in a pickup truck who do it just to be an asshole.
When did I say I leave it there longer than it needs to be? I never leave my car charging more than 3 hours and I know I'll be longer, I don't park in one of those spots. I can't charge at home so public ones are my only option. I'm saying I won't feel bad about using one if it's only a bit annoying, that's all.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017

Kia Niro or Soul EV
Hyundai Kona or Ioniq
Nissan Leaf

Last edited:

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
First gen Leafs are starting to get in the affordable range for what I want to spend on my next commuter car (10-15k CDN). My daily commute is a shade under 65km. Still debating between that or more modern hybrid like a last gen Accord or Fusion.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do people really think the Model 3 Standard Range (240) will be obsolete in a couple years?

I'm really on the fence in terms of purchasing one.

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
It's the nature of the beast. As new technology gets introduce, old technology becomes obsolete.

A better question to ask is 'Will I ever need to drive more then 240 miles on one charge?'

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Do people really think the Model 3 Standard Range (240) will be obsolete in a couple years?

I'm really on the fence in terms of purchasing one.

I mean look at my post right above yours, people that bought a Model S 7 years ago are still getting software updates. Model 3 has all their latest and greatest tech to the point I think its a much better car than an S, and the computer chip they use is right behind the glove box with idea that it can easily be swapped out for a new one if ever need be... So no it won't be for a very long time.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean look at my post right above yours, people that bought a Model S 7 years ago are still getting software updates. Model 3 has all their latest and greatest tech to the point I think its a much better car than an S, and the computer chip they use is right behind the glove box with idea that it can easily be swapped out for a new one if ever need be... So no it won't be for a very long time.

Hmmm. I work in EV too. Would get free charging/2 years of supercharging. Looking at white with the better wheels...

Decisions, decisions... Thank you.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
Hmmm. I work in EV too. Would get free charging/2 years of supercharging. Looking at white with the better wheels...

Decisions, decisions... Thank you.

Honestly, if you've never driven one go take a test drive, or don't if you're not prepared to get one asap because it will more than make up your mind lol

OP
OP
FliX

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
baVMKqTl.png

Remarkably, Canoo has completed the design and engineering of its first model in just 19 months and is preparing its vehicles for production through a contract manufacturer. The first cars are slated to appear on the road by 2021, according to the company's current leader, Ulrich Kranz.
The heart of the Canoo system though, is its "skateboard" architecture, which houses the batteries and the electric drivetrain in a chassis underneath the vehicle's cabin. All of the company's vehicles will have the same base and different cabins to create all sorts of vehicles for different applications, the company says.
The first vehicle has a five-star safety rating and includes driver and passenger airbags throughout the canoo. The skateboard platform can also support dual, front or rear motor configurations the company said.
Kranz wouldn't say how much Canoo will charge for its subscription service, but said that the company can reduce its cost because it can depreciate the vehicle's value over a seven to 10-year time frame. "These savings we will be able to give back to the customer," he said. And even with the low price, Kranz expects to make a mint with his new company. "We want to be the first EV company that makes a profit with an EV," he says.
The rental model will help, as will the company's conservative rollout plan. Kranz says that Canoo will start offering its subscription vehicles in one geography and scale slowly from there.

ls06Tgol.png