• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really looking forward to the next generation of hybrid and electric pickups. I'm eyeing downsizing my half ton in a few years so an electric Ranger/Colorado would be quite appealing but we'll have to see how things shake out. I'm waiting with bated breath for the next gen hybrid and electric F150.

raYne_07

Oct 27, 2017
This is how the production model of the Taycan will probably look like (stickers removed with Photoshop)

22c8992c-cfa3-473f-96a2jts.png

85e8821b-4668-48b6-af8bj0d.png

c9fb95cd-e9de-4c0b-a4vgj91.png

77b5da5e-877f-45fd-b57yj5r.png

Taycanforum | GyAkUsOu
Pretty faithful to the concept. I'm still salty they couldn't get the concept doors to carry over though. Looks a lot more like just a Pamanera sedan without them. I need to see it in a more exciting color asap.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
For the longest time I was looking into buying a Tesla, but their ability to exist long enough to fully cover a warranty gives me pause. I'm now somewhat considering the Hyundai Kona because of the lifetime battery coverage and the full $7,500 tax credit.

My big issue is that Hyundai doesn't sell this vehicle nationwide yet. For a standard vehicle, for me to buy out of state is not a huge problem - but researching online I am finding conflicting information on whether this is allowed.

Anyone have a take on buying a new EV from another state?

Thanks!

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
For the longest time I was looking into buying a Tesla, but their ability to exist long enough to fully cover a warranty gives me pause. I'm now somewhat considering the Hyundai Kona because of the lifetime battery coverage and the full $7,500 tax credit.

My big issue is that Hyundai doesn't sell this vehicle nationwide yet. For a standard vehicle, for me to buy out of state is not a huge problem - but researching online I am finding conflicting information on whether this is allowed.

Thanks!

Usually this isn't an issue. For example, Honda, who just pulled back all Honda Clarity PHEV shipments to only CA dealers, has said they will still ship the car anywhere for a sale. I also don't see why you couldn't buy in another state and just drive it home (though I don't know if an out-of-state dealer can register your car properly in your own state, I've never done it).

My biggest concern in this situation is more whether a local dealer will have the service/maintenance experience/training to deal with these vehicles.

Biggersmaller

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Minneapolis
Usually this isn't an issue. For example, Honda, who just pulled back all Honda Clarity PHEV shipments to only CA dealers, has said they will still ship the car anywhere for a sale. I also don't see why you couldn't buy in another state and just drive it home (though I don't know if an out-of-state dealer can register your car properly in your own state, I've never done it).

My biggest concern in this situation is more whether a local dealer will have the service/maintenance experience/training to deal with these vehicles.

This is a really good point. I wouldn't have anyone in Minnesota to service the damn thing.

Bummer as I was starting to lean towards that Kona.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks!

I read about people who shipped Kia Soul EVs out of state and if they needed service they pretty much had to ship them back to an area where they were sold.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
I drove a Tesla S performance (80?) about 5 years ago. It knocks you back into your seat as you accelerate. I'll never forget it. No gears, just straight power.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
I read about people who shipped Kia Soul EVs out of state and if they needed service they pretty much had to ship them back to an area where they were sold.
That's just logistics that will be fixed sooner than later. EVs are here to stay so infrastructure will spread quickly.
There are already plenty of companies offering a variety of styles and price points and the selection is only going to increase. All of it will soon have the necessary support.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
That's just logistics that will be fixed sooner than later. EVs are here to stay so infrastructure will spread quickly.
There are already plenty of companies offering a variety of styles and price points and the selection is only going to increase. All of it will soon have the necessary support.

Well, sure. I mean my family has been driving electric for the last few years, I'm just warning them that if they buy a car not sold in their area that service is likely going to be an issue.

I mean sometimes people will do what they have to do, there's someone in my neighborhood with a RAV4 EV (the one with the Tesla powertrain), they are out of region for that (sold only in California I think). I wonder if Tesla will work on that here, I doubt the Toyota dealerships here would touch it.

Deleted member 10612

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I personally do not like the no button trend. Can't adjust shit without looking, it feels clumsy and I hate using voice commands.

Having a dedicated screen for the passenger is going to be a hit with the Porsche crowd, so the SO can just shut the flap while driving :D

I honestly think it's a brilliant move.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taycan sets record at the Nürburgring

Porsche seem to deliver on their promise. Power is available, like I assumed, for at least a lap on the Ring.

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hi All,

Recently got into a severe accident and my car was totaled. As such, I'm pushing up my EV purchase and will be getting a Model 3 likely. I have a few questions:

1) Who is best to finance through? I've heard rumors of a 2.25% rate.
2) The $2,500 payment - that's refunded, correct? I'm confused on the process.
3) I've done some research - are there any similar EVs worth a go?

Thanks for any advice.

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Hi All,

Recently got into a severe accident and my car was totaled. As such, I'm pushing up my EV purchase and will be getting a Model 3 likely. I have a few questions:

Thanks for any advice.

1. No idea, but there a thread about that here: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...rison-spreadsheet-auto-updates-hourly.127779/

Maybe see what your local credit unions offer?

2. It's applied to your purchase at the end of the transaction.

3. Depends on what you mean by similar. As far as the total package (price, range, performance, access to a fast charging network, efficiency), no there is nothing similar. If you don't care about one or more of those things then you can find competing cars that make compromises along axes that you don't care about that should be fine for you.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Hi All,

Thanks for any advice.
1. its going to depend on what you have access to locally vs nationally. ive read a lot of people getting great rates through credit unions.
2. its towards the final purchase price, so once you "buy" it online they'll update the cost for tax title and license minus 2500 you've put down. Get the loan for that amount, unless your putting more down.
3. no, nothing even comes close imo. Especially if you need or want to drive longer distances, the super charging network is unmatched.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Reality check time on the EV 2.0 revolution, Tesla is still the only company taking EVs seriously making them in non-compliance numbers

Top 10 electric cars in the U.S. YTD:

81,100 Tesla Model 3
10,225 Tesla Model X
8,281 Chevy Bolt
8,200 Tesla Model S
6,946 Nissan Leaf
2,511 BMW i3
2,353 VW e-Golf
1,835 Audi e-tron
1,309 Jaguar I-Pace
552 Smart ED

Shirosaki

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Hi All,

Thanks for any advice.
I just got my Model S last week so hopefully I can speak to some of these for you.

1) I went through my local credit union, I'd recommend doing the same.
2) The $2500 goes towards the price of your vehicle, think of it as a pre-downpayment, downpayment lol. You can apply that money towards a different vehicle within 3 days I believe they said, so if you ended up switching different configurations around on their existing lot you could.
3) I personally only kept Tesla as the EV option for me. Until some of the other luxury brands start putting things out there, they'd remain the only option for myself.

Hope you enjoy your new car! Any particular specs you're looking at with the Model 3?

GSG

Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the market for an upgrade to my Volt, I wish there was a good non-Tesla EV option for $45-$50k CAD with decent performance. The Bolt would be a great car to own but I absolutely hate the styling of it.

Feb 1, 2018
I'm in the market for an upgrade to my Volt, I wish there was a good non-Tesla EV option for $45-$50k CAD with decent performance. The Bolt would be a great car to own but I absolutely hate the styling of it.

Have you considered a BMW i3? The 2019 model goes 150 miles on a charge which is respectable. It also has decent performance and is fun to drive.

Feb 1, 2018
Tesla's are seen as cool by a lot of people, and they sell well because of that.

This is a very dismissive statement, like people saying iPhones only sell because something something marketing.

They sell well because they're smartly engineered, fun to drive, comfy and intuitive inside, safe af, and are literally the only EV's with a practical battery life and convenient, economical charging network (no monthly fees + super fast exclusive protocol so stations aren't clogged with hybrids). The cool factor is a product of those things. The polarizing and eccentric CEO adds to that as well.

It's almost as if you just designed an EV worth a damn, and not lazily phone it in as a compliance car (BMW, Honda, et al.), but actually framed it as a next-generation product that your company's growth depends on, people would actually buy it! Wow! Crazy!

Last edited:

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
This is a very dismissive statement, like people saying iPhones only sell because something something marketing.

They sell well because they're smartly engineered, fun to drive, comfy and intuitive inside, safe af, and are literally the only EV's with a practical battery life and convenient, economical charging network (no monthly fees + super fast exclusive protocol so stations aren't clogged with hybrids). The cool factor is a product of those things. The polarizing and eccentric CEO adds to that as well.

It's almost as if you just designed an EV worth a damn, and not lazily phone it in as a compliance car (BMW, Honda, et al.), but actually framed it as a next-generation product that your company's growth depends on, people would actually buy it! Wow! Crazy!

the iphone is probably a bad example given the recent thread about not dating people with green bubbles.

And I'm not saying its only because people think they're cool, because its not a terrible car. I'm just saying it helps. I mean, automotive history is filled with examples of people buying cars that they think are cool over something that is probably a better choice. I do it myself. I mean, just look at all the people buying big suv's because they need to haul people around, but wont consider a van. People definitely care about image, and Tesla's are seen as the cool electric car. Sure they also have the best range, but for the majority of people they don't need that long range for their daily commute. I would also guess a lot of people didn't even consider other electric cars. This kind of thing happens all the time with other brands and models.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
would also guess a lot of people didn't even consider other electric cars. This kind of thing happens all the time with other brands and models

Chances are people don't know much about other brands of electric cars because they don't advertise them much. I've barely seen any ads for the Bolt or other cars.

And I read stories of people going to dealers who know nothing of the EV they supposedly sell, odds are they don't even have one on the lot for a test drive.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Chances are people don't know much about other brands of electric cars because they don't advertise them much. I've barely seen any ads for the Bolt or other cars.

And I read stories of people going to dealers who know nothing of the EV they supposedly sell, odds are they don't even have one on the lot for a test drive.

True. The average person isn't going to research themselves, and I agree the other brands could be doing a bit more to promote their cars. Especially since I know at least Jaguar want to sell more i-pace's, though not many people buy Jaguars anyway. Though that and the e-tron are expensive and compete with the model s and x, so sales will be lower anyway.

And speaking honestly, in the model 3 price bracket, there's not much to choose from. The Nissan still doesn't have proper battery cooling, the I3 is a little expensive, and I'd never buy a GM vehicle, so my only choices would be the e-golf or fiat 500e, at least that's all I know of.

And the problem with dealers is that the salesmen don't give a shit about anything and just want a sale no matter what it is. I've worked at a dealership and can tell you that salesmen are dumb and you shouldn't believe anything they say, ever.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
And speaking honestly, in the model 3 price bracket, there's not much to choose from. The Nissan still doesn't have proper battery cooling, the I3 is a little expensive, and I'd never buy a GM vehicle, so my only choices would be the e-golf or fiat 500e, at least that's all I know of

The Hyundai Kona and Kia Niro CUVs are the only other real competition (assuming you can find one).

Edit: Also the Kia Soul and Hyundai Ioniq

Argyle

Oct 25, 2017
Have you considered a BMW i3? The 2019 model goes 150 miles on a charge which is respectable. It also has decent performance and is fun to drive.

I don't know why anyone would consider buying a new i3, you'd have to absolutely hate Tesla or love BMW to pay Model 3 money and get half the car in an i3.

Now used i3 since they depreciate like crazy... now that makes more sense IMHO.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm absolutely in love with the Jaguar I-Pace. Sadly, it's so damn expensive my only hope would be a pre owned one, and even then I couldn't afford it!

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
I'm absolutely in love with the Jaguar I-Pace. Sadly, it's so damn expensive my only hope would be a pre owned one, and even then I couldn't afford it!

I like the i-Pace too, but its range on a charge is extremely disappointing. While its efficiency is better than Audi e-tron, neither come close to Tesla's.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Really wish the ID3 would come to NA, VW seems to be making a big push for mass market EVs.

Looks pretty nice so far.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really wish the ID3 would come to NA, VW seems to be making a big push for mass market EVs.

Looks pretty nice so far.
as much as it sucks they're not bringing the small car, I can't really fault them for starting with a crossover. would be better if it didn't take so long to come out

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wish I knew if the updated Ioniq EV was coming to the US, and at what price.

All I want is a normal looking car with solid EV range and CarPlay. Feels like I've been waiting forever.

Deleted member 10612

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
While the taycan is going to be good, Im more interested in the Audi e-sedan thing... As it's build on the same plattform as the Porsche and not a conversion car like the etron SUV.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Why are Kia and Hyundai always listed as separate companies? Would Chevy and GMC be listed separately if they released electric trucks?

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
I wish there were more options available on the low end spectrum. 20k and below... but i guess that is still unrealistic it seems...

GSG

Oct 25, 2017

I think I'd rather buy the Bolt over the i3, it's not only expensive, but I hate the styling of it even more than the Bolt. Wish BMW released a more car normal looking car(that looks different than their ICE cars like the i8) rather than the boxy hatchback thing we got with the i3.

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
The Taycan looks more like the mule than I anticipated. Not a fan. Looks like it has tattoo tears.